Black Hair Can Grow- Tips and Inspiration

(0_0)..l.. finger

A GOD
Certified Pussy Poster
Okay here it is. She says that she has 3B hair and 4A in the middle. At end she even says she has 2B hair also. I'm like :hmm: :lol:

Later on, she did a video saying that she was leaving YouTube because of all the negative comments- but she stayed.

Some of the comments:

In your other video you say that having 4a/b hair is not a bad thing so why dont you consider that from what many of us can see you CLEARLY have type 4 hair ALL OVER YOUR HEAD. Your hair is nice but it does not look like 3b hair in the front or the back and you shouldn't take that as an insult because all hair is beautiful when healthy. Maybe you should go back and do more research and at least consider why so many people have said you dont have 3b hair?

must say i love the color and style your natural hair looks beautiful.

Your hair looks more 4b me. I have mixed textures and my 3a/3b strands are really almost straight BUT my 4b looks like your texture.

your hair isnt 3b o_O
3b hair is more loose and not coarse

your hair looks 4a all over

Some of her responses:

OMG IM SOOOOO TIRED OF PPL COMMENTING ON THIS VID WITH THIS SAME CRAP...DID U NOT SE MY VERY LAST VID ABOUT BOGUS YOUTUBE MEMBERS AND THEIR UNNECESSARY COMMENTS? PLZ GO VIEW IT B./C IT ADDRESSES WHY IM ANNOYED BY UR COMMENT....MY HAIR 3C 4A ITS IN MY HEAD SO I WUD KNOW....I DONT SEE WHY EVERYONE FEELS THE NEED FOR EVERYONE TO COMMENT ABOUT MY HAIR TYPE IN CORRECTION....WHEEEW

my hair is actually 3c 4a

Also thats not me spazzing thats me being annoyed by stupid ignorant, ridicluous un neccesary comments like from the person above and yours also....and stress in life oh I know how to deal with that its called prayer and meditation and letting the one most high handle it so plz dont worry about my personal life and trials....you know the reason I even sent u the link to 3c hair is that KNOWLEDGE IS THE CURE FOR IGNORANCE !!! Stay Blessed !

You're 100% correct and going to keep my thoughts to myself:lol:

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Natural Talk with the Boyfriend

So I was talking to the boyfriend and he brought up a good question about natural haired women... He asked me if all natural haired women ONLY use natural or organic hair products. SO I figured I'd discuss this and feel free to chime in..

I would like to say that though I have reviews of products on here that are "natural" not all natural haired women use these or other natural products exclusively. That is purely my personal choice, and lifestyle.. I use natural soap, lotion, cleaning products, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. This does not mean that you have to or should use all natural products on your natural hair for it to grow. There are plenty of natural women that use products from pantene, garnier, herbal essence etc. on their hair... The key is finding what works for you, and KNOWING what you are putting on your hair so that you know how to counteract the effects of the ingredients being put into it.

Also, just because these are "natural" product lines doesn't mean that they cannot work or should not be used by those individuals who do not have natural hair (e.g. relaxers, perms, texturizers). On many product websites, they even suggest products for straight, relaxed, or transitioning hair. So I don't want those to think that because they don't have natural hair, they cannot benefit from natural hairproducts...

I guess to me, there is a difference between being "natural" and having natural hair, just as there is a difference between eating healthy and being vegan... both are lifestyle choices, but at different parts of the spectrum.

SuchATease

Potential Star
BGOL Investor

So I was talking to the boyfriend and he brought up a good question about natural haired women... He asked me if all natural haired women ONLY use natural or organic hair products. SO I figured I'd discuss this and feel free to chime in..

I would like to say that though I have reviews of products on here that are "natural" not all natural haired women use these or other natural products exclusively. That is purely my personal choice, and lifestyle.. I use natural soap, lotion, cleaning products, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. This does not mean that you have to or should use all natural products on your natural hair for it to grow. There are plenty of natural women that use products from pantene, garnier, herbal essence etc. on their hair... The key is finding what works for you, and KNOWING what you are putting on your hair so that you know how to counteract the effects of the ingredients being put into it.

Also, just because these are "natural" product lines doesn't mean that they cannot work or should not be used by those individuals who do not have natural hair (e.g. relaxers, perms, texturizers). On many product websites, they even suggest products for straight, relaxed, or transitioning hair. So I don't want those to think that because they don't have natural hair, they cannot benefit from natural hairproducts...

I guess to me, there is a difference between being "natural" and having natural hair, just as there is a difference between eating healthy and being vegan... both are lifestyle choices, but at different parts of the spectrum.

I have the pleasure of having gf's who are natural and vegetarian and follow a more stronger chemical base regimne then I do. For example I only use shampoos that are sulfate free. I use ABBA color protect - while they use keracare, aphoghee, motions and dominican products. I use mositurizing based conditioners and deep conditioners. My hair isn't strong enough to handle a lot of chemicals due to being prone to becoming excessively dry. The only sorta harsh thing I put in my hair is my leave in conditioner.

I guess you have to find the products that work best for your hair and play close attention to how the weather affects your hair so you can apply the right products to keep it healthy.

Mrs.BCAA2009

Potential Star
Registered

I agree with you, ID. I use all natural but I realize that may not be financially feasible for everybody because the natural stuff isn't cheap. Plus, some people may be allergic. I was watching a video of a lady who had bald patches and used Organic Root Stimulator...it took the rest of her hair o.u.t.

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I agree with you, ID. I use all natural but I realize that may not be financially feasible for everybody because the natural stuff isn't cheap. Plus, some people may be allergic. I was watching a video of a lady who had bald patches and used Organic Root Stimulator...it took the rest of her hair o.u.t.

Great point about the natural hair lines... AfroVeda is one of the cheaper one's I've seen. Also Trader Joe's has natural hair care products that are inexpensive and there is a product likn called Giovanni's that is sold at places like Target, WalMart etc. that is relatively inexpensive. Things that are good for your hair do not have to be expensive, regular items like castor oil, olive oil, shea butter, or molasses are pretty cheap..

and with allergies, this is why patch tests are key when trying new things on your hair or any other part of your body...

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Product Line Review: HairVeda

Another product line gaining a strong following. I have yet to try it so I cannot say how it works. However, I do plan to order a few things in a couple weeks. I'm trying to let my pockets cool off.

The site does have a live chat option and also a blog and forum where you can connect with the owners and get good tips and suggestions.

Last edited:

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Shedding Vs. Breakage

These are two totally different concepts. Shedding is a naturally occurring process. Most say you will shed between 50-100 strands per day. Your strands will typically be close to the length of your actual hair and will have a white hair bulb attached to one end of the strand. Excessive shedding, however can be indicative of physiological issues (e.g. thyroid, lupus, giving birth, improper diet) or it can occur because of extreme stress.

Breakage is when you see smaller strands of hair that do not have the hair bulb attached. It is not a naturally occurring process, it is typically due to some type of neglect or misuse of your hair. This can be from using the wrong type of brush/comb, products that don't agree with your hair, lack of protein or even too much moisture.

Last edited:

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Karen's Body Beautiful Fabulous Freebie Friday

Get a Free Juicy Shampoo Bar with a purchase of $50 or more and get free shipping with a purchase of $75 or more. Enter Coupon Code JUICY

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Product Line Review: SheScentIt

Here is another product line with a bit of a cult following. I have yet to try these products but I plan to get them soon. Hopefully the boyfriend will hook me up for my B-Day..If you have tried this line, please let me know what you think...

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
SALE SALE SALE

KBB's having another great sale! I love this line!

Use coupon code SAVE 10 and receive 10% off your entire purchase! Ends Thursday 3/4

www.karensbodybeautiful.com

Curlmart.com is having a sale on all Curl Junkie products. Enter coupon code CJ15 to receive 15% off their product line. Ends Monday, 3/8. Also, use coupon code FREESHIP60 to receive free shipping on purchases of $60 or more.

HAPPY SHOPPING!

CT's Finest

Tar Heels/Lakers/Giants
Registered
It's good to see this thread is still alive. I wonder about success stories though. Have any of ladies tried the things mentioned in here? If so, what were/are the results? What about the brothas? Anyone now in to cutting their own hair or any other thing that was put in here for us?

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor
I really need to take a picture of my mom's hair and put it up here for everyone who wants dreads...but there is something that I have recently found that works wonders...

10282_1.gif

This thing combs through my daughters hair...I love it. I have yet to use it on my own head but it's great for separating to put conditioning on...

I need this for my daughter.

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
Good thread, ID...

I always go back and forth with the debate of letting my hair grow out...I'm thinking 2010 might be the year, though :dance:

BUMP!

Haven't relaxed my hair since November 2009, and now it's going into May soon...struggling with the two textures, and just thinking of getting it braided (I wore braids in grad school)...

Any suggestions would be welcomed :D

SuchATease

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
BUMP!

Haven't relaxed my hair since November 2009, and now it's going into May soon...struggling with the two textures, and just thinking of getting it braided (I wore braids in grad school)...

I'm struggling with 2 textures 2 and it's so fustrating. Have you heard of the brazilian hair treatment? it's all the rage now in a lot of dominican salons. It can be very expensive but after a few washes your hair does revert back to it's natural texture...

I'm about to just cut all my hair OFF! :hmm:

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
BUMP!

Congrats! My suggestion would be braid outs, roller/pin curl sets/ bantu sets. Even if you do the curly fro method it will help blend the two textures. I prefer to go with the texture of your natural hair because it is the hair you are actually trying to preserve.

The other thing you can do is just get a sew-in, micro braids, or even kinky twists until you are ready to BC

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
Congrats! My suggestion would be braid outs, roller/pin curl sets/ bantu sets. Even if you do the curly fro method it will help blend the two textures. I prefer to go with the texture of your natural hair because it is the hair you are actually trying to preserve.

The other thing you can do is just get a sew-in, micro braids, or even kinky twists until you are ready to BC

Last time I transitioned, I did kinky twists...but, I'm not in NYC anymore and don't have the hair braiders round the corner in Harlem who could hook me up :lol:

I've been mostly doing pin curl sets...but, if I wait until it's dry, I have to deal with the coarse texture of my new growth to curl it and set the curl...am I doing it wrong? :confused:

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Last time I transitioned, I did kinky twists...but, I'm not in NYC anymore and don't have the hair braiders round the corner in Harlem who could hook me up :lol:

I've been mostly doing pin curl sets...but, if I wait until it's dry, I have to deal with the coarse texture of my new growth to curl it and set the curl...am I doing it wrong? :confused:

I don't know if you are doing it wrong, perhaps just different from when I did them?? once i take my sections out of pin curls or bantu knots, i just let them loose and slightly fluff them out...I didn't curl my hair afterward, I just let it be curly on its on... I think at this point, applying direct heat to style your hair will only make the two textures more apparent. I hope this helps...also you might have to use different products now since you have two textures, my suggestion is go with the product that is most beneficial to the natural sections of your hair..

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
Scroll down and feel the love ID to the "Love is in the Hair..." post.:yes:

http://bglhonline.com/page/2/

Great counter to 1) There are so many sad, lonely, bitching about not finding a man sistas AND 2) natural hair is not beautiful in many eyes.

Enjoy.

mpthaking89

Support BGOL
Registered
goddamn there is so much information overload in this thread!! lol I'm a guy and I posted my hair somewhere in this thread. I think its best to just keep things simple and not over analyze.

For instance, petrolatum and mineral oil are bad unnatural ingredients as most of you know already....I dont use em now..but back when I was growing my hair I didnt know that they were bad for hair and I was using that stuff in my hair and scalp quite often. It had no effect on the texture or the growth process of my hair it still grew long.

My main thing now is just trying to keep my scalp moisturized for as long as possible and not flaking. I've done my research n I think I may have it down pack now.

black-n-tan

Star
Registered
Here's my 2 cent on growing hair:

Hairdressers are always telling my girl that she needs to get her "ends clipped" in order for her hair to grow. She goes in with long hair and with every visit her hair gets shorter and shorter. Those folks won't be happy till she's bald and they are selling her a weave. As soon has she stops going to the hairdresser and starts doing her hair herself it starts growing again. I understand wanting to make money but how do they expect to keep making money when customers are coming out looking worse than when they came in?

mpthaking89

Support BGOL
Registered

Hairdressers are always telling my girl that she needs to get her "ends clipped" in order for her hair to grow. She goes in with long hair and with every visit her hair gets shorter and shorter. Those folks won't be happy till she's bald and they are selling her a weave. As soon has she stops going to the hairdresser and starts doing her hair herself it starts growing again. I understand wanting to make money but how do they expect to keep making money when customers are coming out looking worse than when they came in?

I feel that clipping ends is necessary. I thought it was bullshit too and never clipped my ends before. It makes your hair stronger, look better and easier to manage. My hair did grow a lil longer after cutting my ends too I was shocked. I guess there was less tangles which led to less breakage..idk but my hair grew even longer and other people noticed before I even noticed for myself.:cool:

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I feel that clipping ends is necessary. I thought it was bullshit too and never clipped my ends before. It makes your hair stronger, look better and easier to manage. My hair did grow a lil longer after cutting my ends too I was shocked. I guess there was less tangles which led to less breakage..idk but my hair grew even longer and other people noticed before I even noticed for myself.:cool:

MY opinion about trims. I do agree, that when I used to go the hairdresser, they would try to trim my hair at least once a month- which when you think about it, makes sense .. When you are getting your hair processed and using heat every week or every other week, there will typically be a lot more damage to your ends. Laying off of the hairdresser means less stress to the ends, because you are probably not applying as much heat or product at home.

When I first went natural, I didn't get a trim for the first year and half. I was fine when I went to get a cut, it was only about a inch that came off and I was blow drying my hair at that time, so it wasn't that bad. Now that I use no direct heat (no blow drying, flat iron, etc. ) I get a trim once every six months or so... My belief is if you are using the right products, maintaining your hair properly, and not regularly using heat, you don't need a trim once every month or two.

IMO hairdressers, doctors, mechanics, (just to name a few) have some similarities, they give you things to mask the problem, to hide the symptoms, without addressing the core issues as to why the problems are there in the first place... and it keeps you coming back... Educate yourself about your hair and body, you will be better off for it.

mpthaking89

Support BGOL
Registered
MY opinion about trims. I do agree, that when I used to go the hairdresser, they would try to trim my hair at least once a month- which when you think about it, makes sense .. When you are getting your hair processed and using heat every week or every other week, there will typically be a lot more damage to your ends. Laying off of the hairdresser means less stress to the ends, because you are probably not applying as much heat or product at home.

When I first went natural, I didn't get a trim for the first year and half. I was fine when I went to get a cut, it was only about a inch that came off and I was blow drying my hair at that time, so it wasn't that bad. Now that I use no direct heat (no blow drying, flat iron, etc. ) I get a trim once every six months or so... My belief is if you are using the right products, maintaining your hair properly, and not regularly using heat, you don't need a trim once every month or two.

IMO hairdressers, doctors, mechanics, (just to name a few) have some similarities, they give you things to mask the problem, to hide the symptoms, without addressing the core issues as to why the problems are there in the first place... and it keeps you coming back... Educate yourself about your hair and body, you will be better off for it.

Yea I go for a long time without a trim also cause (im a guy lol) I just have my hair in braids or ponytail so its less exposed to damage to the ends. I really took time to educate myself on hair and diff ingredients n all that ever since I had trimmed that chunk of damage ends I had when I first got a trim.

I just recently read about co-washing (conditioner washing hair) I think Imma try that out and see if my scalp can stay moisturized longer. Maybe the fact I shampoo and condition everytime might be the reason my hair gets dry?:confused:

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Yea I go for a long time without a trim also cause (im a guy lol) I just have my hair in braids or ponytail so its less exposed to damage to the ends. I really took time to educate myself on hair and diff ingredients n all that ever since I had trimmed that chunk of damage ends I had when I first got a trim.

I just recently read about co-washing (conditioner washing hair) I think Imma try that out and see if my scalp can stay moisturized longer. Maybe the fact I shampoo and condition everytime might be the reason my hair gets dry?:confused:

Yes, it could be why. How often do you shampoo and condition your hair? And what type of shampoo and conditioner do you use? Also you might want to seal your ends with some kind of oil once you condition your hair or braid it, and even though your hair is in braids, you should rub a moisturizer through them or at least on the ends every night. You might also need to sleep on a satin pillowcase and a satin du-rag so that the cotton in your sheets or pillowcases does not strip your hair at night.

mpthaking89

Support BGOL
Registered
Yes, it could be why. How often do you shampoo and condition your hair? And what type of shampoo and conditioner do you use? Also you might want to seal your ends with some kind of oil once you condition your hair or braid it, and even though your hair is in braids, you should rub a moisturizer through them or at least on the ends every night. You might also need to sleep on a satin pillowcase and a satin du-rag so that the cotton in your sheets or pillowcases does not strip your hair at night.

Yea I actually use a satin headwrap now when I go to bed instead of the normal durags so I dont get du rag lines on my head and it helps my hair look neater. I condition my hair before I go to bed with Afican Royale brx braid spray when I have braids (really moisturizing stuff). I usually shampoo and condition like every 4 days tops or whenever needed. Shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate which I hear dries the hair out kinda so Imma probably start shampooing every 2 weeks or so and just condition wash. Imma try it out. I just started using Nexxus Therappe and Nexxus Humectress shampoo and conditioner.

mpthaking89

Support BGOL
Registered

Yea I actually use a satin headwrap now when I go to bed instead of the normal durags so I dont get du rag lines on my head and it helps my hair look neater. I condition my hair before I go to bed with Afican Royale brx braid spray when I have braids (really moisturizing stuff). I usually shampoo and condition like every 4 days tops or whenever needed. Shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate which I hear dries the hair out kinda so Imma probably start shampooing every 2 weeks or so and just condition wash. Imma try it out. I just started using Nexxus Therappe and Nexxus Humectress shampoo and conditioner.

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor

Good job on the satin headwrap! Yes your shampoo could be the culprit, so trying not to use it as often should help. Also I would suggest that if you continue to use sulfate shampoos you will need to a deep condition at least once a month to also help combat the dryness. Also, I'm not too familiar with the Nexxus brand, but check the ingredients to see if there are a lot of ingredients ending with -cone...

"Cones" are both good and bad for your hair, one they help seal in moisture, but by doing so that means they also prevent moisture from coming in to the hair... and they build up and with most of them you can only get rid of the build up by using something with a sulfate it in. So be careful with that..

Also, I have really dry scalp no matter what I do to my hair...The best thing I have ever found is a Tea-tree and Grape seed oil scalp conditioner that is sold at www.qhemetbiologics.com.... It is a little pricey but I have had the same jar for about 6 months... I apply a very small amount to my scalp once or twice a week, and it stops my dryness and dandruff! I love it!

IntelligentDyme

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Hair Help How to: Banding Banding/stretching is a method used by naturals whose hair is prone to shrinkage, it helps show your actual length.. I know a lot of women complain about shrinkage so hopefully this helps.

Mrs.BCAA2009

Potential Star
Registered

It's unnecessary to cut hair that isn't damaged. Part of the reason I gave up salons a decade ago was because stylists often do stuff out of compulsion that they have no real basis for doing.