the GTFOH here thread

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Nellie Violated Non-Compete Against Dallas During Playoffs?

non-compete clauses can be tricky things. i include self-terminating versions (of limited duration) in my standard contracts as a protection for the information i provide, and also to protect the client.

as i understand it, coach nelson is challenging the no-compete clause in this case, arguing that it should not have been binding since he did not receive compensation.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Isiah Allegedly Asked Dancer To Flirt With Refs

did the SI article omit the part about the allegation that her assistant was "compelled" into having sex with stephon marbury? and that the assistant claimed that she felt she "couldn't" refuse because of his status as a player?

this thing is bound to get uglier and uglier.

here is the complainant, who was making $250K per year, and is about to get SMEARED publicly for cheating on her taxes:

brownesanders.jpg

and here is the cheerleader:

2006-01-25-netsarena.jpg

clinic_image300.jpg

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
did the SI article omit the part about the allegation that her assistant was "compelled" into having sex with stephon marbury? and that the assistant claimed that she felt she "couldn't" refuse because of his status as a player?

this thing is bound to get uglier and uglier.

Yeah, I was reading a snippet of that part in the NY Times...

Talking about Marbury texted the chick a few days later saying "I want some more of that." :cool:

Also said that the cheerleader told Browne that Isiah told her to go to the game officials' lockeroom at halftime to "make them feel good" when in actuality it was just to flirt.

There are a lot of allegations by this Browne chick and it seems like a lot of people are going to get caught up because of her bitterness.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
NBA Suspends Warriors' Jackson, Kings' Artest Seven Games
July 14, 2007 - 2:49 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
The NBA announced today that Stephen Jackson of the Golden State Warriors has been suspended without pay for seven games for pleading guilty to criminal recklessness, in violation of the law of the State of Indiana, and Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings has been suspended without pay for seven games for pleading nolo contendre to infliction of injury on a spouse, in violation of the law of the State of California.

Both suspensions will commence with the first game of the 2007-08 NBA regular season.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Report: Chinese team says Bucks not best for Yi

Reuters

Updated: July 17, 2007, 1:03 PM ET

BEIJING -- The Milwaukee Bucks' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added.

Earlier in July, Yi's Chinese agent said the unsigned player was looking to be traded to another club, despite pledges by Milwaukee officials to do whatever they could to make him feel at home.

Chen expressed concern that Yi would have trouble getting playing time with the Bucks, whose squad boasts Australian 7-footer Andrew Bogut and a number of other tall young players. :rolleyes: :lol:

"The national team and the Olympic Games are now our key considerations ... If [Yi] goes to a team where he can't compete, that would be being irresponsible to the national team," Chen said.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Report: Chinese team says Bucks not best for Yi

this chump just bent the bucks organization (and the fans) over without vaseline.

no 2007 draft pick for 1 of the sorriest teams in the league.

but they deserve this fate for picking an overseas player (from fucking china no less).

dumb bitches all the way around on this one.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Marbury: I'll Play In Italy
July 18, 2007 - 10:52 am
New York Post -
Stephon Marbury made a shocking revelation yesterday, saying that when his contract expires with the Knicks in two years, he's planning to play in Italy.

Marbury, amidst his 38-city, cross-country bus tour to promote his discount Starburys sneakers, told The Post he wants to eventually leave the NBA after having visited Italy in May with his wife.

"I'm not just thinking of doing it, I'm going to do it," Marbury vowed yesterday. "My wife loved it there. It's like a [David] Beckham thing."

The Marburys visited Rome, Milan and Tuscany.

Marbury has one year left on his contract with Steve & Barry's and has told friends he wants to take his sneakers global. Marbury will be 32 when his contract expires.

"I would've played 13 years in the league," said Marbury, who is writing a Web blog for The Post. "That's a lot. Most guys don't get to seven."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
More stupidity from China:

Chinese officials critical of Yao for late arrival at camp

Associated Press

Updated: July 18, 2007, 9:38 AM ET

SHANGHAI, China -- China's official sports association has issued an unprecedented public criticism of Yao Ming for reporting late to national team training.

The Houston Rockets' star was faulted for taking too much time off to recover from his last NBA season. The government's All-China Sports Federation also said he spent too much time planning his wedding and making appearances for the Special Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. :hmm:

"No matter how lofty public welfare activities are, they can't be allowed to take first place in a player's life,'' the China Sports Daily, a federation-owned newspaper, said in an article appearing Tuesday.

"No matter how sweet personal life is, it can't be compared to the exultation of capturing glory for one's nation,'' the article said.

Chinese Web sites later said Yao reported for national teaming training on Wednesday.

The article quoted Li Yuanwei, the national basketball center director, as saying the team's Olympic preparations were built around their major star. Li said he hoped Yao would join the team later this month in the Stankovic Cup.

"Without Yao Ming, a warmup competition is far less valuable,'' the article said.

Throughout his three seasons in the NBA, Yao has largely escaped criticism from China's official media and the government by honoring his national team commitments.

Yet Tuesday's article carried echoes of the bitter accusations hurled at former Dallas Mavericks player Wang Zhizhi, the first Chinese player in the NBA who refused to return to play with the national team. Wang was labeled an immature ingrate and suffered a five-year estrangement from Chinese basketball that ended only last year after he made a humiliating apology.

China will face an All-Star team from the NBA Development League in the Stankovic Cup at home, where the host team will include recent draft pick Yi Jianlian.

The Milwaukee Bucks picked Yi with the No. 6 pick in the NBA draft, but he hasn't committed to playing for them because his agent hoped he would be drafted by a team in a market with a larger Chinese population.

Chinese fans and the former national coach have urged Yi to sign with the Bucks, but the owner of his former team in China, the Guangdong Tigers, recently suggested that the 7-foot power forward's NBA career could be over before it even begins.

"If the Bucks insist, Yi will go back'' to the Chinese league, Chen Haitao was quoted as saying in Tuesday's Chinese-language Beijing News.

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
...this is BIG:

Donaghy under investigation for betting on NBA games

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 20, 2007, 5:42 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The FBI is investigating allegations that veteran NBA referee Tim Donaghy bet on basketball games over the past two seasons, including ones in which he officiated.

Defense attorney John Lauro confirmed Donaghy is under investigation but refused to comment on the allegations or the case.

According to a law enforcement official, authorities are examining whether the referee made calls to affect the point spread in games on which he or associates had wagered.

The law enforcement official, who spoke to The Associated Press on Friday on the condition of anonymity, said the referee was aware of the investigation and had made arrangements to surrender as early as next week to face charges.

The law enforcement official said the bets involved thousands of dollars and were made on games during the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Donaghy officiated 68 games in the 2005-06 season and 63 games in 2006-07. He also worked 20 playoff games, including five last season -- Pistons-Magic on April 23; Warriors-Mavs on April 27; Suns-Lakers on April 29; Nets-Raptors on May 4; and Spurs-Suns on May 12.

In a statement issued late Friday afternoon, commissioner David Stern said the league will help the government in any way it can.

"We would like to assure our fans that no amount of effort, time or personnel is being spared to assist in this investigation, to bring to justice an individual who has betrayed the most sacred trust in professional sports, and to take the necessary steps to protect against this ever happening again," Stern said. "We will have more to say at a press conference that will be scheduled for next week."

The FBI probe, which began recently, also involves allegations that the referee had connections to organized crime associates. Other arrests are expected, the official said.

The referee had a gambling problem, according to the official, and was approached by low-level mob associates through an acquaintance.

The investigation first was reported Friday by the New York Post.

"I'm shocked, terribly shocked," said Gary Benson, an NBA official for 17 years who retired two years ago because of knee problems. "Those are people that you work with and that you literally -- you spend more time with those people than you do with your family."

Benson said he didn't work with Donaghy much.

"You have a lot of acquaintances and very few friends. ... I probably worked a handful of games with him overall, just a handful."

Nevada gambling regulators were not involved in an investigation and had no information about the allegations, said Jerry Markling, enforcement chief for the state Gaming Commission and Gaming Control Board.

Markling, in Las Vegas, said he learned of the probe from news accounts.

"The allegations were new to us," said Mark Clayton, a control board member. "However, we will continue to monitor them to ascertain whether there is any connection to Nevada's licensed sports books."

Veteran oddsmaker John Avello, at the Wynn resort on the Las Vegas Strip, said that without specific information it would be difficult to identify wagering irregularities over the last two seasons.

"At this point, it's too early to know if any games were affected," Avello said, adding that no regulators or investigators had contacted him about the case.

Jay Kornegay, executive director of the sports book at the Las Vegas Hilton, said he had never seen any unusual activity in NBA betting, and was surprised not to have heard about an investigation until Friday.

"Whispers would have happened on the street, and we would have heard something," Kornegay said. "Any type of suspicious or unusual movements, you usually hear in the industry. We're so regulated and policed, any kind of suspicion would be discussed.

"We haven't seen anything like that in the NBA that I can remember," he said, "and we haven't been contacted by anybody."

No referee, umpire, linesmen or other in-game official has ever been arrested or indicted for game- or match-fixing in the history of the four major sports.

Kornegay said legal sports betting in Nevada represents a fraction of sports betting worldwide, with 98.5 percent of all action taken outside the state. Clayton cited a 2005 estimate by the National Gambling Impact Study Commission that found $380 billion is wagered on illegal sports betting, compared with $2.25 billion in legal sports betting in Nevada.

Gambling long has been a problem in sports, and leagues have made a point of educating players of the potential pitfalls. The NBA, for example, discusses gambling at rookie orientation, even bringing in former mobster Michael Franceze to speak.

NBA commissioner David Stern had long objected to putting a team in Las Vegas because it permits betting on basketball, though earlier this year allowed Mayor Oscar Goodman to submit a proposal to owners on how the city would handle wagering on a team if it moved there.

Goodman argues that legalized gambling, monitored by the Nevada Gaming Commission, prevents these types of suspicious activities.

"We're the only regulatory agency in the world that really looks at unusual activity as far as the movement of the line and that type of conduct," he said. "I think it's a good thing that Las Vegas has the type of regulation that makes sure that bad things don't happen."

Donaghy had a run-in with then-Trail Blazer Rasheed Wallace at the Rose Garden four years ago.

Wallace was suspended seven games for threatening Donaghy on the loading dock outside the arena in January 2003. Wallace was apparently upset that Donaghy had called a technical foul on him during a game against Memphis that night.

It was the longest NBA suspension ever levied for something that didn't involve drugs or physical contact. Wallace forfeited an estimated $1.6 million in salary.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Spate Of Controversy Plagues The NBA
July 20, 2007 - 9:50 pm
New York Times -
The news that N.B.A. referee Tim Donaghy is on the verge of criminal charges for betting on games that he officiated is yet another damaging controversy with which Commissioner David Stern and his staff must contend. According to allegations, Donaghy came under the influence of organized crime and may have made calls to affect the final score of games.

This is the third time in recent months that N.B.A. officials have come under scrutiny for their behavior.

In April, the longtime official Joey Crawford was suspended for the rest of the season for improper conduct toward the Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs . Duncan, who had been whistled earlier for a technical foul, was ejected by Crawford late in the third quarter for laughing from the bench after a teammate was called for a foul.

Two weeks later, two Ivy League professors completed a study that said white and black officials called fouls at different rates against white and black players — though the variance was not considered different from other interactions.

The N.B.A. has repeatedly said its system of monitoring and statistically analyzing referee calls ensures the highest level of fairness, with Stern often saying, “They are the most ranked, rated, reviewed, statistically analyzed and mentored group of employees of any company in any place in the world.”

Mike Krzyzewski, the coach of the United States national team, said the league’s reputation was at stake.

“In any sport, you fear certain things: anything that is illegal or unethical which would hurt the purity of the sport. I hope it’s not right,” he said of the allegations against Donaghy. “But if it is, they need to take the steps necessary to preserve the integrity of the game.”

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Yi's Chinese Team Owner The Issue For Bucks?
July 22, 2007 - 12:32 am
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel -
The chief obstacle the Bucks face in getting Yi Jianlian in a Milwaukee uniform is Chen Haitau, the private owner of the Guangdong Tigers, the Chinese Basketball Association team for which Yi plays, according to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writer Bob Wolfley.

According to Wolfley, Chen doesn't merely view Yi as an employee.

Rather, Chen literally owns Yi and wants to make himself richer by negotiating a buyout agreement, retaining a portion of Yi's endorsement income and maintaining Yi as an ambassador to further Chen's business.

It has been suggested Chen might be looking for as much as 50% of all of Yi's endorsement money. :eek:

Yi has to buy out his old contract with the Tigers, agree to assign his representation rights to the Tigers and sign his NBA representation to an agent approved by the Tigers.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
Marc Cornstein, Milicic’s agent, says Milicic’s decision also depends on which teams will allow him to display more of his his shooting and passing skills. He has been used more as a post-up player with the Magic. "I know Darko," agent Marc Cornstein said by phone from Philadelphia. "Wherever he winds up for his second contract, it has to be somewhere where he’s going to be allowed to do what he can do[/I]. That’s extremely important to him. "I think that has to be part of the recruiting pitch. That, to me, is the key to this summer, to find somewhere where he is a central figure or can maximize his talents."

:lol:

these offense oriented euros like pau gasol and tobe slay me with these comical bullshit demands.

this thread has now gone full circle. what is it this summer with stupid whining euros subtly dropping hints about trade requests? one good dumb euro quote deserves another:

Marko Jaric translated from an interview with European media: “I’m not happy with the Kevin Garnett trade. We’re not expected to win and I want to be with a team that fights for the title. If it’s not the Wolves, it must be another team.”

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
cranrab said:
this thread has now gone full circle. what is it this summer with stupid whining euros subtly dropping hints about trade requests? one good dumb euro quote deserves another:

Marko Jaric translated from an interview with European media: “I’m not happy with the Kevin Garnett trade. We’re not expected to win and I want to be with a team that fights for the title. If it’s not the Wolves, it must be another team.”

GOD forbid he'd have to WORK for a ring.. :rolleyes:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Knicks top list of teams to pay luxury tax

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Updated: July 14, 2007, 12:19 PM ET

The New York Knicks can't be feeling very lucky on this Friday The Thirteenth.

Show Me The Money

Big spending doesn't always pay off. Just ask the New York Knicks. The Knicks, who missed the playoffs last season with a 33-49 mark, were strapped with a $45 million luxury-tax bill Friday. That means New York owes almost $40 million more than the second-highest paying team in the Mavs, who finished with the league's best record.

Team Money Owed
1. Knicks $ 45,142,002 :eek:
2. Mavs $ 7,204,968
3. Nuggets $ 2,022,418
4. T-Wolves $ 998,536
5. Spurs $ 196,082

By the end of this business day, you see, each of the NBA's five luxury-tax-paying teams from last season will have received an official invoice from the league stating the "net" amount they must remit.

In the Knicks' case?

The payment due by July 25, according to a league memo distributed this week to all 30 teams: $45 million and change.

That's $45-plus million for a team that went 33-49 and missed the playoffs for a third successive season. It was team president Isiah Thomas' first season as Knicks coach, following a 23-59 nightmare under Larry Brown, with New York going 4-14 to slip out of playoff contention after Thomas received a contract extension on March 12.

The next closest tax bill is the Dallas Mavericks' $7.2 million.

Teams that carried a payroll higher than $65.42 million for the 2006-07 season are required to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax on every dollar over that threshold.

The 25 non-tax-paying teams, meanwhile, will each receive 1/30 of the cumulative tax amount, which computes to nearly $1.9 million per team

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Team Money Owed
1. Knicks $ 45,142,002 :eek:
2. Mavs $ 7,204,968
3. Nuggets $ 2,022,418
4. T-Wolves $ 998,536
5. Spurs $ 196,082

The 25 non-tax-paying teams, meanwhile, will each receive 1/30 of the cumulative tax amount, which computes to nearly $1.9 million per team

So basically, the Knicks have to PAY 25 of 30 teams???
2 million dollars each??? For what exactly??

And how exactly is this determined??

Has this ever happened before?? Because the Knicks have
been spending this much money annually for over 10 years.
Not just while Isiah has been in charge
:hmm:

The man is something else with his deviltry

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
RunawaySlave said:
So basically, the Knicks have to PAY 25 of 30 teams???
2 million dollars each??? For what exactly??

And how exactly is this determined??

Has this ever happened before?? Because the Knicks have
been spending this much money annually for over 10 years.
Not just while Isiah has been in charge
:hmm:

The man is something else with his deviltry

It's all contracts. The Knicks sign people to these big money, long term deals So they have to match every dollar out of their own pocket because of it.

Part of it was Layden's doing. I give credit to Isiah for being able to do the things that he's been able to do, but I think his fuck up was trying to amass enough players to make a deal for K.G. (or one franchise player with a high salary.) Now he's stuck with a lot of people under contract that don't deserve what their being paid.

Other teams may sign players to big money contracts, but not for long periods of time the way the Knicks do.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
From an article on espn.com called Can a reporter/GM lure the NBA's greatest back for one more season?

CRAIG HODGES (Clippers 1982-84, Bucks '84-88, Bulls '89-92)
Craig Hodges

Interest Level: High

Hodges: I'd consider it in a heartbeat. From '92 until now, nobody shoots the ball better than I did. I still shoot my 150 3s a day. There are a lot of teams I can still help.

Reporter/GM: I like you Craig, but why should I take you over Reggie Miller or Allan Houston?

Hodges: No diss on Reggie or Penny, but my question (to them) is, do you know how to win an NBA championship? At the end of the season, who will be standing? I challenge these cats who are coming back to check my stats in terms of winning. Whether it's 3-point contests or championships, I know how to win. Reggie, on the real, last time I saw you hoopin' on the NBA level, you got your motherf----- shot blocked on a breakaway layup that you (didn't) dunk. Last time you saw Craig Hodges, I won a championship. Reggie can come back and be successful, but will he win? What's going on down the stretch, brother? We can all come back because we can see how watered-down (the league) is. It's so sickening to watch this s---.

Reporter/GM: Will it be a problem for you if we don't run the triangle?

Hodges: I'm going to tell you something: When MJ came back, how ugly did his game look outside the triangle? Outside the triangle, Scottie looked ugly. B.J. Armstrong? Ugly. The only one who didn't look ugly? Steve Kerr. Why? He's a shooter. I can knock down Js. Forget the system.

my, we're feeling ourselves a bit much..aren't we Craig? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
We can all come back because we can see how watered-down (the league) is. It's so sickening to watch this s---.

is there an echo in here?

didn't i just write the same thing a few days ago?

:yes:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Phil's Finally In Kobe's Corner -- And It's Bad For Lakers
September 7, 2007 - 6:32 am
Los Angeles Times -
Kobe Bryant has a supporter for his vendetta with Lakers management, and it comes from an unlikely source, The Los Angeles Times is reporting.

Head coach Phil Jackson made his views clear this week in a series of interviews that, in subtler tones, were just as indelibly damaging as Bryant's tagging spree of several months ago.

Like Bryant, Jackson said that a member of the Buss family misled him.

"We were promised by Jim Buss we'd have big changes," he told Petros Papadakis and Matt Smith on their KLAC radio show. "We've yet to see that. We're still looking for that."

Like Bryant, Jackson intimated that Andrew Bynum might be more valuable as trade bait.

"There's incredible pressure for that kid to step up and produce this year," he told the radio hosts, later adding, "He hasn't had the kind of success that generates the kind of press he's had."

Finally, like Bryant, Jackson talked about the need for the Lakers to repair the relationship torn apart by Bryant.

"I think actions are going to have to speak louder than words..." he told The Times' Mark Heisler. "It's going to take some mending and other people in this organization have to be part of it, too."