Conspiracy Theory: Did Katt Williams just reveal the REAL reason Chappelle left?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

<script height="397px" width="705px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=4a1aba36a098421cb720b9aa34222ef8&ec=43OTd4bjrZy7Dehb5r2oLfGjV0cxIm9f"></script>

@ 3:00

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
OK he messed up with the Africa description :lol: but concentrate more on the contract negotiation part.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Despite, or perhaps because of, the uncertain future of Chappelle's Show, the release of the show's second season on DVD set sales records. Chappelle's Show: Season Two became the fastest-selling DVD set in history upon its release, notching one-day sales of 500,000 and first-week sales of 1.2 million.
The third season of Chappelle's Show was put on indefinite hold following the disappearance of its star, Dave Chappelle, earlier this year. Chappelle turned up several days later in South Africa and then went home to his family farm in Ohio.
Chappelle's Show: Season Two surpassed sales of DVD sets from the shows Seinfeld and The Simpsons. The first season of Chappelle's Show remains the top-selling DVD set, with 3 million units sold.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Chappelle: Laughing all the way to the bank
By Gary Levin, USA TODAY

In what could be the biggest talent deal in basic-cable history, comedian Dave Chappelle has re-upped with Comedy Central for two more seasons of Chappelle's Show and will get a hefty cut of its DVD sales.

chappellesshow-inside.jpg
"I'm not sure, but I believe there is a clause that gives me reparations for slavery," jokes Dave Chappelle about his lucrative new contract.
Comedy Central

Total: at least $35 million.

Though The Daily Show With Jon Stewart has won more notice this election season, Chappelle is Comedy Central's biggest hit since South Park. Renewing it was the channel's top priority.

The show's 10-episode second season averaged 3.1 million viewers in the spring, boosting Wednesday companions South Park to its biggest audience in years and The Daily Show to record highs.

And the first-season DVD is this year's top TV title, with 1.8 million units racking up retail sales of $43.5 million, according to Video Business.

The renewal, capping months of negotiations, comes after rival FX made its own lucrative offer to lure Chappelle, 30. He'll be paid about $5 million per season, the same range as Stewart's yearly salary.

But the big payoff is in DVD: Comedy agreed to make him an equal partner in profits of past and future sales, say those familiar with the negotiations.

"The deal made it very hard to say no," Chappelle says. "I'm not sure, but I believe there is a clause that gives me reparations for slavery."

Comedy Central original-programming chief Lauren Corrao says the renewal was a no-brainer: "We had to have it, no question about it. Dave represents everything that works for our network: He's provocative, he's edgy, he's smart and he's incredibly funny."

Corrao, who declined comment on terms, says Chappelle and executive producer Neal Brennan "deserve to profit from it as well as we do."

Chappelle's Show combines stand-up comedy with biting character sketches infused with racial humor. Among the most memorable: A send-up of singer Rick James' battles with Eddie Murphy's brother, Charlie, and another in which comedian Wayne Brady's appeal is explained by the notion "he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X." (A game Brady later appeared on the show.)

After years of failed sitcom pilots, "Chappelle's Show is easily the best job I've ever had in this industry," the comedian says. "Comedy Central gave me an opportunity to keep what's unique about myself intact. This is a lot more fun."

The renewal includes two more 10-episode seasons, plus two "best of" clip shows and a musical special each year. The new season is expected early next year, along with the second-season DVD. Chappelle also has a movie pact with Paramount, and he stars in a special Sept. 4 on Showtime.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
'Show' Business

chappelles_show-show.jpg

New ''Chappelle'' DVD is fastest-selling TV disc ever. The long-awaited Season 2 DVD of ''Chappelle's Show'' sold 500,000 copies its first day and 1.2 million its first week

Dave Chappelle may have gone AWOL from the production of the third season of Comedy Central's Chappelle's Show, but the comic began earning his $50 million last week when the second season's DVD package went on sale.

According to Paramount Home Entertainment, Chappelle's Show: Season 2 Uncensored is selling faster than you can say, ''I'm Rick James, bitch!'' In fact, the distributor says, since Season 2 hit shelves a week ago, it has surpassed Seinfeld: The Complete Fourth Season to become the fastest-selling TV-series-to-DVD set ever.

The May 24 release set a single-day record of 500,000 in sales, while the first-week figure is an unprecedented 1.2 million.

Chappelle's Show: Season 1 Uncensored is the top-selling TV-to-DVD set ever, with nearly 3 million copies sold since its release in Feb. 2004. ''Based on the popularity of the first Chappelle DVD, we were confident that Season 2 would sell well,'' Comedy Central president Doug Herzog said in a statement, ''but these figures are just unbelievable and have far exceeded our wildest expectations.'' Of course, with the future of Chappelle's Show in doubt, fans may have snapped up the new set because it could be their last chance to see the celebrated sketch show.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Chappelles/2338

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
the dave chappelle part sounds credible..youre never going to make as much as your boss or the person who writes the checks.

if they can give you 50 million then you must have generated 500 million.:smh:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
gotdam,

see how cacs do, they just want to leech

off our creativity then claim superiority..

muthafucka made half a billion, and they threw him a bone for his OWN work...

the chains are gone, but he slave system is still intact...

Black Radical

Rising Star
Registered
I know his reasons were not purely financial, but he couldve and still could create his own show, shoot it, pay for it, and get it put on netflix, HBO or anywhere else and cake the fuck off.

attested

Support BGOL
Registered
Not getting paid for your fair share and stirring the direction of the show away from you.

At least one or two people quit a show once a year over that. Or drop out of a movie sequel too.

Dave just did what people do all the time.

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
I know his reasons were not purely financial, but he couldve and still could create his own show, shoot it, pay for it, and get it put on netflix, HBO or anywhere else and cake the fuck off.

You'd be surprised how trivial and vindictive some of the most powerful fucks can be. I saw it in hip hop 25 years ago, when some of the old school artists could not get record deals, or were offered shit to tour with some of the then big acts.

Dave told them fuck off, and the big hitters don't want anybody fucking up the status quo.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

times were a lil diff 10 yrs ago..may not have been as internet savy or aware of the internet potential...but i do see what ur saying

kenbgco68

Rising Star
Registered
So Comedy Central violated a signed, legally binding contract entitling him to 50% of the revenues? :dunno:

I wouldn't put it past CACs, but if that was it, he shoulda sued the fuck out of them, not fly to Africa and not mention Comedy Central's fuckery in any interviews. Sounds like he signed a fucked up contract (cuz he was desperate after 19 pilots) that 'might' have given him between 10% and 50% of DVD revenues, CC chose the 10% and DC bounced.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
So Comedy Central violated a signed, legally binding contract entitling him to 50% of the revenues? :dunno:

I wouldn't put it past CACs, but if that was it, he shoulda sued the fuck out of them, not fly to Africa and not mention Comedy Central's fuckery in any interviews. Sounds like he signed a fucked up contract (cuz he was desperate after 19 pilots) that 'might' have given him between 10% and 50% of DVD revenues, CC chose the 10% and DC bounced.

Generally on media sales, you get between 8-15% in a standard recording deal. It should be different for TV, but we would need to see the actual contact to verify it.

ElBarrio

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

NOW YOU TALKIN' BROTHER.:yes:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Generally on media sales, you get between 8-15% in a standard recording deal. It should be different for TV, but we would need to see the actual contact to verify it.

But like I brought up in the original thread Comedy Central was completely unprepared for the sales/demand of that DVD TV set...

before that these type of sets weren't selling like that

remember this is the BEGINNING.

Soon after SNL had the Lazy Sunday skit go viral and NBC was like :eek:

realize HULU, Amazon and streaming services from networks really started OFF that

and the Chapelle show was RIGHT in that.

The writers strike was off getting a cut of the online media too...

that's why I think there is SOME validity to Katt's words.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
no paved roads or water in all of africa...dude say some smart shit then turn around and say some dumb ass shit

anyway...new kings of comedy...chappelle rock kevin + katt...book it :dance:

Kwame Coltrane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
dave stated out of his mouth numerous times why he left the show. I doubt 10 yrs later that Katt has some profound insight especially since he seems to think the continent of africa only has dirt roads and no running water. Thats some ignorant coon shit right there

attested

Support BGOL
Registered
According to Forbes

No. 9: Daniel Tosh (tie)
$11 million

The host of Comedy Central’s "Tosh.0" may not have the star power of his network colleagues, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, but Tosh and his weekly Internet roundup show do outdraw them in the ratings. And when the comedian isn’t on your TV set, he’s probably infiltrating your other screens, as Tosh also has the list’s biggest social media following

Chappelle was due
http://www.mtv.com/news/1523197/dave-chappelle-comes-clean-on-oprah/

Chappelle said he left the show, months after signing a $50 million deal for its third and fourth seasons, because he felt manipulated by the people around him.
----------------------------------

25 million a season is good be he probably worth at least 50 million or more a season to them. His show is still on Comedy Central in a prime time slot and he hasnt had a new show in 10 years. He could have asked for 8-10 million a episode with complete control if he wanted to.

Sampson

Rising Star
Registered
gotdam,

see how cacs do, they just want to leech

off our creativity then claim superiority..

muthafucka made half a billion, and they threw him a bone for his OWN work...

the chains are gone, but he slave system is still intact...

This is why I always instill an entrepreneur mindset amongst my younger apprentices. Be your own boss, sign your own checks. Don't let anyone else make more than you for your own talent. We've seen it happen to our music, actors, comedians, sports stars. We have all the talent be seem to always have little to show financially for it.