How To Make Oxtails Like a Haitian, Part 2: Cook and Enjoy

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wg50czV3ip4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8Q9PC8xu2UI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
DSCN1548.JPG

blaze13

Star
Registered
This Haitian oxtail recipe isn't good? I have been looking for a good Jamaican recipe for Oxtails. Anyone got a good recipe for some Oxtails?

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This Haitian oxtail recipe isn't good?
:smh:No to many unnecessary steps,the lime and then pouring hot water to clean them after is borderline stupid.She adds seasoning and then puts them in the oven to cook?nooo way.To much fat left on them.
Jamaican Oxtails again from my experience are to fatty and to much grey-ish,tasteless gravy.too chewy.

Oxtails need to have the fat cut off or boiled off even the smaller peices.You have to boil for awhile to make them tender and then you can add your seasoning or gravy..ect,put in the oven for awhile or leave in the pot to make it all come together.Their best tasty after they've been cooked a day before,like a saturday evening made ready for sunday meal.

I have been looking for a good Jamaican recipe for Oxtails. Anyone got a good recipe for some Oxtails?
It's really not that hard....

tapdatass

Support BGOL
Registered
oxtails are very fatty, but thats what makes them taste so boooooomb

put them bitches in a crock pot..... cook reeeeaaalll slow, get real nice and tender.... onion bell pepper, etc

drool.gif

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
WOW, thank God he brought me into this world Jamaican, I would never eat it the way they prepared that food.

My wife is Trini and can cook her ass off, still would never clean, prep or season any meat, poultry or fish like that. Straight comedy...

But to each his own... I'll pass on them cooking that for me. And OxTail is the top of the food chain on my fav meals, curry goat is second.

3 Times

Star
Registered
So this recipe is bullshit??? Damn I would've tried it if their was a unanimous BGOL consensus.

Damian Stone

I saw a real UFO....
BGOL Investor
Oxtail is not a typical Haitian food.

I have never seen it served anywhere Haitian at all.

You better stick to the english islands recipes for this one...I asked my mom if she would put worchestwatever sauce in anything and she almost slapped me.

This video is very suspect.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
So this recipe is bullshit??? Damn I would've tried it if their was a unanimous BGOL consensus.

The way they made that is pretty much the same way it's seasoned in the South, which in taste probably is the same, I don't know.

Take the Brooklyn consensus... A lot of West Indians in Brooklyn have their own island's restaurants, but two dishes most west indians can't hold a candle to is OxTail and Curry Goat made by Jamaicans. It's not my opinion, just ask around...

And I am not holding this video to all Haitian cooking, never ate their food but I'm definitely not making food that way.

You better stick to the english islands recipes for this one...I asked my mom if she would put worchestwatever sauce in anything and she almost slapped me.

Exactly, Worcestershire sauce and Louisiana hot sauce, along with mixing Adobe and seasoned salt is comedy, they pretty much the same thing. That's like mixing Tony Chachere and Seasoned Salt, they are the same, just one is hotter.

Machete

Rising Star
Registered
fuck this recipe. I was skeptical about the hot sauce, but I stopped this bullshit when I saw that the recipe called for lawry's.

EDIT: Lawry's AND Adobo??????

This is bullshit.

badboyyawdie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How about like a Jamaican mon!!!

Wtf is that shit? Jamaicans make it better with butter beans

This Haitian oxtail recipe isn't good? I have been looking for a good Jamaican recipe for Oxtails. Anyone got a good recipe for some Oxtails?

doesnt look too appetizing to me

WOW, thank God he brought me into this world Jamaican, I would never eat it the way they prepared that food.

My wife is Trini and can cook her ass off, still would never clean, prep or season any meat, poultry or fish like that. Straight comedy...

But to each his own... I'll pass on them cooking that for me. And OxTail is the top of the food chain on my fav meals, curry goat is second.

Why not just make them like a Jamaican? Or better yet a African.

Nothing about that dish looks appealing.

:lol::lol::lol: Jamaicans do it the best!! Haitians batter stick to they griole, nobody makes it better.

peterpiper1978

Star
Registered
waiting.....:)

it was very good. the only changes i made was to add 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 1 bell pepper, i cut radish, celery salt, 1 tbs vinegar. also i cooked at 200 for 1 hour then 350 for 1.5 hours. i will post a pic soon. some were saying it isnt a good recipe, but it is very flavorful

peterpiper1978

Star
Registered
The way they made that is pretty much the same way it's seasoned in the South, which in taste probably is the same, I don't know.

Take the Brooklyn consensus... A lot of West Indians in Brooklyn have their own island's restaurants, but two dishes most west indians can't hold a candle to is OxTail and Curry Goat made by Jamaicans. It's not my opinion, just ask around...

And I am not holding this video to all Haitian cooking, never ate their food but I'm definitely not making food that way.

Exactly, Worcestershire sauce and Louisiana hot sauce, along with mixing Adobe and seasoned salt is comedy, they pretty much the same thing. That's like mixing Tony Chachere and Seasoned Salt, they are the same, just one is hotter.

nah, the ingredients in blue Goya season is garlic salt, oregano, and tumeric. It is far from being the 'same' as seasoned salt

peterpiper1978

Star
Registered

your mom prolly doesnt realize that worchestire sauce brings uot the flavor...especially in beef

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
nah, the ingredients in blue Goya season is garlic salt, oregano, and tumeric. It is far from being the 'same' as seasoned salt

Salt is SALT, that's what they both are. And cooking with Adobo? To each his own bro

your mom prolly doesnt realize that worchestire sauce brings uot the flavor...especially in beef

If you want to put that in your food then you're probably not west indian. But like I said to each his own

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
it was very good. the only changes i made was to add 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 1 bell pepper, i cut radish, celery salt, 1 tbs vinegar. also i cooked at 200 for 1 hour then 350 for 1.5 hours. i will post a pic soon. some were saying it isnt a good recipe, but it is very flavorful

ignore them and do your thing. and thanks.

peterpiper1978

Star
Registered
Salt is SALT, that's what they both are. And cooking with Adobo? To each his own bro

If you want to put that in your food then you're probably not west indian. But like I said to each his own

I am not west indian...never claimed to be. I didnt know that they were the only ones that can cook oxtails. The shit was good to me and my family. I never heard her say anything about adobo. If she did, i didnt hear it and didnt use it. and yes, salt is salt. that is prolly why she used a limited amount of table salt when she used the lawry's and Goya seasoning. She even said it in the video. She used the Goyo for the flavor of tumeric

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
I am not west indian...never claimed to be. I didnt know that they were the only ones that can cook oxtails. The shit was good to me and my family. I never heard her say anything about adobo. If she did, i didnt hear it and didnt use it. and yes, salt is salt. that is prolly why she used a limited amount of table salt when she used the lawry's and Goya seasoning. She even said it in the video. She used the Goyo for the flavor of tumeric

The Goya product she used is Adobo, it's main ingredient is Salt, then she used Lawry's Seasoned Salt, and then table salt. That's why I said it was comedy.

Not knocking any style of making ox tail, I've eaten american soul food style of stew Ox Tail, tastes good, pretty hard to fuck up ox tail but the shit I seen them cook it in this vid along with how they cleaned the meat and also left all that fat on the pieces is not the way I am accustomed to. Not the way I've seen my grandmother or my mom, or wife cook it for so many years. But hey, I guess they could all be wrong.

You will find that a majority of real cook food is prepped with fresh cut up seasonings as well.

peterpiper1978

Star
Registered
The Goya product she used is Adobo, it's main ingredient is Salt, then she used Lawry's Seasoned Salt, and then table salt. That's why I said it was comedy.

Not knocking any style of making ox tail, I've eaten american soul food style of stew Ox Tail, tastes good, pretty hard to fuck up ox tail but the shit I seen them cook it in this vid along with how they cleaned the meat and also left all that fat on the pieces is not the way I am accustomed to. Not the way I've seen my grandmother or my mom, or wife cook it for so many years. But hey, I guess they could all be wrong.

You will find that a majority of real cook food is prepped with fresh cut up seasonings as well.

i hear you. i trimmed most of the fat away. I thought you were talking about adobo sauce (peppers i the brown smoky liquid). i think she used the Adobo for the tumeric in it. that is why she said she didnt need to add more salt in the beginning. and yes, i prefer fresh herbs to cook with. But when you only have one day off work to chill and recoup (my case) who wants to chop thyme, parsley, and rosemary when i got the shit in my cabinet already.

but like i said, it was very good to me. the only thing i think she could have toned down was the amount of lime juice. they clean it with lime to get rid of any rank flavor and odor that may be on the meat