Pianist and Keyboarder Kevin Toney has Passed Away

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
kevintoney.jpg

(March 21, 2024) The news from the family of Kevin Toney this morning hit us like a ton of bricks: After a brief battle with cancer, our beloved Kevin Toney peacefully transitioned on Monday March 18th, 2024. We want to thank our village for their prayers, love, and support over the last few months. The family requests privacy during this time.
There weren’t many musicians more talented or versatile than Kevin Toney. The 70 year old Detroit native earned his chops as a child in the music-filled city, learning piano, cello and sax. After graduating high school, he further honed his musical skills at Howard University, where he studied music theory and composition.

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
R.I.P. Kevin Toney

A native of Detroit, he graduated from Cass Technical High School.[1] In his teens he listened to the music of John Coltrane and Art Tatum.[2] He attended Howard University where Donald Byrd, head of the jazz studies department, assembled a group of students which became the fusion band the Blackbyrds, led by Toney.[1] The band played with Chick Corea, The Crusaders, Herbie Hancock, and Grover Washington Jr.[2] Seven albums by the band were released. Three were certified gold. The band's hits included "Rock Creek Park" and "Unfinished Business", both written by Toney. The latter received a Grammy Award nomination.

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
R.I.P. Kevin Toney

A native of Detroit, he graduated from Cass Technical High School.[1] In his teens he listened to the music of John Coltrane and Art Tatum.[2] He attended Howard University where Donald Byrd, head of the jazz studies department, assembled a group of students which became the fusion band the Blackbyrds, led by Toney.[1] The band played with Chick Corea, The Crusaders, Herbie Hancock, and Grover Washington Jr.[2] Seven albums by the band were released. Three were certified gold. The band's hits included "Rock Creek Park" and "Unfinished Business", both written by Toney. The latter received a Grammy Award nomination.
I cannot explain to yall how essential the track Rock creek Park is and has been on the jazz funk and rare groove scenes here in the UK, ever since it came out! The blackbyrds were an incredible jazz fusion and funk band with lots of soul to spare.
Thank you for the music Kevin Toney, play on in heaven sir, you're in great company up there.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I cannot explain to yall how essential the track Rock creek Park is and has been on the jazz funk and rare groove scenes here in the UK, ever since it came out! The blackbyrds were an incredible jazz fusion and funk band with lots of soul to spare.
Thank you for the music Kevin Toney, play on in heaven sir, you're in great company up there.

This was my Dad's jam :dance2:

RIP