The deadliest weapon of the 21st century

Imhotep

Star
Registered
Just damn..............

The car bomb was invented in America.

Forget about nuclear missiles, the decisive weapon of the 21st century is the car bomb. All you need is a battered old car, a couple of hundred pounds worth of homemade explosives and you can attack a superpower, start a civil war or just blow up your own government.

When people think of car bombs, they think of insurgents, splinter groups, the Middle East. But surprisingly, the car bomb was invented in America.

The first car bomb, actually a horse-and-cart bomb, was planted on Wall Street on September 16, 1920. Packed with shrapnel, the bomb exploded without warning into the crowd, killing 38 people. The bombing was the work of Italian anarchists.

The Wall Street bomber was never caught. But Wall Street was the blueprint for all future car bomb attacks. Yale historian Beverley Gage says: "The wagon blows up The Wall Street bomber was never caught and the thing that the investigators found was that no-one actually noticed the driver. Having an old wagon around, a peddler's cart, just was not unusual." And that's the deadly nature of the modern car bomb. A car bomb is invisible in everyday traffic but can pack the same explosive punch as an F-16 fighter bomber.

The modern car bomb was also invented in America - by Karl Armstrong, a 22-year-old college drop-out and Vietnam War protester.

Armstrong blew up his Wisconsin university in 1970 with a 1.5-tonne car bomb as a protest against the Nixon administration's war policies. Shockingly, Armstrong got the recipe for the bomb in Encyclopedia Britannica - under 'Explosives'. But there was another twist. Armstrong bought the base material for his bomb - ammonium nitrate, farmers' fertilizer - from the local hardware store for $200. Just by adding diesel fuel, he created the perfect homemade terrorist weapon - an ammonium nitrate fuel oil (ANFO) bomb.
Armstrong's act of serendipity would have appalling global consequences that would spread across the Atlantic to the Troubles in Ireland. The Provisional IRA would plant hundreds of car bombs, which like Armstrong's, came from ammonium nitrate. Every farm in Ireland used the same fertilizer. The IRA's bombs got bigger and stronger.

The biggest IRA bomb of all exploded at 10.27am on Saturday April 24, 1993 when a 3,500lb ANFO truck bomb went off in Bishopsgate in the City of London. The bomb cost the IRA around £500 to make yet cost the British taxpayer £1bn in insurance claims. As bomb disposal officer Mike Coldrick said: "Amazing - it's a real bang for bucks." The Troubles ended soon afterwards and a peace deal was hammered out.

Read the entire article here.............
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/44956,features,the-deadliest-weapon-of-the-21st-century

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Which is more important:
  • Where it was invented; or

• Who uses it to kill whom ???

QueEx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Yes, it matters absolutely.

Would you not judge the one who invents, but doesn't deploy/employ a weapon, quite differently from the one who hasn't a clue about its invention yet uses the weapon to repeatedly kill scores of people ???

QueEx

Imhotep

Star
Registered
Yes, it matters absolutely.

Would you not judge the one who invents, but doesn't deploy/employ a weapon, quite differently from the one who hasn't a clue about its invention yet uses the weapon to repeatedly kill scores of people ???

QueEx

This weapon was created with the intent of death and destruction, the person(s) who creates and uses it are one in the same. Any attempt to separate creator, and the user would be superficial.
Don't judge the "intent" it's the "action" that mattered.......

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
the person(s) who creates and uses it are one in the same. This weapon was created with the intent of death and destruction, Any attempt to separate creator, and the user would be superficial. Don't judge the "intent" it's the "action" that mattered.......
Well, if you say so; but you must know that makes no logical sense. But, if you're going to use that logic, then the Wright brothers are due to be severely condemned, if not tried and convicted, posthumously, for 9-11:
  • they invented the airplane;
  • the airplane was sure to crash and cause death and destruction;

• the Wright Bros. knew it had military implications (to kill people); and

• two airplanes were used to crash the WTC on September 11, 2001;

• hence, the Wright Brothers and the Al Qaeda terrorists are one in the same ???

QueEx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Don't judge the "intent" it's the "action" that mattered.......
I agree with that statement. No matter what reason (intent) a thing is invented, how it is used, that is, what actions are taken using the thing is what matters. But isn't that the same as saying it doesn't matter why a bomb was invented, its who uses it to kill people that is important ???

QueEx

Imhotep

Star
Registered
Well, if you say so; but you must know that makes no logical sense. But, if you're going to use that logic, then the Wright brothers are due to be severely condemned, if not tried and convicted, posthumously, for 9-11:
  • they invented the airplane;
  • the airplane was sure to crash and cause death and destruction;

• the Wright Bros. knew it had military implications (to kill people); and

• two airplanes were used to crash the WTC on September 11, 2001;

• hence, the Wright Brothers and the Al Qaeda terrorists are one in the same ???

QueEx

I was predicating you where going to use gun power or atomic fusion. Every inventor knows the implication of their creation, the Wright brother knew the airplane had military application during its conception. In fact to first plane was sold to the military.

I will leave you with this thought, "if I shot you with a gun and you live, do you really care what the "intent" was, or the final "action".

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I will leave you with this thought, "if I shot you with a gun and you live, do you really care what the "intent" was, or the final "action".
LOL. Actually, this statement supports the point I was trying to make: it matters a whole lot less who invented the gun, its who used the gun to injure/kill.

But, to answer your questions, that I lived is important but so is whether you shot me accidentally, whether you did it recklessly, or whether your intention was to kill me. In the first instance, depending on your pockets, its a civil matter and I may or may not sue. In the second case, still depending upon your pockets, I may or may not sue -- but, your conduct is beginning to get into the criminal realm. In the last instance, whether or not I survived and whether or not I or my heirs sue, its criminal and it (intent) sure as hell matters, to you. LOL

QueEx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
None, according to you; the airstrike, just like the car bomb, are both aimed indiscriminately at civilian targets, right?

QueEx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Both destroy civilian targets and military targets. Both are the tools of cowards.

Of course, you're right, in part, and wrong, in part, but thats the problem with you; you're only interested in that which validates your skewed point of view, hence, you cannot distinquish the realities between two.

QueEx

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
All this over a We-A=pon, uh, hum, brothers, brothers, sistas, mothers, we're all in this together...

Imhotep

Star
Registered
Of course, you're right, in part, and wrong, in part, but thats the problem with you; you're only interested in that which validates your skewed point of view, hence, you cannot distinquish the realities between two.

QueEx

Rule Number 1. No "Personal Attacks" between users. Of course, at some point we all may be guilty of being a bit over zealous in making our points and sometimes frustration may lead to someone accusing another of being .... well ... lets just say, less than intelligent. LOL. Nevertheless, I think it is important that the discussion remains civil and that we avoid the personal attacks.

Rule Number 2. If you must resort to personal attacks to prove your point or disprove someone else's opinions, etc., then perhaps you need to take that to the BGOL board where talking shit is not only tolerated, but expected.

Your in violation of rules posted................

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I don't think I disparaged A.H., or broke any rules. I gave my opinion based on his prior posts. Obviously, you disagree with my opinion; but, thats your opinion.

QueEx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
P.S.

Is this because I called you on your faulty logic in this thread on yesterday?

QueEx

African Herbsman

Star
Registered

QueEx

Please enlighten me sir. No need to get hot under the collar.

actinanass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was predicating you where going to use gun power or atomic fusion. Every inventor knows the implication of their creation, the Wright brother knew the airplane had military application during its conception. In fact to first plane was sold to the military.

why not look at the individual who is using the item for bad intentions?

Believe it or not, everything can be used in a way that you can hurt someone in anyway.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Please enlighten me sir. No need to get hot under the collar.
Bro, I don't get angry at petty shit like this. I simply gave you my opinion, and you disagree. Case closed. Now, if there is some specific policy, etc., that you would like to have a serious back and forth discussion on, I'd be happy to do that.

QueEx

drunkard

Potential Star
Registered
if you wanna go back even further blame the chinese, but they couldnt get the military application quite right.

The dating of gunpowder is as early as 850 A.D. This invention seems to have been discovered in China by accident - by alchemists seeking the elixir of immortality. This earliest account reported the experiment: "some have heated together the saltpeter, sulfure and carbon of charcoal with honey; smoke and flames result, so that their hands and faces have been burnt, and even the whole house burnt down."

The Chinese invention of gunpowder never went much beyond its crudest form, and it was abandoned as a military weapon shortly afterwards. It reached Japan, Islam and then Europe in the 13th century and the Arabs improved gunpowder for military use.

http://www.silk-road.com/artl/gun.shtml

Imhotep

Star
Registered
Bro, I don't get angry at petty shit like this............ I'd be happy to do that...............

QueEx

Are you so spite fulled that you can not afford to answer the "African Herbsman" question without the taint of a estrogen filled retort?

Why did you refer to the question as "petty"?

Do you have some type of Superiority complex?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Your have a need to feel important, that why your pursuing this...

LOL. Bro, stop. Let's keep the convo on issues and not personals. We don't know each other and neither of us knows what the other feels about anything. If you were offended by what I said to A.H., I apologize for that. Let's move on.

Aiight.

QueEx

Imhotep

Star
Registered
LOL. If you were offended by what I said to A.H., I apologize for that. Let's move on.

QueEx

I'll accept your apologize on the behalf of A.H, but you still continue to evade the three original question............:confused:

DarkCity

Support BGOL
Registered

Which is more important:
  • Where it was invented; or

• Who uses it to kill whom ???

QueEx

I would say they are both equally important if the intent is known at the time of invention. I think at the time of invention you have to weigh the pros and cons out and it is your personal responsibility to decide if it is worth it.

voodoo

Star
Registered
The human mind and it's evil and cowardly capacity is the deadliest weapon in all of history. Behind every car bomb, gun, or atomic bomb is a human mind making the decision to take lives.