So where are the anti-regulation/anti union now that another mine has exploded?

Cruise

Star
Registered
Name a company that would not be in business if were not for the government?

What does government and business have to do with one another?

People gotta eat. People need clothes. People need fuel. Do you actually believe if government disappeared, people wouldn't be in business to provide these things?

A better question is "What CORPORATION would exist without government?"

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
ok:

What should be evident is that DC is now enabling "Big Biz" to do what they want. And they took the jobs & taxpayer $$$ away from the country in the process.

I'm just giving an illustration of how DC's intervention is helping the people of Detroit, piggybacking off what Cruise had been sayin'

The heads of corporations are always going to find their way around shit. That's what they do.

He would have had to say something for you to piggyback on.

People gotta eat. People need clothes. People need fuel. Do you actually believe if government disappeared, people wouldn't be in business to provide these things?

thought had a legit question: what business would operate with government? Who would settle disputes? How would product get to the masses if not on state roads?

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Name a company that would not be in business if were not for the government?

...a bunch oof dribble...

Isn't this the same question?

Unless you exist within the barter system or hunt and build your home from logs and mud. and even then who enforces private property laws, what means of economic exchange do you use? This ain't the year 200.

Lamarr

Star
Registered
How much of Cruise do you want to defend ? ? ?

I've noticed that you seem to have an uncanny knack of avoiding questions/issues just like he does.

QueEx

I don't speak for Cruise.

I'm just kickin out somethin for the board in defense of all those "innocent people" affected by govt intervention in the auto industry.

Are we supposed to be happy with the decisions of GM?

Cruise

Star
Registered
...a bunch oof dribble...

Isn't this the same question?

Unless you exist within the barter system or hunt and build your home from logs and mud.

You pro-government-types always act like the world is going to end if Washington DC doesn't tell you what to do.

Do you think the Federal government invented engineering, or masonry, or heating & cooling, or electricity, or plumbing? The government had NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THAT!

So, if government didn't create a single thing you enjoy today, why exactly would they disappear if government does?

and even then who enforces private property laws,

As far as property laws, believe it or not, your neighbors will help you enforce your rights. The Federal government has done a great job of protecting property rights for black people in this country. It's such an admirable history of fairness and equality.

what means of economic exchange do you use? This ain't the year 200.

You have heard of money, right? There was a time when people actually used it in this country. And maybe, just maybe, we can use it again, once this joke called the Federal government disappears.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I'm just kickin out somethin for the board in defense of all those "innocent people" affected by govt intervention in the auto industry.

Like those millions of people who's lives were saved by those bad old government mandated and air bags as well as safety glass belts belts, pollution controls and increased miles per gallon.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

I didn't ask whether you spoke for anyone, I asked "how much of Cruise do you want to defend ? ? ?" That is, I was just checking to see how much of the lunacy do you subscribe to.

Its not a very good practice to answer a question with a question, especially if you haven't answered the question. I know you probably didn't mean to do that and we all tend to do it at times, but it jusst looks like you're dodging the question when thats your only real response.

QueEx

Lamarr

Star
Registered
I didn't ask whether you spoke for anyone, I asked "how much of Cruise do you want to defend ? ? ?" That is, I was just checking to see how much of the lunacy do you subscribe to.

QueEx

Our differences are documented in the thread but let me just say this is a piss-poor excuse to deviate from the substance of the thread. Fuck it, it's Friday!

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Its not a very good practice to answer a question with a question, especially if you haven't answered the question. I know you probably didn't mean to do that and we all tend to do it at times, but it jusst looks like you're dodging the question when thats your only real response.

QueEx

It's futal QueEx.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Our differences are documented in the thread but let me just say this is a piss-poor excuse to deviate from the substance of the thread. Fuck it, it's Friday!

Deviate? Ah, what market based solutions would have saved those Miners lives?

Still waiting...

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

No one has said that at all. Don't "Cruise" us. The decisions of GM are obviously what got them on the gov't teat, unlike Ford. What I'm saying is we, as a nation, were not in a position to handle the freefal collapse of a corporation the size of GM at that time. Unlike most of the banks/financial institutions, people were fired at GM and the company did file bankruptcy. So while it's convenient to call what happened with them a "bailout", it really wasn't.

Do you think the Federal government invented engineering, or masonry, or heating & cooling, or electricity, or plumbing? The government had NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THAT!

No, no government invented those things but in this country the government builds and maintains the roads, and the electrical grids, and all the really big shit that's unprofitable for private companies to build and maintain.

As far as property laws, believe it or not, your neighbors will help you enforce your rights. The Federal government has done a great job of protecting property rights for black people in this country. It's such an admirable history of fairness and equality.

You have heard of money, right? There was a time when people actually used it in this country. And maybe, just maybe, we can use it again, once this joke called the Federal government disappears.

And neighborly love Black folks have received from our White neighbors and each other has been absolutely spotless.

Like those millions of people who's lives were saved by those bad old government mandated and air bags as well as safety glass belts belts, pollution controls and increased miles per gallon.

Somehow these government functions get left out of the equation.

Still waiting...

Cruise

Star
Registered

Still waiting...

It's fascinating how someone who is using a tool of anarchy (the web), cannot see how government is the problem, not the solution.

You have heard of epinions.com, Consumer Reports, Amazon reviews, in fact, this very forum.

All are examples of anarchy in action.

An authority, creates a website outlining mining issues, dangers, suggestions, recommendations, and techniques.

Miners, when they leave the mine, could just use a laptop with wireless to post comments on conditions, production, dangers, safety techniques, and concerns.

They could be updated by blogs, tweets, facebook blasts, email, or software alerts.

Of course, this is simple, painless, effective, and competitive.

The problem is the government-lovers will find some excuse why it can't work.

Or, they will create some fantasy why the government can't allow people to have that power and must FORCE us to pay taxes, regulation, supervision, and a HUGE bureaucracy for something that doesn't work.

TheDynasty

Certified Genius
BGOL Investor
I can see where Dave is coming from on this.

However, it's not economically viable to be bailing out big corporations at the expense of taxpayers who are still reeling from a job market that is continually eroding. The tax base is simply not there to support it, it's a vicious cycle. Recessions are necessary to "clear the junk" out of an economy..businesses that royally screwed up (Citi, GM, Lehman, etc..) need to be flushed away in times like these to allow for recovery.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's fascinating how someone who is using a tool of anarchy (the web), cannot see how government is the problem, not the solution.

You have heard of epinions.com, Consumer Reports, Amazon reviews, in fact, this very forum.

An authority, creates a website outlining mining issues, dangers, suggestions, recommendations, and techniques.

Miners, when they leave the mine, could just use a laptop with wireless to post comments on conditions, production, dangers, safety techniques, and concerns.

They could be updated by blogs, tweets, facebook blasts, email, or software alerts.

Or, they will create some fantasy why the government can't allow people to have that power and must FORCE us to pay taxes, regulation, supervision, and a HUGE bureaucracy for something that doesn't work.

BWAAAHHHHH! :roflmao:

You get more bizarre with each post. So what if the mine coampay says those comments are bull shit, where does this blogging compel the mine owners to act on these comments? Who do they turn to then? There are inspectors now with more technical expertise listing all of the violations. Massey has a long list , years long of mine safety violations. If you haven't figured it out by now, the issues IS NOT inspection, THE ISSUE IS enforcement. In actuality the government has been doing exactly want you want. little or no intervention in private business regulation. What good is it if you are issued a speeding ticket if you are not compelled to pay it? Over the last 20 years or so the fines have been so minuscule that the cost of a life is less than the cost of the fine.

Cruise

Star
Registered

You get more bizarre with each post. So what if the mine coampay says those comments are bull shit, where does this blogging compel the mine owners to act on these comments? Who do they turn to then? There are inspectors now with more technical expertise listing all of the violations. Massey has a long list , years long of mine safety violations. If you haven't figured it out by now, the issues IS NOT inspection, THE ISSUE IS enforcement. In actuality the government has been doing exactly want you want. little or no intervention in private business regulation. What good is it if you are issued a speeding ticket if you are not compelled to pay it? Over the last 20 years or so the fines have been so minuscule that the cost of a life is less than the cost of the fine.

You do know you are making an argument AGAINST the government?

So we agree...

the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS A FAILURE.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Huh??? Also fascinating how you disregard any opinion on what happened with GM (whether you understand it or not) that doesn't agree with your myopic view but you seem to be an expert on W. Va mines. When Lamarr puts out an opinion on that, he can at least claim to have some experience in his family with it. Me, I read, a lot. You can't claim, in any way that any adult would believe you, to do either.

I can see where Dave is coming from on this.

However, it's not economically viable to be bailing out big corporations at the expense of taxpayers who are still reeling from a job market that is continually eroding. The tax base is simply not there to support it, it's a vicious cycle. Recessions are necessary to "clear the junk" out of an economy..businesses that royally screwed up (Citi, GM, Lehman, etc..) need to be flushed away in times like these to allow for recovery.

I don't recessions are a necessity. Market corrections? Yes but full on recessions, especially ones as serious as we go through every 4-5 years aren't.
I'd much rather the government come in a force a restructuring of GM, as they did, than let if just collapse. A business should be allowed to fail (Lehman is dead)but no one business should be allowed to bring everyone else down with it. So GM will survive but it won't be the same animal in many ways. That's a much more sound outcome than what was happening.
I'm much more aggravated by the way the financial institutions were handled. They should have gotten the same rough treatment that GM received (ie, big people losing jobs).

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Stop saying this like it's true. It's not. We've gone over this already and your theory made no sense. Hell, you still haven't answered my question about a successful anarchist society.

You do know you are making an argument AGAINST the government?

So we agree...

the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS A FAILURE.

And your reading comprehension is piss poor. Thought made no such argument. That whole post is a strong argument for stronger government intervention.

Cruise

Star
Registered
Stop saying this like it's true. It's not. We've gone over this already and your theory made no sense. Hell, you still haven't answered my question about a successful anarchist society.

And your reading comprehension is piss poor. Thought made no such argument. That whole post is a strong argument for stronger government intervention.

You would fit in great with the right-wing, white supremacist mentality.

You go around accusing others of doing the very things you love.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

This is his attempt at appearing clever by never responding directly to a direct point.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
update

source: Wall Street Journal

Security Chief Guilty in Mine-Blast Case

A Massey Energy Co. security chief was convicted Wednesday on both charges he was facing related to the investigation of the 2010 explosion in West Virginia that killed 29 miners, in the first criminal case to come from the disaster.

Hughie Elbert Stover was found guilty by a jury in U.S. District Court in Beckley, W.Va., of obstructing a federal criminal investigation, and lying to federal investigators. Mr. Stover, who had been security chief of the Upper Big Branch mine since 1999, faces a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison but remains free pending a Feb. 29 sentencing.

The case marks a victory for the government which has undertaken a broad criminal probe into the blast, the worst U.S. mining accident in four decades. No other mine personnel or Massey officials have been charged but the criminal investigation is continuing.

"Today's verdict sends a clear message that when a person obstructs an investigation—especially an investigation as important as this one—there will be consequences," said U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin.

The obstruction charge was for ordering a security guard to dispose of thousands of security-related documents earlier this year, several months after Mr. Stover was interviewed by investigators about the accident.

Mr. Stover testified Tuesday in his own defense that the records disposal was an innocent oversight, the "stupidest mistake" he had made in his life.

He was charged with lying to federal investigators about notifying mine personnel when government inspectors arrived on the property, which is itself a violation of federal law. He testified that he hadn't lied to investigators about announcing government inspectors because he understood notification to involve using the telephone, a practice he prohibited.

Mr. Stover's attorney, William D. Wilmoth of Steptoe & Johnson, declined to say Wednesday whether he would appeal. "We are all obviously disappointed with the verdict," he said, but noted that "the debate was vigorous" among the jury, which deliberated for about six hours.

Mr. Wilmoth had argued that the government engaged in a "rush to judgment" against his client while the people who were directly responsible for the mine accident have yet to be charged. "Elbert Stover is the head security guard. Now we hope that our government will go after the real villain or villains," he said Wednesday.

In closing arguments, Assistant U.S. Attorney Larry Ellis drew a link between Mr. Stover's trial and potential future cases, according to the Associated Press. "There's too much at stake here," he said, adding that the jury should "send a message that this investigation ought to be allowed to go forward."

Virginia-based Alpha Natural Resources Inc. acquired Massey in June. Alpha officials couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
update

source: Wall Street Journal

Security Chief Guilty in Mine-Blast Case

Great!, though little consolation to the families who lost loved-ones caused by this industry's disregard for regulations and the safety of its workers. And, just to add to the point (or to dispel the 'other' argument opponents of reasonable regulation like to make):

Regulations, taxes
aren't killing small business,
owners say

McClatchy Newspapers
By Kevin G. Hall
September 1, 2011

WASHINGTON — Politicians and business groups often blame excessive regulation and fear of higher taxes for tepid hiring in the economy. However, little evidence of that emerged when McClatchy canvassed a random sample of small business owners across the nation.

"Government regulations are not 'choking' our business, the hospitality business," Bernard Wolfson, the president of Hospitality Operations in Miami, told The Miami Herald. "In order to do business in today's environment, government regulations are necessary and we must deal with them. The health and safety of our guests depend on regulations. It is the government regulations that help keep things in order."

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is among the most vocal critics of the Obama administration, blaming excessive regulation and the administration's overhaul of health care laws for creating an environment of uncertainty that's hampering job creation.

When it's asked what specific regulations harm small businesses _which account for about 65 percent of U.S. jobs — the Chamber of Commerce points to health care, banking and national labor. Yet all these issues weigh much more heavily on big corporations than on small business.

"When you look at regulations in many respects, what a lot of people don't take into account is their secondary impacts," said Giovanni Coratolo, the vice president of small business policy for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. "They pay the price, regardless of whether they are primarily the recipient of the regulation or they are secondarily getting the impact of it. They pay the price in higher costs, whether it is fuel or health care or whether it's being able to find access to capital."

McClatchy reached out to owners of small businesses, many of them mom-and-pop operations, to find out whether they indeed were being choked by regulation, whether uncertainty over taxes affected their hiring plans and whether the health care overhaul was helping or hurting their business.

Their response was surprising.

None of the business owners complained about regulation in their particular industries, and most seemed to welcome it. Some pointed to the lack of regulation in mortgage lending as a principal cause of the financial crisis that brought about the Great Recession of 2007-09 and its grim aftermath.

Wolfson's firm is readying to open a Hampton Inn this year in Miami on land purchased from a condo developer during the housing downturn. His business could be in line for higher taxes if President Barack Obama allows the current, lower rates on the richest Americans to expire in 2012 and return to previous levels.

That didn't seem to bother Wolfson, who through his partnership declares profit and loss as a pass-through on his personal income taxes, as many small businesses do.

"Higher taxes are not good for business, but some of the loopholes and deductions should be looked at," he said.

The answer from Rick Douglas — the owner of Minit Maids, a cleaning service with 17 employees in Charlotte, N.C. — was more blunt.

"I think the rich have to be taxed, sorry," Douglas said. He added that he isn't facing a sea of new regulations but that he does struggle with an old issue, workers' compensation claims.

Douglas told The Charlotte Observer that he's hired more workers this year, citing pent-up demand from customers.

"My theory is that the people that do have jobs are working harder and they have less time to clean. People were holding back for such a long time, and then they started spending a little more," he said.

Then there's Rip Daniels. He owns four businesses in Gulfport, Miss.: real estate ventures, a radio station and a boutique hotel/bistro. He said his problem wasn't regulation.

"Absolutely, positively not. What is choking my business is insurance. What's choking all business is insurance. You cannot go into business, any business — small business or large business — unless you can afford insurance," he told Biloxi's Sun Herald.

Since 2008, Daniels has opened one business and expanded another, hiring as many as 15 people thanks to lower labor costs and an abundance of overqualified job candidates. He credits the federal stimulus effort with helping to keep some smaller firms afloat.

"It allowed those folks to spend and have money and pay for the essentials," said Daniels, whose business pays corporate taxes. He grudgingly supports closing some business tax deductions to reduce the federal budget deficit.

"Who wants to pay more? I certainly don't. I want to pay my fair share, and I do," Daniels said, adding that he wouldn't resist loophole closures to cut deficits.

For Zajic Appliance in south Sacramento, California's capital city, business also has picked up. The company hired two workers this year, bringing the total to 18, said Christopher Zajic, who manages the family business.

One odd reason for his improving business: sales of bank-owned properties in a city that's among those hardest hit by the housing crash. When these houses sell, he said, their new owners generally replace appliances.

California used some of its federal stimulus money to pay for a "Cash for Appliances" program last year, a rebate program for purchases of energy-efficient washing machines and refrigerators.

"It spiked sales," Zajic told The Sacramento Bee, adding that he thinks the effort simply compressed sales into a shorter time period rather than created new demand.

For many small businesses, their chief problem is an old one: navigating the bureaucracy of the Small Business Administration to secure government-backed loans.

"My biggest problem is the current status of the banking system and how it's being over-regulated," Dennis Sweeney, a co-owner of Summit Sportswear Inc., told The Kansas City Star. "I want to grow this business, and I'm using the same credit line that I've been using for five years."

Kansas City-based Summit, 20 years old, supplies college-licensed clothing to university bookstores in four Midwestern states. Sweeney hired his fourth employee in August. He's adding licenses to sell apparel to colleges in the Southeast and Atlantic region, but his company doesn't have inventory or other collateral that bankers usually want to secure loans.

And the small local banks Summit deals with frown on the red tape required for SBA loans, after a loan he got in 2008 took three months of nightmarish documentation.

"It was only $35,000," Sweeney said. "Our bank basically said it would never do that again."

Other small firms say their problem is simply a lack of customers.

"I think the business climate is so shaky that I would not want to undergo any expansion or outlay capital," said Andy Weingarten, who owns Almar Auto Repair in Charlotte. He's thinking about hiring one more mechanic.

Added Barry Grant, the regional president of Meritage Homes Corp., in California, "It starts with jobs. ... There's an awful lot of people sitting on the fence; they're waiting for a sign."

One reason hiring remains dampened is the prolonged slump in the housing sector, a driver of the pre-crisis economy. Meritage builds homes in California and six other states. It'll build fewer than 1,000 homes in the Golden State this year, well below the 2,500 annually it built during boom times.

Another cause of sagging demand for new houses, Grant told The Sacramento Bee, is the planned October change to loan limits in order for a homeowner to qualify for a federal government-insured home loan. It was boosted to as high as $769,000 in parts of the country during the financial crisis, but Republicans in Congress have pushed for a return to lower limits and less government involvement in the housing market.

In Sacramento County, the change would mean a new loan limit of $474,000 to qualify, well below the current $580,000. Around the nation, the loan-limit change has created uncertainty.

"Any uncertainty in the market makes people hold off," said Grant. "It builds a certain level of uncertainty."

Sometimes a small business's struggle has nothing to do with government at all.

Lynn Swager, a co-owner of Brass on Ivory in Edgewater, Md., sells, rents and repairs musical instruments. She faces a completely different sort of challenge.

"The thing that chokes us, believe or not, is the Internet. There are so many things that are accessible on the Internet that they can purchase for less than I can purchase from my distributor," Swager told McClatchy. "Everybody thinks the Internet is this great thing that is happening to the world, but it is really, I think, killing a lot of small business. People that we talk to that are no longer in business say the same thing exactly."

Mark Davis of The Kansas City Star;

Doug Hanks and Hannah Sampson of The Miami Herald;

Donna Harris of the Biloxi Sun Herald;

Dale Kasler of The Sacramento Bee; and

Eleanor Kennedy of The Charlotte Observer

contributed to this article.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/09/...xes-arent-killing.html#storylink=omni_popular

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This should not be the end of investigations in to this tragedy. A lone security person could not bring down this mine. The people at the top had to create an atmosphere for these things to happen.

Last edited:

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: Bloomberg Businessweek

Charged exec cooperating in W.Va. mine blast probe

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — An executive who ran several coal companies for Massey Energy and worked closely with former CEO Don Blankenship faces criminal conspiracy charges and is cooperating with federal prosecutors, a sign that authorities may be aiming their sights even higher in the company as they probe a fatal West Virginia blast that was the nation's worst mine disaster in four decades.

David Craig Hughart, president of a Massey subsidiary that controlled White Buck Coal Co., is named in a federal information document — which signals a defendant is cooperating — filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Beckley.

Although Upper Big Branch is never directly mentioned in the document, U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin told The Associated Press the charges come from the wide-ranging and continuing investigation of the April 2010 explosion that killed 29 men.

Hughart (HYOO'-gurt) is the highest-ranking official yet to be charged, and his cooperation suggests that federal officials could be working their way up the Massey hierarchy. Blankenship was known for dealing directly with presidents of his subsidiaries, possibly even bypassing layers of management in between.

Massey was bought after the disaster by Virginia-based Alpha Natural Resources, which has said it was sealing the mine permanently.

The court document accuses Hughart of working with co-conspirators to ensure miners at White Buck and other, unidentified Massey-owned operations received advance warning about surprise federal inspections many times between 2000 and March 2010.

Those illegal warnings gave workers time to conceal violations that could have led to citations, fines and costly shutdowns, the document says.

Four investigations have concluded that Massey concealed problems at the mine through an elaborate scheme that included sanitized safety-inspection books and an advance-warning system.

The United Mine Workers of America, which accused Massey of "industrial homicide," has demanded that Blankenship and 17 other Massey managers who refused to talk to investigators be compelled to testify publicly or cited for contempt. It says those responsible for the disaster must be brought to justice.

Neither Blankenship nor one of his attorneys immediately responded to an email seeking comment Wednesday.

Hughart could be the link prosecutors need to go up the Massey food chain.

He's been president of at least 10 Massey subsidiaries throughout his career, positions that would have required the consent of a CEO whose micromanagement is well documented. At Big Branch, for example, Blankenship demanded production reports every 30 minutes.

Investigators say that at other Massey mines, Hughart colluded with others to violate laws requiring adequate ventilation, the removal of explosive coal dust and the application of pulverized limestone to prevent explosions.

Hughart has agreed to plead guilty to two charges: felony conspiracy to defraud the federal government by impeding the actions of MSHA, and misdemeanor conspiracy to violate mandatory health and safety standards. The felony charge carries a possible sentence of five years in prison. The misdemeanor carries up to one year.

Goodwin wouldn't say who else might be charged or when. His investigators are "trying to push forward as quickly as we can," Goodwin said, but that developing the necessary evidence means obtaining the cooperation of people like Hughart.

Hughart is the third person to face serious criminal charges in the mine-blast investigation.

Former Upper Big Branch superintendent Gary May is also cooperating with prosecutors. He pleaded guilty to a federal conspiracy charge for his actions at the mine and is set to be sentenced in January.

Former Massey security chief Hughie Elbert Stover, meanwhile, is appealing his conviction last fall on charges he lied to investigators and ordered a subordinate to destroy documents. He was sentenced to three years behind bars — one of the stiffest punishments ever handed down in a mine safety case — but has been free pending appeal. Witnesses testified that Stover instructed mine guards to send radio alerts whenever inspectors entered the property. He's denied any wrongdoing.

The explosion at Upper Big Branch was sparked by worn teeth on a cutting machine, and fueled by methane and coal dust. It was allowed to propagate by clogged and broken water sprayers. The force of the blast traveled miles of underground corridors, rounding corners and doubling back on itself to kill men instantly.

Goodwin's office negotiated a $210 million agreement with Alpha to settle past violations at UBB and other Massey mines, protecting the company from criminal prosecution.

But individuals such as Hughart remain on the hook.

A memo suggesting Blankenship regularly ordered underlings to put profits before safety emerged during a wrongful-death lawsuit filed by the widows of two men killed in a 2006 fire at Massey's Aracoma Coal Alma No. 1 mine.

The memo told workers that if their bosses asked them to build roof supports or perform similar safety-related tasks, "ignore them and run coal."

"This memo is necessary only because we seem not to understand that the coal pays the bills," it said.

Massey settled that lawsuit for undisclosed terms, and Aracoma paid $4.2 million in civil and criminal penalties.

Public records suggest Hughart worked closely for at least 15 years with Blankenship, who retired about eight months after the disaster.

Blankenship dropped out of public view for a while but has been resurfacing. Last month, he donated $300,000 to the Marshall University medical school, and he's been posting his thoughts on politics and other matters on a website.

Gary Quarles, who lost his son Gary Wayne at Upper Big Branch, said he wants the former CEO to face criminal charges.

"Everybody thinks he's above the law," he said. "I want at least something filed against him, to show him you can be had. It doesn't matter what he's charged with, just something. ... Even Martha Stewart went to jail.

"If they can get him in prison for at least a year — and I don't care if he's catered to every day he's there — then at least we got something. That's what we've asked for," Quarles said. "He shouldn't be able to get off scott-free. He was in charge, and everybody knows it.

Clay Mullins, who lost brother Rex in the explosion, is disappointed that no one directly linked to Upper Big Branch was charged Tuesday, but he sees the Hughart charges as "good news" and an indication that investigators are going up the chain of command.

"They need to go after anybody that's done wrong, and it don't have to be at the UBB mine," he said. "That's other lives that man put in danger. People like that, they need to get rid of them. They need to put them away before they kill somebody.

"It's time the United States government stands up to these coal companies — and anybody who acts like that," he said. "They need to cut them down. If they can't abide by the law, then close the doors. Let somebody who can abide by the law run it."

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
blankenshipphoto-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

source: USA Today

Ex-CEO implicated in Massey coal mine case

A former president of a Massey Energy subsidiary implicated the company's chief executive officer for the first time in safety violations as he pleaded guilty Thursday to charges resulting from the 2010 explosion at a Massey mine that killed 29 people.

David Hughart, 54, entered the plea to two federal conspiracy charges in U.S. District Court. He was accused of working with others to ensure miners at White Buck Coal Co. and other Massey-owned operations got advance warning about surprise federal inspections between 2000 and March 2010.

The judge asked Hughart if there was a policy to give advanced warnings and, if so, what company officials ordered the policy.

"What officers are you talking about?" Judge Irene Berger asked.

"The chief executive officer," he replied.

The CEO at the time, Don Blankenship, was not mentioned by name. Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Ruby declined comment about Blankenship after the hearing because the investigation is continuing.

REPORT ON THE DEADLY EXPLOSION: At Upper Big Branch coal mine

Blankenship retired about eight months after the explosion at the Upper Big Branch mine and is the man whom many families of those killed have said they'd like to see prosecuted. Massey has since been bought out by Virginia-based Alpha Natural Resources.

Hughart was cooperating with investigators, a sign that authorities may be gathering evidence to target other Massey officials in their investigation. Prosecutors have declined to say who else could face charges in the wide-ranging probe of the worst U.S. coal mine disaster in four decades.

Blankenship did not immediately respond to messages Thursday. Nor did an attorney who represents him in a civil lawsuit related to the Upper Big Branch disaster.

Blankenship has been re-emerging as a public figure the past year, launching a website where he shares his thoughts and reviving a long-dormant Twitter account.

On April 5, 2010, Massey's Upper Big Branch mine exploded and killed 29 men in southern West Virginia. On a website updated recently, Blankenship calls that day one of the worst of his life.

Many people in West Virginia's coalfields hold Blankenship personally responsible for the blast, accusing him of putting profits before people throughout his long career as an operator. Multiple investigations found the explosion at Montcoal was caused by blatant disregard of federal safety laws, and Blankenship had a well-documented record of micromanaging his mines.

Blankenship had long been a public figure and household name in West Virginia, lavishing millions on conservative political candidates including state Supreme Court Justice Brent Benjamin, and accusing the former head of the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration of lying to Congress.

But the Upper Big Branch disaster made him known outside the state, and a week before his retirement, a national magazine profile labeled him "the dark lord of coal country." The retirement came abruptly on a Friday night, and for a while, he virtually vanished from public view.

Hughart became the highest ranking of three former mine workers convicted since the investigation began into the explosion at Upper Big Branch mine. He faces up to six years and a $350,000 fine when he's sentenced on June 25. Hughart and his attorney, Michael Whitt, were not immediately available for comment after the hearing.

Four investigations into the Upper Big Branch explosion have concluded that Massey concealed problems at the mine through an elaborate scheme that included sanitized safety-inspection books and an advance-warning system. The mine has since been sealed.

Prosecutors also have negotiated a $210 million agreement with the company that bought Massey, Alpha Natural Resources, to settle past violations at Upper Big Branch and other Massey mines. That protects the company from criminal prosecution but leaves individuals open to it.

Gary May, a former superintendent at the Upper Big Branch mine where the blast occurred, was sentenced last month to 21 months in prison for his guilty plea to charges he defrauded the government through his actions at the mine. That included manipulating the mine ventilation system during inspections to fool safety officials and disabling a methane monitor on a cutting machine a few months before the explosion.

May had testified at the February 2012 sentencing of former Massey security chief Hughie Elbert Stover, who was sent to prison for three years for lying to investigators and ordering a subordinate to destroy documents. It was one of the stiffest punishments ever handed down in a mine safety case. In December, a federal appeals court upheld Stover's conviction.

U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin has said his office is sifting through a large amount of information on Upper Big Branch, and the investigation that has moved up the management ladder will continue until all avenues are exhausted. After May was sentenced, Goodwin didn't mention Blankenship when asked about him, noting instead that Hughart supervised a group of mines and had a long career at Massey.