Barbecuing:What Technics do you use to get the fire/smoke just right?

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BGOLer's,it's that time of the year again where we will be doing alot of cooking outside.I want to know what personal technics do you use to get the fire/smoke on your grill how you like it???

:smh:I can get my mines started,flames shooting to the sky but to keep it going evenly without it shooting flames,smoking to much or fizzling out after a good hour...I don't know maybe it isn't for me

An RnB Thug

El Capitan of The LOVE BOAT
Platinum Member
Easy...I trashed the Charcoal Grill
and Copped one of these

propane_grill_t560w.jpg

runteldat

Support BGOL
Registered
electric-charcoal-starter.jpg

My cousin just put me up on this... an electric charcoal lighter. I sure this will offend some cats sensibilities around outdoor cooking, but shit... sometimes you just don't fuckin feel like wrestling with lighter fluid and other bullshit to get your fire going.

All you have to do is plug this thing in, get your little charcoal pyramid built, and in about a minute, stick this thing under your pile of charcoal.

Instant fire.

Thurgood

Banned
and Copped one of these

propane_grill_t560w.jpg

Trust me...you'll notice a difference in the flavor and revert back to the charcoal eventually.

For me...you never cook over flames. Set your stones ablaze and let them burn out until they're all gray and fiery. I repeat, DO NOT ever grill over flames. You'll get burned exterior w/ raw meat if so.

Chicken and dogs, always grill w/ the lid up.

Steak, always close your lid to trap flavor and juices. Do not puncture the meat. Flip once on each side and you're done!

Good luck!

geist

Star
Registered
I put my hand over the coals. If it can only be there like two seconds it's just right.

Daimy0

Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
BGOLer's,it's that time of the year again where we will be doing alot of cooking outside.I want to know what personal technics do you use to get the fire/smoke on your grill how you like it???

:smh:I can get my mines started,flames shooting to the sky but to keep it going evenly without it shooting flames,smoking to much or fizzling out after a good hour...I don't know maybe it isn't for me

technics1.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jim_Browski

Star
BGOL Investor
Thurgood said:
Trust me...you'll notice a difference in the flavor and revert back to the charcoal eventually.

For me...you never cook over flames. Set your stones ablaze and let them burn out until they're all gray and fiery. I repeat, DO NOT ever grill over flames. You'll get burned exterior w/ raw meat if so.

Chicken and dogs, always grill w/ the lid up.

Steak, always close your lid to trap flavor and juices. Do not puncture the meat. Flip once on each side and you're done!

Good luck!

Raw Meat...not true. Sear it...then turn the hear down.

I wet..not soak hickory and sit it over a burner...you got your flavor, if you want it.

I like charcoal like the next man...but I'm a nigga that cookout all year round...snow included, fire that bitch up and slap some rib eyes on that bad boy.

fles

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

What kind of grill is it? Does it have vents that you can close and open?

With a charcoal grill, once you fire them up,-

You control the intensity of the heat with the amount of air you let in through the vents. The more air coal gets, the hotter they get. The less air, the cooler they get; with no air they will die out.

smokeon2006

Star
BGOL Investor
Get cedar wood chunks and soak them in water and apple cider vinegar for at least an hour or two. When you are ready to get your fire started, build a pyramid of charcoal in the center of your grill. If you are not working with match lit coals, then you want to make sure you use lighter fluid on the entire pyramid. For me, I don't like to over do it with the lighter fluid, but if you spray it all over and then use a generous amount focused on the foundation of the pyramid of coals that usually works. Light them and watch the flame for the first 3 minutes or so and if it appears to be uneven, then spray more lighter fluid on the side that isn't lit as well as the rest. Let that go for about 15 minutes or so or until all "visible coals are covered with ash. What I like to do at this point is spread the coals mostly to one side of the grill (thus giving you a hot and cool side for cooking). Once all coals are white then add your wood chunks. You don't need a lot of wood per say but I do tend to use a few more chunks in the cool side of the grill. Depending on your grill make and size, learn to use the vents to control the temperature....it really makes a difference.

When you need to add even more charcoal, do not I REPEAT DO NOT use any more lighter fluid. Simply remove the rack and add coals and wood chunks to the already lit ones. Trust me they will light in no time.

Good thread, I also have plenty of recipes for spice rubs, sauces, marinades and brines. If anyone is interested, hit me via pm. I do the damn thing on the grill:yes:

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
Co-Sign.

Gas isn't for barbecue.

Depends on how you use it.

Mine is hard to regulate the heat. It always cooks hotter and keeps going up so I even have to do steaks at a lower setting with the lid OPEN. :smh:

For smoke I go get a good wood and placed it on the grill with the meat and close the lid for about 5 minutes. LIGHT SMOKE FLAVOR ON A GAS GRILL.

Also for that good taste, don't clean it cold. Heat it up HOT, then close the lid. Let it go for about 10 minutes, then turn it down, open the lid, give a sec to cool a bit and THEN wire brush. the old bits fall into the fire and steady your heat a little better and you get a good hot gas grill for cooking a little easier.

Sounds crazy but the shit works for me. I smoked some ribs at my neighbor's crawfish bake two weeks ago on a gas grill and everyone wanted the recipe. TOO BAD THERE ISN'T ONE. TRAIL AND ERROR BITCHES! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Got gumbo?

Potential Star
Registered

You got an air flow problem. Let coals burn until they start to "ash" over(turn grey). Then add wood chunks. Temps should around 250. If its too high spread coals out, if temp too low move coals into a pile.

hsm2448

Rising Star
Registered
the best tekneek i've seen thus far is using one of those metal holders that let you stack the charcoal inside of it.

smokeon2006

Star
BGOL Investor

Mine is hard to regulate the heat. It always cooks hotter and keeps going up so I even have to do steaks at a lower setting with the lid OPEN. :smh:

For smoke I go get a good wood and placed it on the grill with the meat and close the lid for about 5 minutes. LIGHT SMOKE FLAVOR ON A GAS GRILL.

Also for that good taste, don't clean it cold. Heat it up HOT, then close the lid. Let it go for about 10 minutes, then turn it down, open the lid, give a sec to cool a bit and THEN wire brush. the old bits fall into the fire and steady your heat a little better and you get a good hot gas grill for cooking a little easier.

Sounds crazy but the shit works for me. I smoked some ribs at my neighbor's crawfish bake two weeks ago on a gas grill and everyone wanted the recipe. TOO BAD THERE ISN'T ONE. TRAIL AND ERROR BITCHES! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You should put the time into developing recipes. There is nothing like being able to duplicate results EVERY TIME effortlessly. Not to mention, if the feedback and demand is that great you can turn a profit. I sell my rubs and marinades for $5 dollars a pop and do really well for change and when those same customers are too lazy to do it themselves I cater their event. Naturally once someone else tastes it and wants to know the recipe I sell it out of the trunk.:yes:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
for quick and dirty bbq with flavor, from lighting fire to cooking in less than 30 minutes here is how i do it:
make sure bottom vent is open, then layer bottom of coal tray with dry twigs and 1 page of newspaper.
evenly place coals on top of this-form a pyramid or mound, don't dump from bag, place by hand.
add lighter fluid and ignite. when a few of the coal become gray to white on the edges, level the coals but keep the dark coals on top of or next to the graying or white coals, after a few minutes this will be a very hot grill. (should singe the hair on your arm), depending on your device drop the coal tray to its lowest position / or raise the grill to it highest position, crack the lower vent dont leave it wide open, throw some hickory wood chips on the coals, wait 5 min and start cooking.

fles

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

:lol:

I get that all the time. What some people don't understand though, is that smoke=F.L.A.V.O.R.

Applewood, Mesquite, Hickory.:yes:

tuckdog

Rising Star
Registered
First of all, use good coals. Pyramid coals, give a nice drenching of lighter fluid, let sit for about 7 to 10 min, light. When fire goes down and the coals are about half ashed, spread them out and put lid down. Let sit until the coals are almost completely ashed over. You should be able to hold your hand over them for no longer than 2 seconds. After that, you're ready to go...

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man put your coals in a stack. Soak that shit with lighter fluid. Then light them and let them cook for a good thirty minutes. I let mine burn to their all grey with the red fire in the middle. Then throw your meat on there and you should have a good smoke going. I used to just use charcoal but lately I've been putting wood chips in there for the wood smoke flavor. BBQ'ing is real easy my man has been around for years. Seasoning your meat real good and also brine it which I don't do.

This is some ribs I did for Easter

wrb0p.jpg

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What kind of grill is it? Does it have vents that you can close and open?
Just a basic small,like circler grill with a top you can remove. Yeah,It has the bowling ball type of vents,two at the bottom one at the top that you can open and close.

I don't do enough grilling,three times a year at best, to buy another smoker or an gas grill.

Electric fire starter...Ill have to look into that.

Thanks for the recommendation...keep em coming.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

I like charcoal like the next man...but I'm a nigga that cookout all year round...snow included, fire that bitch up and slap some rib eyes on that bad boy.

i grill year round too. but i am not fucking with a gas grill. i didn't know black folks messed with gas grills. :puke:

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
them ribs lookin right!

u shouldnt let your kid so close to the grill though...i see them baby feet on the right side of the pic :lol:

lil dude be chewing his toenails huh :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Real talk this summer i think im gone BBQ in a swimming pool. Buy one of them 10 dollar plastic joints and stand in it.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i dont like the taste of gas grilled meat. flavor isn't right. i prefer the good ole charcoal and mesquite wood chips. slow smoke the ribs, steak, and chicken to perfection.

Cannibal

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
and Copped one of these

propane_grill_t560w.jpg

I start my meat on a traditional charcoal grill and then move it over to the gas to finish the job. The charcoal imparts the flavors into the meat. Trust us homie. Gas is only good for like hot dogs and like smoked sausage or something. But burgers, steak, chicken, fish, have to be be on charcoal. If you drop some hickory chips on the coals, my God, you'll swear God loved you.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Make sure you use wood chunks and not chips, because the chips burn out to fast to give the meat that smoke flavor