Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member

How Michael Jackson Helped Little Richard

When Michael Jackson bought the publishing rights to the Beatles catalog in 1985, he was unaware that the Beatles owned all of the rights to Little Richard’s publishing.
▪️Little Richard’s Unfair Publishing Deal
Richard had a deal for a few years before he hit it big with his 1955 hit, “Tutti Fruitti.” Seeing the success of the song and the potential revenue it would generate for years to come, Specialty Records owner, Art Rupe, convinced Richard to sell him the rights to the record. But he lowballed Richard by just buying the song for a reported $50 – despite Richard writing the song.
The terms of the contract gave Richard only half a cent for each record sold. The New York Times notes that once “Tutti Frutti” sold 500,000 copies, Richard earned just $25,000 from it. It was also reported that in addition to the low earnings per record sold, Richard did not receive royalties when his music was used in movies, sampled for commercials, or covered by other artists.
▪️Michael Jackson Buys a Music Catalog that Includes Little Richard’s and Gifts Richard his Publishing Back
Jackson famously purchased the publishing rights to the Beatles catalog in 1985 for $47 million – outbidding Beatles member Paul McCartney! There were 251 compositions in the catalog by the Beatles, as well as music by other artists, including Little Richard’s as Speciality Records’ music was included in the package.
At the time, Jackson was unaware that the Beatles owned all of the rights to Speciality Records publishing, which included Richard’s. Richard spoke of Jackson’s acquisition of the catalog in a 2004 interview with Rolling Stone and explained that Jackson even offered him a lifelong job.
“Michael Jackson owns the Specialty stuff now. He offered me a job with his publishing company once, for the rest of my life, as a writer,” he said. “At the time, I didn’t take it. I wish I had now.”
Jackson was noble and opted to gift Richard his publishing back before Jackson died. It’s reported that he did so for two reasons: he knew the struggles of black artists in Richard’s time and felt he deserved it.

HNIC

Commander
Staff member

How Michael Jackson Helped Little Richard

When Michael Jackson bought the publishing rights to the Beatles catalog in 1985, he was unaware that the Beatles owned all of the rights to Little Richard’s publishing.
▪️Little Richard’s Unfair Publishing Deal
Richard had a deal for a few years before he hit it big with his 1955 hit, “Tutti Fruitti.” Seeing the success of the song and the potential revenue it would generate for years to come, Specialty Records owner, Art Rupe, convinced Richard to sell him the rights to the record. But he lowballed Richard by just buying the song for a reported $50 – despite Richard writing the song.
The terms of the contract gave Richard only half a cent for each record sold. The New York Times notes that once “Tutti Frutti” sold 500,000 copies, Richard earned just $25,000 from it. It was also reported that in addition to the low earnings per record sold, Richard did not receive royalties when his music was used in movies, sampled for commercials, or covered by other artists.
▪️Michael Jackson Buys a Music Catalog that Includes Little Richard’s and Gifts Richard his Publishing Back
Jackson famously purchased the publishing rights to the Beatles catalog in 1985 for $47 million – outbidding Beatles member Paul McCartney! There were 251 compositions in the catalog by the Beatles, as well as music by other artists, including Little Richard’s as Speciality Records’ music was included in the package.
At the time, Jackson was unaware that the Beatles owned all of the rights to Speciality Records publishing, which included Richard’s. Richard spoke of Jackson’s acquisition of the catalog in a 2004 interview with Rolling Stone and explained that Jackson even offered him a lifelong job.
“Michael Jackson owns the Specialty stuff now. He offered me a job with his publishing company once, for the rest of my life, as a writer,” he said. “At the time, I didn’t take it. I wish I had now.”
Jackson was noble and opted to gift Richard his publishing back before Jackson died. It’s reported that he did so for two reasons: he knew the struggles of black artists in Richard’s time and felt he deserved it.
Great gesture by Mike.

Lexx Diamond

Staff member

The Aeta were the first people to settle the Philippines about 30,000 years ago. They live primarily on northern Luzon. They possess incredible knowledge of medicinal and other useful plants.
Code:
https://www.tumblr.com/yearningforunity/749851133564125184?source=share

Lexx Diamond

Staff member

“How can I lay down next to a white woman and tell her I love her, when I may have to kill her father, brothers, uncles and cousins in the morning?”

- Yosef Ben Jochannan -

Lexx Diamond

Staff member

Kent Ford, with his girlfriend (later wife) Sandra Ford, in 1970 when he led the Portland chapter of the Black Panthers.

Lexx Diamond

Staff member
041dd15ce51b500d8b5e564722b5ad3c1518fc05.pnj

Capoeira, Salvador de Bahia, Brazil. 2007.

Photo: Bruno Barbey

Source: magnumphotos.com

Lexx Diamond

Staff member

Open Pit Cooking: The History of The Maroon’s Underground Pit In Cockpit Country, Jamaica

The smokeless pit’s significance stems from the fact that the Maroons, who sought refuge in Cockpit Country—the mountain range surrounding the plantations where they’d previously been enslaved—had to sustain themselves without revealing their locations. If they cooked over an open fire, the smoke would betray them.

The smoke from the pit is enveloped in the architecture of the underground pit, containing it so that cooking does not give away the location to enemy forces. Jerk is precisely not barbecuing — another part of the lexicon derived from the early Indigenous colonial Caribbean.

https://thefunambulist.net/.../kitchen-marronage-a...

When the Maroons hid they would escape mainly to the Cockpit Country, that is, inaccessible and remote parts of the island where it was hilly and densely vegetated and established communities, which were frequently disrupted by the English. The Maroons have been divided into two groupings based on their location, windward and leeward.

The Maroons were Formerly enslaved Africans who fled to remote mountainous areas were called marron (French) or mawon (Haitian Creole), meaning 'escaped slave'. The maroons formed close-knit communities that practiced small-scale agriculture and hunting. They were known to return to plantations to free family members and friends.

The Spanish called these free slaves "Maroons," a word derived from "Cimarron," which means "fierce" or "unruly."

Lexx Diamond

Staff member
Mohammed Ali in Lagos:
Wearing the yoruba traditional white and brown stripped agbada costume, Mohammed Ali was greeted by a crowd of youngsters on a trip to Lagos, Nigeria on 01 June,1964.

3e9a39113d88d68a62edd04262ea2081.jpg