If Duke Men's Basketball wasn't a problem, they just became a SERIOUS one today though... smh

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/01/20/hyped-recruit-zion-Williamson-commits-duke

Zion Williamson, the most-hyped recruit from the class of 2018, committed to Duke, he announced Saturday at his Spartanburg High School.

The five-star power forward from South Carolina chose the Blue Devils over Clemson, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and more.

The 6-foot-6, 275-pound prospect has earned internet celebrity status through his viral dunks and has amassed 1.1 million Instagram followers. Drake even posted an Instagram wearing his Spartanburg High School jersey.

He even sold out a AAU game in Las Vegas featuring him and LaMelo Ball that more than 70,000 people streamed.

But Williamson has been able to capitalize on his celebrity moments because of his performance on the court.

Williamson averaged 36.8 points per game and 13 rebounds per game last season, according to 247sports.com.

He returned last week after missing games since November due to a foot injury.

-----

Duke's current 2018 Recruiting Class

Class Rank - Player
1. RJ Barrett
2. Zion Williamson
3. Cam Reddish (might be the best of the bunch)
10. Tre Jones

Damn... :smh:

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
Only thing is it seems like both Reddish and Williamson both need the ball in their hands to be really effective and so does Jones. Maybe it's me but none of these 1 and done players at Duke improve on any weaknesses while they're there.

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
PF and even on the mixtapes you'll occasionally see him a jump shot. Not many but a few.

How does he project as an NBA PF?

I really need to see him dominate the ACC before I can say I’m sold on him as a pro, but there’s so much talent coming to Duke he might not really get a chance.

One ball, you know?

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
Coach K is doing the KY thing. Win championships and players move on for the money.

d-weezy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He don't have a jump shot so they'll be a Sweet 16 team and I'm saying that as a Duke fan.
Should've went to a school that'll be more concerned with him getting to the next level and not being a team player.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered

I really need to see him dominate the ACC before I can say I’m sold on him as a pro, but there’s so much talent coming to Duke he might not really get a chance.

One ball, you know?

Honestly, I don't see him having a great NBA career at all. I see him as a nice 10-12 ppg type MAYBE, but he relies too much on being bigger and more athletic than other HS players, clearly doesn't work on the other aspects of his game really, and being a one and done, he's not going to have the freedom at a loaded Duke squad to work on it in time enough to improve for the draft. I see him struggling a bit next year, and he MAY fall out of the top 5 in the draft.

Now Cam Reddish, has superstar written all over him.. Barrett, I see a lot of Andrew Wiggins in him...

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm rooting for him.
he'll definitely have to develop a low post game.
every play is not gonna be a fast break.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor

One ball, you know?
Supposedly Reddish may be the most talented of the group he just hasn't been consistent. Barrett may be the most competitive and consistent. Williamson will probably have to play off ball and on the block. The problem with him as a PF is that he's listed at 6'6 and he hasn't shown enough shooting to be a SF though he's at his best going to the hoop cause nobody can slow him down. Saw a comparison of him to Larry Johnson which might be the most fitting one that I've seen thus far.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
He relies way too much on athletic ability and he's too short for the NBA. With reddish and Barrett, he won't see major minutes, and he has a suspect jump shot.

A team full of one and done only have championship level pedigree if they commit to defense, usually with a wing that excels in it(Gilchrist, Winslow) this year dukes team can't play d at all and if the one year is a showcase, early flame out again. A team of upperclassmen in the 25-100 range of high school ranking would kick their asses

Last edited:

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Coach K is doing the KY thing. Win championships and players move on for the money.

Thats where this is going, and thats why the NCAA is pissed. They thought the one year rule would keep players in college longer, but you still have mass exodus. Soon, all this big money is going to be a problem because the NCAA will not be able to cultivate 'face of the game' type college stars to market. And if they try to extend it an additional year, your going to see players go over seas, or hopefully Lavar's league will take off... :yes:

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He is only 6'5, 6'6 with shoes on. Duke has no quality big men next year, zero depth, and will have no experience. OConnell will probably transfer now, just like Tucker did.

They are losing everybody after this year. They will not be a threat to beat any experienced teams next year.

Duke was a good business decision for Zion, the stretch 4 spot was sitting there for him with no competition for it, and all the freedom he wants. Zion took the easy route, no guaranteed minutes at UNC or Kentucky unless cats left early.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
He is only 6'5, 6'6 with shoes on. Duke has no quality big men next year, zero depth, and will have no experience. OConnell will probably transfer now, just like Tucker did.

They are losing everybody after this year. They will not be a threat to beat any experienced teams next year.

Duke was a good business decision for Zion, the stretch 4 spot was sitting there for him with no competition for it, and all the freedom he wants. Zion took the easy route, no guaranteed minutes at UNC or Kentucky unless cats left early.

Stretch 4? Nah... kid can't shoot to save his life.. He ain't stretching shit! :lol:

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stretch 4? Nah... kid can't shoot to save his life.. He ain't stretching shit! :lol:

That's what Coach K told him, they gonna get run out of the gym, and might be the slowest team ever next year. Jones is the only quick player out of the 4, their defense will be awful, even worse than this year.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
That's what Coach K told him, they gonna get run out of the gym, and might be the slowest team ever next year. Jones is the only quick player out of the 4, their defense will be awful, even worse than this year.
If they are planning on him to be a stretch 4, they might not win 10 games... :lol:

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If they are planning on him to be a stretch 4, they might not win 10 games... :lol:
That's the plan. They will probably offer EJ Montgomery soon, try to get a big man at the last second like they did with Bagley. You know Coach K is not depending on Bolden.

If they don't get EJ, they gonna suck real bad.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor

No guaranteed minutes at UNC or Kentucky? Duke has more talent coming in than both and arguably has more talent on the team now. The only sure fire lottery pick on Kentucky right now is Knox and there's nobody like that on UNC. Trent will most likely be back, Bolden may as well stay as will DeLaurier. Tucker was stupid to go there in the first place. And at UNC Nassir Little is going to get plenty of minutes next year as would have Williamson if he went. Coach Cal doesn't guarantee minutes but Williamson would have gotten plenty of minutes there as well particularly if he showed a willingness to rebound.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
That's the plan. They will probably offer EJ Montgomery soon, try to get a big man at the last second like they did with Bagley. You know Coach K is not depending on Bolden.

If they don't get EJ, they gonna suck real bad.

Apparently UNC is already trying to get in the mix with Montgomery.

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No guaranteed minutes at UNC or Kentucky? Duke has more talent coming in than both and arguably has more talent on the team now. The only sure fire lottery pick on Kentucky right now is Knox and there's nobody like that on UNC. Trent will most likely be back, Bolden may as well stay as will DeLaurier. Tucker was stupid to go there in the first place. And at UNC Nassir Little is going to get plenty of minutes next year as would have Williamson if he went. Coach Cal doesn't guarantee minutes but Williamson would have gotten plenty of minutes there as well particularly if he showed a willingness to rebound.

Williamson would start over Maye or Cam Johnson or Kenny Williams??? They will all be seniors.

Duke only has 7 or 8 players on scholarship next year, that I know of. 4 of them are scrubs or trash men.

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Apparently UNC is already trying to get in the mix with Montgomery.

Yep, but as long as he is not committed, there is a chance the Coach K can put a spell on him.

Coach K got them clowns and their parents thinking Duke is the only school you can attend and be one and done.

Last edited:

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
Williamson would start over Maye or Cam Johnson or Kenny Williams??? They will all be seniors.

Duke only has 7 or 8 players on scholarship next year, that I know of. 4 of them are scrubs or trash men.
Yes. I could see him, Maye and Johnson starting together just as I would expect Little to start next year.

Most seasons Duke is only going to have a few players back cause they're on the one and done model now.

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes. I could see him, Maye and Johnson starting together just as I would expect Little to start next year.

Most seasons Duke is only going to have a few players back cause they're on the one and done model now.

Kenny Williams will be a senior, one of Roy's favorite players, and the top perimeter defender, he is definitely starting.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
Kenny Williams will be a senior, one of Roy's favorite players, and the top perimeter defender, he is definitely starting.
Him starting wouldn't have prevented Williamson from starting just as it won't prevent Little from starting.

DADDY4HOES

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Chose Duke if you want to develop your game on the collegiate level and be showcased, choose Kentucky if you have the high school credentials to get to the pros and don't mind getting lost in a maze of great players

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
ThoroughBowedAlligatorgar-max-1mb.gif
zion-block.gif

0066Leilgy1fdgpin6uefg30an05g1kz.gif

ShortQuestionableAlaskanhusky-size_restricted.gif
1m9bjb.gif

y0fRT5A.gif
zion-williamson-2.gif

yeahman727

Rising Star
Registered
Just seen RJ play last night. Smooth game. Two guys are better than RJ and Zion is Serrel Smith and Keldon Johnson. Keldon is a beast from Oak Hill but got shitted on by Serrel for 42pts also last nite. Had a big tournament in the area last night. Saw alot if all Americans

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
Chose Duke if you want to develop your game on the collegiate level and be showcased, choose Kentucky if you have the high school credentials to get to the pros and don't mind getting lost in a maze of great players
Hold up. Which of these one and done players at Duke have really elevated and developed their game like that? Jabari Parker didn't, Okafor didn't, Bolden didn't, Justice Winslow didn't, Duval hasn't, etc. While Gilchrist, Terrence Jones and some others haven't you can say that KAT did.
Hell Duke has failed to develop these players to the point that each of the last 3 years or so that they've played more zone than Coach K would like cause they can't even get that issue in order.