Seasonal Affective Disorder

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
After reading the thread posted by Lola about hating it being dark @ 5pm I figured I'd post this.

Seasonal affective disorder or SAD is a type of clinical depression that occurs at a particular time of year and follows a seasonal pattern. It is estimated that 2- 4% of the population suffer from SAD. A recurrent pattern of winter depression occurring over a number of years, and during at least two consecutive years helps confirm a diagnosis of SAD.

It is important for your doctor to rule out a diagnosis of clinical depression or manic-depression, which can also have predictable cycles throughout the year. Most people with SAD have unipolar depression, but as many as 20% may have or go on to develop a bipolar or manic-depressive disorder. Manic or hypo manic episodes can also occur in the spring and summer. It is important to discriminate the improved mood associated with recovery from the winter depression and a manic episode because there are important treatment differences. People should avoid self-diagnosis. There may also exist medial conditions that may cause your depression or interfere with light treatment.

Research studies report women are eight times more likely to suffer from SAD. Seasonal depression often first appear when people are in their 20’s and 30’s. The prevalence of of SAD increases until the mid 50’s when the rates begins to decline. The prevalence of SAD among people over 65 is considerably lower.

The symptoms of SAD differ from clinical depression and include:

* Low mood, reduced interest in normally pleasurable activities, decreased concentration;
* Oversleeping (often an increase of 4 hours or more each day);
* Low energy and fatigue;
* Intense craving for carbohydrates;
* Weight gain and carbohydrate/sweets craving;
* Withdrawal from social contacts;
* Depression.

What causes Seasonal Affective Disorder?

No one knows for sure what causes SAD but researchers believe it may have to do with;

* Fewer daylight hours may reduce important mood altering chemicals in the brain;
* Hormonal disruption (cortisol, thyroid)
* Reduced retinal sensitivity to light,
* Low winter temperatures may trigger the body to rest and disrupt circadian rhythms;
* Barometric pressure and precipitant levels,
* Psychological mechanisms and personality traits may all be contributing factors.

Left untreated SAD can have serious impact social, educational, and work activities as its emergence coincides with a traditionally more demanding period of societal expectations.

How is SAD treated?

The most common form of treatment of SAD is the use of Light Therapy. The use of anti-depressant medication and psychotherapy is also though to provide beneficial results.

Light Therapy:

Light therapy involves exposure to bright light of a particular spectrum. Specially designed Light therapy boxes or visors have been designed to treat SAD. It is recommended that 30 minutes of light exposure (if you have a box with 10,0000 lux), and one hour (if you have a box with 5,000 lux) particularly in the morning, can have a positive benefit to lifting mood and energy. If it is effective, you should feel some relief within two to four weeks of initiating treatment. Treatment is usually continued throughout the winter period when symptoms are present. Some people with predictable episodes of SAD initiate treatment in advance of experiencing symptoms as a way of pre-empting the onset of depression. Research has proven the effectiveness in treating SAD with fluorescent light boxes in approximately 65% of cases. Light therapy can also be delivered through a light visor.

The most common side effects of light therapy reported are: eye strain or visual disturbances, headache, agitation or feeling "wired", nausea, sweating and sedation. These side effects are generally mild and subside with time or by reducing the dose of light. Hypo mania and mania have also been reported as uncommon but serious side effects of light therapy.

Please consult your physician about the treatment and do not start light treatment without an accurate diagnosis by a trained clinician. It is extremely important to let your doctor know if you are considering light therapy because exposure can cause severe reactions in people with certain medical conditions, like epilepsy, or with severe eye ailments like glaucoma, cataracts or retinopathy or if you are taking medication which increase photosensitivity before initiating treatment.

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
I suffer from this and didn't really realize it until a couple of years ago.

It's better now that I'm aware of it.

Machete

Rising Star
Registered
Had a friend with this, I used to dread talking to her in the fall and winter. She was always depressed.

bigirl

anti- voluntary ignorance
BGOL Investor
Pretty sure I have it. I get real withdrawn and sleep alot this time of year and oh boy am I craving the carbs. LOL thats all I want to eat. Real hard to get myself to leave the house. I think its natural though. Most animals hibernate in the winter. My dogs sleep alot more too and only go out to make and wanna come right back in.

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
Had a friend with this, I used to dread talking to her in the fall and winter. She was always depressed.

Yeah I tend to be very down during this time. I cut off all communications with friends and family.

I sleep and I drink more heavily too during the winter. The only thing that keeps me from going totally crazy is seeing my PT.

Machete

Rising Star
Registered
Yeah I tend to be very down during this time. I cut off all communications with friends and family.

I sleep and I drink more heavily too during the winter. The only thing that keeps me from going totally crazy is seeing my PT.

She did that with everyone else cept for me. I'd try to talk her thru it, but I knew that it didn't do much.

She had it bad too, and didn't want to take the meds cuz it made her feel numb.

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor
This time of year reminds me of this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lm8I_Gwy7cc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lm8I_Gwy7cc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
Dang Chicutie....:)

I fall into the hibernation mode this time of year. Its mucked up when you leave home in the morning and its dark you leave work in the evening and its dark and then to make it even so much better there is the cold and the snow....blah...I need me some sunshine and I'm good.