***********Former NFL Running Back Lawrence Phillips Dead (Suicide)**********

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/01/13/lawrence-phillips-dead-ex-nfl-star-found-dead-in-cell/

Ex-NFL star Lawrence Phillips is dead -- and officials say he was found in his cell at Kern Valley State Prison.

Officials say the death is being investigated as a suicide.

The 40-year-old -- who played for the Rams, Dolphins and 49ers -- was serving time at Kern Valley State Prison in California on a 31-year sentence for all sorts of convictions, including spousal abuse.

Most recently, he had been accused of killing his cellmate -- 37-year-old Damion Soward -- and was facing murder charges.

He was a running back at the University of Nebraska in the 1990s before playing in the NFL in a career cut short by off-field incidents and legal trouble.

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
This has got to be one of the saddest stories in the history of sports. Im too young to remember him at Nebraska but I heard he had all the talent in the world and I heard that Ray Lewis said he was the toughest opponent he faced :smh:. Btw TMZ is real slick with the wording in their articles.

Dude was a beast and would have been huge had been able to control his demons.

mexico

Rising Star
Registered
Good for him. Dude's life was full of turmoil. Never looked like he ever had a sense of peace. Maybe he's got it now.

And I do remember him at Nebraska. One of the top five runners i ever saw with my own eyes. There were guys who came after that won Heismans who I wouldn't put in front of him. Too bad he never translated any of that talent to the NFL.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Damn... Sad to say it, but maybe this is the best result for him. I don't think we can imagine the Demons that were chasing after that dude.

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
Yeah… read a long form piece on dude. He had some real issues growing up. Clearly fucked him up as a teenager growing into a young man. Never got the help he needed. Tragic.

Do you remember who did the article? Sounds like it would be a good read.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
This has got to be one of the saddest stories in the history of sports. Im too young to remember him at Nebraska but I heard he had all the talent in the world and I heard that Ray Lewis said he was the toughest opponent he faced :smh:. Btw TMZ is real slick with the wording in their articles.

He always had serious problems. He's the reason why Montana had to retire too....but yeah...he was really good at nebraska, but you just knew he was going to implode. He needed treatment.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
already doing 31 years and facing a murder charge that would have got him life with no parole and most likely would have made him transfer to a max pen.He decided that ain't no life..

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
He always had serious problems. He's the reason why Montana had to retire too....but yeah...he was really good at nebraska, but you just knew he was going to implode. He needed treatment.

What happened with Montana?

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And I do remember him at Nebraska. One of the top five runners i ever saw with my own eyes. There were guys who came after that won Heismans who I wouldn't put in front of him. Too bad he never translated any of that talent to the NFL.

This. I remember him at Nebraska and with the Rams... Great college back that the NFL ate up. Could've been his off field issue, could've been he wasn't good enough. But he was just another guy in the NFL.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

My dad went to Nebraska, so I grew up watching all the Huskers games.
Lawrence Phillips was a fucking beast at Nebraska.
Was good enough to have won a Heisman, but even in college he was fucking up.
Was charged with beating his girl and dragging her down some stairs. :smh:
Tom Osborne suspended him for like one game and still had him play that season where they won the 2nd of back-to-back national championships.
Dude had demons his whole life, he was orphaned and raised in group homes as a child.
Fucked up end to his life.

RIP