Queen Dies, Racism Survives

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Opinion | For Black Britons, the late Queen Is the ‘Number One Symbol of White Supremacy’

The only real difference between Black Brits and Black Americans is that Britain offshored its racist violence to the colonies.

A portrait of a young Queen Elizabeth seen through a window between two pillows with the Union Jack flag on them.

Queen Elizabeth II may have been on the throne to witness the dismantling of the empire. But she was also monarch for the brutal subjection of the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya in the fifties. | Christophe Ena/AP Photo

Opinion by KEHINDE ANDREWS
09/13/2022 09:14 AM EDT

Kehinde Andrews is a Professor of Black Studies in the School of Social Sciences at Birmingham City University. He is the author of The New Age of Empire: How Racism and Colonialism Still Rule the World.

BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND—It is a peculiar sensation to live in a nation plunged into mourning when you cannot comprehend the feelings of loss. Whilst the news of Queen Elizabeth’s death sparked concern, sadness and even panic in many of my white colleagues at work last week, I looked on mostly bemused. I am not alone in this feeling of detachment; most of my Black family and friends here feel the same. Yes, it is sad when anyone dies. But none of us knew the Queen; she was not a family member, friend or even acquaintance. She was an image, a figment of the nation’s collective imagination that we were told we must adore.

For the children of the British empire, those of us who were born here and those of us who were born in the 15 nations of the “commonwealth,” the Queen is the number one symbol of white supremacy. She may have been seen as an institution but for us, she was the manifestation of the institutional racism that we have to encounter on a daily basis.

African American intellectual W.E.B. Du Bois best captured this feeling of disconnection when he wrote, “it dawned upon me with a certain suddenness that I was different from the others.” Being both Black and American, Du Bois noted, was to be constantly yoked to“this peculiar sensation, this double-consciousness” with conflicting perspectives on life in the nation.

To be Black and in Britain also means grappling with double-consciousness. The only real difference between Black Brits and Black Americans is that Britain offshored its racist violence to the colonies. This meant that Britain could believe the mirage that the nation did not have the same racial problems as the U.S., which enslaved millions of Africans within its own borders. But you cannot detach Britain from its empire; the colonies were just as, if not more, important to making the nation “great” as anything that took place on these shores. Gold, tobacco, sugar and cotton were the engines of British industrial development, all supplied by slave labor in the Caribbean and Americas. It was Queen Elizabeth I that launched Britain’s slave trade—and the Royal African Company was responsible for enslaving more Africans than any other. Britain’s African colonies were essential for the mineral wealth needed to build modern Britain and India. They were the jewel in the crown of the empire where more than $9 trillion dollars was looted from India alone.

Queen Elizabeth II may have been on the throne to witness the dismantling of the empire. But she was also monarch for the brutal subjection of the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya in the fifties, which Britain recently paid out almost £20 million in compensation to the victims. And she was Queen when the government supported the Nigerian suppression of the Biafran separatists that led to a million children starving to death in the late 60s. The power of the nation and symbolic strength of the monarch have been inseparable from the empire.

My paternal grandmother was born in colonial Jamaica in 1914 and was raised on the fairy tales of the Mother Country and nobility of British royalty. She migrated to Britain in search of better opportunities in the mid 50s as part of the so called Windrush generation, who helped to rebuild the nation after the Second World War. A picture of the Queen had pride of place in her front room and were she alive today, she would have wholeheartedly joined in the collective grief.

But my father grew up in the 1960s, facing the cold realities of British racism and could never feel any warmth to either the nation or its figure head. When he was 13, he followed my grandmother to the U.K. It wasn’t the warmest of welcomes. He had to share a small row house with four other families who each occupied one of the rooms. This kind of overcrowding was commonplace as Black people were forced into the inner-cities and denied decent housing. He witnessed and experienced so much police brutality and harassment that he eventually became a public defender to provide some legal protection to those caught up in the system. Prior to this he was an integral part of the British Black Power movement, protesting and organizing Black-led education, housing and advice initiatives to help Black communities survive our harsh realities.

For my parents, the Queen came to symbolize the racist ills of the country. Their generation was hounded in the streets by fascists who would shout racial slurs and inflict violent assaults if they caught up with them. It is no coincidence that these fascists bathed themselves in the British flag and pledged unflinching allegiance to the Queen.

To this day if a pub is flying a British flag outside, I will not go inside. Suffice it to say, I can’t even imagine my father, who moved back to Jamaica when he retired, owning a picture of the Queen—other than for the sake of parody.

Even as a child, I felt instinctively uncomfortable when we were forced to sing the national anthem “God Save the Queen” in school; I refuse to stand when I hear it now.

The way the royal family treated Prince Harry and Meghan Markle only compounded those feelings. The only time Markle resonated with many Black Britons is when she told of the pain that the racism of being in the family caused. Nobody but Oprah was surprised to learn there were worries in the family about how dark their baby would be.

It was recently revealed that until at least the late 60s, Buckingham Palace banned Black and brown people from being employed there as office workers. It’s not clear how long the ban remained in place because the Queen remained exempt from race and gender equality legislation for her entire life.

So that is why it shouldn’t come as a surprise the Queen was not a figure that the whole nation rallied around. I live in an area of Birmingham, the second largest city in England, which was marked by White flight once Black and Brown people began to move in, much like the U.S. During the Platinum Jubilee, to celebrate seventy years of her reign, my neighborhood was an oasis, completely detached from the street parties and endless bunting that my friends in Whiter neighborhoods had to endure. I distinctly remember seeing more flags in solidarity with Palestine than British ones on display during the celebrations of the Queen’s reign.

Recently, we celebrated the so-called Commonwealth Games, which is essentially a bootleg Olympics. But the Commonwealth is simply a rebrand; the sporting event was originally called the British Empire Games. It is a collection of former colonies headed up by the royal family whose main purpose appears to be to boost Britain’s self-esteem after the end of empire.

Until recently, the Queen presided over the games, decked out in her jewels stolen from various colonies, the head of an (almost) exclusively White family, who parades in the spoils of colonialism and rules over vast empire (or what is left of the Commonwealth). The royal family remains so popular because it is one of the remaining remnants of when Britain was ‘great,’ a living, breathing piece of colonial nostalgia for the nation to indulge in.

The Queen was cherished as a monarch because she did not rock the boat, and there have already been fears about Charles meddling too much in politics as King. The only practical difference her death will make to many of our lives is that the picture on the money and the stamps will change.

Abolishing the monarchy is long overdue.

Now might be an opportunity because the Queen was so popular, and the Commonwealth countries are definitely not all keen on Charles.

And now, as Caribbean nations are renewing their demand for Britain to pay reparations for slavery, it looks like the monarch will be removed as head of state more quickly in the former colonies. That will hopefully have a knock-on effect in Britain.

So, the majority of the nation is mourning the symbol, not the woman, and this is precisely why so many of us will spend the next several weeks in a state of Du Bois’s double-consciousness—once again feeling alienated from Britain because of our experiences of being Black.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
The Real Reason Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are "Furious" Over Treatment of Their Children, Says Expert

1663368087612.png

The death of Queen Elizabeth has undoubtedly shaken up the Royal Family in more ways than one.

Not only is everyone dealing with the grief of losing their family member and the longest reigning British monarch of all time, but the hierarchy has instantly changed and moved everyone up one step closer to the throne.

Additionally,
it has brought into question how non-working royals, specifically Harry, Meghan, and Prince Andrew, should be classified during this difficult period and here on after. And, according to a new report, Harry and Meghan are "furious" over the way their children are being treated.

Harry and Meghan Have Insinuated Their Kids Are Discriminated Against Because of Their Skin Color

1663369839516.png

When Meghan did her bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey she insinuated that her children, Archie and Lillibet, were not given Prince and Princess titles because of their skin color. She said that "the idea of the first member of color in this family not being titled in the same way that the other grandchildren" was concerning to her. When Oprah asked if it was "because of his race," Meghan agreed. "All around this same time — we have in tandem the conversation of, 'He won't be given security, . . . he's not going to be given a title,' and also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he's born," she responded.

The Real Reason Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are "Furious" Over Treatment of Their Children, Says Expert (msn.com)

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
Relegated to Second Row at
Queen Elizabeth’s Funeral

On a day of epic pomp and ceremony, the
royals and the world bid farewell to the
queen. A note from the king on top of her
coffin read, “In loving and devoted memory.
Charles R.”

1663600818687.png
Royalist is The Daily Beast’s newsletter for all things royal and Royal Family. Subscribe here to get it in your inbox every Sunday.

The expectation that the British royal family would use the queen’s funeral to build bridges with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle was rudely shattered Monday morning after the couple were seated in the second row at Queen Elizabeth’s breathtakingly epic state funeral.

Harry was seated in the second row with Meghan, alongside his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie and behind Prince Andrew, the disgraced son of the queen who was expelled from the working ranks of the family over his association with Jeffrey Epstein.

Prince William and Kate Middleton, now the Prince and Princess of Wales, were also in the front row, along with their children—and, astonishingly, also in the front row were Anne’s children Peter Philips and Zara, who are not working royals and never have been. Zara was accompanied by her husband Mike Tindall.

Sarah, Duchess of York, Prince Andrew’s ex-wife and still close friend—once popularly known as “Fergie”—was also present at the service (and in the second row). King Charles looked visibly upset and bereft.

In the careful word of royal symbolism, where nothing is done by mistake, the placement of the Sussexes will have sent an unmistakable message to the Sussexes that they (Harry & Megan) are now very much second-tier members of the family.

It was an extraordinary moment in an extraordinary day, the ceremonial aspects of which began as Big Ben tolled on the minute, as the queen’s body was carried out of Westminster Hall where she has lain in state for four days, prompting miles-long queues around London, by a bearer party of eight Grenadier Guards and borne on a gun carriage to Westminster Abbey to her funeral.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Relegated to Second Row at Queen Elizabeth’s Funeral (thedailybeast.com)

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
King Charles' Interaction With Person of Color in Viral Video Sparks Debate
BY JAMES CRAWFORD-SMITH ON 9/20/22 AT 10:33 AM EDT​

Quality
Fullscreen
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on FlipboardShare via EmailComments
ON THE INTERNETROYAL FAMILYKING CHARLES IIIDEBATESOCIAL MEDIA

Aviral video showing King Charles III's interaction with a person of color while greeting crowd members in the days before Queen Elizabeth II's state funeral has sparked debate online.

The video has been viewed more than 5 million times since being uploaded to Twitter by user @RamaboduObakeng, who wrote: "Black man, you are on your own."

It comes as discussions surrounding the royal family and race have become increasingly prevalent in recent years. This follows interviews given by the Duchess of Sussex on her experiences as the first biracial person to marry into the senior branch of the British monarchy.

The video was taken from news coverage of an engagement where King Charles and the Prince of Wales met with members of the public lining up to view the late queen's lying-in-state.
NEWSWEEK NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP >
King Charles III Walkabout

King Charles III is photographed meeting members of the public who had lined up to see the lying-in-state of Queen Elizabeth II in London on September 17, 2022. An interaction from his walkabout has gone viral on Twitter.KARWAI TANG/WIREIMAGE

The video's caption appeared to suggest that a person of color in the crowd did not get a personal interaction with the king while other people around him did.

"This guy did it deliberately," wrote one user about Charles, with another adding that the clip was "interesting."

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation

Black man, you are on your own .

Obakeng Ramabodu
@RamaboduObakeng

Black man, you are on your own .

King Charles' Interaction With Person of Color in Viral Video Sparks Debate (newsweek.com)

Attachments

• 1663763287165.png
    1663763287165.png
    550.5 KB · Views: 1

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
English football is consumed by racism and hatred.
Can the cycle be broken?

Wave of abuse directed at players on social media
is part of a deep societal crisis but perhaps football
can provide a solution

1664145157395.png

Mon 8 Feb 2021 13.00 EST

Four decades ago, before his England debut, Cyrille Regis was sent a bullet in the post by a racist fan.
In 2008, shortly after being appointed as Chelsea’s manager, Avram Grant was deluged with dozens of antisemitic emails.
These days, as footballers continue to be subjected to racist abuse on Twitter and Instagram, the temptation is to wonder whether anything has changed except the method of delivery.

The recent wave of social media abuse – directed primarily at prominent black footballers – follows a well-worn pattern. The incidents begin to cluster with a grisly momentum: Marcus Rashford, Axel Tuanzebe on two separate occasions, Anthony Martial, Reece James, Romaine Sawyers, Alex Jankewitz and Lauren James. Statements are issued. Governing bodies, broadcasters and public figures clamber over each other to offer their condemnation, often by way of a fancy social media graphic. And then, like any wave, the anger subsides. The news cycle gets bored. Racism carries on, and so does everyone else. Until the next wave, at least.

As Rashford put it last week: “Only time will tell if the situation improves. But it’s not improved over the last few years.”

Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba take a knee.

Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba take a knee. Photograph: Shaun Botterill/AFP/Getty Images

Can the cycle ever be broken? Will football ever be able to move beyond strong statements and outright condemnations and the occasional glimpse of a man walking out of a magistrate’s court with a jacket over his head? Players and senior figures within the game have urged greater vigilance from social media platforms. The government has threatened tech companies with criminal sanctions and fines running into the billions. But for now, all of this remains just words. Realistically, are we ever going to get the measure of this thing?

Eliud Kipchoge takes 30 seconds off his men’s marathon world record in Berlin

This isn’t just about racism, as demonstrated by the death threats sent to referee Mike Dean over the weekend, or the recent treatment of the pundit Karen Carney by Leeds fans. Nor is it about single incidents, or even overt abuse. Focusing on social media platforms is to address only the thinnest sliver of the problem, given that much of the abuse currently being dished out has simply migrated online in the absence of fans from stadiums. For all the joy it inspires, the stirring stories it serves up, English football feels more thoroughly consumed by hatred than at any point in its recent history: a smell you can neither accurately place nor decisively ignore.

It’s in the increasing rancour and tetchiness of online discourse. It’s the climate in which virtually any act can be infinitely parsed and debated along pre-existing lines of difference. It’s the subtle difference between a newspaper reporting the news and a newspaper social media account baiting its followers with wild, tendentious headlines. It’s the difference between singing about Arsène Wenger getting sacked and Ed Woodward dying. And whether you like it or not, we’re all tangled up in it.

Last season Haringey Borough in north London were the victims of racist abuse from Yeovil Town fans during an FA Cup qualifying game. Their goalkeeper Valery Pajetat was spat at, pelted with stones and called a “black cunt”. After the game was stopped for several minutes, manager Tom Loizou decided that there was only one course of action. “My players were getting racially abused,” he says now. “The referee had no control. So I decided to take them off. The FA Cup don’t mean that much to me. I said to the Yeovil manager: ‘Good luck in the next round.’”

As ever with these things, the initial media interest quickly disappeared. The world of football tutted, frowned and returned to its business. For Haringey, meanwhile, the healing process has taken a good deal longer. The additional security measures required for the replay left them several thousand pounds out of pocket. The emotional scars, meanwhile, have been worse. “The club’s been in decline ever since,” Loizou says. “My goalkeeper didn’t want to play any more. Coby Rowe, the best centre-half I’ve ever had at this club, had to move on. The players are still struggling. What do you say? It’s a one-off? It won’t happen again?”

1664146525974.png
Valery Pajetat of Haringey Borough during the FA Cup match against Yeovil Town. Photograph: James Fearn/PPAUK

This isn’t Haringey’s first brush with racism. At an FA Trophy game, Loizou claims that a player’s pregnant girlfriend was followed to the car park by an opposition fan and taunted with the words: “You black slag, you and that fucking baby inside you.” And like many within the game, Loizou senses on some level that things are getting worse. “I used to play in the local leagues around here,” he says. “There was Greeks, blacks, Turkish, and no racial abuse at all. Now, all I see is hatred all around me, all the time. The country is rife with it.”

Last season, 287 of the 2,663 football fixtures played in England and Wales – more than 10% – featured at least one incident of hate crime, according to the Home Office. Arrests for racist or indecent chanting rose by 150%, even though fans stopped attending matches in March. And yet to focus on a few headline figures is to ignore the broader trend: a slow and gradual raising of the temperature, a hardening of minds and a coarsening of conversation. What used to be considered beyond the pale is no longer, because we have lost any ability to decide collectively what the pale even is.

he sociologist Dr Jamie Cleland has been studying the discourse of football and football fans for more than a decade, and agrees that the window has shifted. “What we’re seeing,” he says, “is a ‘casualisation’ of language. Society has become a lot busier, and so social norms aren’t being challenged as they would have been historically. People are getting away with things that they wouldn’t have a generation previously.”

There are clear parallels here between the rise of online abuse towards footballers and the highly gendered hooliganism of the 1970s and 1980s, a process that Cleland describes as “capital acquisition”. “This was the notorious aspect of hooliganism: people engaged in violent behaviour because it gave them a form of social or cultural capital,” he says. “Through the generations, football has historically turned boys into men. Whereas once they proved themselves by engaging in violence, now it’s about proving their worth online as a fan. That person might not have a high level of capital in their everyday life. But this gives them a sense of worthiness. They want someone to bite. They feel alive.”

The natural rejoinder is that, now as ever, the actions of a vocal and vicious minority should not taint the standing of the majority. But this defence only really works to a point, and in any case: who or what is really being defended here? You do not have to physically tweet racist abuse or sing antisemitic songs in order to be complicit in a culture that enables these actions. “We keep talking about a minority,” says Loizou. “But they’re in amongst the majority. And if the majority are doing nothing about it, then they’re just as guilty.”

Much of the debate has focused upon pressuring social media platforms to more proactively police hate speech, even if it’s not entirely clear how this would work in practice. Blocking racist words or accounts only deals with the problem at the most basic level. Removing user anonymity would have a disastrous effect on repressed groups living under autocratic regimes (for example, LGBT people in the United Arab Emirates), and does nothing about the many users perfectly content to churn out racism under their own name.

To a large extent, the problem is one of data and intelligence. We may think we have an idea in our head of who the archetypal racist fan might be. But we still don’t know for sure, even though the technology to profile and proactively target problem users has long existed in other sectors. “We don’t have a taxonomy of offenders,” says Sanjay Bhandari, the chair of Kick it Out. “We’re aware that there are kids doing this because they’re bored. There are people who don’t know better. People who have extremist views, people who want to put off opponents, people from outside the UK who think they’re not going to be caught. For all we know, some of it might be automated bots. What we don’t know is the volume of each category.”

Naturally, big social media companies are highly resistant to the idea of giving up their precious user data, and often hide behind prepared statements rather than submit themselves to interviews or scrutiny. Often that approach strays into outright defiance: last July one police force investigating online abuse contacted Twitter to ask for details about a particular racist post. They finally received a reply in January, almost six months later.

1664147077832.png
Let’s Kick Racism Out of Football artwork inside Birmingham City’s St Andrew’s ground.
Photograph: Clive Mason/Getty Images

And so really this is a problem that goes well beyond football. It encompasses the criminal justice system, the hegemony of Big Tech, the dereliction of our politics and the way we talk to each other. The solutions, too, must be equally wide-ranging: from the banning order and the boycott to the block button and the coordinated political campaign. On some level it feels like a hopeless crusade: like trying to hold back the world with just your two bare hands.

Yet perhaps there are still grounds for optimism. Football has so often acted as a petri dish for wider social trends: the same toxic combination of fierce tribalism and crowd anonymity that now feels so endemic to our lives as a whole. You can look at this in one of two ways. Either we complain that the task is too monstrous, the forces of chaos too irresistible, and draw the curtains. Or we conclude that if football is a microcosm of society, then by fixing the part we can start to fix the whole. Football may not be the root cause of all its problems. But perhaps it can be the root of the solution.

English football is consumed by racism and hatred. Can the cycle be broken? | Soccer | The Guardian

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
King Charles' Meghan decision 'caused argument' with Harry on day Queen died

1664389607966.png
King Charles III reportedly decided that Meghan, Duchess of Sussex
shouldn't fly to Balmoral
© SKY NEWS / TV GRABS

King Charles's decision that daughter-in-law Meghan Markle should stay in England on the day of the Queen's death "caused an argument" with Prince Harry, a royal commentator claims.

Close family royal members flew to Balmoral on the day of the Queen's death, including Prince Harry and Prince William. However, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Kate, Princess of Wales were not present.

At the time it was said that the Princess of Wales, 40, remained in Windsor due to it being the first day of school for her and Prince William's children Prince George of Wales, nine, Princess Charlotte of Wales, seven, and Prince Louis of Wales, four.

Speaking to the Daily Express about Meghan remaining in England, commentator Cameron Walker. said: "From reports, it points to the fact the now King Charles thought it was inappropriate, perhaps, for the Duchess of Sussex to be there.

“That caused an argument and, therefore, a delay in planes taking off.”

Prince Harry was seen arriving at Balmoral after his other family members.

A statement that claimed he and Meghan would be travelling to Balmoral was also changed to explain that only he would be.

Announcing the Queen's death on Thursday 8 September, a statement from Buckingham Palace read: "The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon.

The Bold Warning Prince George Reportedly Gave His Classmates (msn.com)

Attachments

• 1664389425598.png
    1664389425598.png
    68 bytes · Views: 0

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Let’s Call the Endless Meghan Markle Scrutiny What It Is
RAVEN SMITH
September 21, 2022

Image may contain: Clothing, Apparel, Human, Person, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Suit, Coat, and Overcoat
Photo: Getty Images

Nothing quite signals the end of summer like a daylong televised state funeral. As the U.K.’s monarch was laid to rest on Monday, there wasn’t much to do but quietly observe: Proceedings felt poised and proper, the surviving royals managing their perfected stiff upper lips as they publicly grieved.

Of course, everyone on the internet was talking about Meghan Markle, which appears to be Twitter’s resting state despite Markle’s withdrawal from public British life after she and Prince Harry relinquished their senior royal duties.

Meghan participated in funereal procedures pitch-perfectly, objectively fulfilling the ambient obligations of any attendee—wearing black, being respectful, not causing a scene.

Yet somehow the duchess is once again being slated for acting inappropriately. Let me count the ways.

The initial feeling of familial unity as the Waleses and the Sussexes stepped out to greet streetside mourners was palpable: a message of post-traumatic harmony between allegedly (allegedly, allegedly) feuding brothers and wives, of family patching up differences in a time of loss. Yet this sense of calm quickly descended into online commotion when Meghan carried her own flowers. With an unreadable, almost blank face at the procession, Meghan was accused of disrespectfully smirking. Both Sussexes were criticized for holding hands as they walked into Westminster Hall. Meghan’s also been criticized for acting, as if royal public engagements are not at their hearts performative.

I’m cataloging these gripes to showcase how absurd, and frankly minor, they are in the scheme of burying a monarch. They feel like nothings, mere drips in the ocean of national mourning. Hating on a woman for holding her husband’s hand at his grandmother’s funeral is utterly unhinged. Today’s headlines are calling Meghan a manipulative bully.

It’s difficult not to see the racism or to explain away the vitriol for Markle—the droning, relentless persecution—as anything but racial prejudice.

Meghan’s behavior is in line with the Firm’s expectations for her. There was the fuss about wedding tights, and she wore tights this whole trip. Not to be too glib in the face of what’s shaping up to be a campaign of rampant discrimination, but after vocal concern about the coloring of her kids, she bore two light-skinned offspring.

What more do these people want?

It’s impossible to watch (white) Zara Tindall hold her (white) husband’s hand at the same event with zero criticism lobbed at them. For the record, I think Zara is great—I just can’t stand the double standard, the extra expectations on the biracial couple. Let’s not sugarcoat the idea that a Black woman’s display of affection and intimacy makes people more uncomfortable. Black actions are seen differently. They are scrutinized.

I wish there was a less clunky way of making this point; I wish the racism was elevated and sly and hidden and insidious, but it’s parading in plain sight and alarming in its boldness. Any non-white U.K. residents felt that all-too-familiar twinge of hostility as #MeghanMarkleGoHome trended.

I know that Meghan negativity sells or engages higher— that hate perpetuates hate and the ongoing smear campaign (which has no clear author) won’t burn itself out. I’m sure that becoming a duchess wasn’t Meghan’s first introduction to racism, that she’s suffered more intimate and personal discriminations. My biggest worry is that this column about her racist treatment continues the cycle when I could just be praising her round-the-clock decorum, her grace under fire, trying to balance out the hatred. I wonder if high-profile cases like hers help us to talk more openly about racism and how it grouts our institutions and works its way into the cracks of our lives. I wonder if we’re able to call out a particular negativity toward people more freely. I sincerely hope we are.

This story has been updated.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Harry and Meghan Won’t Get Coronation Invites if They Slam Royals, Sources Say

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Won’t Get Coronation Invites if They Slam Royals, Sources Say (thedailybeast.com)

221013-king-charles-tease_z9ulnz

Photo Illustration by Thomas Levinson/The Daily Beast/Gett
Royalist is The Daily Beast’s newsletter for all things royal and Royal Family. Subscribe here to get it in your inbox every Sunday.

King Charles likely won’t invite Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to his coronation if Harry damagingly attacks wife Camilla, the Queen Consort, in his forthcoming book, a friend of the new queen has told The Daily Beast.

“Almost everything Charles has done over the past twenty years has, in one way or another, been about getting Camilla accepted by the public,” the friend said, “He loves her. He is incredibly protective of her and he couldn’t do it without her. Even the queen finally accepted that. It is one thing for Harry to attack Charles, he can take it on the chin, but if Harry forces him to choose, by laying into Camilla in his book, I have no doubt he will choose Camilla.”

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Won’t Get Coronation Invites if They Slam Royals, Sources Say (thedailybeast.com)

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Harry compares Meghan to Diana and criticizes royals' 'unconscious bias' in Netflix documentary

By Rob Picheta, CNN
Updated 10:52 AM EST,
Thu December 08, 2022

article video

London(CNN)Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, have taken aim at "unconscious bias" inside the royal family and defended their decision to quit the institution, as their highly anticipated Netflix documentary series threatens to deepen the split between the couple and Buckingham Palace.

The first three episodes of the project, titled "Harry & Meghan," were released on Thursday after months of speculation that the couple would star in a tell-all series.

They detail the pair's initial romance and Meghan's first exposure to the structures and demands of royal life, as well as Harry's childhood, the pervasive nature of Britain's tabloid media and the death of his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales.

And Harry accuses the royal family of "unconscious bias" that blinded them to the struggles he and Meghan experienced in the years and months leading up to their dramatic departure.

bbuzzard

Skeptic
BGOL Investor
Surprise!

Racism is, and was the way they (this goes back before the available data we currently use) divided us, created a global caste system, and brainwashed us to believe this is the WAY a civilized world should be baselined. I say this, no real government has abolished racism, in it's basic form. It's not limitd to the US, we have the world divided over social media content (including the current news outlets), politically, economically, and most important racially. There's a lot bots out here, more than you know. Shit, I may be a bot at this point, because I follow all this shit like Mooky and JoeBob on crack. It's a silly predicament we are in...sorry for the big words but that's how my brain works.

That's my 3 cents

oh I did listen to Harry's book...some of it, didn't add up in the timeline but the scenario with his Dad and brother is shameful on their part.

Now I sound all gossipy....fuck it

meghan-markle-leaks-49506.jpeg