How To Make Oxtails Like a Haitian, Part 2: Cook and Enjoy

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
I saw nothing wrong with the recipe except the lowrys. On another note the mom was adlibbing too fucking much and the kid needs to be put away. Anytime you cook with lime juice, lemon or vinegar your meat will be tender. Thing is you can't eat this shit every day. That is all.

sahusahir

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just thinking how I have never been to a haitian food restaurant b4. Those oxtails look whack. Like southern soul food version, they booty. For the record, Jamaicans make the second best oxtails, Belizean oxtails are better.

Damian Stone

I saw a real UFO....
BGOL Investor
Just thinking how I have never been to a haitian food restaurant b4. Those oxtails look whack. Like southern soul food version, they booty. For the record, Jamaicans make the second best oxtails, Belizean oxtails are better.

You will not find oxtail in an Haitian restaurant.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I'll stick with griot from haitians... if I want oxtail's or a recipe -I'll go to jamaicans

tuckdog

Rising Star
Registered
While we're on the subject, a special "fuck you" goes out to all the Jamaican spots charging niggas 2.50 per oxtail. :hmm:

Alpha_Male

Star
Registered
You will not find oxtail in an Haitian restaurant.

You're speaking as you are some kind of authority on Haiti or Haitian food. Plenty of Haitian restaurants serve oxtail: queue boeuf. just last week I had oxtail with calalou (okra).

Jamaicans do not make better oxtail than haitians. I am bias, I am haitian. But i would take my argument to any impartial party.

KrafMatik

Rising Star
Registered
You're speaking as you are some kind of authority on Haiti or Haitian food. Plenty of Haitian restaurants serve oxtail: queue boeuf. just last week I had oxtail with calalou (okra).

Jamaicans do not make better oxtail than haitians. I am bias, I am haitian. But i would take my argument to any impartial party.

My girl is Haitian. Her recipe is better than any that I've ever had in a Jamaican spot.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

as a Trini, who loves haitian food and women... (although no where as much as I love Trini food and women ;) )

I've eaten delicious home made haitian oxtails from damn good cooks, but the jamaican recipe just tastes better... its not even close...

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
oxtail aint cheap fool
that's that bullshit - oxtails used to be dirt cheap... but like chicken wings over the last 15 years because of increasing demand, now we're paying prime meat prices for what the butcher used to give away with soup bones...

tuckdog

Rising Star
Registered
oxtail aint cheap fool

:rolleyes:

that's that bullshit - oxtails used to be dirt cheap... but like chicken wings over the last 15 years because of increasing demand, now we're paying prime meat prices for what the butcher used to give away with soup bones...

Exactly. Back in high school, I could get a oxtail dinner with 2 sides for 4.99. #nolunchspecial

Alpha_Male

Star
Registered
as a Trini, who loves haitian food and women... (although no where as much as I love Trini food and women ;) )

I've eaten delicious home made haitian oxtails from damn good cooks, but the jamaican recipe just tastes better... its not even close...

Here is KrafMatik's take :
My girl is Haitian. Her recipe is better than any that I've ever had in a Jamaican spot.

Most of us love women irrespective where they are from. But, for me, no other women come close to haitian women.

djkidrich

τђë κïd fяºm qµęęñ§
Certified Pussy Poster
oxtails are very fatty, but thats what makes them taste so boooooomb

put them bitches in a crock pot..... cook reeeeaaalll slow, get real nice and tender.... onion bell pepper, etc

drool.gif

:yes:

Damian Stone

I saw a real UFO....
BGOL Investor

Tell you what, you are right. There all sorts of Haitians and every part of Haiti got their own specialties and ways of cooking.

Now I have no idea what influences the people you know have BUT as far as my people are concerned WE do not cook oxtails you will not find it in any Haitian restaurant in Montreal and I have never seen it in Haiti where I go quite often, I actually just called a few peeps down there and asked them too.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
This looks about right

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jamaican-oxtail-with-broad-beans/

Ingredients

1 pound beef oxtail, cut into pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1 scotch bonnet chile pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup canned fava beans, drained
1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
Directions

Toss the oxtail with the onion, green onion, garlic, ginger, chile pepper, soy sauce, thyme, salt, and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the oxtail in the skillet until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Place into a pressure cooker, and pour in 1 1/2 cup water. Cook at pressure for 25 minutes, then remove from heat, and remove the lid according to manufacturer's directions.
Add the fava beans and allspice berries, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water, and stir into the simmering oxtail. Cook and stir a few minutes until the sauce has thickened, and the beans are tender.
Footnotes

Cook's Note
A slow cooker may be used instead of a pressure cooker in step 1. Simply place the browned oxtail and water into the slow cooker, and cook on Low for 10 hours, or High for 6 hours. Proceed with step 2 as stated.

========================

And please let your meat soak for 2-3 min, in either lemon juice or vinegar to cut the smell and bacteria of meat or poultry

chefblaise

Potential Star
Registered
Ramsey-page-001.jpg

Basic Ox tail recipe

Ox tails cleaned
Onions
Garlic (as much as you can stand) Helps to soften meat
Celery
Salt & Pepper
Vegetable oil
Kitchen Bouquet (Browning and seasoning)
Beef Stock or cubes
Potato flakes or corn starch to thicken liquid (optional)
Shot of Hennessey Optional

Remove excess fat from meat and put in large bowl
fine dice Onions, and generous amount of Garlic,
(the more the better) and celery, set aside. rub tablespoon of vegetable oil into meat while seasoning with Salt & Pepper, add Onions, Garlic and Celery and rub well into meat. add tablespoon of Kitchen Bouquet (browning and seasoning) and also rub this well into the meat, Let sit for an hour or for best results overnight. Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with Vegetable Oil until hot.(If available use a pressure cooker) Place meat in pot and brown all sides of the meat till browned, Pour water over meat and bring to first boil,add fresh thyme and then reduce to a simmer. Depending on the amount of garlic and marinating time let simmer for 2-3 hours or test for doneness.

Notes;

You can soak the meat in some milk for an hour or so to get
the gamey taste out of the meat,rinse and dry. This works for any meats especially goat and strong fish

You can add some Beef stock,Good Sherry or shots of Hennesey to improve the flavor, more garlic, salt and pepper to taste