Iraq Vote: Jan. 31, 2009

Greed

Star
Registered
Iraqi voters show preference for can-do over creed
By Jane Arraf Jane Arraf
Fri Jan 23, 3:00 am ET

Baghdad – Mohamed al-Rubeiy, the image of a prosperous businessman in a dark blue suit and gold watch, beams from thousands of posters plastered on walls advertising his run for a seat in Iraq's provincial elections.

The liberal, middle-aged businessman is running a campaign that he says was inspired by Barack Obama – blending American-style tactics with traditional Iraqi politics – and is emblematic of what appears to be a groundswell against rule by religious parties.

"There has been a backlash," says Adnan Pachachi, a former Iraqi foreign minister and now a member of parliament. Mr. Rubeiy is affiliated with his party. "There has been so much corruption because the religious parties got people who were not qualified to run the ministries.... It's really been a bitter disappointment in some places because they say we voted for them and they did nothing."

An Iraqi government-funded opinion poll recently found that nearly one-third of voters surveyed listed improving local services as their biggest priority. Almost half preferred secular over religious candidates.

Rubeiy is one of more than 4,400 candidates competing for 440 provincial council seats in 14 (out of 18) Iraqi provinces. The vote, with its much larger participation by Sunni parties than the last election, is expected to redraw Iraq's political map in many places and pave the way for a redistribution of power in national elections at the end of the year.

Rubeiy is counting on the religious backlash – and studying Mr. Obama's political playbook. "I was very affected by President Obama when he spoke with people in the debates," says the Romanian-educated engineer, brimming with enthusiasm. So affected, he challenged one of his rivals, the mayor of Baghdad, to debate him. Thursday's face-off, he says, was the first of its kind in Baghdad.

"Obama, in his debate, brought many people in his direction and when he talked about change ... [and] that's what I needed to start my campaign for the provincial council," says Rubeiy.

It also led to the slogan on the larger-than-life posters being unrolled by some of the 500 young volunteers at his office on a recent afternoon in Baghdad's Karrada district: "Vote for the path of change."

"I pay from my pocket – I don't put money in my pocket," he tells a meeting of more than 100 sheikhs in the Zafaraniya district, a message he will deliver dozens more times before the Jan. 31 election. "I didn't ask for your votes in 2005, but I need them now."

A liberal Shiite, first appointed by US authorities as head of the Karrada City Council in 2003 and then elected to the post, Rubeiy had a dismal showing when he ran for provincial council four years ago. He's learned since then.

"I ran in the 2005 elections as an independent liberal and got 10,000 votes. I needed 36,000," says Rubeiy. This election, he is still an independent but affiliated with a list of candidates symbolically headed by Ayad Allawi, the first head of the US-installed provisional government in 2003.

Under Iraq's revamped electoral system voters will be able to vote for individuals as well as lists. Rubeiy is counting on what appears to be a nostalgic appeal for Mr. Allawi – a secular strongman who did poorly in the last national elections when religious parties swept the slate – as well as his own personal standing.

On Wednesday afternoon, Rubeiy's campaign "operations room" is filled with soccer players – half from his home neighborhood of Karrada and half from Sadr City – the Shiite stronghold. The movement loyal to radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr is not formally fielding candidates in the elections, leaving hundreds of thousands of votes up for grabs.

"I voted last time for the Shiite list but they don't care about younger people," says Tariq Muwat, one of Rubeiy's volunteers from Sadr City. "They promised us a lot but we didn't get anything," says Mr. Murat, 35 and unemployed. He is one of hundreds of young men and women – Shiites, Sunnis, and Christians – working on Rubeiy's campaign.

Rubeiy, the son of a prominent sheikh and one of 11 brothers and three sisters from his father's four wives, turned to his brothers to help finance his campaign. So far, he says, he's spent 100 million Iraqi dinars (about $80,000). At a tribal lunch Wednesday in Zafaraniya, his aides hand out gold-plated watches and glossy brochures listing his achievements to the assembled guests.

Rubeiy's host, Sheikh Ismael al-Juhaishi, is Sunni and the guests are mixed. After three years of sectarian fighting, religion appears to have receded as an issue here – replaced by the more pressing preoccupations of electricity shortages and rampant unemployment. "People are saying for the first time they want technocrats," says a Baghdad-based diplomat. "They're fed up with religious parties who haven't been able to deliver services."

And that's what Rubeiy keeps reminding potential supporters. "I've served you for five years," he tells the rows of sheikhs fingering their prayer beads before platters of lamb and rice arrive. "There were no services here, no sewage or water."

"He's served us well," agrees Sheikh Ali Ahmed al-Bayati. "If we ask for things – like projects or help with displaced people, he gets them done."

This year, campaigning falls during the 40 days of mourning for the death of Imam Hussein and election posters compete for space with Shiite flags on buildings, concrete walls and intersections.

Even many traditional Shiite candidates are highlighting their nonreligious credentials.

"People know me for my faith and my scientific qualifications," says Tunis Farhan Aziz, a lawyer on the list of the First Martyr Sadr, named for Moqtada Sadr's uncle the Ayatollah Mohammad Bakr Sadr, executed by Saddam Hussein. "We need to build a strong economy with different facets.... We will try to fix the mistakes that happened before.

Hisham al-Suhail, deputy commissioner of the Iraqi High Electoral Commission, estimates security has improved by more than 90 percent in all provinces besides Mosul and Diyala. He says this election, the first held in a fully sovereign Iraq, will be largely free of widespread allegations of voter registration fraud in the previous vote.

"We will avoid the problems of previous elections," he says. "This election is controlled purely by Iraqi hands."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090123/ts_csm/otechno;_ylt=AqwinGCpzezVY4N2kL.5qiuNe8UF

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
`

Several comments raced through my mind as I read the article. Instead of a comment, however, these phrases/excerpts from the article, I believe, are extremely interesting, if not instructive:

"inspired by Barack Obama – blending American-style tactics with traditional Iraqi politics –- is emblematic of what appears to be a groundswell against rule by religious parties" . . . "Almost half [of Iraqi voters] preferred secular over religious candidates" . . . "The movement loyal to radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr is not formally fielding candidates in the elections" . . . After three years of sectarian fighting, religion appears to have receded . . . "[people are] fed up with religious parties who haven't been able to deliver services" . . . "Even many traditional Shiite candidates are highlighting their nonreligious credentials" . . . "This election is controlled purely by Iraqi hands."​

And, if they can pull this off, there would have to be at least some re-thinking of the Iraq War, overall.

QueEx

Greed

Star
Registered
`

Several comments raced through my mind as I read the article. Instead of a comment, however, these phrases/excerpts from the article, I believe, are extremely interesting, if not instructive:

"inspired by Barack Obama – blending American-style tactics with traditional Iraqi politics –- is emblematic of what appears to be a groundswell against rule by religious parties" . . . "Almost half [of Iraqi voters] preferred secular over religious candidates" . . . "The movement loyal to radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr is not formally fielding candidates in the elections" . . . After three years of sectarian fighting, religion appears to have receded . . . "[people are] fed up with religious parties who haven't been able to deliver services" . . . "Even many traditional Shiite candidates are highlighting their nonreligious credentials" . . . "This election is controlled purely by Iraqi hands."​

And, if they can pull this off, there would have to be at least some re-thinking of the Iraq War, overall.

QueEx
Why re-think it? People seem pretty happy with the their thoughts from six years ago.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="3">
And, don't forget about the so-called "Black Iraqis"
during the Iraqi election on January 31, 2009. See:

Following Obama, black Iraqis run for office</font size>
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=333065&highlight=black+iraqi

BIragi.jpg

diyaab_540.jpg

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>
Analysis: Saturday's elections
a crucial test for Iraqi democracy</font size></center>

McClatchy Newspapers
By Leila Fadel
Wednesday, January 28, 2009

BAGHDAD, Iraq — This Saturday, when Iraqis cast their ballots for 14 provincial councils, will be the first real test of Iraq's American-made democracy. Whether Iraqis reject or accept peaceful transfers of power will be the first credible indication of whether departing U.S. troops will leave behind a democratic Iraq or a failed state.

Iraqis will vote in 14 of the country's 18 provinces, and if the elections produce some peaceful and long-awaited shifts in power, it will be the first time that Iraqis will have reason to believe that change can come through ballots rather than bullets.

Since mutinous army officers murdered King Faisel II in 1958, Iraq has seen only a series of military coups. Modern Iraq's leaders all came to power at the point of a gun, including those who were carried into office in the wake of the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

Elections since then have been stained by violence that kept people from the polls, a boycott by Sunni Muslim Arabs and allegations of fraud and intimidation. The country's provincial councils are widely considered to be corrupt parties to the violence that engulfed the nation and killed tens of thousands, and most Iraqis have come to believe that Islamists exploited their faith and their religious leaders to dictate whether people should vote and whom they should elect.

The country descended into a bloody sectarian war in 2005, 2006 and part of 2007 that included the militias affiliated with the most powerful political parties.

Now Iraqis are weary. Electricity, water and other basic services are still scant, and so far, democracy has given them governments composed mostly of former exiles who sat out Saddam Hussein's brutality in cities from London to Tehran.

Men who once fought against the government of Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki and the American military are now among about 14,500 candidates who are competing for seats in the provincial assemblies. Even some who have no trust in the current government have put away their weapons and are trying their hands at democracy. If their votes don't produce the changes they seek, they say, they'll have no choice but to pick up their weapons again.

However, if Saturday's elections produce changes, if they're credible, if they're peaceful, if they pave the way for a successful national election at the end of the year and a drawdown of U.S. troops, Iraqis finally would have reason to believe in a democracy that so far has brought them nothing but devastation.

That also would open a window of opportunity for U.S. troops to depart leaving behind a government they could argue might be capable of facing Iraq's many challenges. The danger, of course, is that the window could be a mirage, that Iraq's competing factions are merely holding their fire and practicing democracy until the Americans get out of the way.

If both elections are failures, it would be devastating to Iraqis and Americans. The Obama administration, eager to turn its attention to Afghanistan, would have to decide whether to stay in Iraq and try to make a failed system work or to leave behind unfulfilled promises and a failed state.

(Fadel is McClatchy's Baghdad bureau chief.)

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/60931.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Polls Close in Iraq Elections
Held Amid Tight Security</font size>
<font size="4">
Elections Seen as Test of Iraq's Stability as U.S. Role Diminishes</font size></center>

PH2009013001768.jpg

Wshington Post
By Sudarsan Raghavan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Saturday, January 31, 2009

BAGHDAD, Jan 31 -- Iraqis streamed past police cordons and barbed wire as they went to the polls on Saturday to vote for the first time in four years. The elections are widely seen as a test of Iraq's stability as the U.S. role here diminishes.

As the polls closed Saturday evening, there were no reports of anyone being injured or killed for political reasons. At polling stations across Iraq, people voted calmly, with many bringing their families to participate in only the second elections since the collapse of former president Saddam Hussein's government. Voter turnout in many areas was lower than expected, according to early reports.

"I am so happy," declared Raad al-Shimari, 30, in Baghdad's Kadhamiyah neighborhood, flashing his forefinger, which had been dipped in purple ink to indicate he had just voted. "I chose the person that will represent me."

The all-important provincial elections are viewed as a key indicator of whether the nation can build upon fragile security gains and address imbalances in power that still plague many areas. More than 14,000 candidates are running for 440 seats to lead councils that are the equivalent of state legislatures in the United States.

The elections are unfolding in all of Iraq's provinces except three in the autonomous Kurdish region and the province that includes the disputed city of Kirkuk, where ethnic groups were unable to reach a power-sharing agreement paving the way for elections.

The voting at 7,000 polling stations opened shortly after dawn following a heavy security clampdown launched on Friday. Those security measures included closing Iraq's borders and airspace coupled with bans on vehicle traffic and the deployment of thousands of security personnel around polling stations. Officials extended the voting by one hour to accommodate last minute crowds.

In Tikrit, Saddam Hussein's hometown, three mortar shells landed near polling stations, said police. There were no injuries. At least five candidates have been killed in the run-up to the elections, but overall violence has been less than what was expected by U.S. commanders and Iraqi officials.

The only serious incident of violence occurred in Baghdad's Sadr City enclave when a scuffle between an Iraqi journalist and an Iraqi solider at a polling center led the soldier to accidentally fire his gun, killing a bystander. The incident was under investigation and the soldier is in custody, said Gen. Khalid Aydin, the chief of the security committee of Iraq's Electoral Commission.

Unlike the provincial and parliamentary elections in 2005, today's vote follows nearly a year of a fragile calm, as violence levels have declined significantly in many areas of the nation. A cease-fire by Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, the rise of a Sunni movement that turned against the insurgent group al-Qaeda in Iraq, and a surge in U.S. troops in 2007 has contributed to the security improvements.

In Baghdad's Karrada enclave, voters trickled into a polling station at a girls school, as Iraqi security forces and U.S. troops patrolled the streets.

"I came early because I feel this election is very important to reward the officials that worked for Iraq's unity and reject sectarianism," said Ghania Aboud Jasim, 60, after she voted. "I am here trying to change the situation of my country."

In the southern holy city of Najaf, where Shiite parties are in a fierce struggle for power, the morning turnout was below expectations, said election officials. In other parts of Iraq, officials also reported low turnout in the first hours.

Hassan al-Kurdi, 28, came out to vote because he was fed up with Iraq's ruling Islamist parties. "Clerics and religious people have not succeeded in leading the province," said Kurdi after he stepped out of a polling station in Najaf. "I hope this election will bring in secular people in the provincial council of Najaf, who can introduce progress and make development."

In Anbar province, Sunni tribal leaders and former insurgents are competing for power against established Sunni politicians. In 2005, most Sunnis boycotted the elections, creating imbalances on the provincial councils as Shiites and Kurds grabbed a disproportionate share of power. Sunni parties are expected to gain local power also in volatile Diyala province as well as in northern areas where they comprise a majority of the population.

In Fallujah, Anbar's second largest city, voter turnout was high, said election officials. Women were arriving to polling stations to cast votes, unprecedented in a conservative tribal society where women are not allowed to mingle freely with men. Many wore customary veils; female volunteers searched each women for weapons and bombs. Female suicide bombers have committed numerous attacks in Iraq during the past year.

"I came to vote because I want to see women representing women of Fallujah and Anbar and to prove through my participation that women are here and will play an important role," said Iman Karkaz, a college professor in Fallujah and women activist. "For sure this election will bring changes. The more women who take part in the election, the more likely this change will happen."

In the southern port city of Basra, women entered polling stations wearing colorful clothes, including skirts and boots that a year ago would have prompted Islamic fundamentalist to brand their attire as un-Islamic.

In some polling stations, voters couldn't cast ballots because they could not find their names on voter registration lists. To verify voter eligibility, Iraq still uses a complex Hussein-era system that revolves around national food rations lists. To vote, residents must find the name of their ration agent and then find themselves on the agent's list of families. If their name is missing, they are not allowed to vote.

There was mass confusion at the main voting center in Baghdad's Zayouna neighborhood. Dozens of voters were upset after they did not find their names on the list.

"I wandered all over four voting centers and each one tells me to go into another one," said Fahim Abdul Rahman Jassim, 63. "During the last elections I participated. So what is the change now? It means there is something I don't know."

"There is 100 percent forgery in these elections," he added angrily.

In the town of Khanaqin, in Diyala province, several thousand Kurds who were barred from casting votes launched a protest march in the provincial capital of Baqubah Saturday, demanding the right to vote.

Hussein's regime had forcefully removed them from Khanaqin and resettled them in Sunni areas. The Kurds had returned to their orginal homes in Khanaqin. But their food ration cards had been moved only last December, making them ineligible to vote, said election officials.

Special correspondents K.I. Ibrahim, Qais Mizher and Dalya Hassan in Baghdad and special correspondents in Najaf, Fallujah and other parts of Iraq contributed to this report.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...09013100601_2.html?sid=ST2009013101071&s_pos=