Fitness & Physical Beauty

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Here, we shall attempt to capture the best workouts, nutrition and beautification of the body, in the fitness realm, charts, pictures & healthy eating programs...

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
GYH Thanks!

These are my fav posts.

For the ladies has a good intro to weight training for women. The author is smart and a smart ass. It's very humorous and dispels a lot of myths.

www.stumptuous.com

AristotlesOwn

Star
Registered
I'll start with diet then do another post on fitness later.

The first thing you must realize is that big-mama's cooking will sabotage your efforts. If you're unwilling to cut down on soul food to at most twice a week, anything you do fitness wise will be in vain. However, what you cook doesn't have to be tasteless.

A family sized foreman grill or grill pan and a well seasoned cast-iron skillet will be good companions

Also note that this is a non-vegetarian menu

Always have these items stocked:

Lunch/Dinner items:
*Lots of fresh Water (I buy distilled store brand)
*Chicken Breasts
*Lean Ground Meats like turkey/chicken/extra lean ground beef(at least 90% lean)
*Fresh broccoli (frozen works in a pinch)
*Spinach (frozen works)
*Kale/Collard greens (leave the country ham and turkey leg out of it)
*Cabbage
*Several cans of tuna/Solid white albacore
*Some kind of fish/shellfish if not allergic (be easy on the Old Bay)

Snacks:
*Keep unsalted toasted almonds and other nuts around (good fats)
*Fresh fruit of your choosing for general consumption and shakes (bananas are a staple)
*Natural Peanut Butter
*Low Sugar/No sugar Jelly
*Olive oil and Vinegar for salads
*Yogurt

Breakfast:
*Oatmeal
*Eggs/Egg substitute
*Wheat bread (for toast)
*Cheerios or another non-sweet fibrous cereal. If you must have sweet I guess you can have some honey nut Cheerios :rolleyes: . A better option would be to buy some Splenda.

Remember to eat at least 5 times a day to keep that metabolism up.

I either brine my chicken breasts (if I have time) or use a salt rub (for 30 min) to keep them moist and give them taste. I usually bake them whole on the weekend, or cut up the chicken into cubes and pan sear them (again to save time). I season almost all my meats with garlic cloves/powder, onion/powder, Seasoning salt and Mrs. Dash. Coat your cookware with Pam instead of butter or oil.

*Try to sautee your broccoli, it brings out its flavor. Slice the stalk into smaller pieces and use that too.

*If you have a large freezer you can cook all your meals for a week or 2, (or more) just to save time on cooking.

*You shouldn't spend too much money on this stuff, my bill usually comes to about $50 (with variation in both directions) worth of food if you stick to store brands. And some of this will last you a while.

I also challenge each of you to replace water with each of your beverages for 3 weeks and see if that doesn't make even the slightest difference in appearance. It was total hell for me at first, but after awhile I got used to it.

I'll edit this post if I think of something more. Vegetarians are welcome to add alternatives.

Last edited:

OnSlaught

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The first thing you must realize is that big-mama's cooking will sabotage your efforts. If you're unwilling to cut down on soul food to at most twice a week, anything you do fitness wise will be in vain. However, what you cook doesn't have to be tasteless.

A family sized foreman grill or grill pan and a well seasoned cast-iron skillet will be good companions

Lunch/Dinner items:
*Chicken Breasts
*Lean Ground Meats like turkey/chicken/extra lean ground beef(at least 90% lean)
*Spinach (frozen works)
*Cabbage

Snacks:
*Fresh fruit of your choosing for general consumption and shakes (bananas are a staple)
*Natural Peanut Butter
*Yogurt

Breakfast:
*Oatmeal
*Eggs/Egg substitute
*Wheat bread (for toast)
*Cheerios or another non-sweet fibrous cereal. If you must have sweet I guess you can have some honey nut Cheerios :rolleyes: . A better option would be to buy some Splenda.

I either brine my chicken breasts (if I have time) or use a salt rub (for 30 min) to keep them moist and give them taste. I usually bake them whole on the weekend, or cut up the chicken into cubes and pan sear them (again to save time). I season almost all my meats with garlic cloves/powder, onion/powder, Seasoning salt and Mrs. Dash. Coat your cookware with Pam instead of butter or oil.

*Try to sautee your broccoli, it brings out its flavor. Slice the stalk into smaller pieces and use that too.

*If you have a large freezer you can cook all your meals for a week or 2, (or more) just to save time on cooking.

*You shouldn't spend too much money on this stuff, my bill usually comes to about $50 (with variation in both directions) worth of food if you stick to store brands. And some of this will last you a while.

I also challenge each of you to replace water with each of your beverages for 3 weeks and see if that doesn't make even the slightest difference in appearance. It was total hell for me at first, but after awhile I got used to it.

I'll edit this post if I think of something more. Vegetarians are welcome to add alternatives.

This is a real good post Aristotle, but I swear it takes too damn long for me to cook all the food I eat. I'm tryin' to get up to at least 240lbs of solid muscle, and most of my meals fall by the way of protein shakes. I'm on the go alot and that's the quickest thing. But I try to abide by the suggestions you made as far as the content of food on the regular whenever I do sit down and cook a meal. LOL Whenever that is...plus my metabolism is super high, so I have to have a high calorie intake of protein and carbs, especially after workouts.

AristotlesOwn

Star
Registered
This is a real good post Aristotle, but I swear it takes too damn long for me to cook all the food I eat. I'm tryin' to get up to at least 240lbs of solid muscle, and most of my meals fall by the way of protein shakes. I'm on the go alot and that's the quickest thing. But I try to abide by the suggestions you made as far as the content of food on the regular whenever I do sit down and cook a meal. LOL Whenever that is...plus my metabolism is super high, so I have to have a high calorie intake of protein and carbs, especially after workouts.

It does get hard with work to cook, which is why I do most of it on the weekend; Saturday during the day is ideal for me. Protein shakes are cool, but they leave me hungry in about 20min...I think you should invest in a Meal Replacement Protein (MRP) if you don't already (I suggest Met-Rx Chocolate). I didn't go into supplementation yet because the basics need to be covered first. Everything else builds from there. You sound like a true hardgainer fella; you should probably be eating right now :lol:

MissStarKitty

Potential Star
BGOL Investor

Lunch/Dinner items:
*Chicken Breasts
*Spinach (frozen works)
*Cabbage

Snacks:
*Natural Peanut Butter
*Yogurt

Breakfast:
*Oatmeal
*Eggs/Egg substitute
*Wheat bread (for toast)

Okay I have a question..
I am so familiar with this diet...I ran track for a very long time, the problem is keeping the weight on for me, my ideal weight is 140 and I feel like in order for me to keep that on and look healthy I have to pig out...like I feel like I have to eat all day long, like before I workout after work outs and that's not good. Pretty much I have a very crazy metabolism.
Any suggestions for eating healthy in order to keep a normal weight...
FYI I am 5'7" so when I am under 130 I look sick (in my opinion)

AristotlesOwn

Star
Registered
Okay I have a question..
I am so familiar with this diet...I ran track for a very long time, the problem is keeping the weight on for me, my ideal weight is 140 and I feel like in order for me to keep that on and look healthy I have to pig out...like I feel like I have to eat all day long, like before I workout after work outs and that's not good. Pretty much I have a very crazy metabolism.

Actually, for an ectomorph like you, it is good to eat a lot if you're eating the right things...Eating before and after a workout is normal and recommended depending on the intensity and duration of the workout.

How many times a day are you eating? If your goal is weight maintenance it sounds like you need to play around with your carbohydrate intake a little, maybe increase your fruit intake or eat more rice/potatoes.

5'7'' and 130 sounds like a good weight, not skinny at all. Is 140 your off season weight?

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
My ideal workout would be doing laps in Femm, then some "cardio" in GetYouHot, followed by some "lifting" of SinaminDelite.

nails732

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Okay I have a question..
SOUNDS LIKE TO MUCH CARDIO WATCH ALOT OF WOMEN IN THE GYM MAKE THAT MISTAKE A N LOOK LIKE CRACK HEADS AFTER A COUPLE OF MONTHS I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO SWITCH UP YOUR WORKOUT LESS CARDIO AN MORE WEIGHTS

cameo

Star
OG Investor
This is a great topic. I've posted about this kind of lifestyle for years on BGOL. I have a degree in Sports Science, I am certified by the ISSA as a Sports Specific Strength and Conditioning Coach. I am licensed by the NSCA as a Strength Coach. Let me first say this, fitness is a lifestyle, a way of life. There is no such thing as a diet, a temporary fix, none of that at all. Eating, excersising, and living better is a life change that only you can make. Bottomline is this, you truly "are what you eat" . Decide, like I tell all of my clients, "PLEASE, don't waste your money, if your not going to change the way you eat and live. " My philosphy is simple " I train people to learn how to train themselves " After about a year, I usually encourage people to go ahead and train themselves. I reduce my fee. I still print out workouts for them, meal plans, but I don't train them anymore !

Typical day for me
5:00- treadmill 30 minutes, abs ( sippin on green tea) Mon-Wed-Fri
6:30 - oatmeal, protein shake
8:30 - black coffee, eggs, wheat toast, orange juice
10:30 - snack- pecans, cashews, protein bars, anything healty
12:30 - two pieces of grilled catfish, baked yams, water
2:00 - protein shake
3:30 - weights
6:00 - 6 inch turkey sub, apple, baked yam, low fat chocolate milk
8:30-9:30 - depends, fruit, maybe butter lite popcorn !
11:30 -sleep depends

Monday - Legs

Tuesday - Chest (swim afterwards, 20 minutes)

Wednesday- Arms

Thursday - Shoulders ( I front squat and do lunges on this day swim afterwards, 20 minutes)

Friday- Back ( about 200 push-ups, and about 30 dips with a 45 lb plate on a chain)

Sat-Sun FOR THE WINTER SLEEP ! Get all warm, hoping one of you SOL ladies might pass thru for the weekend ! :yes:

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
Ok... I would love for someone to give me good workout advice that I can stick to.. I try to goto the gym on nights that I don't work my p/t job... I usually do about 30-40 mins of cardio then 30 mins of strength training... I just moved and fell off after a summer of hard work and started gaining some weight back.. Of course like most women, I want to lose belly fat, but realize it's a total package , you can't concentrate one area... I work @ a college and I goto the gym there for free, we have 5 facilities... HELP ME!!!

OH... I try to eat healthy, lots of water but I do have an affection for candy, its bad.. I eat fruit, veggies, no beef or pork... i take a daily vitamin every morning with a glass of OJ and try to eat breakfast (cuz it's the most important meal)!!!

MissStarKitty

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Actually, for an ectomorph like you, it is good to eat a lot if you're eating the right things...Eating before and after a workout is normal and recommended depending on the intensity and duration of the workout.

How many times a day are you eating? If your goal is weight maintenance it sounds like you need to play around with your carbohydrate intake a little, maybe increase your fruit intake or eat more rice/potatoes.

5'7'' and 130 sounds like a good weight, not skinny at all. Is 140 your off season weight?
I was gonna take you calling me an ectomorph as an insult until I looked it up..lol:D

You know I eat fruit like crazy, I am trini/PR so ofcourse I eat rice like it's about to be taken away from me. I am not sure if I am eating enough of it though, I feel like I am, I practically eat it everyday.

Well usually my weight fluctuates from 120-135, like I said it's really hard for me to keep weight on. 140 right now looks good on me, but the only reason why I have that is because I just had a baby a month ago....
I am trying to keep this on and not lose it...

SOUNDS LIKE TO MUCH CARDIO WATCH ALOT OF WOMEN IN THE GYM MAKE THAT MISTAKE A N LOOK LIKE CRACK HEADS AFTER A COUPLE OF MONTHS I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO SWITCH UP YOUR WORKOUT LESS CARDIO AN MORE WEIGHTS
I thought the cardio was my problem too, even when I cut it down I still was losing weight, But I know what you are talking about when the ladies are treadmilling it for like hours and are anorexic looking. I have little people too, so I am always moving that could be part of it....

karizmatic

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
thats where you use the low weights with high reps. you tone what you have but don't build up more and don't lose from the cardio.

sup most sexy bigirl and scorpio... aye I dont post much but this is one of the areas im almost a expert at... health/fitness, barbering, software and sex! lol toning is actually loosing weight...Its actually reducing your overall body fat percentage to reveal the muscle you have. This really can be achieved purely with diet. If you dont have much muscle already there is nothing to tone aka reveal. If you eat right and keep a consistent ( this is key) 20 min of cardio, 20 min of light/medium full body... focus on the big mucles your back/lats, legs/glutes, chest/shoulders all in 2 circuits ( meaning do all excercises back to back , no rest ..then take a 60-90 second break and do it all again...:yes:) youll be sexy as fuck... then ill come over and molest ur new even sexier body...

p.s. I lost 100 pounds in a year doin that shyt .... went from 340 to 240 following LL's platinum body workout...I only got to the silver body ...the rest was overkill and I look just like a baseball player... Long lean with that natural V taper... droppin all that weight made the illusion my dick was bigger too lol...now that my stomach is flat!;)

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
I'm starting back with serious workouts with my trainer. He writes down my diet but since I've seen him off and on for the past 4 years I know what to expect.

Generally it's 6 egg whites 2X a day, tilapia and cabbage with a spoonful of sweet potato 2x a day and 2 protein shakes. In the AM, it's some sort of fruit or fruit juice. Other than that it's nothing but water.

Since my trainer knows I like to drink he allows me to have 1 glass of wine a day but I'm going to try to limit that to 1 glass on my off days.

I plan on doing 30 minutes of cardio before weight training and an hour of cardio after work to include a combination of the Cybex Arc Trainer, running on a Woodway treadmill, getting on the elliptical machine and 30 minutes on the Stepmill to keep those glutes tight.

On my off days, I plan on sticking with just a yoga or pilates class.

dux

Potential Star
Registered
oatmeal or cornmeal porridge everyday if you could
always keep a stash of fruits or some kind of nuts(almonds, trail mix,boiled peanuts etc) every where , in ur bag , ur room

cook a pot of soup to last you 2-3 days( with plenty peas and vegetables : cabbage , dashin, yam, sweet potato, irish potato carrots..the more colors the better )

oatmeal /fruit shakes in between meals

AVOID ALL FAST FOOD JOINTS
enjoy a cup of bush tea or ginger tea every time you can
and walk every where, the more steps you take the longer you live...my grandma told me that

meditate , stay positive , read a book a month , get off BGOL/SOL and socialize in the real world once in a while
make love often to build/maintain ur core..release all them feel good hormones and burn off some stress as well as a few pounds

and all that will keep you lean and healthy

tebriel69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
first up i think all the ladies on here are already sexy in their own right. but eh if you want to improve a bit for your own peace of mind then eh,this is all great advice. i really like how people are focusing on the most important aspect of fittness and physical beautification. DIET is more than 70 percent of having an ideal physique. if u dont eat right, you can work out all day and all night and you'll see no results. like its been stated, try to eat between 5-7 meals a day. yes this can be difficult to do. i myself can't do it because i simply can't afford it or i dont have the time. (generally a combination of both). but when i do eat, i eat right.

when i'm a full time student, i dont have a lot of money and i'm on the go balancing class, studying, work and the gym. my diet consist of raw spinach, lean turkey and rice. i also eat fruit. mainly apples and bananas. also, carrots double as an addition to my salad and a snack. chips and salsa is my other snack. try to get plain chips and all natural salsa or make your own.

now i do not cook my spinach. EVER. raw spinach is the greenest, leafiest vegetable u can have and its power packed with calcium, iron (ladies ya'll have a tendency to get depleted of this faster than us men) and other nutrients. i make myself a salad every day and when i make my bowl of rice and turkey with soy sauce, i just get a plate of raw spinach and either eat it with my meal or tear it up and mix it. now this is a pretty boring diet and i wouldnt recommend it. this is simply because of my given status. however, the point is that you MUST indulge in healthy foods or else.

btw, my workout is as followed:

College life:
Mon-chest,biceps,triceps (boxing)

Tues-shoulder,back (boxing,swimming)

Wed-Legs,forearms (boxing)

Thurs-boxing, swimming or some other activity

Fri-no combat training, weight routine starts over again.

also, pray a lot and keep yourself stress free. DO NOT spend your time pouting in front of a mirror because of what you think you should look like. concentrate on your goals and be patient and you'll get there.

shout out to GetYouHot for the hot thread. girl that name is appopiate cuz you damn sure get me hot. *goes outside and wishes the desert had an icy cold lake to jump into*

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
btw, my workout is as followed:

College life:
Mon-chest,biceps,triceps (boxing)

Tues-shoulder,back (boxing,swimming)

Wed-Legs,forearms (boxing)

Thurs-boxing, swimming or some other activity

Fri-no combat training, weight routine starts over again.

also, pray a lot and keep yourself stress free. DO NOT spend your time pouting in front of a mirror because of what you think you should look like. concentrate on your goals and be patient and you'll get there.

shout out to GetYouHot for the hot thread. girl that name is appopiate cuz you damn sure get me hot. *goes outside and wishes the desert had an icy cold lake to jump into*

What an exciting workout schedule you have...
devil10.gif

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Nutrition

Choice foods to pick and choose from, all are good, there are limits and frequency to guide you at the bottom of the list. Mix and match. If you are still eating fast food and drink soda on the regular, I can't even see you, get back, when you have cut that out of your system. I'm paying big bucks for this knowledge, so use it to your advantage, live long and prosper...:yes:

Proteins
Chicken Breast
Turkey Breast
Lean Ground Turkey, Beef, Pork, Chicken or Lamb
Sword Fish
Orange Roughy
Haddock
Salmon
Tuna
Crab
Lobster
Shrimp
Top Round Steak
Top Sirloin Steak
Buffalo
Lean Ham
Egg whites or substitutes(egg beaters)
Trout
Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
Wild Game Meats

Vegetarian Proteins
Tempeh
Seltan
Tofu
Textured veggie protein
Soy Foods
Veggie Burgers

Cabohydrates
Baked Potato
Sweet Potato
Yams
Squash
Pumpkin
Brown, Wild Rice
Pasta
Oatmeal
Barley
Kidney Beans
Corn
Strawberries
Melon
Apples
Oranges
Fat-Free Yogurt
Whole Wheat Bread
High Fiber Cereal
Rice Cakes
Popcorn(no butter)
Tortilla
Whole Grains

Vegetables
Broccoli
Asparagus
Lettuce
Carrots
Cauliflower
Green Beans
Green Peppers
Mushrooms
Spinach
Tomato
Peas
Onion
Brussel Sprouts
Artichoke
Cabbage
Celery
Zucchini
Cucumber

Fats
Avocado
Sunflower Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds
Cold-Water Fish
Natural Peanut Butter
Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
Low-Fat Salad Dressing
Low-Sodium Nuts
Olives and Olive Oil
Safflower Oil
Canola Oil
Flax Seed Oil

Fats to avoid...
Butter, fried foods, mayonaise, sweets, whole fat dairy products

Eat six times a day
Combine carbohydrates and proteins with every meal
Combine fats with protein and vegetables
Appropriate portion size, use the palm of your hand to measure total portion size.
Plan your meals
Water Intake, one gallon a day
Stay Focused, if you cheat you are cheating on yourself...

cameo

Star
OG Investor
Nutrition

Choice foods to pick and choose from, all are good, there are limits and frequency to guide you at the bottom of the list. Mix and match. If you are still eating fast food and drink soda on the regular, I can't even see you, get back, when you have cut that out of your system. I'm paying big bucks for this knowledge, so use it to your advantage, live long and prosper...:yes:

Proteins
Chicken Breast
Turkey Breast
Lean Ground Turkey, Beef, Pork, Chicken or Lamb
Sword Fish
Orange Roughy
Haddock
Salmon
Tuna
Crab
Lobster
Shrimp
Top Round Steak
Top Sirloin Steak
Buffalo
Lean Ham
Egg whites or substitutes(egg beaters)
Trout
Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
Wild Game Meats

Vegetarian Proteins
Tempeh
Seltan
Tofu
Textured veggie protein
Soy Foods
Veggie Burgers

Cabohydrates
Baked Potato
Sweet Potato
Yams
Squash
Pumpkin
Brown, Wild Rice
Pasta
Oatmeal
Barley
Kidney Beans
Corn
Strawberries
Melon
Apples
Oranges
Fat-Free Yogurt
Whole Wheat Bread
High Fiber Cereal
Rice Cakes
Popcorn(no butter)
Tortilla
Whole Grains

Vegetables
Broccoli
Asparagus
Lettuce
Carrots
Cauliflower
Green Beans
Green Peppers
Mushrooms
Spinach
Tomato
Peas
Onion
Brussel Sprouts
Artichoke
Cabbage
Celery
Zucchini
Cucumber

Fats
Avocado
Sunflower Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds
Cold-Water Fish
Natural Peanut Butter
Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
Low-Fat Salad Dressing
Low-Sodium Nuts
Olives and Olive Oil
Safflower Oil
Canola Oil
Flax Seed Oil

Fats to avoid...
Butter, fried foods, mayonaise, sweets, whole fat dairy products

Eat six times a day
Combine carbohydrates and proteins with every meal
Combine fats with protein and vegetables
Appropriate portion size, use the palm of your hand to measure total portion size.
Plan your meals
Water Intake, one gallon a day
Stay Focused, if you cheat you are cheating on yourself...

thank you, my fingers were so tired ! SALMON AND YAMS ! THAT'S MY FAVORITE THING ON THE LIST. I PROBABLY EAT BAKED YAMS, 5 TIMES A WEEK !

THESE ARE A FEW THINGS I USE. SAME TASTE, BETTER FOR YOU !

SL15.jpg

SmartBalance.gif

tonychacheres-b.jpg

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
I prefer the natural, low fat or versions of the old classics, not the sugar substitutes or fake fats, just doesn't seem healthy to me. When I see articles, reporting cancer in this and that and other health problems, related to all the substitute condiments, I prefer moderation of the real deal.

As for non salt seasonings, I'm all for it...

:hmm:

tig 'ol bittays

Potential Star
Registered
Exercises for a Fit Butt

There are different types of butts (i.e., flat, bubble, pear-shaped, 'relaxed,' and the heart-shaped backside). Each body type responds to different exercises. For example, a person with a flat backside would definitely want to add squats to his or her routine to increase muscle mass. If you have a heart-shaped behind you want to do activities like walking and kickboxing to tone up and then add some squats and leg lifts. Genes play a big role in how your body responds to exercise and it is important to understand that, while you can firm up your tush, you can't always change the shape.

The Squat

Form Pointers: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Slowly lower your body as though you are 'sitting' in a chair until your thighs are parallel with the ground. Keeping the weight in your heels, push yourself up slowly until you're back where you started.
Key points: don't allow your knees to extend over your toes and keep your torso tight and erect.

Do this exercise 1 or 2 times per week, 2-3 sets of 12 to 16 reps with medium to heavy weight.

A squat is considered a compound or multi-joint exercise which is the basis for just about any weight training program no matter what your goal is. Compound exercises work more than one muscle group which means you can use more weight. Using heavier weight is how you build lean body tissue. The more lean body tissue you have, the higher your metabolism and the more calories you burn on a regular basis. Plus, you're targeting every major muscle in your upper leg, up to and including your quadriceps (front of the thigh), hamstrings (back of the thigh), and gluteal muscles (the muscles in your ass).

My personal favorite is;

The Lunge

Next to squats, lunges are the next best thing for your butt and thighs. This is also a compound movement so, like squats, when you do them you get more bang for your buck. There are many ways to do lunges. There are static lunges holding dumbbells or a barbell. An advanced version of the lunge would be to start with your feet together and then step forward into a lunge, then back to starting position,front lunges. Dips or reverse lunges also start with feet together and then you step back with one leg into a lunge position and then back to starting position.

Form Pointers: Stand with feet together holding a medium to heavy weight. Slowly lower your body into a lunge position, keeping the front knee and back knee at 90 degree angles. Keeping the weight in your heels, push back up (slowly!) to starting position. Remember to never lock your knees at the top and never let your knee bend past your toes. Keep torso tight and upright, using your abs or back muscles.

Do this exercise 1 or 2 times per week, 2-3 sets of 12 to 16 reps with light to medium weight.

You can use one of those machines or else;

The Plié Squat

Another great exercise is the plié squat, which targets the inner thighs, quadriceps, as well as the glutes. This move, which you may recognize as a ballet-type exercise, is a great addition to both squats and lunges and, like these other exercise, is a compound movement. Form is critical with this exercise as it is with squats and lunges. With your toes at an angle, it is very easy for your knee to twist out of alignment. Remember, your toes and knees should be pointing in the same direction.

Form Pointers: Stand with feet wider than shoulder-width apart, toes out at a comfortable angle using no weight or medium weight. Bend your knees and lower your
body towards the floor, keeping your knees in line with your toes and squeezing through the heels of your feet as you push back up. Remember, don't lock your knees at the top of the movement and keep your abs and back tight and straight.

Do this exercise 1 or 2 times per week, 2-3 sets of 12 to 16 reps with medium to heavy weight.

The Deadlift

Deadlifts are often thought to be a lower back exercise. It is true that deadlifts are great for your back, but if you change the exercise just a bit, deadlifts are great for your hamstrings and your gluteal muscles.

In a deadlift, you are tipping forward from your hips and keeping your legs straight or a little bent rather than squatting. This puts pressure on your back, which is why keeping your back flat is critical for this exercise to work without causing pain or injury. At the bottom of the movement you should tighten your butt and hamstrings as you pull your torso back to starting position. One variation is to prop your toes on plates or on a board to really trigger the gluteal muscles.

Form Pointers: Stand with feet wide or together. Keeping back straight the entire time, tip forward from the hips and lower your torso until the bar reaches mid-shin. Squeezing your butt and hamstrings, raise your torso until the bar stops at mid-thigh. Keep the bar close to your legs through the entire movement and always keep your shoulders back.
**Deadlifts are very hard to master, so keep at it and you'll see great results. This exercise is also great for the lower back.

For all of these exercises, form is critical. Always remember to go slow and keep your knees in line with your toes, otherwise you could put strain on your knees and cause injury. You should also remember to use your abs and your back muscles to stabilize your body, especially if you're using weights. Never swing or use momentum to get the weights up and, if you feel any pain, stop!

tig 'ol bittays

Potential Star
Registered
Elliptical Motion

The low impact, intensive cardiovascular workout of an elliptical trainer is achieved through smooth and natural motion. The fluid, non-jarring motion makes the elliptical trainer ideal for anyone with back, knee, hips and joint problems. The dual action machines utilize both the legs and arm in providing a full upper and lower body workout.

Motion studies over the last decade show that the human foot moves through an elliptical pattern as we walk, run or jog. Fitness products that imitate and support this motion are the fastest growing new category of cardiovascular equipment.

Elliptical exercise involves more muscle mass in an aerobic exercise activity. For the average person, the larger the muscle mass involved in exercise, the more effective that exercise is for improving fat mobilization, burning calories and building muscle endurance in an efficient period of time, and at a reduced perceived rate of exertion. The upper and lower body workout of a trainer utilizes the quadriceps. hamstrings, glutes, chest, back, triceps and biceps.

On speed 10, I burn 1 calorie a minute, reversing my motion every 5min, so, withing my trainers' requirements for cooldown, after a workout 30min I continue to burn calories, after our session. Warmup is 5min, on the treadmill at 6 speed, which translates to a 10min mile.

8/11Streetz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yooooo this thread is the shit glad I came to visit SOL ill be checking this post on the regular because I want to eat better but had no idea where to begin

Here is a lil something from me ladies and gents

Www.leehaney.com/nutritional chart.htm

A brother trying to get that 2pack to a 6pack by summer

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Hi MrAvon, are you doing it like, this?...:)

[FLASH]http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/oalrYAw0P7ofv6Vmo[/FLASH]

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
WHAT ARE SOME TIPS FOR BEING MORE ACTIVE?

Adults need recess too! With a little creativity and planning, even the person with the busiest schedule can make room for physical activity. For many folks, before work, after work or during work breaks are often good times to cycle, walk, or play. Think about your weekly or daily schedule and look for or make opportunities to be more active. Every little bit helps. Consider the following suggestions:

istockphoto_3013214_sexy_black_woman_body.jpg

Walk, cycle, jog, skate, etc., to work, school, the store, or place of worship.

Park the car farther away from your destination.

Get on or off the bus several blocks away.

Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.

Play with children or pets.Everybody wins. If you find it too difficult to be active after work, try it before work.

Take fitness breaks-walking or doing desk exercises-instead of taking cigarette or coffee breaks.

Perform gardening or home repair activities.

Avoid labor-saving devices-turn off the self-propel option on your lawn mower or vacuum cleaner.

Use leg power-take small trips on foot to get your body moving.

Exercise while watching TV (for example, use hand weights, stationary bicycle/treadmill/stairclimber, or stretch).

Dance to music.

Keep a pair of comfortable walking or running shoes in your car and office. You'll be ready for activity wherever you go!

Make a Saturday morning walk a group habit.

Walk while doing errands.

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
I have a question I want to tone up more but I dont want to lose weight?? How can I achieve that??

You probably need to build muscle. Weight training first and foremost, low weight and high reps, to get toned and shapely. Also, workouts on an elliptical machine, speed walking with ankle or arm weights.

Nowdays, everybody is into the stretchbands-tension and exercise balls-calesthetic, stretching, buy yourself some of those.

Eating, increase your protein intake, meal replacement supplements.Take vitamins and monitor your weight weekly...

http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm

Just in case...

Here is a link to workouts for specific parts of your body...goodluck!
http://www.altusathletic.com/exercise_default2.asp?exercisecat_id=34

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
FASTING

I'm prepared to drop 20lbs. I did the following type of cleansing before and it was a good, clean way to put a jump on my weight loss, beginning this week I will start a 20day cleanse ...

Includes, vegetables, raw, steamed or baked, liquids like gatorade, mineral water, wine:D soups and broths, I take multi vitamins and drink unsweetened fruit juice & muscle milk lite, occasionally creatine after a long workout...

What is Fasting?
Fasting is a period of abstinence from all food or specific items. Fluids are consumed in sufficient quantity to satisfy thirst and physiologic requirements. During the absence of food, the body will systematically cleanse itself of everything except vital tissue. Starvation will occur only when the body is forced to use vital tissue to survive. Although protein is being used by the body during the fast, a person fasting even 40 days on water will not suffer a deficiency of protein, vitamins, minerals or fatty acids. In the breakdown of unhealthy cells, all essential substances are used and conserved in a most extraordinary manner. There is an unwarranted fear of fasting that strength diminishes from the catabolism of proteins from muscle fibers. Even during long fasts, the number of muscle fibers remains the same. Although the healthy cells may be reduced in size and strength for a time, they remain perfectly sound.

A. J. Carlson, Professor of Physiology, University of Chicago, states that a healthy, well-nourished man can live from 50 to 75 days without food, provided he is not exposed to harsh elements or emotional stress. Human fat is valued at 3,500 calories per pound. Each extra pound of fat will supply enough calories for one day of hard physical labor. Ten pounds of fat are equal to 35,000 calories! Most of us have sufficient reserves, capable of sustaining us for many weeks.

Rest is understood to be a big factor in enhancing recovery, as it is when the body is at rest that it is able to direct the most energy towards the various chemical and mechanical processes of detoxification. When fasting, a person experiences recovery at a rate that is swifter than normal. He is ridding his body of toxins and excesses; allowing the body to use its own wisdom to healthfully reorganize itself from the atomic level. As the toxic load is reduced, the functioning of every cell is enhanced. In the same way that vital nerve energy is accumulated during a night's sleep, the faster builds nerve energy through rest, sleep, and detoxification.

The human body has many ordinary modes of achieving elimination: the liver, lungs, kidneys, colon, etc. When these are overloaded, the body will resort to "extra ordinary" methods of elimination: boils, mucous and other discharges, sweats, vomiting, diarrhea, and many others. Should elimination be impossible or uneconomical of body energy, the toxic overload will go into storage forms in the joints, vessels, muscles, organs; almost any tissue in the body. While fasting, the body is highly conservative of its energy and resources. During this deep and profound rest, toxin intake and production are reduced to a minimum while autolysins and elimination proceed unchecked. Anabolic processes such as tissue and bone healing also proceed at a maximal rate during the fast.

In the body, the first stage of cleansing removes large quantities of waste matter and digestive residues. The first few days of a fast can be rough due to the quantity of waste passing into the blood stream. The tongue becomes coated and the breath foul as the body excretes waste through every opening. After the third day of the fast, there is little desire for food. The second stage is the cleansing of mucous, fat, diseased and dying cells, and the more easily removed toxins. As the fast continues, the cleansing process becomes more thorough. The last stage is the cleansing of toxins that have been accumulating in your cellular tissue from birth, and the microscopic tubes that carry vital elements to the brain. Cleansing of the last layer is only possible through a combination of juice fasting, water fasting, and a healthy diet high in raw foods. To overcome a severe disease like cancer, it is important to continue through a series of fasts, to the point where the full scouring action of catabolism removes the disease from the tissue.

During extended fasts the body removes: dead, dying and diseased cells; unwanted fatty tissue, trans-fatty acids, hardened coating of mucus on the intestinal wall; toxic waste matter in the lymphatic system and bloodstream; toxins in the spleen, liver and kidney; mucus from the lungs and sinuses, imbedded toxins in the cellular fibers and deeper organ tissues; deposits in the microscopic tubes responsible for nourishing brain cells and excess cholesterol.

Nearly everyone who fasts, discovers the same thing, that when they fast they actually have no hunger and more energy than they normally have. It is indeed liberating to find out that if we let go and trust that we will be taken care of. Fasting is the simplest, easiest and most effective way to find out that we do indeed have the power and freedom to heal and take control of our bodies.

http://www.falconblanco.com/health/fasting.htm#One Day Fast

shanebp1978

Super Moderator
Quick question. Do women lose water weight, like men do. I can run in the pool room and lose 5lbs of bullshit soda drinking, etc. In an hour.

Or does it take more, or less, or what?

An I will admit, I fuck up with the soda. AKA, POP.

:(:D

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
The best way to free your body of excess water gain or bloating is to drink water. Soda is like liquid candy...:(

Water retention(edema) is much different between men and women. Women tend to experience it around our menstural cycle, we feel bloated from water gain.

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Weightloss/retention.htm

GYH a consistent change in diet may eliminate even monthly bloat. I used to get really sick and bloated but after a course of acupuncture, TCM herbs, and a consistent elimination of refined sugars I have little to no discomfort before or during. If I do it is very very mild.

I'm not a big proponent of complete fasting or liquids only (this comes up quite a bit with my private practice clients) but I do think simplifying ones diet and staying hydrated are very benifical. Seasonally I try to do brown rice and steamed vegetables with olive oil and water only or a mild herbal tea for 1-2 weeks and its nice! I lose a little weight (not much I'm petite so my goal is actually more to retain lean body mass. I don't exercise hard core during this time just qi-gong and stretching) but I do feel much lighter and its a good way to break cravings.

Best to you! :)

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Thanks, I know it will work out, I will go on it completely by Friday, but I have already started to prepare myself.
Here is an interesting tid bit from the original article...

Human fat is valued at 3,500 calories per pound. Each extra pound of fat will supply enough calories for one day of hard physical labor. Ten pounds of fat are equal to 35,000 calories! Most of us have sufficient reserves, capable of sustaining us for many weeks.