UnoBetter2

Rising Star
Registered
crawdad.jpg

Last edited:

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
all his artists got paid, is he suppose to be their financial planner and agent too?

Paid what? Half them ended up owing Bad Boy money after the recoupment.

Puffy was triple, quadrupling, and quintuple dipping them. You see he knew the mechanics and dollars and cents of the business better than his artist and used it to HIS advantage to profit immensely from their naivety.

(1) If the track was going to be hot, he'd force them to write in a part for himself or he would do that angry babbling, talking, and screaming shit so Puffy could be on the track "to make it hotter." But then Puffy would charge a performance fee to his artist budget; the same budget he provided!

(2) Puffy would then collect a performance royalty on every record sold or played on the radio that he was on.

(3) Since Puffy took executive producer credit for anything coming out of Bad Boy, he would also take executive producer royalty points on each album sold.

(4) If there were cars or location shoots, Puffy would make his artist use the cars or boats he owned and then charge the rental fee back to his artist's budget.

(5) Puffy made most of all Bad-Boy artists sign up through his publishing company, and as such he'd retained exclusive publishing and performance rights to all songs and the profit and royalties generated from it after the artist got their %.

Lox even said, "All About The Benjamins," - Puff Daddy made more money off that song than they did and was still collecting checks long after the release cycle had finished. They even had to get HIS PERMISSION to perform the song at concerts since he retained the rights. Now hows that for some shit. You have to get someone elses permission to do YOUR song.

(6) Since Bad Boy was also the management co. for many of the artist, Puffy was also taking a 10% managers cut from them.

The only "L" Puffy ever really took was on Mases second album when he left the business just prior to its launch.

And then Puffy never let Mase out the contract. He wanted 50 Cent to buy him out when 50 wanted to sign him.

Last edited:

bigred22

Star
Registered
Yo, does anyone have that video of that interview with Puffy and Big right after Tupac got shot in NY where they were defending themselves against Pac claiming they set him up?? Someone posted that shit the other day and I cant find the shit nowhere!:angry:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
i just want to know one thing, did they watch different weather forecasts?
diddy_la.jpg

dmgille

Support BGOL
Registered
Paid what? Half them ended up owing Bad Boy money after the recoupment.

Puffy was triple, quadrupling, and quintuple dipping them. You see he knew the mechanics and dollars and cents of the business better than his artist and used it to HIS advantage to profit immensely from their naivety.

(1) If the track was going to be hot, he'd force them to write in a part for himself or he would do that angry babbling, talking, and screaming shit so Puffy could be on the track "to make it hotter." But then Puffy would charge a performance fee to his artist budget; the same budget he provided!

(2) Puffy would then collect a performance royalty on every record sold or played on the radio that he was on.

(3) Since Puffy took executive producer credit for anything coming out of Bad Boy, he would also take executive producer royalty points on each album sold.

(4) If there were cars or location shoots, Puffy would make his artist use the cars or boats he owned and then charge the rental fee back to his artist's budget.

(5) Puffy made most of all Bad-Boy artists sign up through his publishing company, and as such he'd retained exclusive publishing and performance rights to all songs and the profit and royalties generated from it after the artist got their %.

Lox even said, "All About The Benjamins," - Puff Daddy made more money off that song than they did and was still collecting checks long after the release cycle had finished. They even had to get HIS PERMISSION to perform the song at concerts since he retained the rights. Now hows that for some shit. You have to get someone elses permission to do YOUR song.

(6) Since Bad Boy was also the management co. for many of the artist, Puffy was also taking a 10% managers cut from them.

The only "L" Puffy ever really took was on Mases second album when he left the business just prior to its launch.

And then Puffy never let Mase out the contract. He wanted 50 Cent to buy him out when 50 wanted to sign him.
i think paperboy on that 90's joint ditty said it best its 10% talent 90% business. i dont blame any1 but the artist for signing shitty ass contracts. dummy GET UR OWN LAWYER...NOT THE ONE THE LEBEL PROVIDES FOR YOU. DICKHEAD HE WORKS FOR THE LABEL

Last edited:

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
i just want to know one thing, did they watch different weather forecasts?
diddy_la.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Puffy looks like he's going out for a walk on a brisk November morning in New York.

His son looks like he's still chilling in early May.

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
i think paperboy on that 90's joint ditty said it best its 10% talent 90% business. i dont blame any1 but the artist for signing shitty ass contracts. dummy GET UR OWN LAWYER...NOT THE ONE THE LEBEL PROVIDES FOR YOU. DICKHEAD HE WORKS FOR THE LABEL

Like I mentioned, these are street dudes and girls were talking about. They don't know anything about the finer mechanics of business and business law.

They're hungry, talented, broke, naive, and eager. Puff uses all that to his advantage (whether he wants to admit to it or not). It also didn't help that he played the, "I'm your friend - I'm your brother - Let's "us" black people build this empire together" role. "I have everything you need - turnkey. Lawyers, Stylist, Producers, Promoters, Managers, Street Team.... here, take this $30,000 and here's the keys to a Benz and go have some fun. Then come with me to this party tomorrow and help me buy out the bar. Then we'll sign the contract tomorrow, cool!"

Shit like that to a low educated - non upper echelon business person sounds sweet. Too good to refuse, right. I mean you're immediately living 10x better than you ever have and the money is legal.

True, you're not taking any of the financial risk in the venture. No skin in the game yet. But what you don't know is that you've just signed away MOST OF YOUR CAKE NOW and IN THE FUTURE so you could have a FEW SLICES TODAY.

As soon as Puffy dropped the Ghetto Fabulous act, suddenly he's all European / Continental smoove now and more of his "urban" acts got shelved in favor of straight-up Pop-40 targeted stuff.

Not saying Pop-40 isn't a good business move, but you always keep a core of street artist to give your label some legitimacy. And that's why Bad Boy as a music label is a bit misdirected and languishing at the moment.

He tried to take one of the toughest Urban labels around and spin it into Motown, but he sort of forgot the roots which he's now trying to get back by associating with Rick Ro$$ and Nicki Minaj.

If P really wanted to make waves, he should sign Jay Electronica to a distribution deal. Let Jay become Bad Boy's "Kanye" and then rebuild around him.

Side note: That's why I respect Lyor Cohen because at least he'll tell you - yeah, you're getting fucked sideways with no lube - but at least you have some money in your pocket now.