NY CHOW Report: Little Jamaica and Prospect Park

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
NY CHOW Report Contributing Editor Alex Van Buren loves Jamaican food this time of year, particularly beef patties, jerk chicken and festival, all of which make for a fine picnic in Brooklyn's Prospect Park.

Last edited:

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
how she gone highlight the pioneer grocery and train stop on parkside, but not drop in exquisite jamaican restaurant opposite them. the food is really good there.

MCP

International
International Member
Nice of her to even talk about Caribbean food in that neighbourhood.

This could potentially add curious customers to their businesses which can only be a good thing.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
UPDATE M/B TRIED BOTH THESE PLACES..... ALL I CAN SAY IS
SimmonsDAMN.gif
THATS GOOD FOOD... PARKING IS A BITCH!

Peppa's Jerk Chicken Restaurant
738 Flatbush Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11226
at Woodruff Ave. See Map | Subway Directions
347-406-2515 Send to Phone

Cuisine: Caribbean
Price Range: $
Reader Rating: 8 out of 10 | 2 Reviews | Write a Review

Photo by Patrick Siggins
MapRate & Review
Share this listing
Facebook
Twitter
Digg
Share This
HOURS
Daily, 24 hours
NEARBY SUBWAY STOPS
Q at Parkside Ave.
PRICES
$5-$12
PAYMENT METHODS
Cash Only
SPECIAL FEATURES
24-Hours
Lunch
Take-Out
ALCOHOL
No Alcohol
RESERVATIONS
Not Accepted
This small Jamaican take-out joint—located amidst the 99-cent stores and hair salons of Flatbush Avenue—is the neighborhood's go-to spot for jerk chicken. Under a psychedelic Bob Marley poster, overworked mothers and hungry bachelors lean against half-mirrored, tropical-green paneled walls as a stone-faced counter staff plucks tender birds from the industrial steel grill then hacks the meat into quarters on a plastic yellow cutting board—all to a blasted reggae beat. The flavorful blackened skin on each order, though speckled with ground chile, proves surprisingly mild. To get a real kick, you're going to need to sprinkle your plate with Peppa's fiery red jerk sauce, a vinegary concoction dotted with serious pepper flakes. Oxtail, curry shrimp and escoveitched fish add Caribbean authenticity to the menu, as does the breakfast menu of callaloo with codfish and banana porridge, and the cooler stocked with peanut punch and pineapple soda. But most folks opt for the chicken with rice and peas (slang for "beans"). — Nicole LaRosa

Extra
Peppa's used to be part of the Flatbush-Avenue-famous Danny's and Pepper's, jerk stand, but the warring factions split in 2004, when Pepper spiced up his name and opened his own shop.
1peppas.jpg

Last edited:

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Flatbush Avenue
Skipping that Caribbean vacation this year? Let this Brooklyn walk transport you to the tropics.[ /SIZE]
725.otc.x476.PeppasJerkChicken.jpg

Start: Parkside Ave at Ocean Ave
End: Glenwood Rd at Flatbush Ave
Distance: 2.1 miles
Time: 3 hours

1 Emerge from the Parkside Ave Q station and follow your nose to Peppa’s Jerk Chicken (738 Flatbush Ave between Parkside and Woodruff Aves, Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn; 347-406-2515). You have a lot of eating ahead of you, so stick with a small order ($5) of the house specialty, but make sure to ask for at least one “festival”—these semisweet, deep-fried rolls are $1 apiece. Don’t forget to squeeze some hot sauce into your takeaway tray.

2 Peppa’s doesn’t have tables, so turn around and head for Prospect Park. You’ll be at the southeastern gate, where, on Sundays at Drummer’s Grove, vendors sell mangoes, incense and books about Marcus Garvey. This isn’t your college’s hippie drum circle: The interaction between Trinidadian pannists, West African djembe players and Rastafarians banging out Nyabinghi rhythms is an ethnomusicologist’s dissertation waiting to happen.

3 With its pastel-green paint job, you can’t miss Flatbush-Caton Market (794–814 Flatbush Ave at Caton Ave; 718-941-1425, flatbushcatonmarket.com). Inside the indoor bazaar you’ll find flags, T-shirts and belt buckles representing various island nations, plus Panama and Guyana. Karlene Robinson of Golden 7 Music Enterprise, a kiosk selling CDs for $15, keeps the sound system hot with Haitian compass by Tabou Combo, chutney soca by Trinidad’s Karma, and dancehall vet Buju Banton’s new one, Rasta Got Soul.

4 After devouring your Peppa’s fare, you’re going to want to learn how to re-create the food at home. Best Farm Market (818 Flatbush Ave at Caton Ave, 718-462-1806) stocks J.F. Mills’s “quick and easy” festival mix for $2.49, and Caribbean Choice brand jerk seasoning for $3.99.

5 Don’t eat meat? Detour onto Church Avenue, Brooklyn’s ground zero for Ital food, the strict natural diet kept by Rastafarians. Walk past the ruins of the late, great Veggie Castle to Strictly Vegetarian (2268 Church Ave between Bedford and Flatbush Aves, 718-284-2543), where the friendly staff will cram as much soy chunks, rice, collard greens, curry tofu and lo mein as its small ($6), medium ($8) and large ($10) Styrofoam containers can handle. Wash it all down with a $2 cup of homemade sorrel.

6 Now that you’re familiar with new Flatbush, take a moment to explore the neighborhood’s history. Buildings under 100 years old are the exception here, but the oldest of them all is Flatbush Reformed Church (890 Flatbush Ave at Church Ave; 718-284-5140, flatbushreformedchurch.org), which dates to 1654. The castlelike complex across the street is Erasmus Hall High School (911 Flatbush Ave), alma mater of Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond and one of the first secondary schools in North America (it opened in 1787, though the main building was built in 1904).

7 For such a lively thoroughfare, Flatbush is remarkably devoid of drinking establishments. Which makes a stop at Foundation Bar and Lounge (1254 Flatbush Ave at Newkirk Ave, 718-693-5425) all the more crucial. A board above the bar advertises drinks with names like “Blow Job,” “Back Shot” and “Choke a Bitch”; everyone here seems content with $5 Guinness bottles, though.

8 Believed to have escaped from a shipment at JFK Airport in the ’60s, the wild Quaker parrots of Brooklyn College (2900 Bedford Ave) actually predate the Caribbean immigration wave that began in the ’70s. While the fluorescent green fowl have been spotted virtually boroughwide, Steve Baldwin of BrooklynParrots.com says the institute’s soccer field is the likeliest location for an encounter. Those who wish to skip obtaining a guest pass at the school’s front entrance can simply walk along Campus Road to 22nd Street. “Here, you’re on public property and can often see the parrots foraging on the field or perching on the fence,” Baldwin says.

9 If you’re still hungry, experiment with Haitian food at tiny Yo Yo Fritaille (2811 Glenwood Rd at Kenilworth Pl, 718-724-1844). There’s no menu and the staff speaks little English, but point at what looks good and say a number, and you’ll score yourself that dollar amount’s worth of such delicacies as marinade (tasty chicken-flavored fritters) or griot (fried pork confits).

10 Need a ride back to the park? So-called dollar vans are nearly as ubiquitous in Central Brooklyn—and on Flatbush in particular—as cabs in midtown. Having long since outlived their name, the controversial jitneys (check your guy’s plates to make sure he’s licensed by the TLC—wild-driving renegades abound!) now cost as much as a bus ride. Unlike the MTA, though, they’ll drop you wherever you want, so long as your destination is on the same street where you got in.

RELATED

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kznLqfP_K...BU/BbNrbMeZW3Y/s320/Jamaican+Pride+Bakery.jpg
Jamaican+Pride+Bakery.jpg

Okay. So we don't have a lot of snooty sammies with roasted red peppers in "Parkside." (that's the name of the neighborhood...get used to it). But hey, if you need to drop $10 for a handcrafted unsatisfying ironically named sandwich on baguette, go to Provisions in Ft. Greene, where all the staff is trendy and the music is Pitchfork approved. If you're not up for that trek, and you've got less than $2 to your name, then stop by Jamaican Pride Bakery on Flatbush btw Parkside and Flatbush. I thought Christie's did 'em right. But this version of the Beef Patty is so juicy, hot and flaky you might need to wash it down with a cold "Ting," the Island stand-in for Mello Yello.

“We use Black Angus beef and fat from the caps of the prime rib,'' said Desmond Patterson, a co-owner. Jamaican Pride's ground beef filling combines plenty of black pepper and Scotch bonnet ??), fresh thyme and allspice (Jamaicans call it pimento), two signature seasonings in Jamaican cooking. It is slightly soupy, like a sloppy Joe. Patties at most New York shops tend to be drier, with the meat pastelike, in the traditional style. (this from the NY Times, so you KNOW it's true.)

If you're carb-loading, be sure to ask for the patty in bread (as in the picture above). Though in my opinion, that's like ordering a hot dog in bun ON rye. As they like to say on Brownstoner: "what do you think?" and "what would you pay?"

Last edited:

mariano42

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
peppa jerk chicken is the best jerk on the ave. and it's nothing new here. the wait is long at times 10 - 20 min to get your order. I stopped going to fisherman's cove on chruch ave. bad customer service :smh:.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
peppa jerk chicke
n is the best jerk on the ave. and it's nothing new here. the wait is long at times 10 - 20 min to get your order. I stopped going to fisherman's cove on chruch ave. bad customer service :smh:.

Kool man if fuc king parking wasnt so bad I would go more often man and those patties across the street is so damn good

vandamation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I vouch for ALL THOSE SPOTS POSTED... :yes:
BUT...
I'm a QUEENS DUDE... and I couldn't get out to those spots like I wanted to...

THANK GOD... There was a restaurant NOT far from my old crib...
It's called 'THE DOOR'... :yes:
... NOW, even though it's in the hood... It's a spot that you can DEFINITELY BRING A FEMALE TO...

On the corner of GUY R BREWER and BAISLEY... :yes:
The food is OFF THE CHAIN... :yes:

http://www.caribbeanaffairs.info/The_Door.htm

Iron

Support BGOL
Registered
I just ate a full plate of my grandma's spaghetti and now I'm hungry again.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
BUT...

... NOW, even though it's in the hood... It's a spot that you can DEFINITELY BRING A FEMALE TO...

thanks

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BUT...

that buffet on Sunday mornings
:yes:

try out henricas on francis lewis and sunrise too

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
UPDATE M/B TRIED BOTH THESE PLACES..... ALL I CAN SAY IS
SimmonsDAMN.gif
THATS GOOD FOOD... PARKING IS A BITCH!

Peppa's Jerk Chicken Restaurant
738 Flatbush Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11226
at Woodruff Ave. See Map | Subway Directions
347-406-2515 Send to Phone

Cuisine: Caribbean
Price Range: $
Reader Rating: 8 out of 10 | 2 Reviews | Write a Review

Photo by Patrick Siggins
MapRate & Review
Share this listing
Facebook
Twitter
Digg
Share This
HOURS
Daily, 24 hours
NEARBY SUBWAY STOPS
Q at Parkside Ave.
PRICES
$5-$12
PAYMENT METHODS
Cash Only
SPECIAL FEATURES
24-Hours
Lunch
Take-Out
ALCOHOL
No Alcohol
RESERVATIONS
Not Accepted
This small Jamaican take-out joint—located amidst the 99-cent stores and hair salons of Flatbush Avenue—is the neighborhood's go-to spot for jerk chicken. Under a psychedelic Bob Marley poster, overworked mothers and hungry bachelors lean against half-mirrored, tropical-green paneled walls as a stone-faced counter staff plucks tender birds from the industrial steel grill then hacks the meat into quarters on a plastic yellow cutting board—all to a blasted reggae beat. The flavorful blackened skin on each order, though speckled with ground chile, proves surprisingly mild. To get a real kick, you're going to need to sprinkle your plate with Peppa's fiery red jerk sauce, a vinegary concoction dotted with serious pepper flakes. Oxtail, curry shrimp and escoveitched fish add Caribbean authenticity to the menu, as does the breakfast menu of callaloo with codfish and banana porridge, and the cooler stocked with peanut punch and pineapple soda. But most folks opt for the chicken with rice and peas (slang for "beans"). — Nicole LaRosa

Extra
Peppa's used to be part of the Flatbush-Avenue-famous Danny's and Pepper's, jerk stand, but the warring factions split in 2004, when Pepper spiced up his name and opened his own shop.
1peppas.jpg
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/XKebetPNr4U?version=3[/FLASH]
WILL BE GOING BACK REAL SOOON!:yes::yes:

Clubber_lang

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
BUT...

I have eaten there. The food is great! It's good to see a nice seated family restaurant in that area.

daking181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BUT...

Damn for some reason I've never eaten there. Between going toAugust Martin and getting my sons hair cut around the corner, I don't know why I've never tried it

jayhawk_529

Urban n Gangsta Superstar
BGOL Investor
If its a late friday or saturday night, and Im coming from the city, Im makin a move to Peppas. Most of us Bk cats already know the deal.:yes:

Oh and regardin that $8 plate being enough to feed 2 people, (according to the white lady in the video clip)...

Fuck Outta here! Im killin that shit for dolo. Get your own! :lol:

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
If its a late friday or saturday night, and Im coming from the city, Im makin a move to Peppas. Most of us Bk cats already know the deal.:yes:

Oh and regardin that $8 plate being enough to feed 2 people, (according to the white lady in the video clip)...

Fuck Outta here! Im killin that shit for dolo. Get your own! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::yes::yes::yes:

KINGSAPIO

Torah All Day!
BGOL Investor
Peppas is open til 6:30am. When brethrens from Caribbean City or ESPECIALLY Temptations (close at 6am) that's the first place brethrens go with their "side pieces" (if you know what i mean) to get some jerk chicken before laying the pipe at the telly.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Peppas is open til 6:30am. When brethrens from Caribbean City or ESPECIALLY Temptations (close at 6am) that's the first place brethrens go with their "side pieces" (if you know what i mean) to get some jerk chicken before laying the pipe at the telly.

damnnnn! did not know that:hithead::bravo:

dik cashmere

Freaky Tah gettin high that's my brother
BGOL Investor
Damn for some reason I've never eaten there. Between going toAugust Martin and getting my sons hair cut around the corner, I don't know why I've never tried it

u must be talking bout many styles barber shop