Brothas that cook

mylife134

Support BGOL
Registered
Ribeye steak.....seasoned with lemon pepper, italian seasoning, & seasoning salt. coated with a mixture of louisiana red pepper marinade w/ lemon, red wine vinegar, and honey bbq sauce.

that shit will make u slap the fuck outta everybody in your immediate family....starting with the elders.:lol::lol:

will try it my brother thanks:dance:

is there a software program that i can use to make a official cookbook??? do anyone know any?

curryshotta

Rising Star
Registered
I didn't know they ate roti and curry in the West Indies. I thought it was just a Pakistani thing. Good to see our food traveling the world. :yes:

Peeps in the west indies love roti.

Especially trinis and guyanese

I'm from barbados and we destroy roti on the regular as well

Rocky Miavia

LORD OF THE BOARD
BGOL Investor
2681199007_4c643ea751.jpg

Italian style...

nu_work

Rising Star
Registered
Another fav recipe of mines enjoy ninjas

Take your pick

Lamb Shanks in Red Wine

you need:
4 Lamb Shanks (trimmed)
1 cup Red Wine
1 cup Beef or Lamb stock
1/2 cup roughly cut carrots
1/2 cup roughly cut onions
1/2 cup roughly cut celery
2 cloves garlic
1 sprig fresh Thyme
1 sprig fresh Rosemary
2T tomato paste
2T plain flour
1/4 cup cooking oil

Method:
1. Put half the oil in a heavy based pan and cook lamb shanks until well sealed and brown.
2. Remove from pan then add the rest of the oil and cook vegies until brown.
3. Add tomato paste, garlic and flour to pan and cook slowly to brown.
4. Add red wine and beef or lamb stock - slowly stir to avoid lumps.
5. Cover pan and cook at 180 degree celsius for 1.5 - 2 hours until tender and falling off the bone.
6. Skim sauce and reduce slightly to thicken (if necessary).
7. Place 2 shanks on the plate and over with sauce.
8. Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed vegies.

Slow baked lamb shanks with red wine jus and caramelised onions

You need:

Lamb Shanks

8 lamb shanks
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
11/2 cups dry red wine
2 cups beef stock
3 cloves garlic crushed

Caramelised Onions

40g butter
2 medium red onions sliced thinly
1/4 cup brown sugar

Method:

Lamb Shanks
Pre heat oven to slow
Heat oil in large flameproof baking dish
Cook shanks till browned all over
Stir in sugar, wine, stock and garlic and bring to boil

Transfer the lamb slowly to oven, roast and cover for 4 hours
Turning twice during cooking
Remove lamb from dish, cover to keep warm, Pour Liquids into medium saucepan and simmer until reduced by 1/3

Caramelised Onions
Melt butter in medium saucepan, cook onion stirring about 15 minutes or until browned and soft
Stir in sugar and cook stirring about 15 minutes or until onion is caramelised

Lamb Shanks Braised in Red Wine

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

6 lamb shanks, about 1 1/4 pounds each
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons crushed black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups dry red wine (about 1 bottle)
2 heads garlic, halved crosswise
4 ribs celery, cut into large dice
4 carrots, cut into large dice
1 large onion, peeled, cut into about 8 wedges
1 cup thickly sliced mushrooms (about 4)
Five 3-inch sprigs fresh rosemary

RECIPE METHOD

Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Season the shanks with salt and pepper. In a large, high-sided ovenproof pot, heat the oil until barely smoking. Sear the shanks in batches on all sides until golden brown. Put all the shanks in the pot; add the peppercorns, bay leaves, stock, wine, garlic, celery, carrots, onion, and mushrooms. Put the pot in the oven and cook, turning the shanks every 1/2 hour, until the meat is very tender but still on the bone, about 2 hours. (If making ahead, refrigerate the shanks and cooking liquid separately. Before reheating, remove the fat from the liquid. Put the shanks and the liquid in a covered roasting pan in a 400 degrees oven for about 20 min.)

Remove the shanks and some mushrooms and onions and cover them with foil. Strain the braising liquid into a medium saucepan, degrease carefully, and simmer gently until its flavor is intensified and its volume is reduced by about a third. Serve the shanks on top of the Roasted Garlic and White Bean Puree; ladle the sauce over the lamb. Serve some of the mushrooms and onions on the side.

:dance:

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Baked Penne Pasta with Meatballs. My personal favorite.

:yes:

IMG_6110.JPG

Mushroom Marinara:

* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
* 6 oz of button or cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
* 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
* 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
* 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
* 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
* 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
* 1 tsp white sugar
* 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
* Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute until tender; add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds, stirring frequently. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for at least 2 hours.

IMG_6102.JPG

Meatballs:

* 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
* 7 button mushrooms, diced finely
* 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
* 1/4 cup of Italian style breadcrumbs
* 1 clove of garlic, minced
* 1 egg
* 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
* 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
* 1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
* Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
* 1 tsp olive oil (for cooking)

IMG_6089.JPG

Put the onions, garlic and mushrooms in a food processor to chop, otherwise chop them as small as you can. Combine all ingredients (except for olive oil) together gently. Form into small meatballs and set aside. Once the meatballs are prepared. Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Cook the meatballs until golden brown on all sides. Remove from skillet and place the cooked meatballs in the mushroom marinara.

IMG_6100.JPG

Penne Pasta:

* Penne pasta, prepared per instructions
* 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded
* 1 tbsp fresh basil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the pasta per instructions and drain. Pour the pasta into the sauce with the meatballs. Add the fresh basil and cheese - reserving a bit for the top, then mix VERY gently. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

IMG_6106.JPG

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
I like to grill a Salmon on a plank, lemon pepper, butter, rosemary, with a pinch of garlic.

If it's on da grill I can make it work.

:yes::yes::yes: when on business in seattle, i had REAL cedar plank salmon cooked at the Seastar Restaurant by Chef John Howie.

absolutely awesome. http://www.plankcooking.com/

Shrimp Etouffee
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped green bell peppers
2 cups chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
1 quart shrimp stock
3 pounds medium shrimp (21 to 25 count per pound), peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
Steamed white rice, for serving
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion tops, for garnish
Directions

Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the flour and stir continuously to make a roux. Stir the roux over medium heat until the color of peanut butter, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic to the roux, and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the pot and season with the bay leaves, salt, cayenne, and 1 tablespoon of the Essence. Cook the tomatoes for 2 to 3 minutes and then whisk in the shrimp stock.

Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook the etouffee, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Season the shrimp with the remaining tablespoon of Essence and add them to the pot, stirring to evenly distribute. Cook the shrimp for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are cooked through. Add the chopped parsley to the pot and stir to combine.

Serve immediately over steamed white rice and garnish with sliced green onion tops.

Not the exact shrimp recipe i use from Emeril, but close enough.
I got a lot of shit from Yan can cook that was hand written when i was kid,
ingredients, please ^^^^

born and raised on da bayou of south louisiana... thx for the recipe, but around here, if you put tomato in your etoufee, it might set-off a civil war.

we don't put no tomato in dat etoufee, my brother. :smh::smh::smh:

you spend the extra money and buy you some crawfish fat instead.

Last edited:

Lord_IRON

BGOL VET
Registered
Baked Penne Pasta with Meatballs. My personal favorite.

:yes:

IMG_6106.JPG

i gotta try this shit!! shit looks hella good!!

somethin' i make for the fam is Brown Stew Chicken...it's made a million different ways, but this is how I make it.

season chicken however way you want to.

coat big pot with olive oil
throw in some diced onions and seer them shits
add some brown sugar and caramel them shits
add some browning seasoning and ketchup...sautee (spl) that shit
add the chicken and some bell peppers and some thyme and let that shit simmer covered on low-med for about 35 mins.
add some peeled lil' red potatos and let that shit go for another 25 mins on low.

shit goes good with some fried dumplings and red kool-aid!!! :lol::lol:

JCharades

Star
Registered
shit i make a mean bay scallop primavera. Roasted chicken with light red wine vinaigrette glaze. Spinach and feta cheese turkey burgers. Sometimes i like to experiment but most do pastas like a angel hair Fettuccine/Parmesan Alfredo with with chicken cutlet or turkey and mixed veggies. Trying to back up off the red meat though i picked up two thick ass porterhouse steaks that i gave a Jack Daniel's Honey Teriyaki marinade overnight after tenderizing and a dry rub with some spices onion, green & red peppers with ground garlic and parsley. At least a two night prep before I took them out on the grill. I have no real specialty really, it depends on the season. I wind up making thing like shrimp kabobs jamaican jerked or cajun style.

Funniest thing to me is that the women I've date never or hardly cook so they get at least one meal out of me if they're worth it. Seeing that be the case, I cook like this when I have time for myself or for family gatherings. People at work be asking what restaurant i picked that at because they dont believe in a brother being able to burn like that.

Last edited:

yourreplacement

Rising Star
OG Investor
born and raised on da bayou of south louisiana... thx for the recipe, but around here, if you put tomato in your etoufee, it might set-off a civil war.

we don't put no tomato dat etoufee, my brother. :smh::smh::smh:

you spend the extra money and buy you some crawfish fat instead.

you cats better pay attention when some truth is being told to you

The usual staple of an étouffée is seafood such as crawfish, shrimp, or crabmeat. Other meats, such as chicken, or a combination of chicken and seafood, are also used.

The base of an étouffée is either a dark brown-red roux, a blonde roux (a roux that isn't browned as much) or simply onions cooked down in butter. It is usually seasoned with cayenne pepper, onions, green bell pepper and celery (a.k.a. the holy trinity), garlic, and salt and has a thicker consistency than gumbo. A crawfish étouffée, if made with a roux, usually has a reddish color sometimes attributed to crawfish fat (an important ingredient), which is untrue. Crawfish fat is bright yellow, and will not color the dish red. The red color comes from the dark brown-red roux. Seasonings the crawfish were boiled in could also give the dish a red tint. There is typically no tomato in this dish. However, in some areas it has become popular to add tomatoes or tomato paste to the dish. However, most purists believe that once tomatoes are added, the dish ceases to be a true étouffée, and instead becomes a stew or a creole. In many parts of the country, outside of Louisiana, people make étouffée with cream; however, cream should never be part of a true étouffée.
053107-crayfishetouffee.jpg

Shrimp Etouffee

1½ hours | 20 min prep

SERVES 4 -6
3 tablespoons flour
6 tablespoons butter or shortening or oil
1 cup onion, chopped
6 green onions with tops, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped (optional)
2 cups water
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon tony chacherie's cajun seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined
1.Make a roux with the flour and butter by heating the butter and stirring in the flour.
2.On medium low cook the roux until it turns a rich chocolate brown. This will take awhile, maybe 45 minutes to get it right. You don't want it to burn or you can't use it.
3.Keep an eye on it but you don't have to stand over the pot the whole time.
4.When roux is ready:.
5.Add all of the veggies and cook until tender.
6.Stir in the water slowly. When combined with the roux add the parsley, shrimp and seasonings. Cook another 15-20 minutes or until shrimp are done, they will turn pink or red when done. Remove bay leaf. Taste seasonings--you may need to add salt.
7.Serve over hot cooked rice. Now this is when you add a pinch or two of gumbo filet'. You may want to add a splash of Louisiana hot sauce too. I always do. Gumbo filet' is actually sassafras root or bark. I was taught that it is added to your plate and not cooked in with the food.

yourreplacement

Rising Star
OG Investor
Barbecued Shrimp

30 min | 10 min prep

SERVES 6
3 slices bacon, diced
1/2 lb butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons crab boil seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or hot sauce
1 1/2 lbs large shrimp, in the shell
1.Preheat oven to 375°F.
2.In a frying pan, fry bacon until clear.
3.Add margarine and all other ingredients except shrimp.
4.Simmer for 5 minutes.
5.Place shrimp, in a single layer, in a baking dish and pour sauce over the top.
6.Stir to coat.
7.Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
8.Stir once or twice.
9.Serve immediately.
10.You can peel these when you eat them, but not before.

yourreplacement

Rising Star
OG Investor
Baked Stuffed Shrimp with Crabmeat Stuffing

1½ hours | 1 hour prep

20 Shrimp
1 lb fresh lump crabmeat, shells removed (or 2 cans of canned crabmeat if fresh isn't available)
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning or Old Bay Seasoning (or to taste) (optional)
4 tablespoons butter, plus
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/4 cup celery, minced
1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 cup buttery cracker, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 lbs u- 12 shrimp or jumbo shrimp, shelled,deveined,and butterflied
1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2.Line your baking dish with foil, and butter or spray with non stick cooking spray.
3.Place the crabmeat in a large bowl and season with the Cajun Seasoning, Old Bay or salt and pepper, (your choice).
4.Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
5.In your fry pan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
6.Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
7.Add the parsley and the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
8.Remove from heat and let cool.
9.Add the cooled vegetables to the crabmeat and toss to combine.
10.Add the mayonnaise, egg, lemon juice, Worcestershire and hot sauce and stir gently.
11.Add 1 cup of cracker crumbs, salt and pepper to taste, and stir gently, being careful not to break up the crabmeat.
12.Spoon the crabmeat stuffing evenly into each shrimp (about 2 Tbsp), and place, stuffed sides up, in your baking dish.
13.Drizzle with the remaining melted butter.
14.Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.

yourreplacement

Rising Star
OG Investor
Salmon With Bourbon and Brown Sugar Glaze

20 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 4
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 lbs salmon steaks (4)
1/3 cup bourbon
1.Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
2.Stir in brown sugar.
3.Place salmon fillets on top of mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
4.Turn salmon, and pour bourbon around the fillets.
5.Continue cooking for 5 minutes or until fish tests done with a fork.
6.Serve salmon with the glaze spooned on top.

yourreplacement

Rising Star
OG Investor
Baked Stuffed Pork Chops and Pan Gravy

2ÂĽ hours | 15 min prep

SERVES 6

Stuffing
4 slices day old bread, trimmed of some crust, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Chops
6 pork chops, 1 1/2-inch thick (each about 3/4 pound)
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup apple juice or white wine or apple cider
1.Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium high heat and saute the chopped onion and celery, stirring, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Gently stir in bread cubes. Add parsley, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, marjoram and pepper; toss lightly to combine. Set aside.
2.Preheat oven to 350°F Trim excess fat from chops, reserving the fat. Using a sharp paring knife, cut a pocket in each chop, all the way to the rib. Fill each pocket with 1/4 cup stuffing; fasten together with a couple of toothpicks.
3.Mix together the 1/4 cup flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Lightly coat the pork chops on both sides with flour mixture, reserving remaining seasoned flour for gravy.
4.Heat 2 tablespoons butter and reserved pork fat in a large skillet. Over low heat, cooking 3 at a time, brown chops well on both sides, turning with tongs, 8-10 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove each batch of browned chops to paper towels.
5.Pour off fat from skillet, and add apple juice, white wine, cider or a combo of liquids to skillet. Stir over medium heat to dissolve browned bits. Pour into the bottom of roasting pan. Stand chops bone-side down in bottom of pan. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven 1 hour.
6.Uncover and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove chops to platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
7.Optional Gravy: Over medium heat boil drippings, uncovered, until reduced to 1 cup. Dissolve reserved flour mixture in 1/2 cup of water. Add to drippings and bring to a boil, stirring; simmer 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Strain if necessary. Serve with chops.

Wobble Wobble

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Very nice. :yes:

Hey, isn't Guyana in South America? But it's considered the Caribbean no?

Why Venezuela isn't the Caribbean as well? Seems closer. :dunno:

Let's put it this way, Guyana is one of two English speaking "countries" in South America (the Falklands is the other) and is the only one actually on the continent. It doesn't actually touch the Caribbean Sea, but it's people consider themselves West Indian due to its cultural ties.

Yes, it's bordered by Venezuela - which both touches the Caribbean Sea AND the Atlantic ocean.

Just realise that in Spain, they call all of the islands "the West Indies" too. The Hispanic countries (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Domincan Republic) were considered the Spanish West Indies, while the French speaking ones were The French West Indies and so on for the Dutch and Danish islands.

Now let me get radical: Apart from minor differences, there is a movement to consider them all culturally the same - the "Repeating Island theory". When the English speaking islands and Guyana combine to create a West Indian team, it was the first attempt at a federal system - and it's only remnant. Frankly, I'd like to see that spirit continued so that we can put a West Indian Olympic team together. Can you imagine a Bajan handing off to a Trini to a Cuban who hands off to Bolt in the men's 4X100?

Anyway, DJCandle who wrote "I didn't know they ate roti and curry in the West Indies. I thought it was just a Pakistani thing. Good to see our food traveling the world."

The roti is South Asian (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) that was brought to the English Speaking West Indies by indentured servants. And while there is great racial division between the Afro and Indo population - and even intermixture, LOL - even the most militant blacks eat roti.

Yours sincerely, Wobble Wobble - pan-West Indian.

Now if I could just get some decent fly fish in Minnesota...

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Easy Turkey "Steak" recipe:

Turkey Cutlets

All you need:
Pound TURKEY BREAST CUTLETS
lemon pepper seasonings
freshly squeezed lemon juice
Worcestershire sauce
Dijon mustard

Season both sides of turkey cutlets with lemon pepper. Place turkey in hot skillet with little oil and saute for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until golden.
Mix 2parts worcesterchire to 1part dijon mustard and juice of half lemon. Add to pan with cutlets and simmer on low for a few minutes.

---------

Up these recipes fellas:

"Homemade banana-walnut or banana-pecan bread. I make it quite often at work and it's a fan-fave"

"Sweet Potato Biscuits"

curry turkey wit carrots $ potato's... for those that dont eat chicken.....

BadDebt

Star
Registered

Both of you guys gimme a day or so to get that recipe, I have to go thru some junk and find it, and I'm doing some Hardware changes to my "rig" so I'll be on and offline for the next day or so.

When you tried to do that Recipe with Pineapple, you should have let the Pineapple drain in a "fine Collander" suspended over a large mixing bowl overnight in the Fridge for at least 24 hrs. to let gravity drain all the Liquid out of the pineapple, even if you try and squeeze the pineapple out it will still contain too much liquid to BAKE with.

I almost always drain my pineapple for at least 24 hrs before I try to BAKE with it.

OK .. I'll try it this week. Is that the general rule when adding to a flour mixture?

Last edited:

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Let's put it this way, Guyana is one of two English speaking "countries" in South America (the Falklands is the other) and is the only one actually on the continent. It doesn't actually touch the Caribbean Sea, but it's people consider themselves West Indian due to its cultural ties.

Yes, it's bordered by Venezuela - which both touches the Caribbean Sea AND the Atlantic ocean.

Just realise that in Spain, they call all of the islands "the West Indies" too. The Hispanic countries (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Domincan Republic) were considered the Spanish West Indies, while the French speaking ones were The French West Indies and so on for the Dutch and Danish islands.

Now let me get radical: Apart from minor differences, there is a movement to consider them all culturally the same - the "Repeating Island theory". When the English speaking islands and Guyana combine to create a West Indian team, it was the first attempt at a federal system - and it's only remnant. Frankly, I'd like to see that spirit continued so that we can put a West Indian Olympic team together. Can you imagine a Bajan handing off to a Trini to a Cuban who hands off to Bolt in the men's 4X100?

Anyway, DJCandle who wrote "I didn't know they ate roti and curry in the West Indies. I thought it was just a Pakistani thing. Good to see our food traveling the world."

The roti is South Asian (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) that was brought to the English Speaking West Indies by indentured servants. And while there is great racial division between the Afro and Indo population - and even intermixture, LOL - even the most militant blacks eat roti.

Yours sincerely, Wobble Wobble - pan-West Indian.

Now if I could just get some decent fly fish in Minnesota...

I'm learning good things here. :yes:

I also recently found out that not only roti, but parata, naan, kulcha naan, phulka, tandoori, all can be found in the West Indies as well.

I'm bout to take a trip to Trinidad and kick it. :dance:

BadDebt

Star
Registered
alot of them guyanese chicks can cook my brother :yes:
and got some goooooooood pussy :yes:

ask for the recipe my brother please---

They seriously do...

I remember when I was "OUT THERE" I was with what I thought was a nice red bone sista and she turned out to be Guyanese...

She could cook and Man I just remember after sexing once I thought I was gonna drop a tear her stuff was really that good man...

Any way she was seeing me and the local store owner, and I wasn't Having it...

I forgot all about her until you mentioned nationality...

She is definate in the top five beaver pleasures I've had...

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BUMP THIS THREAD!

With the wealth of knowledge about food and nutrition on here, should really look into getting a dedicated forum.

Studio718

Rising Star
Platinum Member
let me add a little Suriname ( Dutch guyana ) flava.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4-6

INGREDIENTS:

* 64 oz. water
* 1 lb. shank
* 2 stems cellery
* 5 grains pimento
* 1 fresh whole pepper
* 4 oz. pickled meat (option: smoked - or dried fish)*
* 3 - 4 cubes bouillon (depending on the individuel taste)
* 2 medium cassavas (about 1 lb.), cut into bite - size cubes
* 1 small whole union
10. coconut milk (option) for a smooth texture.

METHOD / DIRECTIONS:

1. Boil the water for ten minutes together with the shank. (take away any foam that occurs).
2. Add to this, the unsalted pickled meat, the whole onion, cellery stems, pimento grains, the whole pepper (do not pierce!), and the cassava.
3. The soup is ready when the cassava, pickled meat and shank are tender.
4. At the end, add the bouillon cubes and as option; the cocunut milk.
5. Boil for an additional 5 - 10 minutes.

---------------------------

Recipes of Surinam: Patja
Also known as Kokor or npopo

Translations kindly provided by:
Dr. Brian Kimball DC
Owner/President
Pangaea Exotics Tours

Patja is a soup that is well known by the Surinamese Bush negro population. To the rest of the Surinamees population this recipe is completely unknown and cannot be found in any of the Surinamees cookbooks.

The basis of Patja is a strong boullion which can be made with meat (red or white) or fish. Beef would be great but if you have fish available that would be great; red snapper tilapia anumara krobia kwikwi jarakaba etc. For those that don't have any of the afore mentioned tropical fish available you can try any other kind of fish. Keep in mind that salt water fish is not recommended for it will change the taste of the broth.

Patja is also delicious with any dried or smoked fish. The bouillon can also be brought up to taste with a bouillon cube or a dash of salt. Spices are not recommended except for half an onion. Another very important ingredient is grated cassava.

In Suriname they use the bitter cassava for this broth. The cassava is cleaned and washed and grated to a bitter mush. This is then put in a special long basket like container which we call a matapi. This basket is structured so that when you pull on the bottom it squeazes all of the cassava together. The liquid of the bitter cassava which is poisonous is getting squeazed out of the cassava* and a solid substance is left over. Outside of Suriname bitter cassava and matapi are usually hard to find. Sweet cassava fresh or frozen would be a good substitute even though the taste would be slightly different. If you are unable to use a matapi a clean strong dishcloth can also be used to squeeze the cassava. After five uses you might want to throw out the dishcloth. In the meantime use a centrifuge to dry the cassava. Separate the cassava in two equal parts in two clean dish cloths for balance in the centrifuge box and start spinning. You wont be able to get it as dry by squeezing it in a towel...dont forget to clean the centrifuge box before and after every use!

Once the grated cassava is dry take out the big rough pieces or put it through the grinder once more. Out of this make thick sturdy balls. If the cassava is too dry add a little bit of water. It is only supposed to have enough liquid so that it breaks apart easy enough (if it does not it is too wet) but if it starts crumbling too easily,(it is too dry); it is just a matter of trying. Out of these big balls make smaller balls about half a centimeter in diameter.

Once this is done take out the fish or meat out of the bouillon and set the flame to high. Then add the cassava balls to this. Carefull! Do not put all the balls in at once it will cool off the soup too fast. Also do not stir immediately because it will break apart the balls too fast because you will get a glazy looking soup that looks like hangovers vomit. Go to work with caution. Once all the balls have been added to the soup lower the flame and continue cooking. After two to three minutes you can start stirring and try getting the balls that have clumped together apart. Also add a pepper for taste preferrably an adyuma (habenero) cayenne pepper or madame janet pepper but if these are not available a spanish pepper will do.

Serve this up with a piece of pepper that can be used at the persons own discretion. So hot that you can just barely eat it. If you like you may also add a dash of vinegar which makes the soup absolutely delicious.

* What happens with the poisonous liquid from the bitter cassava? Throw it away? No absolutely not. This poisonous liquid can be used as an insecticide for lice in your vegetable garden. You can also boil it in a big pan and make a syrup like liquid called kasripo. The poison is hereby taken out and is no longer dangerous. If by any chance you should run out of soy sauce you may use this liquid as a marinade.

From Encyclopedia.com:
cassava
plant (genus Manihot) of the SPURGE family native to Brazil. The roots are the source of cassava starch, cassava flour and tapioca; they are also fermented to make an alcoholic beverage and have other uses. The raw roots of bitter cassava (M. esculenta) chief source of cassava flour contain potentially lethal amounts of prussic acid which must be dispelled in preparation. Sweet cassava roots contain less acid and can be eaten raw.

Tuco

Rising Star
Registered
props on da thread! i recently bought a condo and ive been trying to get down in da kitchen; this'll help alot.

Varis

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
get these , then toast them in the oven but watch em because they toast very fast

TOSTITOS_Restaurant_Style_with_a_Hint_of_Lime_Tortilla_Chips.gif

then get some of this queso dip
TOSTITOS_Salsa_Con_Queso_(Jar).gif

xselent

Star
Registered
the best steak i eve made was last night

i used my broiler for the first time ever

that thingi s fast and it keeps the meat nice and tender

i have made great steaks but not that way before

its effortless too....i been missin out

thanx bgol

Josh

Potential Star
Registered
simple meat balls and spaghetti.

1lb ground chuck
1/2 onion
1 slice of bread
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup of chicken broth
2 eggs
1 tsp of the following:
Parsley
garlic powder
pepper flakes
black pepper
a pinch of sugar
2 tsp of kosher salt
2 tsp of basil
1/2 cup of grated parmesean romano cheese

use either a blender or a food processor take slice of bread and pulse till its look like crumbs. set aside add to the ground meat in a bowl.

next in either blender or food processor add garlic onions and chicken stock. Blend well add to the meat.
add the eggs, cheese and seasoning.
gently fold together with your hands and you can store it overnight or for a few hours. take it out and make balls the size of golf balls. set the oven for 375. lightly spray or oil a pan add the balls to the pan. cooks in about 15 minutes.

Tomato sauce:
1 can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes(if you can find this type) otherwise go with what you can fine
1 tbsp of tomato paste
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 of onion minced
olive oil
season to taste with pepper flakes, salt, pepper, parsley basil and sugar.

heat about 2 tbsp of oil in a pan add onions and garlic. cook till tranlucent, continue to stir the pot. You don't want it to burn or get brown. add tomatoes mix well add tomatoe paste and let simmer for 15 minutes. stir constantly. Add the seasoning and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Add meatball and let simmer for another 5 mintues.

Cook the noodles according to package. drain and toss back in pot. Add a tab of butter and a healthy spoon of tomato sauce with no meat. stir at a high heat for about a minute till blended.

Now get a bowl, add noodles, sauce and meatball sprinkle some more parm on it. serve with garlic bread.

Girl will give you good dome off of this.

Next:

4 to 5 pound chicken
1/4 cup of brown sugar
cup of course kosher salt
tablespoon of following ingredients
black pepper
basil
thyme
rosemary
1/2 lemon
1/2 orange
both quarted
1 gal of cold water.
big enough pot to hold chicken

take some of that gallon of water say about a small pot. add all the seasonings in that water and put it on the heat. heat till it dissolves. once dissolve. take off heat. let cool that put the water solution in the fridge. let it cool completely add it to the gallon rest of the water. add the lemons and oranges. stir well and then wash and pat dry chicken add the chicken. place chicken in fridge for 8 hrs no more than 10 hrs or that chicken gonna taste salty.

preheat oven for 400 degrees

take it out, wash pat dry rub it down with olive and 1/4 of an orange.and lightly season with salt, pepper, basil, thyme and rosemary(i mean really lightly season this bitch) stuff the bird with the other 1/4 of the orange, half of onion and toss in the oven uncovered for about an hour. take it out when its done. if you ain't got a thermometer. cut the thickest part of the drumstick and see if the bone is still pink.
once cooked, set aside for 15 minutes. allow it juices to run. slice and serve with some steamed veggies and cous cous cooked in chicken broth.

got more recipes if ya all want

showtime

Support BGOL
Registered
Anybody got a good recipe for sweet potato fries???

One where they actually come out crispy.

Or any other recipe with sweet potatos that don't involve drowning them in syrup.

Enigma

Support BGOL
Registered
here's a quickie:

8 oz. frozen spinach thawed. remove excess water with paper toweling.

3 medium sized cloves of fresh garlic.

about three tablespoons of grapeseed oil.

sizzle the garlic into oil until garlic bronzes. throw in spinach.

remove from heat for a couple of minutes to sprinkle in black pepper, sage, basil, cilantro, thyme, etc. (all dried stuff).

place skillet back onto fire for about five minutes.

delicious.

Shit I might try that one