Lookback thread: Was Carmelo Anthony robbed of Rookie of the Year?

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
Was Carmelo Anthony robbed of Rookie of the Year?

Lebron James won it and is clearly is the best player of the two now. But just look at their rookie seasons:

Melo played in more games
Melo had the better FG%
Melo had the better 3 point %
Melo had the better free throw %
Melo had more points
Melo had more rebounds
Melo had less turnovers

Lebron had more Steals, blocks, and assists.

Melo's team won 43-39 and made the playoffs with 0 all-star teammates.
Lebron's team was 35-47 and missed the playoffs with 2 all-star teammates (Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Carlos Boozer).

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

alexw

Platinum Member
post the exact stats
stats.jpg

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
he probably got it because they won like 20+ more games with him...they had only won 17 games the year before (which looks like that is where they are headed this year..lol) but the case can be made for Melo...fuck Joe D by the way

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
juss like penny and steph should've won it to..da bigger name won in all 3 cases..webber ova penny..ai ova steph..lebron ova carmelo

Duffle_Bag

Star
Registered

There is not much a difference between their rebounding and scoring stats, and Lebron had way more assists. I think Melo should have won, even though he played with better players than Lebron, but it's hard to overlook a rookie averaging 20-5-5, just like Tyreke.

Bruh In Law

The Peoples Champ
Certified Pussy Poster
juss like penny and steph should've won it to..da bigger name won in all 3 cases..webber ova penny..ai ova steph..lebron ova carmelo

yep, plus Lebron do more stuff to make you say wow.
the flare had to factor in too.
Lebron is a one of a kind player

alexw

Platinum Member
There is not much a difference between their rebounding and scoring stats, and Lebron had way more assists. I think Melo should have won, even though he played with better players than Lebron.

hold up though, denver won 17 games the season before melo got there

once melo arrived, they went to the playoffs

the james led team missed the playoffs

there may not not be much difference in the stats but melo still was superior

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-04-20-rookie-of-the-year_x.htm

peep this article, james had 70+ first place votes, it wasnt even competitive

the nba is the wwe

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Close numbers but James do so many more intangibles such as play the 1-4 position if needed, and better defense. Didn't see much of him back then, but I do know that a LeBron 20pt game usually >>> a Mello 20pt game. So in the case of similar stats, James would usually get the nod.

alexw

Platinum Member
he probably got it because they won like 20+ more games with him...they had only won 17 games the year before (which looks like that is where they are headed this year..lol) but the case can be made for Melo...fuck Joe D by the way

i feel you but denvers turn around was even bigger

Duffle_Bag

Star
Registered
hold up though, denver won 17 games the season before melo got there

once melo arrived, they went to the playoffs

the james led team missed the playoffs

there may not not be much difference in the stats but melo still was superior

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-04-20-rookie-of-the-year_x.htm

peep this article, james had 70+ first place votes, it wasnt even competitive

the nba is the wwe

Melo's stats were superior by a hair. He scored 21.0, Lebron scored 20.9. Their stats were identical except for assists. And as I added to my previous post, it's real hard to overlook a player who averaged 20-5-5. How players in the league averaged that, let alone among rookies.

alexw

Platinum Member
Melo's stats were superior by a hair. He scored 21.0, Lebron scored 20.9. Their stats were identical except for assists. And as I added to my previous post, it's real hard to overlook a player who averaged 20-5-5. How players in the league averaged that, let alone among rookies.

melo stats were still superior...period

regardless of the measurement

and in my opinion its crazy to overlook a rookie player who lead his team to the playoffs in the much more difficult western conference(at that time)

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
i feel you but denvers turn around was even bigger

welp...throws that out..didnt know they had a largest increase in win-losses..
but you know how it goes man...just like a lot of people didnt think Blake Griffin won the slam dunk contest... NBA does this type of shit to build up players..

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
Not enough of a statistical difference to talk about, so LeBron was rewarded for living up to a MONSTROUS amount of hype.

Duffle_Bag

Star
Registered
melo stats were still superior...period

regardless of the measurement

and in my opinion its crazy to overlook a rookie player who lead his team to the playoffs in the much more difficult western conference(at that time)

I'm not really sure what the criteria is for rookie of the year, is it wins or is it stats or what. But I think the award could have went either way, but it's ridiculous that Lebron won it by such a large margin.

yeah...that stat got a lot of play because it has rarely been done by a rookie..

It's rarely done at all. Last season, only 3 people did it (Kobe, Lebron, Tyreke). It's just impressive period.

alexw

Platinum Member
I'm not really sure what the criteria is for rookie of the year, is it wins or is it stats or what. But I think the award could have went either way, but it's ridiculous that Lebron won it by such a large margin.

yeah I really dont give a fuck about it now. Just a little afternoon debate for the board.

I do agree that lebron winning by such a large amount of first place votes was just out right ridiculous

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
No he wasn't robbed. Lebron scored a point less while basically running point guard. He had more turnovers because he had ball far more. With those "All-Stars" in Boozer and Z (Only an All-star cause that time ANYBODY could make the All-Star team in the East at Center)..they won 17 games...

Surprisingly, you seem to over look that Lebrons 20/5/5 were only matched by Jordan and Big O's rookie season. Carmelo didnt run the Nuggets Andre Miller did. Lebron was the primary facilitator and scorer as an 18 year old rookie, Carmelo didn't get robbed at all.

Diamels

Star
Registered
Melo was playing in the defensively weaker west so his scoring and shooting numbers would better than if he went to a east squad.

Dragonfly Jones

Home practicing on my arts
Registered
I thought at the time it should have been a Grant Hill Jason Kidd co-rookie of the year. They both deserved it, Melo a little more than Bron that year.

alexw

Platinum Member
No he wasn't robbed. Lebron scored a point less while basically running point guard. He had more turnovers because he had ball far more. With those "All-Stars" in Boozer and Z (Only an All-star cause that time ANYBODY could make the All-Star team in the East at Center)..they won 17 games...

Surprisingly, you seem to over look that Lebrons 20/5/5 were only matched by Jordan and Big O's rookie season. Carmelo didnt run the Nuggets Andre Miller did. Lebron was the primary facilitator and scorer as an 18 year old rookie, Carmelo didn't get robbed at all.

regardless, melo won more games in a harder conference, he had better stats, and he didnt play with all stars

you cant debate that

the kid was robbed

alexw

Platinum Member
Melo was playing in the defensively weaker west so his scoring and shooting numbers would better than if he went to a east squad.

the east was terrible back then

are you serious dude??????????

KrafMatik

Rising Star
Registered
Lebron won the award for living up to all the hype. Never before had a high school player received so much attention and then backed it all up on the court.

thereason

Star
Registered
yo u brought me back to the big ass argument that almost ended a fight at the bb court when that happen. Most people feel it should of either been melo or co-rookies

massdagod

Rising Star
OG Investor
Huh?

Webbers stats >>> Pennys

Iversons stats >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marburys

I fail to see your point.

Yes, Melo got robbed because he had better stats AND made the playoffs

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
regardless, melo won more games in a harder conference, he had better stats, and he didnt play with all stars

you cant debate that

the kid was robbed

He was the leading scorer on a team that made the playoffs you are right but Lebrons stats were only put up by 2 rookies in HISTORY before him..You cant debate that either. Stop acting like Andre Miller and Camby amongst others on that team were scrubs and stop acting like Big Z was a "real" All-Star man..nobody played center in the East at that time.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Like many has expressed , I can see an argument for either side, however, I do recall people feeling that coming out of high school, James priority was to fit in the system and learn how to get his teammates involved, often sacrificing his own personal stats in the process.
While Mello being the more NBA ready player, was allowed to go all out on full throttle and found a perfect team to thrive in, with Denver's run and gun style of play.
Looking back at both careers it would be impossible to say that the assessment that James was the better player was the incorrect one.

mariano42

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
should've been a co-rookie of the year, their stats was almost similar. but lebron got it because the nba needed a new micheal jordan and in order to do that they want his NBA resume to look good.:smh::smh: