the people v. derek fisher - a flowchart of ignorance

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
BUMP for all the dumbasses (especially those who claim to be fakers fans) who STUPIDLY were talking about derek fisher.

REMINGTON_BLACK

Sight beyond sight
OG Investor
Picture2.jpg

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
another season and we have the same idiots talking about derek fisher and how slow he is.

here's derek fisher talking about his defense (from april 2009)

Derek Fisher on defense in today's NBA

April 11, 2009 | 3:45 pm

<!-- sphereit start -->I had an interesting exchange with Derek Fisher at practice earlier this week about defense in today's NBA worth passing along...

Q: The way games are called now on the perimeter, with guards especially, how do you quantify defense as a point guard? Is it more about helping? Putting the opposition in the spots you want them on the floor? Or is it still about staying in front of your guy?

Fisher: It's more so about being able to influence guys to have to operate in certain areas and certain positions now. I think you're required to know much more about the guy you're playing against, his strengths and weaknesses, whether he prefers to shoot going left or right, or how he finishes at the basket going left or right, and then try your best to influence him and make him operate in the weaker areas.

But as far as staying in front of him or trying to be physical with him? You can't do it anymore.

Q: Is there anybody in the league that's still considered a "lock down" point guard?
<!-- sphereit end -->

Fisher: (pauses to think) Not that I know of. I don't think at any position there is. I know a lot of people say that about Kobe, but I think in international play he has more an ability to do it than he does at this level. As soon as it looks like a guy is being overly physical they call a foul, even if there's not a lot actually happening. I don't know if there are any. I know there are guys that are capable of being lock down defenders, but the way the game is being called now, with the focus on freedom of movement, it's almost impossible.

Q: So it really emphasizes team defense?

Fisher: Yes, absolutely.

Last edited:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
if i were to make these claims without the link, the countless basketball dunces on BGOL would just claim bullshit.

so i just keep these gems to myself to quietly expose and ferret out the dumb fucks who just like to hear themselves talk (or in this case see their posts).

i can't tell you how many times BGOL clowns have quietly made me chuckle with their nonsense about how derek fisher can't keep anybody in front of him.

but i guess they know more about NBA D than multiple NBA champion starting PG derek fisher.

right?

as a side note, i'm not surprised that none of homers on BGOL were brave enough to post the video of chris webber saying on the air that players who "only want to score and don't want to play D just go to the WEST".

:lol:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
:lol: @ Webber.

i'm trying to find the thread on BGOL where the tuesday morning quarterbacks were talking about how coach jackson doesn't coach/is a lazy coach/doesn't make adjustments.

in that thread i replied that coach jackson doesn't do a lot of whooping and hollering and isn't big on histrionics, and as a result, dumb fuck fans are always claiming that he's not doing a proper job of coaching.

it was a thread where i replied to costanza that his style of coaching is to let men learn how to be men.

if i ever find that thread i'm gonna make A LOT of people look STUPID, because i have quotes from his players saying the EXACT SAME thing i did, and further endorsing coach jackson's method of coaching (not calling time outs, letting players play through rough spots, etc).

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I do remember the thread though with people really getting at Fisher and I think you made your comments before that article you just posted...and I think you were saying the very same thing about Fisher pushing players to areas on the court and it is up to the team to rotate well.... that article is interesting though...because I remember when you could get physical and defend on the perimeter. Derek Harper would foul out in two minutes in this era...

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
i'm trying to find the thread on BGOL where the tuesday morning quarterbacks were talking about how coach jackson doesn't coach/is a lazy coach/doesn't make adjustments.

in that thread i replied that coach jackson doesn't do a lot of whooping and hollering and isn't big on histrionics, and as a result, dumb fuck fans are always claiming that he's not doing a proper job of coaching.

it was a thread where i replied to costanza that his style of coaching is to let men learn how to be men.

if i ever find that thread i'm gonna make A LOT of people look STUPID, because i have quotes from his players saying the EXACT SAME thing i did, and further endorsing coach jackson's method of coaching (not calling time outs, letting players play through rough spots, etc).
Just now seeing this post with all the board difficulties...

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=479863

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Just now seeing this post with all the board difficulties...

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=479863

thanks for that link.

i also tried pulling up the thread where i told another user that cleveland and orlando would both face troubles due to their inability to make FTs and TO their opponents. after reading that, you asked me who i thought would represent the eastern conference.

do you recall the name of that thread?

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

thank you again for the link.

as to why i never responded, i can't make it so simple for others to benefit from my knowledge. if i did, i couldn't expect a discourse. there wouldn't be an exchange of thought, only a pretentious repetition of a few popular (or unpopular) ideas.

i put them at the doorstep; you can't expect me to carry them across the threshold too, can you?

the FACT remains that i pointed out major, and ultimately fatal flaws of both the orlando magic and cleveland cavaliers MORE THAN A MONTH before the playoffs started. MORE THAN FIFTEEN GAMES remaining in the regular season, while casual fans (and BGOL "experts") had orlando and cleveland already pencilled into the NBA finals.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
thank you again for the link.

as to why i never responded, i can't make it so simple for others to benefit from my knowledge. if i did, i couldn't expect a discourse. there wouldn't be an exchange of thought, only a pretentious repetition of a few popular (or unpopular) ideas.

i put them at the doorstep; you can't expect me to carry them across the threshold too, can you?

the FACT remains that i pointed out major, and ultimately fatal flaws of both the orlando magic and cleveland cavaliers MORE THAN A MONTH before the playoffs started. MORE THAN FIFTEEN GAMES remaining in the regular season, while casual fans (and BGOL "experts") had orlando and cleveland already pencilled into the NBA finals.
I'll give you credit on Cleveland and Orlando but your knowledge would be more credible if you had bothered penciling a team into the finals for comparisons sake.

But I'll give you props for being accurate where you were accurate.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

that's generally the idea, but not the NBA version

the encyclopedia of the triangle offense DVD is a good starting place for inquiring minds.

here is a 30 second clip from it where coach winter explains a concept foreign to BGOL basketball fans (how the O is inextricably woven into the D, and not a dichotomy).

this website is probably a better place for BGOL basketball beginners to get their feet wet:

http://coachingbball.proboards.com/

for those who want to be able to understand what transpires when the fakers play (and why tobe's negative play is easy to spot for the informed), check out these 2 blog entries (2008) there:

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/05/lakers-triangle-offense-and-options.html

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/01/lakers-triangle-offense-re-visited.html

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
another season and we have the same idiots talking about derek fisher and how slow he is.

here's derek fisher talking about his defense (from april 2009)

Derek Fisher on defense in today's NBA

April 11, 2009 | 3:45 pm

<!-- sphereit start -->I had an interesting exchange with Derek Fisher at practice earlier this week about defense in today's NBA worth passing along...

Q: The way games are called now on the perimeter, with guards especially, how do you quantify defense as a point guard? Is it more about helping? Putting the opposition in the spots you want them on the floor? Or is it still about staying in front of your guy?

Fisher: It's more so about being able to influence guys to have to operate in certain areas and certain positions now. I think you're required to know much more about the guy you're playing against, his strengths and weaknesses, whether he prefers to shoot going left or right, or how he finishes at the basket going left or right, and then try your best to influence him and make him operate in the weaker areas.

But as far as staying in front of him or trying to be physical with him? You can't do it anymore.

Q: Is there anybody in the league that's still considered a "lock down" point guard?
<!-- sphereit end -->

Fisher: (pauses to think) Not that I know of. I don't think at any position there is. I know a lot of people say that about Kobe, but I think in international play he has more an ability to do it than he does at this level. As soon as it looks like a guy is being overly physical they call a foul, even if there's not a lot actually happening. I don't know if there are any. I know there are guys that are capable of being lock down defenders, but the way the game is being called now, with the focus on freedom of movement, it's almost impossible.

Q: So it really emphasizes team defense?

Fisher: Yes, absolutely.

good article.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
that's generally the idea, but not the NBA version

the encyclopedia of the triangle offense DVD is a good starting place for inquiring minds.

here is a 30 second clip from it where coach winter explains a concept foreign to BGOL basketball fans (how the O is inextricably woven into the D, and not a dichotomy).

this website is probably a better place for BGOL basketball beginners to get their feet wet:

http://coachingbball.proboards.com/

thats what coach jackson uses.

for those who want to be able to understand what transpires when the fakers play (and why tobe's negative play is easy to spot for the informed), check out these 2 blog entries (2008) there:

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/05/lakers-triangle-offense-and-options.html

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/01/lakers-triangle-offense-re-visited.html

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

yes.

referring to the illustrations available at that blog, as opposed to the diagram you googled.

ball goes 1-3-5

which is why it's so difficult for fakers fans to comprehend why it seems as though pau gasol (or lamar odom) disappear from games on the offensive end.

it's because the ball enters the black hole and never reaches the 5 option of the 1-3-5 triangle.

very simple to understand, but dullards like chucker coach collins scratch their heads.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bump

If it wasn't for Fisher's lack of D, the lakers wouldn't have struggled to beat the Hornets or Nets last week, let alone lose to the Rockets last night.

Damn Fisher :smh:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Bump

If it wasn't for Fisher's lack of D, the lakers wouldn't have struggled to beat the Hornets or Nets last week, let alone lose to the Rockets last night.

Damn Fisher :smh:

i laughed my ass off because andrew bynum put up tobe-like numbers from the floor and the fakers gave up 42 points from the arc.

42 points from the arc at 48+%

all those scapegoaters just knew derek fisher was the problem on D.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
but let's make it even more plain for the scapegoating know-nothings who lobbied for derek fisher's ouster:

since derek fisher left, the fakers have surrendered an average of 101.79 points per game.

for context, that would give the fakers the 3rd WORST defense for scoring in the league.

for additional context, the fakers' opponent season average is only 92.65 points per game.

surrender 92.65 points per game WITH derek fisher
surrender 101.79 points per game WITHOUT derek fisher

i LOVE when dumb people get what they ask for.

Last edited:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
it only gets better!

WITH derek fisher, the fakers were giving up 31.87% 3FGA%. for context, that was 2nd best in the league. only the boston celtics were better at defending the arc.

note the PAST tense.

NOW, WITHOUT derek fisher, the fakers are giving up 39.35% 3FGA%. for context, that is the WORST in the league. the denver nuggets surrender only 38.3% from 3FGA.

dumb ass faker fans always scapegoating people out of town.

:cool:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
bump

Anyone see Fisher get lit up for 19 and 7 by Tony Parker in the 1st half of tonight's game v. san antonio?

:hmm:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
bump

Anyone see Fisher get lit up for 19 and 7 by Tony Parker in the 1st half of tonight's game v. san antonio?

:hmm:

that shit was sick(ening)!

14-20 FGAs :eek: and 13 assists for tony parker?

derek fisher's "old legs" couldn't stop him.