How Technology Hijacks People’s Minds — from a Magician and Google’s Design Ethicist
Estimated reading time: 12 minutes.

“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they’ve been fooled.” — Unknown.
I’m an expert on how technology hijacks our psychological vulnerabilities. That’s why I spent the last three years as a Design Ethicist at Google caring about how to design things in a way that defends a billion people’s minds from getting hijacked.

When using technology, we often focus optimistically on all the things it does for us. But I want to show you where it might do the opposite.

Where does technology exploit our minds’ weaknesses?

I learned to think this way when I was a magician. Magicians start by looking for blind spots, edges, vulnerabilities and limits of people’s perception, so they can influence what people do without them even realizing it. Once you know how to push people’s buttons, you can play them like a piano.

1*IG2MfhS05JjHryBHnXLXwA.png

That’s me performing sleight of hand magic at my mother’s birthday party
And this is exactly what product designers do to your mind. They play your psychological vulnerabilities (consciously and unconsciously) against you in the race to grab your attention.

I want to show you how they do it.

Hijack #1: If You Control the Menu, You Control the Choices

1*kW01thCZaWQyq0A08hSj5Q.png

Western Culture is built around ideals of individual choice and freedom. Millions of us fiercely defend our right to make “free” choices, while we ignore how those choices are manipulated upstream by menus we didn’t choose in the first place.

This is exactly what magicians do. They give people the illusion of free choice while architecting the menu so that they win, no matter what you choose. I can’t emphasize enough how deep this insight is.

When people are given a menu of choices, they rarely ask:

• “what’s not on the menu?”
  • “why am I being given these options and not others?”
  • “do I know the menu provider’s goals?”
  • “is this menu empowering for my original need, or are the choices actually a distraction?” (e.g. an overwhelmingly array of toothpastes)

1*-h0aCLf8EH5OxCIdMXERgA.jpeg

How empowering is this menu of choices for the need, “I ran out of toothpaste”?
For example, imagine you’re out with friends on a Tuesday night and want to keep the conversation going. You open Yelp to find nearby recommendations and see a list of bars. The group turns into a huddle of faces staring down at their phones comparing bars. They scrutinize the photos of each, comparing cocktail drinks. Is this menu still relevant to the original desire of the group?

It’s not that bars aren’t a good choice, it’s that Yelp substituted the group’s original question (“where can we go to keep talking?”) with a different question (“what’s a bar with good photos of cocktails?”) all by shaping the menu.

Moreover, the group falls for the illusion that Yelp’s menu represents a complete set of choices for where to go. While looking down at their phones, they don’t see the park across the street with a band playing live music. They miss the pop-up gallery on the other side of the street serving crepes and coffee. Neither of those show up on Yelp’s menu.

1*Ih_bIVQ12Ibu076252-bKA.png

Yelp subtly reframes the group’s need “where can we go to keep talking?” in terms of photos of cocktails served.
The more choices technology gives us in nearly every domain of our lives (information, events, places to go, friends, dating, jobs) — the more we assume that our phone is always the most empowering and useful menu to pick from. Is it?

The “most empowering” menu is different than the menu that has the most choices. But when we blindly surrender to the menus we’re given, it’s easy to lose track of the difference:

• “Who’s free tonight to hang out?” becomes a menu of most recent people who texted us (who we could ping).
  • “What’s happening in the world?” becomes a menu of news feed stories.
  • “Who’s single to go on a date?” becomes a menuof faces to swipe on Tinder (instead of local events with friends, or urban adventures nearby).
  • “I have to respond to this email.” becomes a menu of keys to type a response (instead of empowering ways to communicate with a person).

1*LsgYHAM-xhnkYGSkocOmew.png

All user interfaces are menus. What if your email client gave you empowering choices of ways to respond, instead of “what message do you want to type back?” (Design by Tristan Harris)
When we wake up in the morning and turn our phone over to see a list of notifications — it frames the experience of “waking up in the morning” around a menu of “all the things I’ve missed since yesterday.” (for more examples, see Joe Edelman’s Empowering Design talk)

1*iDMEQ0vQrx2ep_Z4G-mY1w.png

A list of notifications when we wake up in the morning — how empowering is this menu of choices when we wake up? Does it reflect what we care about? (from Joe Edelman’s Empowering Design Talk)
By shaping the menus we pick from, technology hijacks the way we perceive our choices and replaces them with new ones. But the closer we pay attention to the options we’re given, the more we’ll notice when they don’t actually align with our true needs.

Hijack #2: Put a Slot Machine In a Billion Pockets
If you’re an app, how do you keep people hooked? Turn yourself into a slot machine.

The average person checks their phone 150 times a day. Why do we do this? Are we making 150 conscious choices?

1*BNOfmUQ2nTRVPVe0CHx7ew.png

How often do you check your email per day?
One major reason why is the #1 psychological ingredient in slot machines: intermittent variable rewards.

If you want to maximize addictiveness, all tech designers need to do is link a user’s action (like pulling a lever) with a variable reward. You pull a lever and immediately receive either an enticing reward (a match, a prize!) or nothing. Addictiveness is maximized when the rate of reward is most variable.

Does this effect really work on people? Yes. Slot machines make more money in the United States than baseball, movies, and theme parks combined. Relative to other kinds of gambling, people get ‘problematically involved’ with slot machines 3–4x fasteraccording to NYU professor Natasha Dow Schull, author of Addiction by Design.

But here’s the unfortunate truth — several billion people have a slot machine their pocket:

• When we pull our phone out of our pocket, we’re playing a slot machine to see what notifications we got.
  • When we pull to refresh our email, we’re playing a slot machine to see what new email we got.
  • When we swipe down our finger to scroll the Instagram feed, we’re playing a slot machine to see what photo comes next.
  • When we swipe faces left/right on dating apps like Tinder, we’re playing a slot machine to see if we got a match.
  • When we tap the # of red notifications, we’re playing a slot machine to what’s underneath.

1*IoBUUcjfeAUnmY2ccu75Ww.png

Apps and websites sprinkle intermittent variable rewards all over their products because it’s good for business.

But in other cases, slot machines emerge by accident. For example, there is no malicious corporation behind all of email who consciously chose to make it a slot machine. No one profits when millions check their email and nothing’s there. Neither did Apple and Google’s designers want phones to work like slot machines. It emerged by accident.

But now companies like Apple and Google have a responsibility to reduce these effects by converting intermittent variable rewards into less addictive, more predictable ones with better design. For example, they could empower people to set predictable times during the day or week for when they want to check “slot machine” apps, and correspondingly adjust when new messages are delivered to align with those times.

Hijack #3: Fear of Missing Something Important (FOMSI)
Another way apps and websites hijack people’s minds is by inducing a “1% chance you could be missing something important.”

If I convince you that I’m a channel for important information, messages, friendships, or potential sexual opportunities — it will be hard for you to turn me off, unsubscribe, or remove your account — because (aha, I win) you might miss something important:

• This keeps us subscribed to newsletters even after they haven’t delivered recent benefits (“what if I miss a future announcement?”)
  • This keeps us “friended” to people with whom we haven’t spoke in ages (“what if I miss something important from them?”)
  • This keeps us swiping faces on dating apps, even when we haven’t even met up with anyone in a while (“what if I miss that one hot match who likes me?”)
  • This keeps us using social media (“what if I miss that important news story or fall behind what my friends are talking about?”)
But if we zoom into that fear, we’ll discover that it’s unbounded: we’ll always miss something important at any point when we stop using something.

• There are magic moments on Facebook we’ll miss by not using it for the 6th hour (e.g. an old friend who’s visiting town right now).
  • There are magic moments we’ll miss on Tinder (e.g. our dream romantic partner) by not swiping our 700th match.
  • There are emergency phone calls we’ll miss if we’re not connected 24/7.
But living moment to moment with the fear of missing something isn’t how we’re built to live.

And it’s amazing how quickly, once we let go of that fear, we wake up from the illusion. When we unplug for more than a day, unsubscribe from those notifications, or go to Camp Grounded — the concerns we thought we’d have don’t actually happen.

We don’t miss what we don’t see.

The thought, “what if I miss something important?” is generated in advance of unplugging, unsubscribing, or turning off — not after. Imagine if tech companies recognized that, and helped us proactively tune our relationships with friends and businesses in terms of what we define as “time well spent” for our lives, instead of in terms of what we might miss.

Hijack #4: Social Approval

1*qnyJGSiHouwhM_rhhvy_rA.png

Easily one of the most persuasive things a human being can receive.
We’re all vulnerable to social approval. The need to belong, to be approved or appreciated by our peers is among the highest human motivations. But now our social approval is in the hands of tech companies.

When I get tagged by my friend Marc, I imagine him making a conscious choice to tag me. But I don’t see how a company like Facebook orchestrated his doing that in the first place.

Facebook, Instagram or SnapChat can manipulate how often people get tagged in photos by automatically suggesting all the faces people should tag (e.g. by showing a box with a 1-click confirmation, “Tag Tristan in this photo?”).

So when Marc tags me, he’s actually responding to Facebook’s suggestion, not making an independent choice. But through design choices like this, Facebook controls the multiplier for how often millions of people experience their social approval on the line.

1*YkxjEeZ_CO0a2Gp9Awf_bQ.png

Facebook uses automatic suggestions like this to get people to tag more people, creating more social externalities and interruptions.
The same happens when we change our main profile photo — Facebook knows that’s a moment when we’re vulnerable to social approval: “what do my friends think of my new pic?” Facebook can rank this higher in the news feed, so it sticks around for longer and more friends will like or comment on it. Each time they like or comment on it, we’ll get pulled right back.

Everyone innately responds to social approval, but some demographics (teenagers) are more vulnerable to it than others. That’s why it’s so important to recognize how powerful designers are when they exploit this vulnerability.

1*7Gt5k-6sigW8e1QoLARuYg.png

Hijack #5: Social Reciprocity (Tit-for-tat)
  • You do me a favor — I owe you one next time.
  • You say, “thank you”— I have to say “you’re welcome.”
  • You send me an email— it’s rude not to get back to you.
  • You follow me — it’s rude not to follow you back. (especially for teenagers)
We are vulnerable to needing to reciprocate others’ gestures. But as with Social Approval, tech companies now manipulate how often we experience it.

In some cases, it’s by accident. Email, texting and messaging apps are social reciprocity factories. But in other cases, companies exploit this vulnerability on purpose.

LinkedIn is the most obvious offender. LinkedIn wants as many people creating social obligations for each other as possible, because each time they reciprocate (by accepting a connection, responding to a message, or endorsing someone back for a skill) they have to come back to linkedin.com where they can get people to spend more time.

Like Facebook, LinkedIn exploits an asymmetry in perception. When you receive an invitation from someone to connect, you imagine that person making a conscious choice to invite you, when in reality, they likely unconsciously responded to LinkedIn’s list of suggested contacts. In other words, LinkedIn turns your unconscious impulses (to “add” a person) into new social obligations that millions of people feel obligated to repay. All while they profit from the time people spend doing it.

1*B5ZVhb7eL7hyEcfS8m1onQ.png

Imagine millions of people getting interrupted like this throughout their day, running around like chickens with their heads cut off, reciprocating each other — all designed by companies who profit from it.

Welcome to social media.

1*GcrioynC_fnLRB4Vmu-X_g.png

After accepting an endorsement, LinkedIn takes advantage of your bias to reciprocate by offering *four* additional people for you to endorse in return.
Imagine if technology companies had a responsibility to minimize social reciprocity. Or if there was an independent organization that represented the public’s interests — an industry consortium or an FDA for tech — that monitored when technology companies abused these biases?

1*5wyghDrGzpUYxGZkZRzE_A.png

Hijack #6: Bottomless bowls, Infinite Feeds, and Autoplay

1*d_4O5k_1k9LLadu3HMmtXg.png

YouTube autoplays the next video after a countdown
Another way to hijack people is to keep them consuming things, even when they aren’t hungry anymore.

How? Easy. Take an experience that was bounded and finite, and turn it into a bottomless flow that keeps going.

Cornell professor Brian Wansink demonstrated this in his study showing you can trick people into keep eating soup by giving them a bottomless bowl that automatically refills as they eat. With bottomless bowls, people eat 73% more calories than those with normal bowls and underestimate how many calories they ate by 140 calories.

Tech companies exploit the same principle. News feeds are purposely designed to auto-refill with reasons to keep you scrolling, and purposely eliminate any reason for you to pause, reconsider or leave.

It’s also why video and social media sites like Netflix, YouTube or Facebook autoplay the next video after a countdown instead of waiting for you to make a conscious choice (in case you won’t). A huge portion of traffic on these websites is driven by autoplaying the next thing.

1*y2lmMCXN6papGONxwGDazA.png

1*l1rcapgZdtApL4rph3Sj3A.jpeg

Facebook autoplays the next video after a countdown
Tech companies often claim that “we’re just making it easier for users to see the video they want to watch” when they are actually serving their business interests. And you can’t blame them, because increasing “time spent” is the currency they compete for.

Instead, imagine if technology companies empowered you to consciously bound your experience to align with what would be “time well spent” for you. Not just bounding the quantity of time you spend, but the qualities of what would be “time well spent.”

Hijack #7: Instant Interruption vs. “Respectful” Delivery
Companies know that messages that interrupt people immediately are more persuasive at getting people to respond than messages delivered asynchronously (like email or any deferred inbox).

Given the choice, Facebook Messenger (or WhatsApp, WeChat or SnapChat for that matter) would prefer to design their messaging system to interrupt recipients immediately (and show a chat box) instead of helping users respect each other’s attention.

In other words, interruption is good for business.

It’s also in their interest to heighten the feeling of urgency and social reciprocity. For example, Facebook automatically tells the sender when you “saw” their message, instead of letting you avoid disclosing whether you read it (“now that you know I’ve seen the message, I feel even more obligated to respond.”)

By contrast, Apple more respectfully lets users toggle “Read Receipts” on or off.

The problem is, maximizing interruptions in the name of business creates a tragedy of the commons, ruining global attention spans and causing billions of unnecessary interruptions each day. This is a huge problem we need to fix with shared design standards (potentially, as part of Time Well Spent).

Hijack #8: Bundling Your Reasons with Their Reasons
Another way apps hijack you is by taking your reasons for visiting the app (to perform a task) and make them inseparable from the app’s business reasons (maximizing how much we consume once we’re there).

For example, in the physical world of grocery stores, the #1 and #2 most popular reasons to visit are pharmacy refills and buying milk. But grocery stores want to maximize how much people buy, so they put the pharmacy and the milk at the back of the store.

In other words, they make the thing customers want (milk, pharmacy) inseparable from what the business wants. If stores were truly organized to support people, they would put the most popular items in the front.

Tech companies design their websites the same way. For example, when you you want to look up a Facebook event happening tonight (your reason) the Facebook app doesn’t allow you to access it without first landing on the news feed (their reasons), and that’s on purpose. Facebook wants to convert every reason you have for using Facebook, into their reason which is to maximize the time you spend consuming things.

Instead, imagine if …

• Twitter gave you a separate way to post an Tweet than having to see their news feed.
  • Facebook gave a separate way to look up Facebook Events going on tonight, without being forced to use their news feed.
  • Facebook gave you a separate way to use Facebook Connect as a passport for creating new accounts on 3rd party apps and websites, without being forced to install Facebook’s entire app, news feed and notifications.
In a Time Well Spent world, there is always a direct way to get what you want separately from what businesses want. Imagine a digital “bill of rights” outlining design standards that forced the products used by billions of people to let them navigate directly to what they want without needing to go through intentionally placed distractions.

1*HkSOLmgs_RAiKbRMJt9HxA.png

Imagine if web browsers empowered you to navigate directly to what you want — especially for sites that intentionally detour you toward their reasons.
Hijack #9: Inconvenient Choices
We’re told that it’s enough for businesses to “make choices available.”

• “If you don’t like it you can always use a different product.”
  • “If you don’t like it, you can always unsubscribe.”
  • “If you’re addicted to our app, you can always uninstall it from your phone.”
Businesses naturally want to make the choices they want you to make easier, and the choices they don’t want you to make harder. Magicians do the same thing. You make it easier for a spectator to pick the thing you want them to pick, and harder to pick the thing you don’t.

For example, NYTimes.com lets you “make a free choice” to cancel your digital subscription. But instead of just doing it when you hit “Cancel Subscription,” they send you an email with information on how to cancel your account by calling a phone number that’s only open at certain times.

1*kSGi-JcMMGgwigs6VgFY2A.png

NYTimes claims it’s giving a free choice to cancel your account
Instead of viewing the world in terms of availability of choices, we should view the world in terms of friction required to enact choices. Imagine a world where choices were labeled with how difficult they were to fulfill (like coefficients of friction) and there was an independent entity — an industry consortium or non-profit — that labeled these difficulties and set standards for how easy navigation should be.

Hijack #10: Forecasting Errors, “Foot in the Door” strategies

1*vQ7yG7niPETreL7zjBuFkA.png

Facebook promises an easy choice to “See Photo.” Would we still click if it gave the true price tag?
Lastly, apps can exploit people’s inability to forecast the consequences of a click.

People don’t intuitively forecast the true cost of a click when it’s presented to them. Sales people use “foot in the door” techniques by asking for a small innocuous request to begin with (“just one click to see which tweet got retweeted”) and escalate from there (“why don’t you stay awhile?”). Virtually all engagement websites use this trick.

Imagine if web browsers and smartphones, the gateways through which people make these choices, were truly watching out for people and helped them forecast the consequences of clicks (based on real data about what benefits and costs it actually had?).

That’s why I add “Estimated reading time” to the top of my posts. When you put the “true cost” of a choice in front of people, you’re treating your users or audience with dignity and respect. In a Time Well Spent internet, choices could be framed in terms of projected cost and benefit, so people were empowered to make informed choices by default, not by doing extra work.

1*Xvo46OL3h2wDdb7S7AA1uQ.png

TripAdvisor uses a “foot in the door” technique by asking for a single click review (“How many stars?”) while hiding the three page survey of questions behind the click.
Summary And How We Can Fix This
Are you upset that technology hijacks your agency? I am too. I’ve listed a few techniques but there are literally thousands. Imagine whole bookshelves, seminars, workshops and trainings that teach aspiring tech entrepreneurs techniques like these. Imagine hundreds of engineers whose job every day is to invent new ways to keep you hooked.

The ultimate freedom is a free mind, and we need technology that’s on our team to help us live, feel, think and act freely.

We need our smartphones, notifications screens and web browsers to be exoskeletons for our minds and interpersonal relationships that put our values, not our impulses, first. People’s time is valuable. And we should protect it with the same rigor as privacy and other digital rights.

Tristan Harris was a Product Philosopher at Google until 2016 where he studied how technology affects a billion people’s attention, wellbeing and behavior. For more resources on Time Well Spent, see http://timewellspent.io.

UPDATE: The first version of this post lacked acknowledgements to those who inspired my thinking over many years including Joe Edelman, Aza Raskin, Raph D’Amico, Jonathan Harris and Damon Horowitz.

My thinking on menus and choicemaking are deeply rooted in Joe Edelman’s work on Human Values and Choicemaking.

TechBusinessPsychology

LINK

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
If your job is important to you like most people stop posting racist things online. People will screenshot,find out where you work, and your employer will fire you. You can state your opinion for or against something. Just keep the racist comments to yourself.

14448827_1162911630469678_2749104741422516766_n.jpg
14390961_1162911633803011_8552305034905994025_n.jpg
14485059_1162911660469675_5251439024195252815_n.jpg

Anthony Jameson The Charlotte Police Chief initially said the officers was specifically looking for a warrant suspect not Mr. Scott he wasn't doing anything criminal it was only when Mr. Scott jumped out the truck pointing a gun at his officers that cause them to shoo...See More
· Reply · 18 hrs

Penny Tawret
This is exactly why I am not; nor will I ever classify my nationality as American. African all the way to die and be reborn as.
Like · Reply · 2 · 19 hrs

LJ Joesph
Then they will create their own jobs away from the neoliberal economy and post all the hate they want... Thats potentially even worse and could create terrible echo chambers.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Jamie Kershaw
Shouldnt have been fired personal comments that are nothing to do with or about her employer . Well at least wouldnt in the uk.
Like · Reply · 19 hrs
2 Replies

Abraham Rivera
Not a racist but that's why people shouldn't post where they work at lol what business is it of anyone's

Hershal Walton
Now you go find a job, you blonde racist monkey!
1f602.png

Like · Reply · 2 · 18 hrs · Edited

Kirstin Cagle
People getting punished for showing their asses online brings joy into my sad little life

Like · Reply · 1 · 15 hrs

Shavon Blue
Good for her.
Like · Reply · 3 · 19 hrs

Tony Torres
Karma lol

Raheem Holmes
stupid idiot
Like · Reply · 19 hrs

Arvelle Whitaker
Aint this the truth
Like · Reply · 19 hrs

Angela Whitmore- Sisneroz
Bye Becky, oh, uh, I mean Katie Lynn....
Like · Reply · 17 hrs

Sheira Grice
All they're doing is hurting themselves.
Like · Reply · 19 hrs

Stephen M. Anthony
Now her ass gonna be on government assistance
Like · Reply · 16 hrs

Xzavier Campos
She got what was coming racist bitch.
Like · Reply · 19 hrs

Marvin Stpierre
Good for her
Like · Reply · 1 · 19 hrs

Glen Saxon
Idiot.
Like · Reply · 19 hrs

Darius Burse
Lol
Like · Reply · 19 hrs

Jason Collett
And she was in social services and public relations. Sad.

Like · Reply · 19 hrs

Shannon Shepard

Like · Reply · 17 hrs
Write a comment...

LINK

http://www.peakhealthadvocate.com/7...PKHL&ct=20160908&cc=eletter&num=01&en=1574538

How to Sleep if You Want to Avoid Alzheimer’s

Study suggests side sleeping helps the brain remove the most toxins
September 7, 2016 | By Mary West
This article originally appeared on Live in the Now.

Chances are your sleeping posture is something you think very little about. But a study published in The Journal of Neuroscience finds there’s one in particular that may be better than the rest for decreasing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

As we’ve reported in the past, when you sleep, the brain is diligently involved in removing toxins that accumulate during the day. This function is vitally important because the buildup of harmful chemicals can lead to Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. In fact, the link between brain toxins and neurodegenerative illness is so strong that such disorders have been called “dirty brain diseases.”

Now, the latest discovery linking certain sleep habits to brain health has found that sleeping on your side may be better than sleeping on your back or stomach, because it helps the brain remove damaging wastes more effectively.

While the lymphatic system cleans away toxins from the rest of the body, the brain has its separate system of waste removal. It is the glymphatic pathway, a network of piping surrounding the blood vessels, which propels the cleansing agent of the cerebrospinal fluid forcefully through the brain. The process works similarly to the lymphatic system. It is critical for brain health, as some of the toxins are proteins that produce the buildup of amyloid plaque — the hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease.

In the experiment at Stony Brook University, researchers anesthetized rodents and then used MRIs and computer modeling to measure the effectiveness of the brain’s filtration system. After putting the rodents in the positions of lying on their side, back and stomach, side lying proved to be the most conducive for removing toxins.

“It is interesting that the lateral sleep position is already the most popular in human and most animals — even in the wild — and it appears that we have adapted the lateral sleep position to most efficiently clear our brain of the metabolic waste products that built up while we are awake,” said researcher Dr. Maiken Nedergaard. “The study therefore adds further support to the concept that sleep subserves a distinct biological function of sleep and that is to ‘clean up’ the mess that accumulates while we are awake. Many types of dementia are linked to sleep disturbances, including difficulties in falling asleep. It is increasing acknowledged that these sleep disturbances may accelerate memory loss in Alzheimer’s disease. Our finding brings new insight into this topic by showing it is also important what position you sleep in,” she explained.

Tips for a Good Night’s Sleep
Regardless of your sleeping position, optimal shuteye is essential for health. Research shows poor sleep increases the risk of heart attack and stroke, as well as accelerates the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.

Noted natural health practitioner Dr. Joseph Mercola provides the following tips for good sleep.

• Get bright sunlight exposure regularly, especially in the morning.
  • Set your thermostat at a cool temperature, and make sure your bedroom is as dark as possible.
  • Avoid watching TV or using the computer at least one hour before retiring.
  • Turn off your wireless router before you go to bed because the electromagnetic radiation can disrupt you melatonin production, which can interfere with sleep

link

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.c...rial-waste-fuelling-rise-superbugs-worldwide/

Polluted water flowing into Isnapur Lake, India. Photo via Nordea Asset Management/Changing Markets

Polluted water flowing into Isnapur Lake, India. Photo via Nordea Asset Management/Changing Markets
Pharmaceutical companies are fuelling the rise of superbugs by manufacturing drugs in factories that leak industrial waste, says a new report which calls on them to radically improve their supply chains.

Factories in China and India – where the majority of the world’s antibiotics are produced – are releasing untreated waste fluid containing active ingredients into surrounding areas, highlights the report by a coalition of environmental and public health organisations.

Ingredients used in antibiotics get into the local soil and water systems, leading to bacteria in the environment becoming resistant to the drugs. They are able to exchange genetic material with other nearby germs, spreading antibiotic resistance around the world, the report claims.

Ahead of a United Nations summit on antimicrobial resistance in New York next week, the report – by the European Public Health Alliance (EPHA) and pressure group Changing Markets – calls on major drug companies to tackle the pollution which is one of its root causes.

They say the industry is ignoring the pollution in its supply chain while it drives the proliferation of drug resistant bacteria – a phenomenon which kills an estimated 25,000 people across Europe and globally poses “as big a threat as terrorism,” according to NHS England’s Chief Medical Officer Dame Sally Davies.

If no action is taken antimicrobial resistance (AMR) will kill 10 million people worldwide every year – more than cancer – according to an independent review into AMR last year led by economist Professor Jim O’Neill.

Changing Markets compiled previous detailed reports and conducted its own on-the-ground research looking at a range of Chinese and Indian drug manufacturing plants making products for some of the world’s biggest pharmaceutical companies. One of the world’s biggest antibiotic production plants, in Inner Mongolia, was found in 2014 to be “pumping tonnes of toxic and antibiotic-rich effluent waste into the fields and waterways surrounding the factory,” according to Chinese state television.

In India, where much of the raw material produced by Chinese factories is turned into finished drugs, various studies have found “high levels of hazardous waste” and “large volumes of effluent waste” being dumped into the environment. About a quarter of UK medicines are made in India.

The factory pollution mixes with waste from farms and sewage plants, providing an ideal breeding ground for the drug-resistant bacteria. Once established in the environment, the germs can spread around the world through air and water, and by travellers visiting countries where the bacteria are prevalent.

A drug-resistant bacteria first found in India in 2014 has since been found in more than 70 countries around the world, the report highlights.

Most major drug companies display a “shocking lack of concern” about pollution in their supply chains, Changing Markets claims. It is calling for companies that fail to demand environmentally sound manufacturing and waste treatment techniques from their suppliers to be blacklisted.

Large purchasers of medicines, including health services, hospitals and pharmacies should push for cleaner production processes, it adds.

Natasha Hurley, a spokeswoman for Changing Markets, said: “Big Pharma’s role in fuelling drug resistance is all too often overlooked when policies to curb the spread of AMR are being discussed.

“Our research has shown that the industry is failing to take the necessary action to address the threat of a looming environmental and public health crisis in which it is playing a key part.”

Modern medical systems rely on antibiotics to prevent people becoming ill with bacterial infections.

The drugs also prevent infection during surgery and treatments like chemotherapy, which can wipe out the body’s immune system.

As the bugs become resistant to the drugs used to treat them, experts fear more people will die of infections – and common medical procedures will become high risk.

Next week global leaders will meet for a United Nations conference in New York to discuss the growing problem of AMR.

Resistance is fuelled by the overuse of antibiotics in farming as well as in human medicine, a topic the Bureau of Investigative Journalism has been researching for more than six months.

Earlier this year, the Bureau analysed figures released by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate, which regulates what drugs vets prescribe for use in British farming and agriculture, and revealed a significant increase in sales of some critically important antibiotics.

A “critically important” antibiotic is one which is either the sole treatment option or one of few alternatives for a serious infectious disease in humans.

They also treat diseases humans can catch from non-human sources such as animals, water, food or the environment, including some drug-resistant diseases.

The rise in sales of critically important antibiotics is happening despite the fact it is now known that resistant forms of certain food poisoning illnesses, including campylobacter, and some variations of the superbug MRSA, are directly linked to antibiotic use on farms.

In April, the Bureau revealed growing levels of resistance among campylobacter bacteria, which is commonly found in supermarket chickens. The bug infects up to 300,000 people in the UK each year, hospitalising about 1,000 and killing about 100.

Previously unpublished data collated by Public Health England showed almost one in two of all human campylobacter cases tested in England was resistant to the antibiotic ciprofloxacin.

Ciprofloxacin is one of several drugs doctors can turn to when victims of food poisoning develop complications, and is also used to treat other conditions such as urinary tract infections.

Responding the EPHA and Changing Markets’ report, Emma Rose from the campaign group the Alliance to Save our Antibiotics said: “Today’s briefing casts light on how big polluting factories are fueling the emergence of drug resistant bacteria.

“With prescribers of both human and veterinary medicine increasingly urged to take action on antibiotics, the pharmaceutical industry must now play its part in tackling this crisis.”

Follow the Bureau’s drug resistance updates on Twitter: @TBIJAntibiotics

Follow Madlen Davies on Twitter:@madlendavies

Photo via Nordea Asset Management/Changing Markets

Related stories

www.naturalnews.com

NaturalNews) Our bodies constantly absorb from and communicate with our surroundings; they are not separate from the environment. The largest organ of the body, the skin, is a porous, absorbent network of glands that is always feeling and interacting with external elements.

We often take for granted the exocrine system of the human body, a network of external glands. However, the exocrine system is the first line of defense for our bodies to fight pathogens. One of the problems with pathogen-injection-ideology (vaccines) is that they bypass the exocrine system, retraining human exposure to pathogens, inevitably weakening the body's first response.

Our skins absorb the chemicals we apply
This absorbent exocrine system is also an entryway for chemicals to make their way into the bloodstream. With more than 10,000 man-made chemicals lurking in personal care products, our skin has become an experimental dumping ground. The average person is taking in more toxic chemicals from their environment than ever before – and 90 percent of these have never been tested for safety. The chemical compounds that have been studied cause birth defects, genetic mutation and cancer.

We often apply these cancer causing products directly to the skin, with little regard for how they affect our short- and long-term health. The good news is that healthy alternatives do exist.

The 10 common cosmetic products that are poisoning you
Soaps: Popular antibacterial soap ingredient triclosan is linked to cancer and thyroid problems, and has estrogenic and androgenic effects on human breast cancer cells. Additionally, surfactants such as sodium lauryl sulfate cause skin allergies. For chemical free versions, check out this line of pure hand and body soaps from the Health Ranger Store.

Deodorant: The petroleum byproducts and parabens used in deodorant adversely affect the endocrine system of the body. Even worse, the active ingredient in antiperspirants is a neurotoxin: aluminum. By blocking the pores, antiperspirants also restrict the natural processes of the sweat glands, trapping toxins in the body. Chemical-free deodorants work by neutralizing the odor at the source, killing the bacteria that causes it.

Lipstick: If it's so important to remove brain-damaging lead from fuel and paint, then why do we openly accept this toxic element on our lips and in our mouths? It has been proved that the average woman in an industrial society will slowly eat seven pounds of lipstick during her lifetime. How much lead, tar, formaldehyde and petroleum distillates is she poisoning her body with while she does so?

Mascara: These products are often loaded with aluminum, retinyl acetate, toxic polymers, petrolatum and fragrances that mess with one's hormones.

Toothpaste: The synthetic dyes, neurotoxic saccharin, fluorides and sodium lauryl sulfate that make up most commercial toothpastes only poison the body by suppressing glands, causing cancer in the cells. For better results, try the Health Ranger's ozone infused coconut oil pulling solution, or the new Toothsalt with Neem.

Skin lightening cremes: Often used to treat hyper pigmentation, these products are typically loaded with mercury, which is toxic to cells.

Sunscreen: Cheap, chemical-based sunscreens are a cocktail of hormone-disrupting chemicals that make their way into the bloodstream and damage the metabolism and the reproductive system. The Environmental Working Group warns about the health problems associated with oxybenzone, octinoxate, homosalate, octisalate, octocrylene and avobenzone. For an alternative that works, switch to a zinc-based, botanical SPF formula.

Acne treatments: Benzoyl peroxide, commonly found in acne treatments, is linked to skin tumor activity, as observed in this important study.

Hairspray: These products actually cause lung damage. First symptoms of hairspray poisoning include blurred vision, breathing difficulty, burning eyes and pain in the throat.The formaldehyde, propylene glycol and phthalate content, combined with shellac and denatured alcohol, are a quick recipe for cancer.

Moisturizers: The chemicals formulated into moisturizers are often derived from coal tar, and contain arsenic. Once absorbed, these distort normal cellular functions, and have been linked to skin cancer. For better results and safety, try a plant based moisturizer formula or use coconut oil instead.

Sources include:

HealthyFoodHouse.com

EWG.org

DifferenceBetween.com

EWG.org

NaturalNews.com

NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov

NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov

MedlinePlus.gov .Social { display: table; width: 100%; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 15px 0px; clear: both; } .SocialButtons { display: table-cell; vertical-align: middle; text-align: left; }.BtnFacebook, .BtnTwitter, .BtnGoogle, .BtnAdd2Any, .BtnEmail, .BtnPrint, .BtnDelicious, .BtnDiaspora { display: inline-block; float: left; min-width: 30px; height: 30px; margin: 0px 1px 0px 0px; cursor: pointer; } .BtnFacebook { background-color: #29447E; } .BtnTwitter { background-color: #00ACEE; } .BtnGoogle { background-color: #cd3c28; }.BtnDiaspora { background-color: #FF6633; } .BtnAdd2Any, .BtnEmail, .BtnPrint, .BtnDelicious { background-color: #3274D1; }.BtnFacebook div:nth-child(1), .BtnTwitter div:nth-child(1), .BtnGoogle div:nth-child(1), .BtnAdd2Any div:nth-child(1) { display: inline-block; float: left; width: 30px; height: 30px; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: center center; } .BtnFacebook div:nth-child(2), .BtnTwitter div:nth-child(2), .BtnGoogle div:nth-child(2), .BtnAdd2Any div:nth-child(2) { display: none; float: left; padding: 9px 10px 0px 5px; width: auto; font-family: arial, helvetica, san-serif; font-weight: bold; color: #FFFFFF; font-size: 12px; line-height: 12px; } @media (min-width: 767px) { .BtnFacebook, .BtnTwitter, .BtnGoogle, .BtnAdd2Any { width: auto; margin: 0px 1px 5px 0px; } .BtnFacebook div:nth-child(2), .BtnTwitter div:nth-child(2), .BtnGoogle div:nth-child(2), .BtnAdd2Any div:nth-child(2) { display: inline-block; }}
Facebook (891)
Twitter

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/055421_personal_care_products_cancer_causing_chemicals_skin.html#ixzz4LOS9jdj0

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
5 killed in 52 hours in Birmingham/Jefferson County, Alabama
Police Chief: "Black lives must mean more to black people"

upload_2016-9-26_15-59-55.png

Al.com
September 26, 2016

A violent weekend in Jefferson County left five people dead in just over 48 hours, including a 4-year-old boy playing outside who got caught in the crossfire of an argument over a cell phone.

Three people were shot to death Friday: two in a shootout at a Fairfield gas station, and another inside a downtown Birmingham motel. On Sunday afternoon, the little boy was shot in Birmingham's Ensley community and then, just hours later, a 28-year-old man was killed in the Marks Village public housing community in Gate city.

"Across the nation and in our own metro area, too many of our urban communities are challenged with senseless gun violence,'' Birmingham police Chief A.C. Roper told AL.com Sunday night. "Quite too often our young men of color are pulling a trigger to solve the most basic disagreement where they not only destroy their own lives, but their families and communities."

"These are not random crimes and at some point, black lives must mean more to black people,'' Roper said. "We understand the socio-economic factors that exist, but there is no excuse for this type of recklessness. We should all be saddened and troubled when a 4-year-old loses his life because adults can't solve a simple issue without resorting to violence."​

The Jefferson County Coroner's Office this morning released the identities of the five victims killed since Friday: Hason Amin Alford, 30; Darryl Dewayne Grace, 26; Mandel Hardy Lawson Jr., 21; Rodriquez Ferguson, 4; and Cordarrell Caldwell, 28.

Alford was found by housekeeping at the Kings Inn on Third Avenue North. Officers were dispatched to the motel at 11:05 a.m. Police found the victim lying on the floor of the room.

Officers were told that gunshots could be heard at the location prior to officers' arrival to the scene. Police have not announced any arrests in the case. Alford was from North Carolina.

"This was a tragic end to a life,'' Birmingham police Sgt. Bryan Shelton said. "The key for us is to figure out the nature of the victim's relationship to the suspect prior to the shooting."

Less than three hours later, Darryl Dewayne Grace and Mandel Hardy Lawson Jr., were were killed in a shootout with each other at a Fairfield gas station. The gunfire erupted about 1:30 p.m. at the Chevron on Lloyd Nolan Parkway. Witnesses and police said multiple shots were fired between the two men at the gas pumps at the service station.

Grace, of Calera, fled the scene in a vehicle, but made it less than a mile before he crashed into two light poles and came to a stop in the middle of the road, one of those poles still beneath his car. He was pronounced dead on the scene at 1:35 p.m.

-cee1e5d17780158f.jpg

Lawson, of Bessemer, was treated by paramedics at the Chevron and then taken to UAB Hospital by a rescue truck. He was unresponsive when he left the scene, and pronounced dead at 2:20 p.m.

Fairfield police Chief Nick Dyer said Grace's girlfriend was with Grace when the shooting started, but said Grace pushed her out of the vehicle before he fled the gas station scene.

"We're trying to determine what started the argument but the (girlfriend) doesn't have a true reason,'' he said.

Friday's double homicide in Fairfield brought the number of slayings in that city this year to five. There were four homicides in Fairfield in 2015.

On Sunday afternoon, about 2:30 p.m., Birmingham police responded to the 1600 block of 31st Street Ensley on a report of a child shot. Rodriquez Ferguson was taken to Children's Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 3:45 p.m.

Shelton said the preliminary investigation shows that those involved with the shooting knew each other. The suspect went to a home and confronted some adults about a cell phone that both parties' kids were arguing over, he said. Both parties began shooting and Rodriquez was struck during the exchange of gunfire.

Coroner's officials said Rodriquez didn't live where the shooting happened, but did live several streets away. The suspect fled the scene. Police have not announced any arrests.

"How many life moments in this child's life were lost tonight?" Shelton said. "You can't count the number. Birthdays, graduations, first this or that, none will be seen by this mother or the family. Precious moments lost over a cellphone. You can't make sense of that."

A short time later, about 4:45 p.m., Birmingham police responded to a scene on Joppa Court and Georgia Road. Two men were arguing when the suspect shot the victim, Shelton said. Cordarrell Caldwell, of Birmingham, died en route to the hospital. The suspect was not in custody and police did not give a description of the person or of the vehicle he fled in.

Shelton said neither the suspect nor Caldwell had been seen in the area prior to Sunday. Both, he said, were unknown to Marks Village residents. "With both parties being unknown to residents, a key part for the investigation is discovering what the relationship was between the two individuals, and why they were in the neighborhood,'' Shelton said.

In additional to the fatal shootings, a teen was wounded Friday night when an argument erupted outside of McDonald's in Hueytown following a high school football game. That victim is recovering and a Hueytown High School student is charged as a juvenile with first-degree assault.

On Sunday, a teenager was shot in the Avondale neighborhood on Second Avenue South and 43rd Street. Police said the teen's injuries weren't life-threatening.

The weekend slayings bring the total number of homicides in Birmingham to 75. Of those, at least six have been ruled justifiable and therefore aren't deemed criminal. Two others were officer-involved shootings by outside police agencies: The Shelby County Sheriff's Office and the Irondale Police Department.

Birmingham ended 2015 with 92 homicides, a 55 percent increase over 2014, making 2015 the city's deadliest year since 2008. Of the 92 Birmingham deaths ruled homicides by the Jefferson County Coroner's Office, two were considered accidental by Birmingham police and 10 others were ruled justifiable.

There were 59 homicides in Birmingham in 2014, just short of tying 2011 for the fewest killing since 1966, a year in which 56 people were victims of homicides. The city's highest homicide tally in recent history was 141 in 1991.

In all of Jefferson County, there have been 110 homicides this year. In 2015, there were 143 slayings countywide, up from 88 in 2014.

"We need to sit with our families and decide what's important,'' Shelton said. "When you feel a life is worth a cell phone, that shows a lack of hope for yourself and your community."

"The problems we have didn't start over night and won't be fixed that fast either,'' he said. "As police we will continue to work hard on our part but families, fathers, cousins need to work on their part. With homicides, total strangers being involved is rare."

SOURCE: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2016/09/5_dead_in_52_hours_in_jeffco_b.html#incart_2box

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-26_16-0-40.png
    upload_2016-9-26_16-0-40.png
    502.1 KB · Views: 1

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I dont trust any news coming out of some

got damn redneck mafia infested birmingham alabama..

love my people out there and alabama has some beautiful sections..

but I dont trust nothing coming out of that place regarding melanin rich people..

as far as Im concerned the kkk set all that shit up..

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just a new twist on "what about black on black crime".

How many of those were domestic incidents?
How many of those were where the victim and assailant knew each other?
How many of those where street crime?

What was the economic conditions of the. Victim/assailants? We're they employed? Underemployed? Any mental health issues at play?

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Trust or not. Those are, I believe, "COMPELLING WORDS" from Birmingham's "Black" Chief of Police.

That nigga can go to hell. All the perpetrators will be rounded up in a week and convicted for their crimes. Justice served. Meanwhile unarmed black men shot by police are just as dead, but the perpetrators will never see the inside of a jail cell. In fact they will be given free reign to kill some more. That's the difference.

Just a new twist on "what about black on black crime".

How many of those were domestic incidents?
How many of those were where the victim and assailant knew each other?
How many of those where street crime?

What was the economic conditions of the. Victim/assailants? We're they employed? Underemployed? Any mental health issues at play?

The point is the killings , shootings in the community, round the way, up the street or what ever phrase you feel comfortable using needs to stop. Many need to stop trying to put cologne or glade spray on rotting trash and clean things up.

Last edited:
SWEDEN IN CHAOS: Number of ‘no-go zones’ INCREASED as police lose control over violence
SWEDISH police are losing the battle against increasing levels crime and violence in the country as now 55 areas have been labelled as "no-go" zones.
By Lizzie Stromme
PUBLISHED: 02:00, Thu, Sep 22, 2016 | UPDATED: 13:08, Fri, Sep 23, 2016
fb.png

tw.png

g-plus.png

m.png

sh.png

c.png

LINK

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/713032/Sweden-chaos-no-go-zones-increased-police-lose-control

In February Express.co.uk reported the Scandinavian country has seen a huge surge in crime since the start of the migrants crisis in Europe with a rise in sex assaults, drug dealing and children carrying weapons.

The force’s increased lack of control in the country was revealed in a report by Sweden's National Criminal Investigation Service, where attacks on officers were detailed, including police cars being stoned by masked groups.

At the time around 50 areas were put on a "blacklist" which are then divided into three categories from "risk areas" to "seriously vulnerable".

Sweden-713032.jpg
GETTY

Swedish police are losing the battle against increasing levels crime and violence in the country
Related articles
The figure has now been increased to 55 as the Swedish police force are facing a crisis, with three officers handing in their notice every day.

It is estimated that 80 per cent of the police officers are also considering changing professions, due to lack of funding and support to tackle the increasing levels of crime.

Speaking to NRK, police officer Peter Larsson said: “We have a major crisis. Many colleagues are choosing to quit.

Sweden-660563.jpg

We are not investigating crimes, we don’t have time to cover the call-outs we are tasked with.

“A drastically worsened working environment means many colleagues are now looking for other work.”

A regular shift for the Swedish force includes being attacked by thugs who throw stones at the officers and their patrol cars, vehicles being set ablaze, and in some cases personal injuries.

Biggest protests in history
Mon, April 18, 2016
Taking a look at some of the biggest protests in history, some of which are still on-going.
twitter.png

facebook.png

google.png

pinterest.png

113506.jpg

Getty
1 of 17
Biggest protests, revolts and civil wars in history

CLOSE

A new report released last week revealed the situation in the country has worsened since the National Criminal Investigation Service’s document emerged in February.

A report entitled 'A national overview of criminal networks with major impact in the local community' said it was common place for unattended police cars to be attacked, for police officers to be attacked and to be exposed to threats.

It added drug and gang violence are still flourishing in the no-go zones.

Sweden-660562.jpg
YOUTUBE

Three officers are handing in their notice every day as the crisis deepens
Malmö in south Sweden was one of the cities which was flagged as a particularly hit area in the liberal country.

Over the past three months, Malmö, which is Sweden’s third largest city, has suffered a surge of organised crime as more than 70 cars have burned out in arsonist attacks.

Several other Swedish cities have also been plagued by thugs setting cars ablaze, according to local media.

Related articles

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...iness-bottled-water-went-mad?CMP=share_btn_tw

link

The dress code of the clientele in Planet Organic, Notting Hill is gym chic. On a hot day in mid-August, the men wore mid-thigh shorts, pectoral-enhancing vests, neon Nikes; the women were in black leggings and intricate ensembles of sports bras and cross-strapped Lycra. They had all either just worked out, were about to work out, or wanted to look as if working out was a constant possibility.

They examined the shelves. As well as the usual selection of kale crackers and paleo egg protein boosters, there were promises of wizardry, such as a packet of Alchemy Organic Super Blend Energy Elixir (£40 for 300g of powder). But never mind the food. Life, in 2016, is liquid. Opposite a display of untouched pastries and assorted bread products (who, in Planet Organic in Notting Hill, still eats bread?), were the waters.

There was Life, Volvic, Ugly, Sibberi (birch or maple), Plenish, What A Melon watermelon water, Vita Coco, Coco Pro, Coco Zumi, Chi 100% Pure Coconut Water, Rebel Kitchen Coconut Water and coconut water straight from the nut (“you have to make the hole yourself”, explained a shop assistant). Also: an electrolyte-enhanced water pledging to hydrate you with 40% less fluid than ordinary water (Overly Fitness), a birch water offering “a natural source of anti-oxidising manganese” (Tapped) and an alternative birch water promising to “eliminate cellulite” (Buddha). There was also a “water bar” – a tap in the corner of the shop – that, according to the large sign hanging from the ceiling, offered, for free, the “cleanest drinking water on the planet”, thanks to a four-stage process conducted by a “reverse osmosis deionising water filter”.

Planet Organic’s display was impressive, but only hinted at the full range of waters available to the hydration-conscious consumer. Right now, the global bottled water industry is in one of those strange and energetic boom phases where every week, it seems, a new product finds its way on to the shelves. Not just another bland still or sparkling, but some entirely new definition of the element. It is a case of capitalism at its most hyperactive and brazenly inventive: take a freely available substance, dress it up in countless different costumes and then sell it as something new and capable of transforming body, mind, soul. Water is no longer simply water – it has become a commercial blank slate, a word on to which any possible ingredient or fantastical, life-enhancing promise can be attached.

And it’s working. Over the past two decades, bottled water has become the fastest-growing drinks market in the world. The global market was valued at $157bn in 2013, and is expected to reach $280bn by 2020. Last year, in the UK alone, consumption of water drinks grew by 8.2%, equating to a retail value of more than £2.5bn. Sales of water are 100 times higher than in 1980. Of water: a substance that, in developed countries, can be drunk for free from a tap without fear of contracting cholera. What is going on?

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
‘Rumours circulated of Madonna bathing in bottled water, and Jack Nicholson was photographed brandishing a bottle of Evian at the Oscars as if it were Cristal.’ Photograph: Larry Washburn/Getty Images/fStop
For a substance that falls out of the sky and springs from the earth of its own accord, water has always had an extraordinary commercial lure. According to James Salzman, the author of Drinking Water: A History, monks at holy wells produced special water flasks for pilgrims to take away as proof of their visit – a medieval example of the power of branding. For centuries, wealthy Europeans travelled to spa towns to sample the water in a bid to cure specific ailments. The spa visit was a signal of health, but also of status: somewhere to be seen, an association of liquid and individual that broadcasted social elevation – a distant precursor to Kim Kardashian clutching a bottle of Fiji, if you like. In 1740, the first commercial British bottled water was launched in Harrogate. By 1914 Harrogate Spring was, according to its website, the largest exporter of bottled water in the country, “proudly keeping the troops hydrated from England to Bombay”.

In the early 20th century, however, a water revolution nearly killed the nascent business. After early attempts in Germany and Belgium to chlorinate municipal drinking water, a typhoid epidemic in Lincoln in 1905 prompted the public health crusader Alexander Cruickshank Houston to try out the first extended chlorination of a public water supply. His experiment worked, and soon, chlorination of municipal water had spread around the world. In 1908, Jersey City became the first US city to use full-scale water chlorination, and the practice quickly spread across the country.

The bottled water industry almost collapsed as a result. In the past, buying clean water had been a necessity for the rich (the poor simply endured centuries of bad drinking water, and often died from the experience). Now it was freely available to all. Why would you continue to spend money on something that now came, miraculously, out of a tap in your kitchen?

The answer arrived in 1977, in the form of what must be one of history’s greatest pieces of television advertising narration. “Deep below the plains of southern France,” rumbled Orson Welles in a voice that sounded as if it were bubbling up from some unreachable subterranean cave, “in a mysterious process begun millions of years ago, Nature herself adds life to the icy waters of a single spring: Perrier.” As viewers watched the water descend into a glass, and admired the glistening green bottle, marketing history was made. The advert was part of a $5m campaign across America – the largest ever for a bottled water – and proved a major success. From 1975 to 1978, Perrier sales in the US increased from 2.5m bottles to more than 75m bottles.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...bias-working-class-americans?CMP=share_btn_tw

Last March, my 71-year-old grandmother, Betty, waited in line for three hours to caucus for Bernie Sanders. The wait to be able to cast her first-ever vote in a primary election was punishing, but nothing could have deterred her. Betty – a white woman who left school after ninth grade, had her first child at age 16 and spent much of her life in severe poverty – wanted to vote.

So she waited with busted knees that once stood on factory lines. She waited with smoking-induced emphysema and the false teeth she’s had since her late 20s – both markers of our class. She waited with a womb that in the 1960s, before Roe v Wade, she paid a stranger to thrust a wire hanger inside after she discovered she was pregnant by a man she’d fled after he broke her jaw.

Betty worked for many years as a probation officer for the state judicial system in Wichita, Kansas, keeping tabs on men who had murdered and raped. As a result, it’s hard to faze her, but she has pronounced Republican candidate Donald Trump a sociopath “whose mouth overloads his ass”.

No one loathes Trump – who suggested women should be punished for having abortions, who said hateful things about groups of people she has loved and worked alongside since childhood, whose pomp and indecency offends her modest, midwestern sensibility – more than she.

Yet, it is white working-class people like Betty who have become a particular fixation among the chattering class during this election: what is this angry beast, and why does it support Trump?

Not so poor: Trump voters are middle class
Hard numbers complicate, if not roundly dismiss, the oft-regurgitated theory that income or education levels predict Trump support, or that working-class whites support him disproportionately. Last month, results of 87,000 interviews conducted by Gallup showed that those who liked Trump were under no more economic distress or immigration-related anxiety than those who opposed him.

on the wings of moral superiority affluent Americans often pin upon themselves.

I have never seen them flap so insistently as in today’s election commentary, where notions of poor whiteness and poor character are routinely conflated.

In an election piece last March in the National Review, writer Kevin Williamson’s assessment of poor white voters – among whom mortality rates have sharply risen in recent decades – expressed what many conservatives and liberals alike may well believe when he observed that communities ravaged by oxycodone use “deserve to die”.

“The white American underclass is in thrall to a vicious, selfish culture whose main products are misery and used heroin needles,” Williamson wrote. “Donald Trump’s speeches make them feel good. So does OxyContin.”

For confirmation that this point is lost on most reporters, not just conservative provocateurs, look no further than a recent Washington Post series that explored spiking death rates among rural white women by fixating on their smoking habits and graphically detailing the “haggard face” and embalming processes of their corpses. Imagine wealthy white woman examined thusly after their deaths. The outrage among family and friends with the education, time, and agency to write letters to the editor would have been deafening.

A sentiment that I care for even less than contempt or degradation is their tender cousin: pity.

In a recent op-ed headlined Dignity and Sadness in the Working Class, David Brooks told of a laid-off Kentucky metal worker he met. On his last day, the man left to rows of cheering coworkers – a moment I read as triumphant, but that Brooks declared pitiable. How hard the man worked for so little, how great his skills and how dwindling their value, Brooks pointed out, for people he said radiate “the residual sadness of the lonely heart”.

I’m hard-pressed to think of a worse slight than the media figures who have disregarded the embattled white working class for decades now beseeching the country to have sympathy for them. We don’t need their analysis, and we sure don’t need their tears. What we need is to have our stories told, preferably by someone who can walk into a factory without his own guilt fogging his glasses.

One such journalist, Alexander Zaitchik, spent several months on the road in six states getting to know white working-class people who do support Trump. His goal for the resulting new book, The Gilded Rage, was to convey the human complexity that daily news misses. Zaitchik wrote that his mission arose from frustration with “‘hot takes’ written by people living several time zones and income brackets away from their subjects”.

Zaitchik wisely described those he met as a “blue-collar middle class”– mostly white people who have worked hard and lost a lot, whether in the market crash of 2008 or the manufacturing layoffs of recent decades. He found that their motivations overwhelmingly “started with economics and ended with economics”. The anger he observed was “pointed up, not down” at those who forgot them when global trade deals were negotiated, not at minority groups.

this month to mark a White House forum on rural issues.

Last year, talking with author Marilynne Robinson for the New York Review of Books, Obama lamented common misconceptions of small-town middle America, for which he has a sort of reverence. “There’s this huge gap between how folks go about their daily lives and how we talk about our common life and our political life,” he said, naming one cause as “the filters that stand between ordinary people” who are busy getting by and complicated policy debates.

“I’m very encouraged when I meet people in their environments,” Obama told Robinson. “Somehow it gets distilled at the national political level in ways that aren’t always as encouraging.”

To be sure, one discouraging distillation – the caricature of the hate-spewing white male Trump voter with grease on his jeans – is a real person of sorts. There were one or two in my town: the good ol’ boy who menaces those with less power than himself – running people of color out of town with the threat of violence, denigrating women, shooting BB guns at stray cats for fun. They are who Trump would be if he’d been born where I was.

described a Kentucky man:

“Mitch Hedges, who farms cattle and welds coal-mining equipment. He expects to lose his job in six months, but does not support Mr Trump, who he says is ‘an idiot.’”

This made me cheer for the rare spotlight on a member of the white working class who doesn’t support Trump. It also made me laugh – one can’t “farm cattle”. One farms crops, and one raises livestock. It’s sometimes hard for a journalist who has done both to take the New York Times seriously.

The main reason that national media outlets have a blind spot in matters of class is the lack of socioeconomic diversity within their ranks. Few people born to deprivation end up working in newsrooms or publishing books. So few, in fact, that this former laborer has found cause to shift her entire writing career to talk specifically about class in a wealth-privileged industry, much as journalists of color find themselves talking about race in a whiteness-privileged one.

This isn’t to say that one must reside among a given group or place to do it justice, of course, as good muckrakers and commentators have shown for the past century and beyond. See On the Media’s fine new series on poverty, the second episode of which includes Gladstone’s reflection that “the poor are no more monolithic than the rest of us.”

I know journalists to be hard-working people who want to get the story right, and I’m resistant to rote condemnations of “the media”. The classism of cable-news hosts merely reflects the classism of privileged America in general. It’s everywhere, from tweets describing Trump voters as inbred hillbillies to a Democratic campaign platform that didn’t bother with a specific anti-poverty platform until a month out from the general election.

The economic trench between reporter and reported on has never been more hazardous than at this moment of historic wealth disparity, though, when stories focus more often on the stock market than on people who own no stocks. American journalism has been willfully obtuse about the grievances on Main Streets for decades – surely a factor in digging the hole of resentment that Trump’s venom now fills. That the term “populism” has become a pejorative among prominent liberal commentators should give us great pause. A journalism that embodies the plutocracy it’s supposed to critique has failed its watchdog duty and lost the respect of people who call bullshit when they see it.

One such person was my late grandfather, Arnie. Men like Trump sometimes drove expensive vehicles up the gravel driveway of our Kansas farmhouse looking to do some sort of business. Grandpa would recognize them as liars and thieves, treat them kindly, and send them packing. If you shook their hands, after they left Grandpa would laugh and say, “Better count your fingers.”

In a world in which the Bettys and Arnies of the world have little voice, those who enjoy a platform from which to speak might examine their hearts and minds before stepping onto the soap box.

If you would stereotype a group of people by presuming to guess their politics or deeming them inferior to yourself – say, the ones who worked third shift on a Boeing floor while others flew to Mexico during spring break; the ones who mopped a McDonald’s bathroom while others argued about the minimum wage on Twitter; the ones who cleaned out their lockers at a defunct Pabst factory while others drank craft beer at trendy bars; the ones who came back from the Middle East in caskets while others wrote op-eds about foreign policy – then consider that you might have more in common with Trump than you would like to admit.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/10/17/find-out-what-immigration-growth-looks-like-in-your-state/

There are more immigrants living in the United States than ever before. The foreign-born are more likely to come from China and India—often equipped with skills and a higher education—than Mexico.

Many of the immigrants who live here have called the U.S. home for a while—an average of nearly 21 years—and their economic and social progress improves over time.

Immigrants continue to flock to places where there are others like them. California has nearly one-fourth of the nation’s immigrants living there, while New York and Texas remain popular places for non-natives to call home.

But states outside of traditional immigrant settlements—like Georgia, North Carolina, Minnesota, Colorado, Washington, and Nevada—have also seen significant increases in their foreign-born populations.

This is the profile of the nearly 43 million immigrants residing in the U.S. today, as told from 2014 and 2015 Census Bureau data presented by the Center for Immigration Studies in a recent report.

The study, which includes figures for both legal and illegal immigrants, comes at a time when the question of what to do about immigration is a defining political issue. It’s a debate that promises to continue into a future where the foreign-born occupy a larger and larger percentage of many states’ populations, and the makeup of the nation’s immigrants is proving to reflect the rich-poor divide in America, from wealthy technology innovators, to poor agricultural workers.

“We are kind of heading into uncharted territory when it comes to immigration,” said Steven A. Camarota, the author of the report who is the director of research for the Center for Immigration Studies, which advocates for less immigration.

“From a policy perspective, I would expect efforts to further increase the level of immigrants to the U.S. of all kinds, including family-based and skill-based. I think you will see constituencies trying to satisfy sectors as varied as the hotel and restaurant industries, Silicon Valley, and ethnic advocacy groups that are more about family immigration,” Camarota told The Daily Signal in an interview.

The portrait of U.S. immigrants presented in the study will likely be interpreted depending on how an individual values immigration.

Just take education, a measurable where the picture of immigrants is nuanced.

In 2014, 30 percent of immigrants lacked a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, compared to 10 percent of their native-born counterparts.

Yet, that same year, 29 percent of the 36.7 million immigrants ages 25 and older had a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared to 30 percent of native-born adults.

Interestingly, the share of college-educated immigrants is higher—44 percent—among those who entered the country since 2010. That trend is not an accident, experts say.

India was the leading country of origin for new immigrants in 2014, with 147,500 arriving to the U.S. out of 1.3 million total foreign-born individuals who moved to America that year.

About 40 percent of Indian immigrants hold a graduate degree. Fewer than 12 percent of native-born Americans do.

China had the second-largest amount of new entrants to the U.S., with 131,800. And though Mexico ranked third on this list in 2014—130,000 came from there that year—the net number of Mexican immigrants living in the U.S. has not increased since 2010, and even illegal immigration by Mexicans has decreased drastically since the recession.

Illegal immigration is increasingly coming from Central America, where women and children fleeing violence and poverty in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras seek asylum in the U.S.

“Since the recession, the number of Mexican immigrants coming to the U.S. has not grown—that’s an under-told story in the data here,” said Randy Capps, the director of research for U.S. programs at the Migration Policy Institute, which is nonpartisan.

“Contrast that with the rapid growth in the number of Chinese and Indian immigrants—which in total is still a quarter of the number of U.S. residents from Mexico. The numbers of Chinese and Indians are the biggest source of growth now and going forward. People who come from those two countries have increasingly strong economic ties to the U.S., have strong middle-class backgrounds with the ability to get more education as needed, and have more resources and relatives already in the U.S. That’s the future of immigration in America.”

Despite these positive trends, Camarota is quick to point to other indicators that he argues show costs to immigration.

Once they come here, immigrants are more likely to not have health insurance coverage than the native-born. In 2014, 27 percent of the foreign-born were uninsured, compared to 9 percent of natives.

Also that year, 27.1 percent of immigrants and their U.S.-born children under 18 were on Medicaid, compared to 17.9 percent of natives and their children.

More immigrants were in poverty in 2014 (18.5 percent of them), in contrast to 13.5 percent of natives.

While the foreign-born and natives make equal use of cash assistance programs, more immigrant households use food assistance programs.

Most concerning to Camarota, he says, is a downward trend in the number of native-born young adults without a college degree who are not working, a marker that he considers related to competition with immigrants for low-wage jobs.

In 2000, 66 percent of natives 18 to 29 years old with only a high school education were employed. That compares to 53 percent of such U.S.-born young people who were working in 2015.

“This is a point that we should be giving a lot of thought: the drastic deterioration in work among native-born young people,” Camarota said. “And if you don’t work when you are 18, the chance you will work at 27 is a whole lot less. This shows the argument that we have a shortage of workers and need to bring people to the U.S. to be nannies, maids, and busboys is absurd.”

Capps acknowledges Camarota’s concerns over less educated young people not working, but he argues there are many factors that contribute to that. He points to the data showing that gaps are closing between immigrants and natives in skills, education, and wages, and that the foreign-born improve on those indicators the longer they reside in the U.S.

All together, immigrants and natives have virtually identical rates of employment and labor force participation, according to the Center for Immigration Studies report.

“On the legal immigration side, it’s just the reality that we still have a very generous system, with 1 million coming to the U.S. every year,” Capps said. “It’s correct to note there are some costs to that. There are always costs associated to a group as big as 1 million people coming here, with job competition and public benefit use being some of them. But these are relatively small costs compared to the broader economic benefits of so many people immigrating here, many of them now coming with high skills.”