RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Just thought I'd start a thread for all the hoop junkies to keep up
with what's going on in the wacky world of the NBA......So far, all I
got is the Nate McMillian story.

So Nate coaches the Sonics back to respectability and this is the
thanks he gets??

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Sonics: Sonics plan to wait on coach</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" width="1" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>The Seattle Times

July 2, 2005

Sonics management is willing to stay patient as NBA teams with coaching vacancies woo the man who led <LOCATION>Seattle</LOCATION> to the Northwest Division title last season.

To that end, Nate McMillan has told Sonics president

Wally Walker</PERSON> that he will visit with other teams in the next week. He is expected to visit <LOCATION>Portland</LOCATION> this weekend, if he hasn't already, and other likely suitors include the New York Knicks and Detroit Pistons, should

Larry Brown</PERSON> step down as coach.
<TABLE cellPadding=1 align=right border=0 hspace="10" vspace="5"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr\\\\" + \\\\"ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=fHOpHM6.I.YSXsRuQtBgVRAmRKG3QULSwu0AAwyr&T=13rkll901%2fX%3d1121108717%2fE%3d95861910%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1984564520%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dC823BECE');yzq_a('a', '&U=139b1dn35%2fN%3d2wpRS86.IrA-%2fC%3d352523.6515938.7494310.1806201%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d2755766');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
b
</NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>"We understand why other teams have interest in him," Walker said ina phone interview yesterday. "But we still have high hopes that we'll get something done with him here."

The Sonics have offered McMillan a four-year, <MONEY>$18 million</MONEY> contract, which would place him among the highest-paid coaches in the league. But the Blazers are thought to be willing to offer double, and the Sonics have nine free agents and an uncertain financial future.

Walker said the Sonics have not placed a timetable on McMillan's decision. McMillan has said previously that he has not decided on a timetable, either.

The Sonics' plan, for now, is to let McMillan talk to other teams and reconvene "probably next week." That doesn't mean contract negotiations are on hold, though. Walker said he talked to McMillan's agent,

Lonnie Cooper</PERSON>, yesterday morning. Cooper could not be reached.
"What I said to Nate was, 'Hey, you need to go and do what you need to do,' " Walker said. " 'Then, let's talk and see where everyone is. Then we'll try to establish a timetable.' At some point, though, everyone has to get on with their lives."

Should McMillan elect to stay in <LOCATION>Seattle</LOCATION>, <LOCATION>Phoenix</LOCATION> assistant coach Marc Iavaroni is considered a front-runner for the Blazers job.

Terry Porter</PERSON>, who played in <LOCATION>Portland</LOCATION> and who recently was fired by <LOCATION>Milwaukee</LOCATION>, will likely also be considered.

Now we know how it ended. But I believe that seattle did not try hard
enough to keep McMillian as the coach. How much sense does it make to
hire a new guy and have to start from scratch?? Letting the coach go,
made absolutely no sense. The only free agents that matter to the
Sonics are Allen and Lewis. The rest are expendable. But this coach, with
these players, in this system, IMO, is not....

How ironic would it be if Seatlle now hires Terry Porter to take McMillian's
place?? Two backward assed franchises if you ask me. Just pay the brovas.
If this was Riley, or Brown, or Jackson, or even Jerry Sloan, they'd bend
over and let the coach ream them, but they brotha gotta leave town, even
when he does well....Case in point is Porter.....Like Doc Rivers before
him (in Orlando), he had one good season, followed by a mediocre
season and that was IT for his job team.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>
LeBron gonna HAVE to share the rock now
But whose gonna play the point?? Hughes?
Hughes wants to be first fiddle. Will King
James go for that?? Can't wait to see the next
Cleveland/Wizards game. Should be interesting

Cavs reach agreement with Hughes
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" width="1" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>By Brian Windhorst, Beacon Journal staff writer
July 9, 2005

<LOCATION>Las Vegas</LOCATION> - The Cavaliers have landed a top shooting guard.

According to league insiders, the team reached a verbal contract with Washington Wizards shooting guard

Larry Hughes</PERSON> late Thursday.
</P><TABLE cellPadding=1 align=right border=0 hspace="10" vspace="5"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr\" + \"ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=VqpKFdhtfvESXsRuQtBgVRn8RKG3QULSxb0ACbZg&T=13rte9m4c%2fX%3d1121109437%2fE%3d95861910%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1915856075%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d6C776DD8');yzq_a('a', '&U=139p6bn9o%2fN%3dDJSPJdhtfFk-%2fC%3d352523.6515938.7494310.1806201%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d2755766');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
b
</NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>It is believed the Cavaliers will sign him to a five-year contract starting at around <MONEY>$12 million</MONEY> per season when they are allowed on <CHRON>July 22</CHRON>.

Hughes averaged 22 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and a league-best 2.9 steals per game last season. He was named to the NBA's All-Defensive Team after helping lead the Wizards to their first playoff appearance since 1997.

The Wizards had intended to keep Hughes. But with two other stars,

Gilbert Arenas</PERSON> and

Antwan Jamison</PERSON>, with large salaries on the books, it is possible the Cavaliers simply out-bid them.
</P>

The Cavaliers had courted free agent point guards

Ray Allen</PERSON> and

Micheal Redd</PERSON> earlier this week. Redd agreed to a six-year, <MONEY>$90 million</MONEY> deal to stay with the Milwaukee Bucks. Allen decided to remain with the Seattle SuperSonics for <MONEY>$85 million</MONEY> over five years.
</P>The Cavaliers, who still will have around <MONEY>$16 million</MONEY> to spend in free agency are believed to be focusing now on re-signing center Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Diamels said:
I wish Cleveland would have got Ray Allen instead

That would've been a suuuuuWEET backcourt!!!
This is good, but it's gonna take some time to
develop some chemistry now. Hughes is gonna
demand WAY more shots than McGinnis

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
RunawaySlave said:
Just thought I'd start a thread for all the hoop junkies to keep up [/color
Now we know how it ended. But I believe that seattle did not try hard
enough to keep McMillian as the coach. How much sense does it make to
hire a new guy and have to start from scratch?? Letting the coach go,
made absolutely no sense. The only free agents that matter to the
Sonics are Allen and Lewis. The rest are expendable. But this coach, with
these players, in this system, IMO, is not....

How ironic would it be if Seatlle now hires Terry Porter to take McMillian's
place?? Two backward assed franchises if you ask me. Just pay the brovas.
If this was Riley, or Brown, or Jackson, or even Jerry Sloan, they'd bend
over and let the coach ream them, but they brotha gotta leave town, even
when he does well....Case in point is Porter.....Like Doc Rivers before
him (in Orlando), he had one good season, followed by a mediocre
season and that was IT for his job team.

seattle lost a good coach... serves them right... they fronted coach ALL last season, and insulted him by not coming correct with a good offer in a timely manner...

this insulted him, and he exited quickly when he found out portland was willing to PAY THE MAN... good for him... to me, he was under-rated as a player and as a coach...

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
RunawaySlave said:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>

my apologies in advance to all the larry hughes fans, but i think the cavaliers made a HUGE mistake... i'm not convinced that larry hughes was all that an integral part of the so-called BIG THREE... more like a beneficiary, to me...

but we'll have to wait and see... larry hughes as coveted as joe johnson?

as far as the impact on the cavaliers W/L record, i don't know... gene cisco, you got any thoughts?

they got a little size with the euro, they got youth and athleticism with lebron james and larry hughes, but what about those other important ON FLOOR ingredients? veteran leadership? playoffs experience? toughness/intimidation/hustle role player?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
bucks gotta make some moves

they signed michael redd and they got bogut in the pivot... now, what's the story with tj ford? because if he comes back and plays, the bucks are OVER loaded at PG with maurice williams & anthony goldwire...

even if bogut is ready to carry the lion's share of minutes, who's gonna back him up? dan gadzuric or calvin booth? i'd go with dan gadzuric (even though he's a euro :( ) but he's a free agent... i shouldn't even mention the OTHER non-american stiffs they got as back up C: zaza pachulia and dan santiago

then, you got two more BIG question marks with toni kukoc and joe smith... toni kukoc is a free agent (PLEASE, 76ers, don't sign him again), so they should let him walk, but can joe smith stay productive with less than minutes a game?

i think they have a lot of room for improvement, but could make some noise if they make the right moves...

parisian

International
International Member
Re: bucks gotta make some moves

cranrab said:
then, you got two more BIG question marks with toni kukoc and joe smith... toni kukoc is a free agent (PLEASE, 76ers, don't sign him again), so they should let him walk, but can joe smith stay productive with less than minutes a game?

cranrab, don't be suprised if you see Toni Kukoc signing with San Antonio, coach Pop loves his style

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor

cranrab said:
they signed michael redd and they got bogut in the pivot... now, what's the story with tj ford? because if he comes back and plays, the bucks are OVER loaded at PG with maurice williams & anthony goldwire...

even if bogut is ready to carry the lion's share of minutes, who's gonna back him up? dan gadzuric or calvin booth? i'd go with dan gadzuric (even though he's a euro
frown.gif
) but he's a free agent... i shouldn't even mention the OTHER non-american stiffs they got as back up C: zaza pachulia and dan santiago

i think they have a lot of room for improvement, but could make some noise if they make the right moves...
I think the PG situation will get cleared up pretty quickly. Goldwire is
mainly a journeymen and will get the axe pretty quickly if Ford shows
he's back and ready to play 82 games. Williams did a good job as his
replacement, but should be aware of the fact that he WAS Ford's
replacement and that the man would be back in the starting lineup...
eventually. Neither one of them has a substantial contract that would
warrant them starter's minutes. So it should work itself out. The real
problem is the level of play to expect from all three of the guards....

Under Terry Porter, the guards on the team had a certain degree of
freedom that many other NBA coaches wouldn't let them have. There
maybe some disgruntled employees in the backcourt if the new coach
doesn't recognize that and wants to move to an inside oriented offense.
Especially since they just got this new "hotshot" at center....

Milwaukee's moves don't strike me as the moves made by a team ready
to move up to the next level. They strike me as a team that just wants to
get enough fans in the stands to turn a profit

The Atlanta Hawks, on the other hand, seem like they wanna
take a team to the playoffs. But they don't know how to go about
doing so. They wanna sign Joe Johnson, and they already have
Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams and Al Harrington...
So where's Johnson gonna play if they sign him, the point guard??

sEEn

Potential Star
Registered

so who does everyone think the most improved team will be this next season?.. i'm guessing boston, milwaukee, or l.a.

also.. i've been following the knicks summer league boxscores and nasty nate is putting his name out there!! good! little guys thowing down makes the nba that much more entertaining...

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
I think both NY and NJ will make the playoffs this year
and both teams will be vastly improved....The Nets still
need a true Center or Power forward though

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
LOL @ The Bucks. They spent aaaaaalllll that money and they got one
NBA star from it all...hahaha......I like Gadzuric, but 36 million?? And
he's not even gonna start....eventually
Or maybe they're hedging their bets against Bogut being a B-U-S-T

Bucks reach agreement with Gadzuric
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7>
<SPACER height="1" width="1" type="block">

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer

July 12, 2005

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Milwaukee Bucks are spending the big bucks this summer.

Dan Gadzuric's agent said the 6-foot-11 center will sign a six-year, $36 million contract to stay with the Bucks once the league-wide moratorium on player movement ends later this month.

That means the Bucks have committed some $200 million in player contracts since July 2.
"We think Milwaukee's putting forth a winning team as evidenced by the spending,'' Gadzuric's agent, Bob Myers, told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
"A lot of teams talk about going in that direction, but Milwaukee's putting their money where their mouth is.''

The Bucks confirmed that they plan to sign Gadzuric.

After signing No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Bogut to a $26 million deal on July 2, the Bucks' spending spree began in earnest when they agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent Michael Redd for between $90 million and $96 million, pending final wording in the new collective bargaining agreement.

Then, they lured Los Angeles Clippers swingman Bobby Simmons, the league's reigning Most Improved Player, for $47 million over five years.

General manager Larry Harris, who also traded for Cleveland forward Jiri Welsch on draft day, isn't done. He has said he intends to re-sign restricted free agent Zaza Pachulia, as well.

New coach Terry Stotts will have a vastly improved roster than the one that went 30-52 last season and resulted in Terry Porter's dismissal.

Gadzuric averaged 7.3 points, 8.3 rebounds and 22 minutes for the Bucks last season. He was selected by Milwaukee in the second round of the 2002 draft, with the 34th overall pick out of UCLA.

As a restricted free agent, he could have signed an offer sheet from another team, but it never got that far.

"He was happy staying in Milwaukee. We tried to make it happen and we were able to reach an agreement that works for both sides,'' Myers said. "The Bucks definitely have shown they're serious about winning right away.''

Updated on Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 6:31 pm EDT

K

King Of Memphis

Gadzuric for 36 mil?....at least it's not as bad as the Grizzlies giving Brian Cardinal 43 mil....damn, will someone send memphis a star? please, lol.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
NBA Summer League websites:

Saw a couple of Knick games in the Vegas league. Nate Robinson
can defintely ball, but he looks like he gotta LOT of chucker in his
game. Not good for a 5'9" cat....Also, Channing Frye looks like
the real deal. He should be a starter come November....
Summer games are alot more fun to watch. None of those bullshit
whistles you get in an NBA telecast. Here, a foul doesn't get
called only if it LOOKS like a foul. The refs actaully do some work
Wish the NBA had something in the NY area

hawk919

Star
Registered
I hope the Bobcats make it to the playoffs but it seems highly unlikely.......

The Lakers are going to be back in playoff contention, I didnt understand why they drafted Bynum until I read his stat sheet, 7'0 290 lbs (thats a big nigga) he dont need to go to college. And I heard the Lake Show trying to get Garnett and that would be crazy!

Atlanta is dumb as hell for drafting Marvin Williams, they already had enough athletic Forwards, Childress, Harrington and Smith. But they were smart to get Salim Stoudamire that niggas jay is like from a video game, its perfect. They should have picked Bynum all they need is a big man

The Hornets are going to fucking suck!! I hate that they left my state, I hate their new colors I hate their coach Byron Scott, I hate Chris Paul ( He punched my favorite player Julius Hodge in the nuts)

The Rockets are going to be good again next year, they picked up Luther Head, who is quick, athletic and has courtvision, they can put him at 2 or 1

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
I don't know shit about these guys coming out of college and high
school these days, but now that you mention it, that kid Bynum is
a big dude. Is he the one that's been comparing himself to Shaq??
I wonder if the unofficial GM of L.A. had anything to do with that pick?

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
Any deal involving KG going to L.A. will cost Odom, two number 1 picks, and cash plus throw in players with Bryant and Bynum being untouchables. It may even require a third team as well.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Garnett to LA?? Sounds interesting. I bet Jackson has something to do
with this rumor. KG is definitely the kind of player Phil likes to mold
And you know he wants to win....The price of Odom and two 1st round
picks is minimal for a wheeler-dealer like Buss. If you have a chance to
swipe a player the calibre of Garnett you HAVE to go for it.....KG on the
Lakers puts them right back in the hunt....Because it immediately stops
a Kobe....or an Iverson....or a Marbury or Francis from dominating all
the shots

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Meanwhile, Isiah making moves. I like this move

James is a decent center, but he won't demand
alot of shots. So Steph and Jamal and Quentin
can chuck it up all they want.....Knicks still gotta do
something with Tim Thomas though

Reports: Knicks sign center Jerome James

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" width="1" type="block"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>July 14, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Knicks and free-agent center Jerome James agreed to a five-year deal, according to several media reports.

Marc Fleisher, James' agent, confirmed the approximately $29 million deal Wednesday, but the contract can't be signed until the free-agent signing period begins on July 22.

"They approached us on the first day of free agency and told us they had a lot of interest,'' Fleisher told The New York Times for Thursday's editions. "I know there have been a lot of names, but I genuinely believe that's who they wanted most.''

<TABLE cellPadding=1 align=left border=0 vspace="5" hspace="10"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr\\" + \\"ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=1WNdUNhtfvESXsRuQtBgVQjkRKG3QULWZIIACbMM&T=13qtsu2j3%2fX%3d1121346690%2fE%3d95861899%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d621483118%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dE67E6DD8');yzq_a('a', '&U=1391ir1l5%2fN%3dciCNMdhtfFk-%2fC%3d352523.6515938.7494310.1806201%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d2755766');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
b
</NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The signing was also reported by the Daily News, New York Post and Newsday.

James, 29, is a 7-foot-1 veteran who averaged 4.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.39 blocks per game in a career-high 80 starts for Seattle last season. He performed well in the first round of the playoffs for the SuperSonics, averaging 17.2 points and 9.4 rebounds in a series win over Sacramento.

For his career, James is averaging 4.9 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.20 blocks.

James will become the Knicks' only proven center after trading Nazr Mohammed in February and Kurt Thomas in June. James' presence will also ease some of the burden off rookie center Channing Frye, the Arizona star who the Knicks drafted in the first round last month.

"It was clear once they moved Kurt Thomas and moved Nazr that they were in need of a real center, and that's what Jerome is,'' Fleisher told the Times. "He's looking forward to the challenge.''

Updated on Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 4:40 am EDT

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
I just read on the other board that the Lakers want Kwame Brown??? If Phil can somehow help Kwame gain conifidence in himself and can stay healthy it would be good. Imagine a front line of Odom 6'10, Brown 6'11, and Bynum 7'0 then you still have Brian Grant 6'9, Medavenko 6'10 and Chris Mihm 7'0 in the rotation. The Lakers need a point guard with leadership and playmaking skills.

As far as the Knicks are looking adding James would help. They should also keep Jerome Williams as well; every team need atleast one energy guy. They should bring Crawford off the bench as a sixth man since he is a tweener guard with size 6'5. That will mean Marbury and Richardson will start. The three of them should eat up 90% of the guard minutes. They need to move Tim Thomas for a solid roleplayer that does not demand the ball and can defend wing players.

Last edited:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
THE DRIZZY said:
I just read on the other board that the Lakers want Kwame Brown??? If Phil can somehow help Kwame gain conifidence in himself and can stay healthy it would be good. Imagine a front line of Odom 6'10, Brown 6'11, and Bynum 7'0 then you still have Brian Grant 6'9, Medavenko 6'10 and Chris Mihm 7'0 in the rotation. The Lakers need a point guard with leadership and playmaking skills.

As far as the Knicks are looking adding James would help. They should also keep Jerome Williams as well; every team need atleast one energy guy. They should bring Crawford off the bench as a sixth man since he is a tweener guard with size 6'5. That will mean Marbury and Richardson will start. The three of them should eat up 90% of the guard minutes. They need to move Tim Thomas for a solid roleplayer that does not demand the ball and can defend wing players.

Nooooooooo!!!!! Thomas gotta go!!! Please!! As for Crawford, he might've
become a nice lightening rod off the bench for Herb Williams
but unfortunately, he makes far too much money and is guaranteed
to be in the starting lineup or some executives' head will roll.
Thomas is the exec that signed him, so you can bet Thomas
is the exec that will play him....alot of minutes.

Richardson will probably get the majority of his minutes at the "3" spot
like he did with Phoenix last year. Tim Thomases days at the SF spot
might be numbered, especially if the Knicks still gotta pay Allan Houston

As for LA...they had the right idea, but the wrong player. KG yes....KB no
Yeah, Zen Master Phil might get Kwame to play up to his potential
but this youth hasn't shown that he's HUNGRY enough to hang
with the big boys or that he even WANTS an NBA career......
and he definitely ain't seeing the rock as much with Kobe and Odom around........So he still won't be happy

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Lakers: Brown/Butler deal agreed on in principle</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" width="1" type="block"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Thursday, July 14, 2005

News
The Lakers agreed to a trade on Thursday that had been widely speculated about over the past week. The Lakers would acquire forward Kwame Brown from the Wizards in exchange for forward Caron Butler and their choice of either guard Chucky Atkins or Devean George, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Views
The Lakers are taking a large risk in assuming they can mold Brown into the player he was thought to become when he was drafted with the first pick in the 2001 draft. His game isn't the only thing that needs an adjustment, as seen by his suspension during the postseason after missing a practice and game four of the series against the Chicago Bulls. Meanwhile, Butler was arguably the Lakers second best player behind Kobe last year and will find it even tougher in Washington to produce solid numbers given the presence of guard Gilbert Arenas and forward Antawn Jamison. Fantasy owners should bump Butler down their rankings and keep a close eye on whether Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant can get Brown focused enough to make an impact.

Updated on Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 10:36 am EDT

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
done deal: brown for butler, atkins

LOL... of course the primadonna couldn't stand another player (a remarkably better one) getting shine, nor the honest criticism of a PG...

so like i mentioned before, coach jackson has cleared the way, because he prefers tall PGs who can pass over the top of the defense...

as far as bynum and brown goes, their ACTUAL PROGRESS doesn't matter... all coach jackson wants is LARGE bodies who can take up space... sounds funny, but it's the TRUTH... he just wants some BIG Cs who can absorb PFs due to tobe's inability to play any individual D and prevent dribble penetration...

if bynum and brown possess any sort of decent footwork and have EXCELLENT hands, they will benefit from some easy scores... but otherwise, strong rebounding and some intimidation is all their asked to do... additional offensive production is gravy...

Tomega

Superstar
Registered
cranrab said:
RunawaySlave said:

Why Wouldnt James wanna pass the ball. He's a passer b4 he's a shooter. He wants and needs a player like hughes whos gonna demand tha ball. the rest of them soft fuck heads acted like they didnt want the rockIm gonna like this it'll be better than the set up that was in washington and it'll be better than the set up that is now in washington. Now all cleveland has to do is get rid of gooden's soft ass and get a real PF then I see them making some real noise

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
What can Brown do for you? Apparently Nothing in Detroit :eek:

Brown buyout looming? Both sides still talking
July 18, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DETROIT -- Larry Brown and the Detroit Pistons appeared to move closer to parting ways Monday.
"We have not agreed to anything with Larry and there is no buyout yet," team president of basketball operations Joe Dumars told the Associated Press. "Both sides are still talking."

Brown's agent and Dumars spoke Monday, attempting to reach a resolution after weeks of negotiations about the Hall of Fame coach's future. Two years ago, Detroit signed Brown to a five-year contract worth about $25 million, plus incentive bonuses.

Brown and his agent, Joe Glass, did not immediately return phone messages.

Brown and Glass met with Dumars and Pistons owner Bill Davidson last week, but there was not clear answer whether Brown would return for a third season.

Other than traveling to suburban Detroit for the meeting, Brown has been resting, on doctor's orders, at his vacation home in New York since he checked out of a hospital earlier this month.

The morning after last month's NBA Draft and less than a week after Detroit lost Game 7 of the NBA Finals to the San Antonio Spurs, the 64-year-old Brown was hospitalized for treatment of a medical problem that developed from complications following hip surgery in November and persisted after a second procedure in March.

Brown has said if doctors deemed him healthy enough, he wanted to return next season to coach the Pistons, and he insisted he wouldn't lead another NBA team from the sideline. Still, there have been reports that the New York Knicks would not hire a new coach until they knew for sure that Brown was not available.

The Pistons have said they would welcome Brown back, if he was willing to return.

The Cleveland Cavaliers talked with Brown about becoming their president of basketball operations after Detroit gave them permission during the spring. Cleveland hired Danny Ferry as general manager last month. When Cavs owner Dan Gilbert was asked if Brown could work for the team in a consulting role, Gilbert did not answer directly.

The Pistons' 2004 title made Brown the first coach to win NBA and NCAA championships. He won the college title with Kansas in 1988.

AP NEWS

If you listen to Stephen A. Smith :p , there is a whole lotta shit going on behind the scenes...

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
RunawaySlave said:
NBA Summer League websites:

Saw a couple of Knick games in the Vegas league. Nate Robinson
can defintely ball, but he looks like he gotta LOT of chucker in his
game. Not good for a 5'9" cat....Also, Channing Frye looks like
the real deal. He should be a starter come November....
Summer games are alot more fun to watch. None of those bullshit
whistles you get in an NBA telecast. Here, a foul doesn't get
called only if it LOOKS like a foul. The refs actaully do some work
Wish the NBA had something in the NY area

SL,

You're right... Nate is definitely a chucker... and the dude is only 5-8. He's quick as hell and has hops so he can definitely play in the league. The Knicks picked up a few guys that wont be stars but can definitely come in and contribute right away.

Anyone have thoughts on Boston's new direction? (Got 7 guys on the team with 1 year experience and less that will get minutes) I think its great for them... especially considering the fact other than Scalabrine and LaFrentz, i cant think of another white on the team... thought Bean town was racist? Jerry West needs to take note.

Intriguied with how Sean and Okafor are going to play together in Charlotte.... Felton is going to struggle his first year with TOs.

Interesting draft class this year... cant wait to see how guys turn out.

Also @ cranrab... you are a coach brown fan right? what do u think about his lack of respect and lack of commitment to the game and to his teams? isnt that showing a lack of integrity? :confused:

Edit: Also what is everyone's thought on Wobe Jr getting signed by the Cavs... talk about a WASTE of 70 million... i want to see what PHX is going to do with Joe Johnson... they are going to be WAY over the cap if they match that max deal he gets... with 3.5 guys gettin the max, they are going to be paying out the ass for years to come.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
xfactor said:
Also @ cranrab... you are a coach brown fan right? what do u think about his lack of respect and lack of commitment to the game and to his teams? isnt that showing a lack of integrity? :confused:

yes i am. lack of respect? lack of commitment to the game? shit, the man has been coaching successfully for how many decades? got the clippers into the nba playoffs? got the 76ers into the nba finals? won on the NCAA and NBA level?

coach brown's inability to stay put is well documented and has been inexcusable before, so this latest move shouldn't come as a surprise. THAT ISN'T TO SAY that i agree with this transient QUIRK he has, but I AM TRYING TO SAY that we've grown accustomed to this bizarre habit.

as far as showing a lack of integrity, i'm not so sure that's necessarily the case (could be, but i'm not sure it's a lack of integrity that drives these career choices). coach brown hasn't bolted because someone dangles more CASH in his face (like A LOT of FAs do), he leaves because he's never happy to stay put in a static situation for too long.

not trying to put a hero mask on him or anything, but once coach brown achieves a level of success with a team, his thirst for a challenge elsewhere distracts him and leads him on to the next battle.

let's see what the next head coach can do with a squad that went to the NBA finals back to back.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Pistons reportedly will hire Saunders Thursday
/ Associated Press
Posted: 39 minutes ago

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) - Flip Saunders apparently moved closer Wednesday to replacing Larry Brown as head coach of the Detroit Pistons.

The Detroit News reported Saunders was set to agree to a four-year contract worth between $4 and $5 million per season, with a formal announcement to come Thursday at a news conference at The Palace.
Pistons spokesman Kevin Grigg said the team was not yet ready to make an announcement. Saunders and his agent, Mark Termini, did not immediately return phone calls.

Just one day after the Pistons finalized their severance agreement with Brown, team owner Bill Davidson provided some insight into the departure of the 64-year-old coach in an interview with WDIV-TV.

Brown, who had three years remaining on a five-year, $25 million contract, reportedly received $5 million in his severance package. He has already been contacted by New York Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who plans to meet with Brown in the coming days to gauge his interest in replacing interim coach Herb Williams.

Davidson was a key player in the departure of Brown, who spoke during the spring with the Cleveland Cavaliers about possibly becoming team president and also told the New York Post in the middle of last season that coaching the Knicks would be a "dream job."

Asked whether Brown's actions angered him, Davidson said: "I think a better word is peeved. You're certainly not happy when something like that happens."

Parting ways with Brown "was kind of easy," Davidson said. "There was too much Larry Brown and not enough Pistons. I wasn't happy with that. You've got to understand that whoever coaches the Pistons represents me. And I'm not going to give (the team and their fans) somebody that's not a good person."

Brown guided the Pistons to the NBA championship in 2004 and came one victory away from repeating this year. Throughout the season, Brown - who underwent hip replacement surgery that led to a problem with his bladder - insisted he would return to the Pistons if doctors deemed him healthy enough.

Saunders interviewed with several teams during the playoffs, nearly all of which filled their coaching vacancies with other candidates. Saunders was due to make more than $5 million in the upcoming season from the Minnesota Timberwolves, who fired him in February after he had coached the franchise to a record of 411-326 over 9 1/2 seasons.

"I'd certainly pay $7 million to win a championship," Davidson told WDIV.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
udpate 1 - rahim and robinson to join NETS

Nets agree to deals with Abdur-Rahim, Robinson
/ Associated Press
Posted: 2 days ago

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Free agent forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim has agreed to play for the New Jersey Nets, a person familiar with the negotiations said Thursday.

The Nets also have reached an agreement with forward Clifford Robinson, the person within the league said on condition of anonymity.
Contract terms were not available.

Free agent deals cannot be officially announced until the league's new collective bargaining agreement is signed, something expected to occur within the next week.

The 6-foot-9 Abdur-Rahim played in 54 games last season for Portland, averaging 16.3 points and 7.5 rebounds. In a nine-year career with Vancouver, Atlanta and the Trail Blazers, he has averaged 19.8 points and 8.1 rebounds.

Abdur-Rahim's agent, Aaron Goodwin, did not immediately return a call requesting comment.

The Nets acquired the 6-foot-10 Robinson from Golden State in February for two second-round draft picks, and he averaged 6 points and 3.3 rebounds in 29 games.

The addition of Abdur-Rahim, a 2002 All-Star, to a team that already includes Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson would give the Nets one of the stronger offensive lineups in the Eastern Conference.

The Nets also worked out Atlanta Hawks forward Chris Crawford this week, team president Rod Thorn said Thursday.

New Jersey finished third in the Atlantic Division with a 42-40 record in 2004-2005 and was swept in four games by Miami in the first round of the playoffs.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
update 2 - bonzi leaves memphis

Report: Grizzlies sending Wells to Kings
/ FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 day ago

Bonzi Wells will soon join the Kings as part of a three-way trade according to The Sacramento Bee

The deal swaps the Grizzlies shooting guard for Bobby Jackson and Greg Ostertag. Ostertag would then return to the Jazz, who for their part, would then send swingman Kirk Snyder, center Curtis Borchardt and guard Raul Lopez to Sacramento as well.
Wells' agent confirmed the report. While Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie, who is limited by a league moratorium on what he can say about player movement, did tell The Bee a deal is a planned.

"There is a trade we intend to make with Memphis and Utah when the moratorium is over," Petrie said.

The 28-year-old Wells is in the final year of his contract and scheduled to be paid be paid $8 million. He averaged 10.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in 69 games last season.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
update 3 - turiaf out

i thought he was a steal for a 2nd round pick... had hoped he'd have proved me right by getting some minutes and outplaying the other frontcourt players on the fakers squad...

but:

Lakers' Turiaf must undergo heart surgery
ALEX VEIGA / Associated Press
Posted: 1 day ago

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - Ronny Turiaf, the Los Angeles Lakers second-round draft pick, needs open-heart surgery to correct a life-threatening condition.

FOX Bite
Videos

Turiaf in turmoil
The Lakers second-round draft pick Ronny Turiaf discusses his career-threatening heart condition and shares his thoughts about possibly never playing basketball again.

"I'm going to try everything I can to beat it," an emotional Turiaf said Friday at a news conference.
An enlarged aortic root was discovered during a physical, Lakers spokesman John Black said. Turiaf, 22, will most likely have the operation in the next six weeks.

The 6-foot-9 power forward averaged 15.9 points, 9.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.9 blocked shots as a senior at Gonzaga last season. He was the Lakers' second pick behind 17-year-old center Andrew Bynum of St. Joseph High in Metuchen, N.J.

Black said previous examinations of Turiaf a couple of years ago and earlier this year at the pre-NBA draft camp turned up an abnormality. But in both instances doctors didn't think it was serious and cleared him to play. Further examinations by the Lakers' own physicians turned up the more serious problem, Black said, and other independent experts confirmed it.

Ronny Turiaf, an aspiring Lakers forward, tries to hold back tears during a news conference after answering questions about his upcoming open-heart surgery. (Rene Macura / Associated Press)

Black said it was too early to determine if the condition would be career-ending. "We don't want to speculate on that, but obviously we're hopeful that if things go well he will be able to (play again)," Black said.

Turiaf thanked teammate Kobe Bryant and fans for their support and vowed to get past the condition so he can help his family.

"Today is just another setback, another hurdle I'll just have to jump over," he said. Black said diagnosing the condition now likely saved Turiaf's life.

"Had he not had this corrected, my understanding from our doctors is very likely this would have been a fatal condition," Black said.

The Lakers want to pay for the surgery, if the league approves, Black said.

"Everything happens for a reason," Turiaf said. "I'm pretty fortunate playing basketball for eight years."

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Does this make the Heat better??

Not to me

Heat acquire F Walker in largest trade in NBA history

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" width="1" type="block"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>August 3, 2005

MIAMI (Ticker) - Miami Heat president Pat Riley obviously was not happy at coming up a game short of reaching the NBA Finals.

In the largest trade in NBA history, a deal involving five teams and 13 players, the Heat on Tuesday night acquired three-time All-Star forward Antoine Walker from the Boston Celtics.

Walker was the centerpiece of the enormous deal that also involved the Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz.

<TABLE cellPadding=1 align=left border=0 vspace="5" hspace="10"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr\\" + \\"ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=VekNEdhtfvESXsRuQtBgVRZGR_cR5kLwV0YAAFuA&T=13qmeqgev%2fX%3d1123047238%2fE%3d95862492%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d515889364%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d55776DD8');yzq_a('a', '&U=139bmb6lo%2fN%3d4r_9f9htfFk-%2fC%3d351864.6491661.7505854.1414694%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d2761067');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
b
</NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The previous biggest trade in league history came in 2000, when the New York Knicks dealt Patrick Ewing in a four-team, 12-player swap.

The Heat also acquired point guard Jason Williams, shooting guard Andre Emmett and forward James Posey from Memphis, while sending guard Eddie Jones to the Grizzlies. Miami also received the draft rights of Roberto Duenas of Spain from New Orleans.

"We feel like with this trade that we traded a lot, but we got back three quality players," Riley said. "Antoine Walker is one of the very best multi-faceted, versatile players in the game. I think the numbers have shown throughout his career that he has been consistent year-in and year-out, providing points and rebounds."

As part of the deal, the Heat shipped guard-forward Qyntel Woods, the draft rights to Spanish center Albert Miralles, two second-round picks and cash to Boston. The Heat also dealt shooting guard Rasual Butler to New Orleans.

All the moves are a significant change for the Heat, who came within one win of reaching the NBA Finals for the first time in club history last season. Earlier Tuesday, the Heat reportedly signed superstar center Shaquille O'Neal to a five-year, $100 million contract.

The Heat roster will not be the only one that has a drastically different look next season.

Utah acquired center Greg Ostertag from Memphis; Boston obtained Curtis Borchardt from the Jazz; New Orleans received guard Kirk Snyder from Utah; and Memphis got guard Raul Lopez from the Jazz.

According to reports, Walker signed a six-year deal worth nearly $53 million with the Celtics, providing the framework for the trade.

In Miami, Walker will become the club's starter at small forward. Williams could start at point guard if Damon Jones departs as a free agent as is expected.

"Outside of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd, there isn't a better open-floor, half-court playmaker in the league than Jason Williams," Riley said. "His ability to handle the ball, see the floor and hit the open man is as good as any point guard."

Walker, who turns 29 on August 12, has career averages of 19.8 points, 8.7 rebounds and 4.1 assists. The 6-9 Walker was selected sixth overall by Boston in the 1996 NBA draft.

Entering his eighth season, the 29-year-old Williams has career averages of 11.7 points and 6.8 assists. He was selected seventh overall by Sacramento in 1998.

The 29-year-old Posey, who has career averages of 10.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in six seasons, will provide depth behind Dwyane Wade. The 6-8 Posey has the ability to play both guard and forward.

"James Posey is going to be a perfect compliment to Shaq, Dwyane, Walker, Williams, Udonis, because he is a defense-oriented, slashing player who can run the break, play above the rim and will make the open three," Riley said.

In Jones, the Grizzlies get a consummate professional who has averaged 16.4 points during an 11-year career.

"Eddie Jones is an All-Star caliber player who has a terrific NBA career," Grizzlies president of basketball operations Jerry West said. "He is a great 3-point shooter who will make an immediate impact on our offense while serving as a solid defender in our backcourt."

<!-- 1123045421-0000767970 1123045433 -->

Updated on Wednesday, Aug 3, 2005 1:03 am EDT

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
RunawaySlave said:
Does this make the Heat better??

Not to me

Heat acquire F Walker in largest trade in NBA history

whoa....they are damn sure different....looks like they got a few that won't hesitate to put it up ;) ...if they can gel, they may have something or the Big Fella will be mad as hell :eek:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
I can't wait to see Shaq's face the first time Walker hoists up one
of his 28 foot bricks when the Heat are down by 1 with 45 seconds
to go, or when Jason Williams comes down and flings up one of his
patented off balance 3's. The look Shaq's should be priceless.
Good for a few "What??" comedy sigs at least. Only good thing

Walker is talented. Soft as baby shit though. He's the worst PF
in the NBA. To add to that, this mofo got the nerve to have an EGO
about getting the ball. He'll probably complain that he's not getting
enough shots in Miami. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt....

If he can keep his ego in check, be satisfied with 8-13 shots per
game they'll be alright. If he take QUALITY shots, shoots 47-53%
(yeah right), this will be a good trade. But honestly, I don't see
him becoming a good citizen like that