Earthquake in the Caribbean...7.4

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
I first heard about it through my bajan massive. Wasnt on the news at all :smh: until now of course.
Anyways here is the story....

ROSEAU, Dominica - A powerful earthquake rocked the eastern Caribbean Thursday, sending office workers and shoppers on several islands fleeing into the streets. Minor injuries were reported on the island of Martinique.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 7.4 magnitude earthquake struck at 2 p.m. EST and was centered 26 miles southeast of Roseau, capital of Dominica, where the shaking lasted for about 20 seconds. The temblor was felt hundreds of miles away in Puerto Rico to the west, and Venezuela and Suriname to the south.

In the neighboring island of Martinique, a government official said police and firefighters were responding to hundreds of calls for help. He said some people sustained minor injuries, but no major casualties have been reported. The official declined to give his name in accordance with government policy.

The earthquake collapsed the roofs of a bank and a store in the capital of Martinique, Fort-de-France. Ambulances were called in.

"My house shook so hard I thought it was going to fall," said a caller to Radio Martinique who identified herself only as Fannie. "The door, the windows, everything shook."

The quake struck at a depth of 90 miles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Web site.

"I wouldn't expect major damage because the quake has some depth," said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said the quake was too deep to generate a destructive tsunami.

In Trinidad, the shaking sent workers streaming out of office towers into the streets of the capital, Port-of-Spain.

Thousands more ran outside in St. Maarten. Flight's at Princess Juliana International Airport were briefly suspended. In Guyana, lawmakers evacuated the South American country's parliament building.

The earthquake did not disrupt production at Trinidad's state-owned oil refinery, Petrotrin, which produces 160,000 barrels of refined gasoline, diesel and oil daily for domestic use and export to countries including the United States.

"We have not had any reports about breakdowns from our exploration and production fields," spokesman Arnold Corneal said. "We are still doing checks."

In St. Lucia, Julian Dubois, deputy director of the national emergency management organization, said the quake caused some panic and broke water lines but did not appear to cause severe damage. In the capital, Castries, people spoke of buildings swaying but not toppling. A glass door of one company was shattered.

St. Lucia resident Annie Ellis said the quake was the strongest she has experienced. "In all my years, I have never felt any earthquake so powerful," said the 100-year-old Ellis. "And it lasted such a long time."

In Antigua, islanders said the shaking lasted about 30 seconds.

"I haven't felt one like that in a while," said Jessie Kentish, a resident of the capital, St. John's. "It was a long time."

The temblor triggered a series of false quake alarms in California, with computers picking up energy coming out of the Caribbean and erroneously treating it as local seismic activity. The fake quakes began registering nine minutes after the Caribbean quake, USGS scientists said.

In September, a similar incident occurred when a massive earthquake struck off the Mariana Islands in the Pacific Ocean and triggered six false reports of quakes in California.
link here

bigirl

anti- voluntary ignorance
BGOL Investor
thanks for posting that. i would have had no clue. all my people safe thank god.

Alderuhen

International
International Member
I'm from french West Indies : Guadeloupe 971 . Basse Terre . Zouk love , c mizik an nou.
guadeloupe.gif

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
man am glad to hear that your ppl are safe BG and Alderuhen, I only knew because my friends IM'd me to let me know. :smh:
Spoke to my uncle and my grandfather and my uncle said he was driving home and felt the car start to rock thought for a minute that he had a flat. Stopped got out checked and looked up to see a whole bunch of people running out of the office building and banks in Speightstown. He tried calling home and my grandfather wouldnt answer so he kinda sped home right away and he was ok.
My grandfather thought for a moment that he was just having what we call "bad feels" otherwise nausea and had to hold on to something in order to walk.

So far only one death that I am aware of and it was a child in Guadeloupe.:( RIP lil one

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
no probs femme...

The AUSTRALIAN news reported this long before yahoo even had a hint of this :smh:

Poor lil ting. Be at peace

Girl killed in Guadeloupe earthquake

A strong earthquake measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale has killed a three-year-old girl, injured numerous people and caused widespread damage in Guadeloupe.

The fire and rescue service says the girl was crushed by a collapsed wall in Trois-Rivieres on the island Basse-Terre and died on her way to hospital, while her seven-year-old sister was in critical condition.

There were also numerous injuries and widespread property damage on Terre-de-Bas, one of the Saints islands, that are located just south of Basse-Terre, the French overseas department's main island.

The quake struck at 11:50 GMT with the seismological institutes in Guadeloupe and continental France putting its epicentre south of the Saints islands towards neighbouring Dominica, numerous aftershocks were recorded.

Most of Terre-de-Basse's 1,300 inhabitants had gathered on the field of the island's only stadium.

"People whose homes are intact don't want to go back to them and we are going to have to set up a tent village," a fire and rescue service officer said.

Many homes and public buildings suffered damage, with the church partially collapsing.

Alderuhen

International
International Member
Do my SOL ladies love the sweetness ? Let's dance sistas .
[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/dEG_ntNfO5Y[/flash]

They said that it measured up to 5 in the north on the radio but only 4 in B'town. All i knew that i was at work in the north and felt giddy at first. When i realised that everything was shaking i was running straight through the door. Left customers behind me and all. :smh: Never expected anything like that in Barbados.

A piece of the parliament building in B'town dropped off and landed on a vehicle and tiles of the Royal bank of canada building in B'town fell off and landed in the road and beside the building. No one was reported hurt.

A woman in Ellerton, St George lost part of her home when the earth caved in at the back of her house. A crack opened up in the ground and she lost her kitchen and part of the wall connecting it to the other parts of her house.

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
They said that it measured up to 5 in the north on the radio but only 4 in B'town. All i knew that i was at work in the north and felt giddy at first. When i realised that everything was shaking i was running straight through the door. Left customers behind me and all. :smh: Never expected anything like that in Barbados.

A piece of the parliament building in B'town dropped off and landed on a vehicle and tiles of the Royal bank of canada building in B'town fell off and landed in the road and beside the building. No one was reported hurt.

A woman in Ellerton, St George lost part of her home when the earth caved in at the back of her house. A crack opened up in the ground and she lost her kitchen and part of the wall connecting it to the other parts of her house.

AlexandMorgan you from de north? Or you just work? My bredren was telling me that the lady in St George house din even insure.
Seen the pics of the same house pon yahoo and the house doesnt even look like it had much of a foundation and my uncle tell me that it like it build pon just sand :smh:the housekeeper was lucky that she was in the front house. Holetown got the highest measurement was what the VOB radio station was saying.

Am glad that you are doing good though A&M....

Peace

I both live and work in the north and i will be honest and say i was looking up in the sky and listening for trumpets when i run outside.

That shit was freaky because the last time barbados has sumting so was in 1955 or sometime around then. You can check out www.cbc.bb to keep track of local events or www.nationnews.com i am not sure about the last one. But that woman house was a victim of our limestone cap. Water erodes it over the years and something like that will highlight the problem. People need to start putting proper septic systems in place and stop letting de wata run off because it will come back to haunt you.

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
I both live and work in the north and i will be honest and say i was looking up in the sky and listening for trumpets when i run outside.

That shit was freaky because the last time barbados has sumting so was in 1955 or sometime around then. You can check out www.cbc.bb to keep track of local events or www.nationnews.com i am not sure about the last one. But that woman house was a victim of our limestone cap. Water erodes it over the years and something like that will highlight the problem. People need to start putting proper septic systems in place and stop letting de wata run off because it will come back to haunt you.

how far north you be? I also dwell northside :yes: best place in de country no doubt.

Man one my bredren who is 6'5" tell me dat he did frighten if i could imagine he a man that big. I tell he the only thing that mattered was that he was irie.
But you so right about the septic and things like that. Bajans gotta learn to start recognizing man.

Praise Jah it was too deep to make a tsunami.

Gal dontcha know it. :smh: Give thx bless

Twistyaaliyah

Star
BGOL Investor
That shit was soo fuckin scary. I see people runnin out of their classes and i thought it was a fight going on.. and the rumbling was people running towards the fight and/or the people knockin about furniture or something. So im like shit? should i run? by the time i get there everything is gonna b finished so i stay where i was.

btw

I was on the top floor hanging with some frens on the corridors and the whole block just swayed and rocked. I dont even think i was conscious of wat was going on. I thought it was that bullshit lunch i bought from that guyanese restaurant that had me feeling faint.
Then this white girl fly out of one of the classes and holla fuh " Mind wunna rassholes" and bolted down the stairs. I ain even try ta figure out wdf happened... every shit was a blurr till i got outside of the school gates.Now i look back on it. I will never forget the way how the block had rocked.
People were also very scared because of the Brittons hill accident. For those who dont know it is when an apartment collapsed into a cave killing a family of 5 or 4(?). SO people was thinkin supose a hole open up and just swallowed shit.

And in bridgetown was bare chaos. Spent like 2 hrs tryin to get in a van ta get home. I did hear there was a huge crack in town somewhere.

BUTTT.. for some sick reason i did enjoy it. The adrenaline rush of runnin down 3 flights of stairs. Watchin people that didn't even want to walk from here to there ta buy food quickly transform into to track olympic athletes, GOsh! Then the excitment of people just tellin dem stories bout how dem 'fly down dem stairs hard as shyte', ' dah pregnant girl pass me out and i doan kno how she get dah do'.

Last edited:

bajanpimp

Support BGOL
Registered
i still hay
tings quiet bout hay, bajans ain accustomed to nuttin so , so this lil tremor is a big rasshole deal to we, friday is a bank and nobody ain out liming or nuttin tonight, usually the day b4 independence day ppl does be liming but it quiet

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
That shit was soo fuckin scary. I see people runnin out of their classes and i thought it was a fight going on.. and the rumbling was people running towards the fight and/or the people knockin about furniture or something. So im like shit? should i run? by the time i get there everything is gonna b finished so i stay where i was.

btw

I was on the top floor hanging with some frens on the corridors and the whole block just swayed and rocked. I dont even think i was conscious of wat was going on. I thought it was that bullshit lunch i bought from that guyanese restaurant that had me feeling faint.
Then this white girl fly out of one of the classes and holla fuh " Mind wunna rassholes" and bolted down the stairs. I ain even try ta figure out wdf happened... every shit was a blurr till i got outside of the school gates.Now i look back on it. I will never forget the way how the block had rocked.
People were also very scared because of the Brittons hill accident. For those who dont know it is when an apartment collapsed into a cave killing a family of 5 or 4(?). SO people was thinkin supose a hole open up and just swallowed shit.

And in bridgetown was bare chaos. Spent like 2 hrs tryin to get in a van ta get home. I did hear there was a huge crack in town somewhere.

Twisty muh girl ah glad that you good yes. Seems de whole west indies was in shock. My grandfather said de same ting bout Brittons Hill. It was 4 Mother, father and the 3 children. I was in Bim when that happen too. So I know how bajans would definitely think de very very worse of it.
But like I said am happy that yall made it out safe.

Peace

Oh and who teaching white girls to cuss like bajans....:lol::lol:

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
i still hay
tings quiet bout hay, bajans ain accustomed to nuttin so , so this lil tremor is a big rasshole deal to we, friday is a bank and nobody ain out liming or nuttin tonight, usually the day b4 independence day ppl does be liming but it quiet

well i would know dat. Quiet independence I guess fuh every body. Wunna can party again dis weekend :yes: Cause nothin keeps bajans down for too long.

Twistyaaliyah

Star
BGOL Investor
Twisty muh girl ah glad that you good yes. Seems de whole west indies was in shock. My grandfather said de same ting bout Brittons Hill. It was 4 Mother, father and the 3 children. I was in Bim when that happen too. So I know how bajans would definitely think de very very worse of it.
But like I said am happy that yall made it out safe.

Peace

Oh and who teaching white girls to cuss like bajans....:lol::lol:

people was also talkin bout kick-um-jenni.

ah woman was pon d radio talkin about ' repent from wunna sins'

Man it doan take them long ta learn ya know. Accent and all.

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
people was also talkin bout kick-um-jenni.

ah woman was pon d radio talkin about ' repent from wunna sins'

Man it doan take them long ta learn ya know. Accent and all.

lol man i can imagine de repent and guh church n pray dat wunna gonna be hearing den. Every preacher dis sunday coming gonna make this occurance dem template for the sermon.

I guess de white girls gotta fit in somehow yes

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
Thank goodness that the SOL family and relatives are safe.

How often does an earthquake occur in the Caribbean, because this is my first time hearing something like happening in the West Indies.??????

bigirl

BGOL Investor
Thank goodness that the SOL family and relatives are safe.

How often does an earthquake occur in the Caribbean, because this is my first time hearing something like happening in the West Indies.??????

Not too often at all at least not big ones. We are on a fault line though so small ones that nobody can really feel happen from time to time. Thats what keeps setting off the volcano in Montseratt is the tiny lil earthquakes.

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
Not too often at all at least not big ones. We are on a fault line though so small ones that nobody can really feel happen from time to time. Thats what keeps setting off the volcano in Montseratt is the tiny lil earthquakes.

thas crazy I never knew that. Did it damage your family's house?

bigirl

BGOL Investor
thas crazy I never knew that. Did it damage your family's house?

Well where I'm from is around 80 miles from there. The first time the volcano blew about 1/2 inch of ash fell in my country. We had never ever seen that before in life and had no clue what was happening until it came on the radio later. The sky and sea looked creepy and evil. All the christians were flipping thought it was judgement day it was actually kind of funny. The only damage we really had is that we all had to spend the rest of that day sweeping up ash and it was lingering in the air there was no breeze so it was a little funny breathing. We couldn't go in the sea for a few days either and it looked grey like the water in the states. I swept up a whole pail of ash and looking at it realized it was mica like and experimented and blew them with glass into beads that got all sparkly like diamonds from the ash. Then I made a collection called tragedy to treasure to benefit the people from Montserratt who mostly lost everything and had to relocate. Subsequent eruptions have been much smaller.

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator

and never that long my girl in Antigua was telling me she's felt them before but they had never lasted that long that when she got scared.

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
If it ain't hurricanes its earthquakes. dem nice places on earth
gotta be cursed with some shit.

Do not know anybody named meagan. Wait i do but i aint hear she in a long while. We aint close so that is normal.

Lady Scorpio i live in the Prime minister's neglected parish. Glad to see everybody still up and around.

Sad to hear someone died as a result of this unexpected event though.:smh: Anything can happen anywhere these days. 166 square miles means we cannot take much though. People did say that parked vehicles were dancing though and pools were spilling water over the edges.

Sadly a few people were trampled though but noone i have heard have any major injuries.

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
Do not know anybody named meagan. Wait i do but i aint hear she in a long while. We aint close so that is normal.

Lady Scorpio i live in the Prime minister's neglected parish. Glad to see everybody still up and around.

Sad to hear someone died as a result of this unexpected event though.:smh: Anything can happen anywhere these days. 166 square miles means we cannot take much though. People did say that parked vehicles were dancing though and pools were spilling water over the edges.

Sadly a few people were trampled though but noone i have heard have any major injuries.

Man de head of CERO get trample in Swan Street :smh: go figure apparently now pon sick leave because of it.

Peace

PS.....HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY. to my Bajan massive