Sergio vs Chavez - Sept 15th.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Press Release: World middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and WBC middleweight title holder*Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.,*along with their respective promoters Lou DiBella (for Martinez) and*Bob Arum and*Fernando Beltran (for Chavez),*will embark on a four-city, two-nation*media tour to promote their*Méxican Independence Day world middleweight championship battle. The media tour starts*on Tuesday, July 10th while the actual fight will take place*September 15th, at the Thomas & Mack Center*in Las Vegas.* It will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.**Details are still being worked out, but the tour cities and dates have been set: July 10 – Los Angeles; July 11 – Las Vegas; July 12 – New York; July 13 – México City.

Artictle #1

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Sergio Martinez: 5 keys to victory for each man
Published Jul 02 2012 by: Edward Fu | Follow us on Facebook & on Twitter

The upcoming fight between Sergio Martinez and Julio Chavez Jr. set for September 15 seems to me like an utter mismatch between a world champion and a boxer living on his father's glory. Nevertheless, Chavez Jr. is coming off some of the best wins and performances of his career, and his worked himself into being the legitimate number 2 guy in the middleweight division. On paper, both fighters seem to look on par with one another, but realistically things may look very different on the night itself.

With that said, let us analyze the 5 keys to victory for each fighter.

5 Keys for Julio Chavez Jr. to defeat Sergio Martinez

Credit: Chris Farina - Top Rank

Reach- The taller fighter, Chavez will need to use his reach to keep Martinez at bay. Using this reach will give him a much better advantage against Martinez as opposed to choosing to fight up close like he usually does.
Composure- As Martinez is an extremely awkward and difficult boxer to fight, Chavez will need to keep his composure and not allow Martinez to frustrate him and get to his head.
Guard- Chavez naturally has no problem keeping his guard up in fights, but may get cocky and drop his guard like he did against Andy Lee. If that happens, Martinez may capitalize on this and potentially knock Chavez down.
Footwork- Chavez will need to be constantly keeping his left foot on the outside of Martinez’s right, so that he will be able to turn Martinez and unleash his straight right hand.
Body Shots- Chavez’s body shots can be extremely brutal and cause significant damage to his opponents. This is something he will need to deliver to Martinez to break him down slowly.

5 Keys for Sergio Martinez to defeat Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Left Hook- Being a natural southpaw, Martinez is able to deliver big and powerful shots with his left hand. We all remember that devastating left he threw to knock out Paul Williams. Boy would we love to see that against Chavez.
Game Plan- In Martinez’s last fight against Macklin, he seemingly looked slow in the early rounds, and only picked up the pace in the later rounds of the fight. That fight could’ve ended much earlier that the 11th. Martinez should start much sooner with aggression and work rate against Chavez once that opening bell sounds, possibly offering him the opportunity to end this fight with a knockout.
Distance- Even as Martinez is the shorter boxer, he will expect Chavez to try to fight close up as is his typical preferred style. Therefore, keeping Chavez a little distance away will give Martinez a much stronger advantage in landing his powerful punches. Martinez is a master at creating distance, and will take half steps back and forward to time Chavez on the way in and keep him at bay.
Crab Guard- Martinez’s usual crab guard will be extremely useful against Chavez’s body shots and will prove awkward for Chavez to land clean body blows. However, Martinez does tend to drop his hands frequently during a fight and he must be careful to not get caught by one of Chavez’s punches.
Footwork- Like Chavez, Martinez will be constantly fighting for outside foot position. By establishing this, Martinez will be able to deliver his powerful left hand.
Each man has the tools and skills to potentially get a win. I give Martinez the edge, but don't discount the size and strength of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Last edited:

Rick Ronson

Banned
Bitch ass shit is happening here.

And on fight night also.

I see what they're doing :smh:

Freddie always got some shit with his fighters.

Bxlegend

Rising Star
OG Investor
Chavez really showed something in his last fight. Looks like he got his dads hook and chin. Sergio by UD

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Chavez Jr-Martinez: Being 20 pounds heavier might not be enough for Julio
July 8th, 2012
By Dan Ambrose: On September 15th, WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-0-1, 32 KO’s) will finally be defending his title against Sergio Martinez (49-2-2, 28 KO’s) in a fight that will give a pretty clear indication of who the best fighter is in the middleweight division.

Martinez, 37, is the faster and bigger puncher of the two, but whether that will be enough to overcome the huge weight advantage for Chavez Jr. is the question. Although Chavez Jr. fights in the middleweight division, the weight he’s been fighting at is in the light heavyweight division range with Chavez Jr. weighing 180lbs. This is a significant amount of weight when you look at the fact that Martinez is a small middleweight and will be lucky if he comes in at 165.
Some boxing fans may think that Chavez Jr’s 15 pound weight advantage will be meaningless against the fast hands and big power of Martinez, but I’m not so sure. What we’re really talking about here is a light heavyweight facing a small middleweight. Chavez Jr’s isn’t fighting at super middleweight (168 lbs) for his fights. He’s past that into the light heavyweight range when he fights. Actually, 180lbs is really a cruiserweight, because the light heavyweight division ends at 175, and anything above that is a cruiserweight up to 200 lbs. Granted, 180 is a small cruiserweight, but it’s a cruiserweight nonetheless.

Martinez has great power, but hitting someone that size may not produce the same kinds of results he’s been getting lately. Chavez Jr. is huge, and that’s not likely to change for this fight. I expect Chavez Jr. to be no less than 180 lbs. He possibly could come in at 175, but that’s not a whole heck of a lot of difference. Martinez is going to have problems in this fight if he can’t stay on the move and/or if he can’t find a way to hurt Chavez Jr. The thing is Martinez can’t stop and trade with Chavez Jr. for any length of time because that weight advantage will be too much for Martinez. This could get in the way of Martinez not being able to sit down on his punches because he’ll have to keep moving the entire time to avoid getting taken out by the bigger body shots from Chavez Jr. Ideally, they should have some kind of rehydration weight limit that would prevent Chavez Jr. from rehydrating up to 180 lbs and walking into the fight weighing that much, but boxing still doesn’t have it’s act together and this kind of thing is still be allowed. Hopefully in the future they’ll change this, but it’ll likely take someone getting seriously hurt by a much bigger fighter before that happens.

I still see Chavez Jr’s huge weight advantage ultimately not being enough for him to pull off the win. This will likely be the same kind of fight as when Martinez beat a hulking Kelly Pavlik, who ballooned up after rehydrating for their 2010 fight.

merce77

Star
Registered
Martinez stops him late. All that size don't mean shit when you're fighting a guy who routinely ko's full blown middleweights. And with Chavez Jr's sloppy style and lack of defense, Chavez face will look like a cheese pizza at the end of this fight.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Martinez stops him late. All that size don't mean shit when you're fighting a guy who routinely ko's full blown middleweights. And with Chavez Jr's sloppy style and lack of defense, Chavez face will look like a cheese pizza at the end of this fight.

Only thing that can happen to counter this is Martinez' own lazy defense allows some bullshit to land. I expect Chavez to get chopped down though.

Last edited:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Expanded Chavez Jr, Martinez Quick Quotes

By Andreas Hale

10 days from their highly anticipated Mexican Independence Day Weekend world championship showdown in Las Vegas, undefeated WBC middleweight champion and Son of the Legend, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-0-1, 32 KOs) and two-division world champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (49-2-2, 28 KOs) hosted an international media conference call.

Sergio Martinez: “I believe that I’m #2 in the sport and that’s good enough to know that I will beat him, he cannot beat me… He doesn’t deserve to be world champion. The only reason is because he’s the son of a legend. His mouth is bigger than his brain. He’s been talking too much and that really ignited how this became personal.”

Lou DiBella: “As his promoter (Sergio’s “hands down”) style still makes me nervous.”

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.: “He’s got a big mouth and I’m going to shut him up once and for all on the 15th. He’s a big clown….I don’t like to lose. That’s the bottom line. Every time I go to the ring and give my all. I go to win. Having an undefeated record is nice but givng everything you have is more important.”

Freddie Roach: “Martinez is a smaller guy and it’s harder to get to his body. But we have traps set to break the body down and take his legs away from him. It’s a difficult task but we’re working on it.”

merce77

Star
Registered
Expanded Chavez Jr, Martinez Quick Quotes

By Andreas Hale

10 days from their highly anticipated Mexican Independence Day Weekend world championship showdown in Las Vegas, undefeated WBC middleweight champion and Son of the Legend, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-0-1, 32 KOs) and two-division world champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (49-2-2, 28 KOs) hosted an international media conference call.

Sergio Martinez: “I believe that I’m #2 in the sport and that’s good enough to know that I will beat him, he cannot beat me… He doesn’t deserve to be world champion. The only reason is because he’s the son of a legend. His mouth is bigger than his brain. He’s been talking too much and that really ignited how this became personal.”

Lou DiBella: “As his promoter (Sergio’s “hands down”) style still makes me nervous.”

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.: “He’s got a big mouth and I’m going to shut him up once and for all on the 15th. He’s a big clown….I don’t like to lose. That’s the bottom line. Every time I go to the ring and give my all. I go to win. Having an undefeated record is nice but givng everything you have is more important.”

Freddie Roach: “Martinez is a smaller guy and it’s harder to get to his body. But we have traps set to break the body down and take his legs away from him. It’s a difficult task but we’re working on it.”

This fight will be the middleweight version of Pac/Margarito. Chavez only hope is to get to Sergio's body. Chavez has zero defense and will be getting hit with clean shots all night. Chin or no chin, this will seriously weaken him for those late rounds. I got a late stoppage for Sergio.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
This fight will be the middleweight version of Pac/Margarito. Chavez only hope is to get to Sergio's body. Chavez has zero defense and will be getting hit with clean shots all night. Chin or no chin, this will seriously weaken him for those late rounds. I got a late stoppage for Sergio.

I got Chavez winning. I think he is going to muscle himself into a victory over a declining Sergio.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Yeah but Chavez will be the size of a light heavyweight. If he can keep moving and keep Chavez off him, a late stoppage looks right.

If Chavez doesn't give a urine specimen again, Sergio shouldn't fight him.

merce77

Star
Registered
I got Chavez winning. I think he is going to muscle himself into a victory over a declining Sergio.

What evidence is there that he's declining? Dude hasn't lost in years and like I said, is routinely ko'ing full blown middleweights. And like usual, Freddie Roach won't have a plan to counter a guy, who is,(again) a better boxer than his guy.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered

What evidence is there that he's declining? Dude hasn't lost in years and like I said, is routinely ko'ing full blown middleweights. And like usual, Freddie Roach won't have a plan to counter a guy, who is,(again) a better boxer than his guy.

For real... and Martinez has KOd his last 4 opponents if I'm not mistaken...

This is deep water for Chavez, and I don't believe he has it mentally to deal with the first fighter who across the board is better than him...

Bastard better take a full drug test though... I used to respect Roach, but frankly, at this point, I believe he is one of the biggest cheats in the sport, and also one of the master at creating the illusion otherwise... :smh:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

That was a headscratcher when he posted that.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

Dude is a full blown troll. He just makes things up.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

This is deep water for Chavez, and I don't believe he has it mentally to deal with the first fighter who across the board is better than him...

Bastard better take a full drug test though... I used to respect Roach, but frankly, at this point, I believe he is one of the biggest cheats in the sport, and also one of the master at creating the illusion otherwise... :smh:

This... but Chavez better hope Martinez come with his bummy defense and Chavez can land something very lucky. Otherwise, I see a brutal beatdown.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

I think he is based on his slow starts and the natural progression of getting older. I think even though he was able to go into another gear when he fought Macklin. It was something about that fight that showed he may have hit his apex and it now coming down. Now is he still better than most fighters? Of course. But he is going to have to work that much harder to perform at the high level we once saw him at. Age will do that to most fighters. I wouldn't be shocked if he wins. I just think Chavez saw an opportunity to get him before someone else did. Not that it was going to happen soon. But Chavez has the tools to get a win off an older Sergio. That is how I see it.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

Chavez will be ready. This is his moment. He has no choice but to seize it. Chavez is a tougher an better fighter now than he was four years ago.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I think he is based on his slow starts and the natural progression of getting older. I think even though he was able to go into another gear when he fought Macklin. It was something about that fight that showed he may have hit his apex and it now coming down. Now is he still better than most fighters? Of course. But he is going to have to work that much harder to perform at the high level we once saw him at. Age will do that to most fighters. I wouldn't be shocked if he wins. I just think Chavez saw an opportunity to get him before someone else did. Not that it was going to happen soon. But Chavez has the tools to get a win off an older Sergio. That is how I see it.

If Sergio was a normal fighter that would have some credence but he didn't start fighting until late and his style is one where he doesn't take a lot of punishment so hes relatively fresh for a fighter of his age.

Chavez will be ready. This is his moment. He has no choice but to seize it. Chavez is a tougher an better fighter now than he was four years ago.

He had no choice. There's nowhere to go but up from Negative Garbage.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
If Sergio was a normal fighter that would have some credence but he didn't start fighting until late and his style is one where he doesn't take a lot of punishment so hes relatively fresh for a fighter of his age.

I was not talking about the toll of the damage from previous fights. I'm talking about the toll of aging has on everyone including him. It is just an opinion. I am not arguing an opinion. I stand by what I said and get where all you guys are coming from. It is going to be a great fight.

Lord Vicious

Rising Star
I'm really not impressed with Chavez Jr.

Forget the name and look at who he's fought.....noone.His biggest comp was Andy Andy.Andy Lee?
He trains when he wants and shows mad disrespect towards Freddie Roach.

Don't get me wrong he could get lucky and land one big shot but i think Sergio is faster and more prepared
,Sergio will stop him late,in the 10th or 11th.But if he doesn't he'll get the UD by just outboxing him and
staying on the outside.

Peace

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Forget the name and look at who he's fought.....noone.His biggest comp was Andy Andy.Andy Lee?

Don't get me wrong he could get lucky and land one big shot but i think Sergio is faster and more prepared
,Sergio will stop him late,in the 10th or 11th.But if he doesn't he'll get the UD by just outboxing him and
staying on the outside.

Peace

That's the way I see it too. The only advantage he really has is his size especially compared to Martinez, who is a small middleweight. If he hasn't found a way to stop Sergio by 8 or 9, he's in real trouble.

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor

staying on the outside.

Peace

I think Jr's bad habits depicted on 24/7 is a ruse. His camp is trying to lure the Martinez camp into a false sense of security. Whether it works or not is the mystery.

merce77

Star
Registered
I think Jr's bad habits depicted on 24/7 is a ruse. His camp is trying to lure the Martinez camp into a false sense of security. Whether it works or not is the mystery.

He's notoriously lazy though, and those were the rumors 2 or 3 years ago. But I do agree with what you're saying, Roach and Pac routinely pull that same bs.

tp2001

Star
Registered
Man Sergio was owning him until the last part of the 11th and the middle of the 12th. He was schooling the guy from the jump until then. Killin Chavez Jr. with the lead rights...mixing in the jab to the head and the left to the body...busting him with pot shots. Moving around the flat footed Chavez Jr. like it was nothing...

It was evident that Chavez Jr. had one plan in mind coming into the fight. He should know better than that, and you would think that with Roach in his corner, he would execute other parts of his game. Shoot, Chavez Sr. would've done better in his son's corner than Roach...

The thing about the 12th round knockdown was that Martinez got caught with shots, but the style that he adopts always leaves him vulnerable to hiccups like that. He's been knocked down before fighting that way

PS...During the fight I heard that Chavez Jr. was not weighed before the fight...why wasn't he? :hmm:

Firefox

Support BGOL
Registered
Man Sergio was owning him until the last part of the 11th and the middle of the 12th. He was schooling the guy from the jump until then. Killin Chavez Jr. with the lead rights...mixing in the jab to the head and the left to the body...busting him with pot shots. Moving around the flat footed Chavez Jr. like it was nothing...

It was evident that Chavez Jr. had one plan in mind coming into the fight. He should know better than that, and you would think that with Roach in his corner, he would execute other parts of his game. Shoot, Chavez Sr. would've done better in his son's corner than Roach...

The thing about the 12th round knockdown was that Martinez got caught with shots, but the style that he adopts always leaves him vulnerable to hiccups like that. He's been knocked down before fighting that way

PS...During the fight I heard that Chavez Jr. was not weighed before the fight...why wasn't he? :hmm:

C/S:yes:

Star
Registered

Come on player, he wasn't weighed the day after the official weigh in.

tp2001

Star
Registered
Come on player, he wasn't weighed the day after the official weigh in.

Which is why I'm kind of asking about that...he's known to be up to 20 pounds over the limit when the fight happens, so people are gonna question why he gets up to that weight so fast...He did it against Rubio in April