Legendary Jazz Vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson - R.I.P. (January 27, 1941 – August 15, 2016)

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
Man Gawd damn.... I didn't even know Bubby Hutcherson was still around.

R.I.P.

Peace Fonz,

Yeah, BROTHER BOBBY was still touring.

I saw Bobby at the Long Beach Jazz Festival, Yoshi's up in Oakland, Jazz Bakery and Catalina Bar and Grill. All during the past 10 years or so. Maybe a few different times at The Jazz Bakery and Catalina Bar and Grill.

One of my favorite artist of any genre. The vibes are a magical instrument!

DAMN!

Commish

Big Coin Star
Registered
17HUTCHERSON-web1-master768.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/arts/music/bobby-hutcherson-dies-jazz.html?_r=0

RIP to a true jazz legend! He has been sampled many times by many people.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
2 GIANTS OF THE VIBES MILT "BAGS" JACKSON AND BOBBY HUTCHERSON!!!

DUDES JUST DON'T PLAY IT LIKE THIS ANYMORE!

No they don't in fact I can't listen much to today's watered down spiritless jazz. You get no solos, the musicians just simply play the songs, they jazz nothing up its nothing more than elevator music.

In fact as far as I know there's only one radio station in the country that's still playing this form of jazz. That's WBGO in Newark, NJ. 88.3 FM, they have a west coast sister station but I've never been able to find it. Oh yeah you can pick up WBGO online.

BTW those are some nice selections you've picked.

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
No they don't in fact I can't listen much to today's watered down spiritless jazz. You get no solos, the musicians just simply play the songs, they jazz nothing up its nothing more than elevator music.

In fact as far as I know there's only one radio station in the country that's still playing this form of jazz. That's WBGO in Newark, NJ. 88.3 FM, they have a west coast sister station but I've never been able to find it. Oh yeah you can pick up WBGO online.

BTW those are some nice selections you've picked.

Peace,

Thanks, for the complementary words.

They have a kjzz 88.1 station. Its a mix of traditional on some days, blues and latin.

But not any 24x 7 Sonny Rollins, Roland Kirk. Pharoah Sander, Bobby Hutcherson, Monk or Trane just to name a few. They play it but not 24x7.

Its a show called "RISE" that come on Sunday at 11PM on KPFK 90.7 FM. My man plays a all traditional jazz. It runs from 11 PM - 3 AM.

Its kind of late for me but good thing is they have an archive. Its great show. You should check it out.

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
the jazz funk collective around the world are broken hearted right now.
REST IN PEACE BOBBY HUTCHERSON

99f620969e89cc3843e1ed6a5bfdefdd.gif

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Peace,

Thanks, for the complementary words.

They have a kjzz 88.1 station. Its a mix of traditional on some days, blues and latin.

But not any 24x 7 Sonny Rollins, Roland Kirk. Pharoah Sander, Bobby Hutcherson, Monk or Trane just to name a few. They play it but not 24x7.

Its a show called "RISE" that come on Sunday at 11PM on KPFK 90.7 FM. My man plays a all traditional jazz. It runs from 11 PM - 3 AM.

Its kind of late for me but good thing is they have an archive. Its great show. You should check it out.

WBGO is 24/7 except on Saturdays when they do Classic R&B until 2PM.

I hope these stations are online so I can check them out? BTW the best thing about WBGO is its a commercial free station.

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
WBGO is 24/7 except on Saturdays when they do Classic R&B until 2PM.

I hope these stations are online so I can check them out? BTW the best thing about WBGO is its a commercial free station.

Yes they are!

Go to the KPFK website and you can listen to the Sunday broadcast of "RISE".

Its a R&B show right after it call "STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN" they do 60's, 70's, and 80's classic soul and R&B. It not be truly old school depending on how old you are but a good fix.

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
Mods,

Can we get a sticky on this thread.

BOBBY HUTCHERSON was true LEGEND and JAZZ GIANT!

I'm sure this will put some old and young heads up on his work, along with the very high powered musicians he played along side.

I believe a sticky would be a fitting tribute to his genius!

Along with the power and creativity of BLACK PEOPLE!