Amir Khan: I Know I Can Outbox, Hurt Lamont Peterson

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
Props to Peterson man. Helluva fight. Khan and Roach need to go back and work on that sloppy 1-2. Looked amateurish at times. Looking forward to the rematch.

tp2001

Star
Registered
If he had stood tall with a snappy jab when Peterson was trying to move in, he would have had more success, but Pac's style isn't good backing up or being defensive.

I don't know what Roach is teaching these guys, but I would switch trainers.

Exactly...neither one of those fighters know how to adjust to their opponents backing up. Peterson had so much success against Khan when he was going forward and he scored very effectively with the body shots and then following it up with an uppercut. I thought about what he was doing in the fight and he was looking like Glen Johnson out there with that relentless come-forward style.

Roach isn't looking good right now as a trainer of his highest rated fighters...A lot of flaws are showing big time on both of them...

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Exactly...neither one of those fighters know how to adjust to their opponents backing up. Peterson had so much success against Khan when he was going forward and he scored very effectively with the body shots and then following it up with an uppercut. I thought about what he was doing in the fight and he was looking like Glen Johnson out there with that relentless come-forward style.

Roach isn't looking good right now as a trainer of his highest rated fighters...A lot of flaws are showing big time on both of them...

I think people blow out of portion juan's effectiveness over manny. He gives manny fits. If it was as easy to beat manny as bgol says. Then we would have some hall of fame trainers up in here guiding fighters to the championships. Khan had a chance and would have won if he did two things, knock lamont out or stopped pushing down. Neither thing is in the trainers hand. That was all khan. He had that fight but gave it away. Lamont cashed in and will look to get paid again.

dime bag

Rising Star
Registered
This was no hometown decision. Peterson was the aggressor throughout and landed the blows that were making Khan back up and take a breath after evey exchange. Much props to Lamont, he definitely proved me wrong.

Now onto Khan - DUDE! YOU ARE NOT MANNY PACQUIAO - QUIT THE IMITATION ALREADY. Khan actually has some skills, he needs to quit emulating his boy - who fights like that naturally. Khan needs a technical trainer because Freddie ain't correcting his sloppy combo punching ass. I mean at times he looked like a complete fucking amateur in there.

:lol: Freddie isn't going to correct that wild sloppy ass shit Khan is doing because He's the cause of it. that jackass ass roach is trying to mold Khan into Manny lite

amirkhanbike.gif

:smh::lol:

tp2001

Star
Registered
I think people blow out of portion juan's effectiveness over manny. He gives manny fits. If it was as easy to beat manny as bgol says. Then we would have some hall of fame trainers up in here guiding fighters to the championships.

:smh:

Marquez isn't the only fighter out there that frustrated Pac. Morales had him stuck at times in their first fight. As long as you give him different looks and time him effectively, then he can't get to you with the power that people go gaga over...

I would have liked to see what would happen if Raheem fought him. If Pac wouldn't be able to hit him and still would try to get to that dude the whole fight. Mosley did it to an extent at the fight in May and you saw the disappointed look on Manny's face round after round. Pac did not have to worry about that against Hatton, Margarito, and Cotto (somewhat) because all of them fight close enough for Manny to get good shots in.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

Marquez isn't the only fighter out there that frustrated Pac. Morales had him stuck at times in their first fight. As long as you give him different looks and time him effectively, then he can't get to you with the power that people go gaga over...

I would have liked to see what would happen if Raheem fought him. If Pac wouldn't be able to hit him and still would try to get to that dude the whole fight. Mosley did it to an extent at the fight in May and you saw the disappointed look on Manny's face round after round. Pac did not have to worry about that against Hatton, Margarito, and Cotto (somewhat) because all of them fight close enough for Manny to get good shots in.

I hear you. But like I said before. Cats on here talk like beating pac is so freaking easy. But somehow all these professional fighters have fallen short. All these trainers have missed on what you guys act like it is so easy to do. I hear yall but something is not adding up.

And I am not even going to address all this funny talk about roach not being any hood. It is so fucking funny just reading this shit. Funny, some of yall need to quit your jobs and become world class trainers. Seriously.

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Look at Manny's last few fights:

- De La Hoya (really? After getting rocked by Steve Forbes and coming in at a weight drained 145 lbs and rehydrated to 147lbs)
- Hatton - I just got knocked out by Floyd and I know one way only - coming forward
- Margarito - everyone knows I use my face as a punching bag (no defense)
- Cotto - never known for defense but great offense. Made sure he was at 145lbs.
- Clottey - I have defense but no offense
- Mosley - "He is gotten old in the ring" - against Mayweather, then draw against (Mora? forgot which one)

Seriously, I am not joking here. These were the fights. They were putting him against tailored made fighters. Sure they were good, but c'mon man. That ish is too obvious. It's like putting a pitcher with 100 mph against Barry Bonds in his prime. Sure it looks good until you realize that this dude only has heaters and that's exactly what Bonds loves and will eat up. The problem with the my "best" against your "best" issue with boxing is that if I know what you are throwing then I know to prepare for. Margarito? Tee off and then hop out. Hatton - he dips down throwing the left, gets frustrated easy and rushes in - see Mayweather. Cotto - no real defense - Mosley- unable to actually throw the shot (peep the long wide, wind up punches against Margarito). Clottey? Will not throw many punches - hard to knock out. Just keep throwing.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Look at Manny's last few fights:

- De La Hoya (really? After getting rocked by Steve Forbes and coming in at a weight drained 145 lbs and rehydrated to 147lbs)
- Hatton - I just got knocked out by Floyd and I know one way only - coming forward
- Margarito - everyone knows I use my face as a punching bag (no defense)
- Cotto - never known for defense but great offense. Made sure he was at 145lbs.
- Clottey - I have defense but no offense
- Mosley - "He is gotten old in the ring" - against Mayweather, then draw against (Mora? forgot which one)

Seriously, I am not joking here. These were the fights. They were putting him against tailored made fighters. Sure they were good, but c'mon man. That ish is too obvious. It's like putting a pitcher with 100 mph against Barry Bonds in his prime. Sure it looks good until you realize that this dude only has heaters and that's exactly what Bonds loves and will eat up. The problem with the my "best" against your "best" issue with boxing is that if I know what you are throwing then I know to prepare for. Margarito? Tee off and then hop out. Hatton - he dips down throwing the left, gets frustrated easy and rushes in - see Mayweather. Cotto - no real defense - Mosley- unable to actually throw the shot (peep the long wide, wind up punches against Margarito). Clottey? Will not throw many punches - hard to knock out. Just keep throwing.

Dude, that is so silly. These two sentences are my only responses.

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dude, that is so silly. These two sentences are my only responses.

I guess that's your response then. Acting as if Manny has been fighting quality fighters in his last fights (Ill give you Cotto and Marquez) is something you can't deny.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I guess that's your response then. Acting as if Manny has been fighting quality fighters in his last fights (Ill give you Cotto and Marquez) is something you can't deny.

You can think what you want about manny. I think his resume speaks for itself. If you think PBF or Sergio have stepped into the right with tougher comp then cool. I mean I might chuckle, but I have heard the same song and seen the dance from Manny haters for so long I just ride with it. Manny's career>>>> than any other fighter including BHOP right now. If I am wrong then I will step up and say I am wrong. But I don't think so. And finding reasons to belittle a victory is easy. Way easier than the dudes that have to do it in the ring. Every fight is a risky fight. But the thing is some are less riskier than others.

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can think what you want about manny. I think his resume speaks for itself. If you think PBF or Sergio have stepped into the right with tougher comp then cool. I mean I might chuckle, but I have heard the same song and seen the dance from Manny haters for so long I just ride with it. Manny's career>>>> than any other fighter including BHOP right now. If I am wrong then I will step up and say I am wrong. But I don't think so. And finding reasons to belittle a victory is easy. Way easier than the dudes that have to do it in the ring. Every fight is a risky fight. But the thing is some are less riskier than others.

Sure every fight is risky, but Bhop's career? For real? Yeah I will take Floyd's career. Why? Because you look at the names on Manny's record. Bob Arum's playbook is to build fighters up with declining fighters with big names. Cotto after the Margarito fight? Margarito after the Shane fight? You are talking about after handwraps and after getting absolutely killed in he ring? That's something to hang your hat on? Shane after the Mayweather fight? When E. Steward is saying he looked his age and hangs his hat on hitting his opponent 2 times? 2 time my dude? Clottey? Who has Clottey beaten? Hatton after the May fight? De La Hoya - at 145lbs after the Steve Forbes fight? Are you serious? When was the last time De La Hoya fought at 147lbs? Man Bhop is fighting young champs - when they are on top. Hell he is trying to fight Butte. Fought Paschal..ect..

That's like me acting like Hatton beating Castillo in four rounds was something special. Castillo was gone. I mean c'mon man. But know you are right, every fight is risky. And I respect the hustle- why risk a loss and lose your cash cow/money route? I mean - they definitely fought Marquez years after there last bout when he was 38/39 at a weight (the last time he went up there Floyd shut him out - but Flyod cheated with the weight limit so that didn't count right?). And the only thing folks can say is that Marquez was stepping on his foot and Pac was the agressor? I guess I am just silly then. Just ignorant to real boxing and records.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

:lol: and the hits keep coming...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:''

I'm crying in the car right now this is so funny.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

You know and they know what would have happened if they fought Raheem, that's why they didn't.
I'm not going to knock Roach for his fighter's weaknesses.

Hopkins? Really? Now you're just trying way too hard. Floyd? Okay, a good argument can be made for that. Sergio? Yeah, the way top guys duck him, it's hard for him to stack up name quality fights. He's taken Paul Williams spot as the most avoided guy. But Hopkins? Bullshit. Bernard does nothing but take on top names. He was ducking the shit out of Chad Dawson but he still ended up fighting him and will probably fight him again.
Remember those last two sentences when you're talking about Floyd Mayweather as well.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
You know and they know what would have happened if they fought Raheem, that's why they didn't.

Well knock him for not trying to improve on them, outside or inside the ring because they never have a plan b.

Remember those last two sentences when you're talking about Floyd Mayweather as well.

That's the punchline...

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Well knock him for not trying to improve on them, outside or inside the ring because they never have a plan b.

With Roach, he takes what they do and tries to make it better and doesn't work much (relatively speaking) on what they do wrong.
Without Roach, I don't see Pacquiao or Khan being as successful as they have been (his matchmaking skills included).

That's the punchline...

I know. What's so wrong with judging everyone by the same standard?

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
With Roach, he takes what they do and tries to make it better and doesn't work much (relatively speaking) on what they do wrong.
Without Roach, I don't see Pacquiao or Khan being as successful as they have been (his matchmaking skills included).

I know. What's so wrong with judging everyone by the same standard?

I don't know.

Roach doesn't do shit to improve movement or defense based on what I see and what he says in the corner. Also what the fuck happened to Khan's jab that shut down Malinaggi? Oh yeah, Manny only uses it when he leaps in to start a combo and for some reason Khan says fuck his reach advantage and everything he has that he can use to fight more effectively. Shouldn't Roach tell him to stop that dumb shit?

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I don't know.

Roach doesn't do shit to improve movement or defense based on what I see and what he says in the corner. Also what the fuck happened to Khan's jab that shut down Malinaggi? Oh yeah, Manny only uses it when he leaps in to start a combo and for some reason says fuck his reach advantage and everything he has that he can use to fight more effectively. Should Roach tell him to stop that dumb shit.

He should. Roach is a good trainer but I don't see him in the same range as Naazim Richardson or Emmanuel Steward.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
He should. Roach is a good trainer but I don't see him in the same range as Naazim Richardson or Emmanuel Steward.

I feel but I really have to question what the fuck is going on? I can't just say its on the fighters... its not like Richardson and Mosley were Richardson is trying to telling his guy what to do and Mosley just couldn't do it. The most I saw Roach say was "his punches are getting loopy so throw your punches straight", which would make sense if Peterson was just throwing wild hooks from the outside on his way in. Peterson was slipping punches and just using movement for the most part to get inside. That advice means nothing and I would have begging for him to jab like a motherfucker which would make Peterson second guess and/or force him to get in a awkward position that leaves him open when he tries to move in.

It's not like Khan looked like complete shit, but a little more of the jab would have changed the outcome of a few of those rounds.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

Hopkins? Really? Now you're just trying way too hard. Floyd? Okay, a good argument can be made for that. Sergio? Yeah, the way top guys duck him, it's hard for him to stack up name quality fights. He's taken Paul Williams spot as the most avoided guy. But Hopkins? Bullshit. Bernard does nothing but take on top names. He was ducking the shit out of Chad Dawson but he still ended up fighting him and will probably fight him again.

I think manny fought better people and had just as many big fights as bhop. And i feel bhop is great. This wasn't a slight on bhop. You are try to hard to make it look that way.

And as for my last two sentences relating to PBF....I agree. He goes out his way to make the least risky fight possible.

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I think manny fought better people and had just as many big fights as bhop. And i feel bhop is great. This wasn't a slight on bhop. You are try to hard to make it look that way.

If you compare Pacquiao's resume to Hopkins and say Manny's is better, it damn sure is a slight. Manny has fought two dangerous fight in 5 yrs with at least two non-contenders thrown in. Hopkins has fought nothing but the best lightheavyweights in that same time period after a dominant run as middleweight champion.

And as for my last two sentences relating to PBF....I agree. He goes out his way to make the least risky fight possible.

Don't switch it up now.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Don't switch it up now.

In my opinion no fighter is better than BHOP. But that is my opinion. Also switch what up? I always have said If PBF sees he can beat someone he will make that fight. He just doesn't like to take risky fights. How is that a change? The least chance he will lose. The more likely he will make that fight. Anyways stop bringing up pbf. I am bored with talking about the least competitive fighter since RJJ. At least RJJ jumped up to heavyweight and then fought Tarver twice. At least at the end of his real career as a boxing he attempted to take a few challenges.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
In my opinion no fighter is better than BHOP. But that is my opinion. Also switch what up? I always have said If PBF sees he can beat someone he will make that fight. He just doesn't like to take risky fights. How is that a change? The least chance he will lose. The more likely he will make that fight. Anyways stop bringing up pbf.

Stop being inconsistent.

Your words were "Every fight has risk. Some are riskier than others." Since moving to welterweight, I don't see Manny Pacquiao having fought anymore riskier fights than Floyd Mayweather. The fact of the matter is Manny isn't the fighter Floyd is so he has tougher fights with comparable, at times lesser, competition. Manny fought Cotto but only at a catchweight and after he had a tough fight with Clottey. Then he did nothing but fight soft touches in Clottey and Margarito and like Ali wanting to fight Frazier in Manila got surprised by a game JMM in their third fight.

I prefer to not bring up Mayweather if it's not relevent but when you or anyone takes a stand on him or his resume but purposely chooses to overlook similar track records of other fighters, I feel an urge to point it out even if just to see if you will recognize the inconsistency.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Stop being inconsistent.

Your words were "Every fight has risk. Some are riskier than others." Since moving to welterweight, I don't see Manny Pacquiao having fought anymore riskier fights than Floyd Mayweather. The fact of the matter is Manny isn't the fighter Floyd is so he has tougher fights with comparable, at times lesser, competition. Manny fought Cotto but only at a catchweight and after he had a tough fight with Clottey. Then he did nothing but fight soft touches in Clottey and Margarito and like Ali wanting to fight Frazier in Manila got surprised by a game JMM in their third fight.

I prefer to not bring up Mayweather if it's not relevent but when you or anyone takes a stand on him or his resume but purposely chooses to overlook similar track records of other fighters, I feel an urge to point it out even if just to see if you will recognize the inconsistency.

I want to argue. I really do. But I to tired to do so. You have your opinion and I have mine. If you want to say they are inconsistent cause they don't line up with yours. That is cool. Like everything in line we see things differently. I'm cool with that concept.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
If you want to say they are inconsistent cause they don't line up with yours. That is cool.

It is also incorrect and makes me question your reading comprehensio and/or sanity.

I don't say your inconsistent because your opinion isn't in line with mine, it's not in line with your own. That's what makes you inconsistent like a Republican. I don't understand people who just say whatever based on the situation with no guiding principles.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
It is also incorrect and makes me question your reading comprehensio and/or sanity.

I don't say your inconsistent because your opinion isn't in line with mine, it's not in line with your own. That's what makes you inconsistent like a Republican. I don't understand people who just say whatever based on the situation with no guiding principles.

ok :yes: You got me.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

Ok now that we all recognize buk's trollish behavior, including buk himself for the first time... can we talk boxing without the bullshit?

Does Khan even have a chance at welter before Floyd? I mean he would have to beat Ortiz or Berto and if Peterson has him fighting scared, what will he do with those guys?

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Does Khan even have a chance at welter before Floyd? I mean he would have to beat Ortiz or Berto and if Peterson has him fighting scared, what will he do with those guys?

No. I would have said yes a few months ago but seeing how Peterson was backing him up, he would have problems with even harder punchers like Ortiz and Berto. I'd be more interested in seeing Peterson fight either of them before Khan. Either way, both guys need to move up and you have some new combinations for the divison, which sorely needs talent.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
No. I would have said yes a few months ago but seeing how Peterson was backing him up, he would have problems with even harder punchers like Ortiz and Berto. I'd be more interested in seeing Peterson fight either of them before Khan. Either way, both guys need to move up and you have some new combinations for the divison, which sorely needs talent.

Welter weight is going to be stacked again. All the 140 guys are moving up. I actually see a way for Khan to beat Ortiz and Berto, but he'll have to overhaul all the shit he's been doing. The question is will be smart enough to see it.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
not a good look for Team Roach...:smh:

It isn't bad. LOL, you guys are just used to seeing top fighters take easy fights. This was an easy fight. This is what boxing is supposed to be about. Lamont has proven himself to be a top fighter in 140. So when you match him up with anybody in the division. He has a chance to win.

tp2001

Star
Registered

Good question, and if he goes in the ring with those guys the same way he went in against Peterson and Maidana, he could get taste the canvas...

Those guys come with bombs like Marcos and have more skill. In addition to that, they won't mind taking a few of Khan's punches. Amir would have to move around after throwing 2 to 3 punch combos or else one of them would chin-check him. If that happens, forget about it...

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Good question, and if he goes in the ring with those guys the same way he went in against Peterson and Maidana, he could get taste the canvas...

Those guys come with bombs like Marcos and have more skill. In addition to that, they won't mind taking a few of Khan's punches. Amir would have to move around after throwing 2 to 3 punch combos or else one of them would chin-check him. If that happens, forget about it...

I actually wouldn't mind seeing how Maidana would do against Berto because with all Berto's talent he still prefers to fight reckless.

merce77

Star
Registered
It isn't bad. LOL, you guys are just used to seeing top fighters take easy fights. This was an easy fight. This is what boxing is supposed to be about. Lamont has proven himself to be a top fighter in 140. So when you match him up with anybody in the division. He has a chance to win.

I hear you - the problem is that he never looked that good until he fought Amir Khan. Not a good look for Khan.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I hear you - the problem is that he never looked that good until he fought Amir Khan. Not a good look for Khan.

I would argue the Ortiz fight made me take notice that Peterson is getting better and putting it all out there. Just in case he was having a couple of "Rahman" nights were everything aligned for him... he should smart. Khan has to break bread, people watch his fights and if Peterson can look even better the second time... his stock will be through the roof. There is really no reason to pull a JMM and fight a Chris John.