RIP - Ruby Wilson Queen of Beale Street has passed. Another Legend gone..

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
RubyWilson_1471032931340_44204466_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Ruby Wilson, the Queen of Beale Street, has passed away

• Eryn Taylor and Michael Quander

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Miss Ruby Wilson, the Queen of Beale Street, has passed away.

According to the singer's Facebook page, she passed away at 1:10 p.m.

Funeral announcements will be made available at a later date.

The family is expected to speak on her passing Friday evening.

WREG's Michael Quander will be at the meeting, bringing you the latest updates.

We will be streaming the news conference online here.

Wilson's health had taken a turn in the last few years.

She had a stroke in 2009, but recovered and was able to take to the stage at B.B. King's on Beale Street.

"Well, other than our namesake, B.B. King, I don't think there is anyone more instrumental in the redevelopment of Beale Street than Ruby Wilson," said a spokesperson with the restaurant.

Wilson was a respected blues singer, a difference maker, but sassy with a big heart.

Congressman Steve Cohen released a statement saying, "I am saddened by the death of my friend Ruby Wilson. Ruby was a sweetheart of a human being. She was always smiling, upbeat and caring for others in addition to being a fabulous talent who sang of, for and about Memphis. She had a phenomenal life. Ruby brought joy to people’s hearts all over the world and was a legend in her hometown. She was truly the queen of the Blues, Beale Street and Memphis.”

35.149534 -90.04898

Last edited:

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Man I'm going to have to check on the health of Denise LaSalle. She is in her 70's now. Ughhh... All of these legends are getting up there now. I'm not ready for this.

Last edited:

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
R.I.P. been to Beale Street many time back in the late 80's while in the military. I wish I could of heard her sing.