Random Thoughts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
^^^ Yesss I made it for the lunch today ... its always a hit!

I also made some to ship with my friends brownies I baked for her .. btw .. if I baked the brownies Saturday, put in a Tin ..will they be sorta fresh when she gets them .. prob Monday since I still didn't mail it :( :confused:

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
Dear Santa,

I know you are a busy dude this time of year and Mrs. Clause ain't gave you none in 100 years but if you could please delivery me a Giants loss and an Eagles win tomorrow i will let you slide on the rolex i've been asking for...

shywriter

Rising Star
Registered
Not gonna question the fact I'm losing weight despite the fact I pretty much broke my ankle/tore my achilles a month ago.

So glad the NBA is back.

I never thought having a podcast would be as fun as it is, but this shit has been a BLAST.

I forgot all about the erotica stories I used to write for the stories second of the board. Them shits are wack now, LOL

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As in Everest College??????

Unfortunately...I want to burn the building that I have to pass everyday...the shit we do when we get bored... :(:smh::(

Then you tried to cover it up .. oohhh .. i forgot I thought i had someone else .. then it was, I know its not on your list but I thought it was cute. Bitch... I thought the iron spiral christmas tree at walgreens was cute but you don't see me gifting that! And damn, you couldn't even get two and make it a set? Let me set the mood with ONE fucking candle. I can't with lame people. If you won't stay in the spirit of the game, don't play. I really wanted one of those items dammit!

:roflmao3::roflmao3::roflmao3:

GentlemanPlayer

Worldwide from Baltimore
OG Investor
Even though I haven't been on for a minute, I wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Be safe folks.

GP

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
Unfortunately...I want to burn the building that I have to pass everyday...the shit we do when we get bored... :(:smh::(

* puts on geek glasses *
It's sad the flack that proprietary colleges get in the higher ed world, however Everest is one that may deserve the bad rap .. have you ever watched the PBC doc, Colleges Inc.,?

In my grad program I've written a bulk of my papers on proprietary colleges and their contribution or lack thereof, to graduation rates of minority students .. but the fact is they cost way tooooo much (and I work at for-profit school). Sad thing is many for profit students default on their loans. ..

cb71109

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
* puts on geek glasses *
It's sad the flack that proprietary colleges get in the higher ed world, however Everest is one that may deserve the bad rap .. have you ever watched the PBC doc, Colleges Inc.,?

In my grad program I've written a bulk of my papers on proprietary colleges and their contribution or lack thereof, to graduation rates of minority students .. but the fact is they cost way tooooo much (and I work at for-profit school). Sad thing is many for profit students default on their loans. ..

Damn I could of use some information on statistics about for profits schools. I also have to write about these programs because my grad school classes deal with those alot. The only difference is mine deals with the marketing aspect because that's my concentration.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
Damn I could of use some information on statistics about for profits schools. I also have to write about these programs because my grad school classes deal with those alot. The only difference is mine deals with the marketing aspect because that's my concentration.

Nice .. I'm in a higher ed & student affairs program

You can find info on sites like insidehighered.com or The Chronicle of Higher Education .. A lot of the op ed pieces focus on the negative factors with for profit colleges ... Google scholar is a good tool if you configure it with your schools email address .. There are also some cool reports published as well that give some good info.

cb71109

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nice .. I'm in a higher ed & student affairs program

You can find info on sites like insidehighered.com or The Chronicle of Higher Education .. A lot of the op ed pieces focus on the negative factors with for profit colleges ... Google scholar is a good tool if you configure it with your schools email address .. There are also some cool reports published as well that give some good info.

Good Looking out. Also I was still considering going back into education after I graduate. About two years ago I was going to teach school and started substituting to get a feel for it. I really liked it but left because I was in chase of making money in the corporate world. Since I started getting closer to graduation I'm realizing the importance of education in our community. So I just might take on teaching full-time. I only got so long because my graduation is coming in May.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
Good Looking out. Also I was still considering going back into education after I graduate. About two years ago I was going to teach school and started substituting to get a feel for it. I really liked it but left because I was in chase of making money in the corporate world. Since I started getting closer to graduation I'm realizing the importance of education in our community. So I just might take on teaching full-time. I only got so long because my graduation is coming in May.

May is close! Yay for graduation! I just finished the first full year of my program and have about a year more .. I work in a college, first hand with students .. low income students often ..and yess the k-12 system in those areas does need some help .. I swear some of these kids don't have the skills to formulate a sentence if you don't give them the exact words to say .:smh:

cb71109

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
May is close! Yay for graduation! I just finished the first full year of my program and have about a year more .. I work in a college, first hand with students .. low income students often ..and yess the k-12 system in those areas does need some help .. I swear some of these kids don't have the skills to formulate a sentence if you don't give them the exact words to say .:smh:

We'll we can thank those school districts from passing those students years ago knowing they did not have the basics. I'm a hard advocate of making sure students learn the basics before they are passed along. I was really surprised two years ago when I had the help teach high school students 7th grade math in order to pass their TEXES examination. On another note it's also sad that schools do not make part of the examination part of their curriculum. The reason being is because a month before the test all the schools are scrambling to help students with the test. So I'm like why don't the school board or state put the material into the curriculum. I tell alot of people if you want to see some sad sh**, learn what really happens into the education field from k-12, higher education, students, and how things really work.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
We'll we can thank those school districts from passing those students years ago knowing they did not have the basics. I'm a hard advocate of making sure students learn the basics before they are passed along. I was really surprised two years ago when I had the help teach high school students 7th grade math in order to pass their TEXES examination. On another note it's also sad that schools do not make part of the examination part of their curriculum. The reason being is because a month before the test all the schools are scrambling to help students with the test. So I'm like why don't the school board or state put the material into the curriculum. I tell alot of people if you want to see some sad sh**, learn what really happens into the education field from k-12, higher education, students, and how things really work.

See .. I think that's the problem in a lot of schools, they teach students to pass standardized tests vs. critical thinking... This all stemmed after the no child left behind act made it where schools who's students consistently failed tests lost funding vs. what should have been done was give those schools additional resources ..

cb71109

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
See .. I think that's the problem in a lot of schools, they teach students to pass standardized tests vs. critical thinking... This all stemmed after the no child left behind act made it where schools who's students consistently failed tests lost funding vs. what should have been done was give those schools additional resources ..

You can give school additional funding in Texas, but believe me if those funds are going to underfunded school there are plenty of people who wants to bitch about it.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Same to you GP! And to everyone else!

* puts on geek glasses *

I haven't...I'm going to have to look that up.

The real deal is, all schools are for profit, (I work at a state school...the center of MUCH controversy at the moment), don't let the game fool you. Everest already had a case out of California that paid out in the millions because they lied about being able to find students jobs after graduation. I was told I would be able to find employment but until I can get over this I won't say what was promised to me...just know that too was a crock of shit.

They trying to get me for four grand for two classes. When anywhere else I can probably take two classes for under a grand, pay for books, and still have enough money for branded sweatpants that go $50 a pop. This is one of the reasons why I am going to try to do better and keep up my blog...which is about this very same thing, cept I'm just profiling schools individually...and I'm really hoping that it helps people like me trying to do something good...Sad thing is I can believe they default on the loans. Why or how can you pay on something when no one will hire you because of the school you went too? I didn't get my job until AFTER I took Everest off my resume...my cuz went to an unaccredited one for HVAC...has yet to find a job. Got another trying to go back to Sanford Brown...she won't listen to me when I tell her it's a bad idea but she'll figure it out...

cb71109

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The real deal is, all schools are for profit, (I work at a state school...the center of MUCH controversy at the moment), don't let the game fool you. Everest already had a case out of California that paid out in the millions because they lied about being able to find students jobs after graduation. I was told I would be able to find employment but until I can get over this I won't say what was promised to me...just know that too was a crock of shit.

They trying to get me for four grand for two classes. When anywhere else I can probably take two classes for under a grand, pay for books, and still have enough money for branded sweatpants that go $50 a pop. This is one of the reasons why I am going to try to do better and keep up my blog...which is about this very same thing, cept I'm just profiling schools individually...and I'm really hoping that it helps people like me trying to do something good...Sad thing is I can believe they default on the loans. Why or how can you pay on something when no one will hire you because of the school you went too? I didn't get my job until AFTER I took Everest off my resume...my cuz went to an unaccredited one for HVAC...has yet to find a job. Got another trying to go back to Sanford Brown...she won't listen to me when I tell her it's a bad idea but she'll figure it out...

You have to be careful about those for profits school. Over here ATI had lost a lawsuit because they inflated the job prospects. Therefore several programs were eliminated, and those who graduated in those programs degrees are pretty much wasted. Before anybody join a for profit school, they need to do the research, also they need to see if employers have bias opinion about their programs. The reason being is because some do discriminate against people who graduate from those schools.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor

oh hell yeah, all of higher ed is a business! Richard Ruch made some very good observations about that in his book! Schools are chasing endowments, federal and state monies and pure hard cash (tuition dollars!)

Stuff like this is what kinda makes me want to work in policy . but then again I enjoy working with students ... It's all crazy
I do see the differences from when I used to work in a state school and comparing to where I work now ... I work a for-profit that grants associates and BA degrees and models itself after a traditional school, and I do see the positives .. but i also see sooo many differences and why schools get bad raps .. mainly : cost and job placements.. but there is so much more to the impact of colleges on student than cost .. their is the whole liberal arts vs. vocational training aspect that is associated w/ a lot of for-profits .. because some of them are like that ie. Sanford Brown ...

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
run that game on your mom who barely graduated high school the only reason to have to write a paper over christmas break is to prevent from failing... the professor is giving you a break i've been there dont that bro

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
I wish black people would stop saying polices

and wtf is this shit that keeps asking to be downloaded everytime i come on this side of the board?

onyxfemme

Punk Ass Decepticons!
BGOL Investor
My 1st Christmas dinner was a success yesterday! Even if I didnt make the dressing.....:smh:

"We are one, our cause is one, and we must help each other, if we are to succeed." -Frederick Douglass (Kwanzaa day 1: Umoja=one)

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
My 1st Christmas dinner was a success yesterday! Even if I didnt make the dressing.....:smh:

"We are one, our cause is one, and we must help each other, if we are to succeed." -Frederick Douglass (Kwanzaa day 1: Umoja=one)

you used those lessons i got you for your birthday last year did you now

:please:

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
oh hell yeah, all of higher ed is a business! Richard Ruch made some very good observations about that in his book! Schools are chasing endowments, federal and state monies and pure hard cash (tuition dollars!)

Stuff like this is what kinda makes me want to work in policy . but then again I enjoy working with students ... It's all crazy
I do see the differences from when I used to work in a state school and comparing to where I work now ... I work a for-profit that grants associates and BA degrees and models itself after a traditional school, and I do see the positives .. but i also see sooo many differences and why schools get bad raps .. mainly : cost and job placements.. but there is so much more to the impact of colleges on student than cost .. their is the whole liberal arts vs. vocational training aspect that is associated w/ a lot of for-profits .. because some of them are like that ie. Sanford Brown ...

In a way it's not all that surprising. It's Washington's, (Booker not George), educational plan all over again. And right now where I am we got people for it and against it (if you take out the race part). I don't know if there ever will be a true balance between it all where education isn't a slave to prices and where prices dictate efficiency and availability of education.

Though I love what I do (in this incarnation I don't get that much interaction with students :( )it's just a paycheck to me. Hopefully after this week when I send out my letter i can start to plan to make some changes.

GOoooooo Onyx! *thumbs up*

IslandKing

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

iron chef puma :confused::eek:

puma.jpg

+

Z0017313.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.