North Korea's third day of shelling South Korean buffer zone, warns of response to 'provocations'

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

North Korea's third day of shelling South Korean buffer zone, warns of response to 'provocations'

Story by Vladyslava Kovalenko • 6h

AA1mAAHA.img

hoto: Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korean dictator Kim
Jong Un (Getty Images)© RBC-Ukraine

North Korea has threatened a military response to "provocations" as it continues to shell the buffer zone near South Korea for the third consecutive day, reports Reuters, quoting Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.

Preceding events

On January 5, North Korea fired approximately 200 artillery shells near two South Korean islands on the western border – Yeonpyeong and Baengnyeong, prompting the evacuation of island residents. In response, South Korea conducted exercises.

The following day, January 6, North Korea repeated the provocation, launching about 60 projectiles into the waters near the South Korean island group of Yeonpyeong. All projectiles landed in the maritime buffer zone.

Continued shelling and threats

Today
, North Korea launched around 90 projectiles, asserting that its exercises posed no threat to South Korea as they were conducted parallel to the border.

"I make myself clear once again that the safety catch of trigger of the Korean People's Army (KPA) had already been slipped. As already declared, the KPA will launch an immediate military strike if the enemy makes even a slight provocation," said the dictator's sister.

The following day, January 6, North Korea repeated the provocation, launching about 60 projectiles into the waters near the South Korean island group of Yeonpyeong. All projectiles landed in the maritime buffer zone.

Continued shelling and threats

Today, North Korea launched around 90 projectiles, asserting that its exercises posed no threat to South Korea as they were conducted parallel to the border.

"I make myself clear once again that the safety catch of trigger of the Korean People's Army (KPA) had already been slipped. As already declared, the KPA will launch an immediate military strike if the enemy makes even a slight provocation," said the dictator's sister.

VideoBlue.svg
Related video: Most serious military escalation in the Korean peninsula since 2010 (WION)

Last edited: