49ers

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Killa

Worth noting Cleveland once backed out of a trade that would have sent WR Josh Gordon to SF for RB Kendall Hunter and a 2nd-rd pick.

just one of those things we did actually try and do. the browns backed out of it and here we are with gordon.
i was apprehensive cause i could kind of see this coming.
you wanted him
we both were right. he would've played in 2014 and probably put us over the top for damn sure
AND
now he'd be suspended and people who don't like baalke would use this move as one of the bad moves he made

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
our mock draft according to niners nation

Round 1: John Jenkins, Nose Tackle

Round 2: T.J. McDonald, Safety

Round 3: John Simon, Defensive End

Round 3: Levine Toilolo, Tight End

Round 4: Marcus Lattimore, Running Back

Round 5: Jamar Taylor, Cornerback

Round 5: Marquess Wilson, Wide Receiver

Round 6: Jeff Baca, Offensive Line

Round 6: Keith Pough, Outside Linbebacker

Round 7: Caleb Sturgis, Kicker

Round 7: Rod Sweeting, Cornerback
:lol:

But seriously, I hope we are smart and look at this year and next as one draft... Because next year there should be some blue chip QB's on the board, so basically what we should do, is keep Kaep play him see what he got, if not trade him tank the season, put what ever scrub we have on the field and then draft the top QB with out top pic next year...
Next season should be all about developing talent, I know many folks ego want to win now, but its all about diligence and staying course and looking at the big picture...

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
CurtDawg's NFL Mock Draft (1st 8 picks)

1. Los Angeles Rams
** Jared Goff **
(They have to be drafting a QB...hometown kid for the new city/stadium)

2. Philadelphia Eagles
** Carson Wentz **
(You don't trade away all those picks unless it's a QB)

3. San Diego Chargers
** Laremy Tunsil **
(I can also see them possibly taking Ramsey)

4. Dallas Cowboys
** Jalen Ramsey **
(If Ramsey is gone, they might take Bosa or even Zeke Elliot)

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
** Joey Bosa **
(If Bosa is gone, Miles Jack would also be a good fit here)
(Not sure if they will pick Jack over Bosa, with Jack still having knee issues)

6. Baltimore Ravens
** Ronnie Stanley **
(They are going O-line or D-line for sure. I pray they pick Stanley over Buckner)

7. San Francisco 49ers
** DeForest Buckner **
( If we get this dude, our defense will be a nightmare for Qb's, for years to come. Buckner on one side, Armstead on the other side, just like they did at Oregon. Then Ian Williams to clog the middle. Dial is good for base running downs. Then Tank & Lynch getting after the QB's as Outside LB's. Brooks or Eli can come in on base running downs. I'm soooo sick & tired of seeing Brooks flagged for jumping offsides!!! To be honest though.....we might have to leapfrog over the Ravens to get Buckner. Make it happen Baalke)

8. Cleveland Browns
** Paxton Lynch **
(I hear they like him better than Goff or Wentz)

:shades::shades::shades::shades::shades:

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
For the first time in years I am not that excited about the NFL draft.. I think this year its about getting as much talent as possible, but next year its going to be a biggie, because by then we should have some pieces in place and our identity should be shaping up as a team...

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
For the first time in years I am not that excited about the NFL draft.. I think this year its about getting as much talent as possible, but next year its going to be a biggie, because by then we should have some pieces in place and our identity should be shaping up as a team...

Fam, Buckner & Armstead both will be beasts in our defense
No fuckin way in hell BOTH of them 1st rounders will be busts
Our defense just got better exponentially
Now if we somehow pick up Miles Jack in the bottom of the 2nd round.... we can be a top 10 defense again
If not Miles Jack, then our next pick might be a QB or the best O-linemen available
Have faith, this is a start, we're getting the pieces back in place slowly but surely

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Fam, Buckner & Armstead both will be beasts in our defense
No fuckin way in hell BOTH of them 1st rounders will be busts
Our defense just got better exponentially
Now if we somehow pick up Miles Jack in the bottom of the 2nd round.... we can be a top 10 defense again
If not Miles Jack, then our next pick might be a QB or the best O-linemen available
Have faith, this is a start, we're getting the pieces back in place slowly but surely

I am hoping but part of my mind keeps flashing back a few years back when OSU destroyed Oregon and their defense was dismantled... I know its college and there were other people on the team, but that game keeps flashing back...

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I am hoping but part of my mind keeps flashing back a few years back when OSU destroyed Oregon and their defense was dismantled... I know its college and there were other people on the team, but that game keeps flashing back...

But truthfully...
Given the concerns about Miles Jack's knee, and the pipe video on Tunsil's Twitter, it was the only way to go.
Who would you have wanted at the #7 pick if not Buckner ???

Buckner + Armstead == "The Twin Towers"
(When they play, they just need to keep their knees bent for leverage, since they are so tall)

:cool::cool::cool:

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
But truthfully...
Given the concerns about Miles Jack's knee, and the pipe video on Tunsil's Twitter, it was the only way to go.
Who would you have wanted at the #7 pick if not Buckner ???

Buckner + Armstead == "The Twin Towers"
(When they play, they just need to keep their knees bent for leverage, since they are so tall)

I want us to work on the OL just so we can know what we have at the qb position... But I get the pick don't hate it, I just don't think its a game changer at this point..

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I know it's early BUT...
Looking at the draft prospects
I'm really liking this kid from Oregon, DeForest Buckner

Take this with a grain of salt b/c I've been wrong on almost every 1st rd draft that Baalke has picked the last few years
We still don't know what will happen in free agency & at the combine yet
But just curious what you guys think of this dude from Oregon

Why we need a D-linemen?
a) No Lawrence Okoye project, no Justin Smith, no RayMac, no Darnell Dockett
b) Glen Dorsey tore his biceps last season, & then tore his ACL a couple months ago (around Thanksgiving time)
I think Dorsey will start 2016 on the PUP list & won't be available until midseason
c) Tony Jerod Eddie is not very good.
He's decent in run support, but not good in getting pressure on the QB. He's basically a career backup
d) I bet you guys forgot, they are converting Tank from the D-line to OLB
Tank wanted & the coaches asked him to drop some weight & play OLB instead
He looked decent getting pressure that last few games of this season as OLB
e) That leaves us with Quinton Dial & Arik Armstead as starters (unless we sign a good Dline free agent)

I'll admit, I was wrong about Armstead. He looked pretty good this year. You could see flashes that he will be a playmaker.
Take a look at Deforest Buckner's draft profile
He's the perfect 5 technique in a 3-4 defense
Dude is a clone of Armstead, but only better
Plus Buckner played with Armstead at Oregon & of course Chip Kelly coached there, so you know he has the inside info
Imagine..... Armstead & Buckner on this inside getting pressure...then Lynch & Tank on the outside getting pressure
Future young core for years
We could rush only 4 & drop everyone else back in coverage, no need to blitz much
Dial & Eli Harold can rotate in
Brooks & Lemonhead are on their way out anyway and Dorsey is getting old

I'm curious of what you guys think?
Here is the list of top draft prospects...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/all

BUMP.....ROADRAGE...POSTED BACK IN JANUARY !!!

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
BUMP.....ROADRAGE...POSTED BACK IN JANUARY !!!

I remember this post and I got my fingers crossed but I still see this draft as a two part draft, this years top ten and next year, what could be top five.. By then we should know all of our strengths and weaknesses meaning next year draft will be one of the biggest draft for our team in years... Question, what position we draft next, I'm hoping OL help..

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I remember this post and I got my fingers crossed but I still see this draft as a two part draft, this years top ten and next year, what could be top five.. By then we should know all of our strengths and weaknesses meaning next year draft will be one of the biggest draft for our team in years... Question, what position we draft next, I'm hoping OL help..

There you go !!!
Baalke must have heard you :D
I don't know much about this guard though
I'll have to do some research on him
I think we gave up our 4th rounder & 6th rounder
Hopefully it was worth the jump

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Im just seeing what we had to trade to get that pick, and to me if you give up that much picks your going to have to supplement the loss by signing free agents...
If we fail to sign additional players its only going to push back our developmental process because we need help in multiple positions..

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Im just seeing what we had to trade to get that pick, and to me if you give up that much picks your going to have to supplement the loss by signing free agents...
If we fail to sign additional players its only going to push back our developmental process because we need help in multiple positions..

We really don't. We needed extreme help on the line. The line held every other position of worth back. We solidified the defensive line with buckner. and we hopefully got us a 12 year pro on the offensive line right now.

honestly that is all we REALLY desperately needed. now if we can get another ilb we're good to go. a couple moving parts always affects the whole.

the lines was ass for us last year that's why we were ass along with coaching.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
We really don't. We needed extreme help on the line. The line held every other position of worth back. We solidified the defensive line with buckner. and we hopefully got us a 12 year pro on the offensive line right now.

honestly that is all we REALLY desperately needed. now if we can get another ilb we're good to go. a couple moving parts always affects the whole.

the lines was ass for us last year that's why we were ass along with coaching.
We still need a ilb, cb, wr, tight end, and running back.. If we can get that, then we can asses how our players play, and next year we can improve on our weak links..

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
Baalke must have a fetish for drafting dudes coming off injuries.
I hear you.
But reading up on the cb Will Redmond some had him as a 1st round talent before his injury.
Baalke says he'll be ready by TC.
With all draft picks we shall see

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Baalke must have a fetish for drafting dudes coming off injuries.

I just took a look at who we drafted
Baalke took yet ANOTHER dude with a popped ACL !!!
Baalke "claims" he will be ready by training camp but I seriously doubt that
He said the same bullshit about Jimmie Wards foot, when we drafted him !!!

He will probably be PHYSICALLY ready by the start of the preseason, but what about the mental side
Redmond will miss a large chunk of OTA's, rookie camp, training camp, etc (just like Jimmie Ward did)
Also dude still needs quite a bit of work
I took a look at some of his highlights
He covers good & has the speed to stick to WR's, but dude is terrible at tackling
Trying to get the highlight reel knockout, instead of just wrapping up & tackling properly (just like Dashon Goldson)

Here is what is going on.....
Baalke just said he thinks Redmond can be a nickel CB, sooooo read between the lines.....
He drafted this dude NOT because he was the best player available, he drafted him for a specific purpose
This is all because Baalke wants Jimmie Ward to finally slide over to safety, and wants to get rid of Antoine Bethea
Bethea is getting paid a lot this year & is getting up in age

Baalke overthinks things too much
Why did we not just take Bradley Roby instead of Jimmie Ward ???
Roby was right there man !!!
1. Drafted Ward (with a bad foot & still drafted him), instead of Roby
2. Was behind in learning b/c of the foot surgery
3. Made Ward play nickel CB, when he really is a FS
4. Had more complications with his foot & had to go on IR
5. The first year & a half consisted of bad play (trying to fit a square peg in a round hole), and injury problems
6. So far we've only got a half year of good play out of Ward (he stepped up the last half of last season)
7. Now we are switching him to his natural position (finally)
8. By the time he finally settles in & we get production out of him... his contract will damn near be over !!!

We should have just drafted Bradley Roby, got a full 4-5 years of production out of him b/c he's playing at his natural position
Then draft a safety next year (or even this draft) to replace Bethea, & get 4 years of production
Almost the same bullshit when Baalke reached for AJ Jenkins, when Alshon Jeffery was still sitting right there !!!

Last edited:

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Look at all the dudes we drafted in the last 5-6 years with torn ACL's
Do you know how many have worked out so far ??? None of them !!!
The problem is you draft these guys on a 4 year contract (rounds 2-7)
Then they sit out the first 1-2 years because of the injury
So by the time they actually start to produce & play well...their contract is almost over
Then Baalke tries to re-sign them on the cheap (which does not always happen)

2016 draft
Will Redmond
(We will see what happens with him)

2015 draft
DeAndre Smelter
(Went on I/R his first year b/c of his ACL surgery, still waiting to see about him)

2014 draft
Jimmie Ward
(Drafted him knowing he needed foot surgery. Only got 1/2 year of solid production out of him so far)
Brandon Thomas
(Still not healthy & not right b/c of his ACL surgery. So far 2 years of zero production)
Trey Millard
(Another ACL guy. Placed on I/R his first year then cut the next year)
Keith Reaser
(Another ACL guy. Still waiting for him to breakout? Isn't he still buried down the depth chart behind Acker & Johnson?
I always get Acker & Reaser mixed up)

2013 draft
Tank Carradine
(Another ACL guy. On top of that Baalke asked Tank to gain like 30 pounds & play D-line, instead of his natural position of OLB
So far 3 years of zero production. This is Tanks last year coming up)
Marcus Lattimore
(No further explanation needed here)

2012 draft
No one from this draft is even on the roster anymore !!!

2011 draft
I can't remember if we took anyone with ACL injuries this year
I know Kendall Hunter & Chris Culliver had injury problems, but I think that was after we drafted them not before

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Look at all the dudes we drafted in the last 5-6 years with torn ACL's
Do you know how many have worked out so far ??? None of them !!!
The problem is you draft these guys on a 4 year contract (rounds 2-7)
Then they sit out the first 1-2 years because of the injury
So by the time they actually start to produce & play well...their contract is almost over
Then Baalke tries to re-sign them on the cheap (which does not always happen)

2016 draft
Will Redmond
(We will see what happens with him)

2015 draft
DeAndre Smelter
(Went on I/R his first year b/c of his ACL surgery, still waiting to see about him)

2014 draft
Jimmie Ward
(Drafted him knowing he needed foot surgery. Only got 1/2 year of solid production out of him so far)
Brandon Thomas
(Still not healthy & not right b/c of his ACL surgery. So far 2 years of zero production)
Trey Millard
(Another ACL guy. Placed on I/R his first year then cut the next year)
Keith Reaser
(Another ACL guy. Still waiting for him to breakout? Isn't he still buried down the depth chart behind Acker & Johnson?
I always get Acker & Reaser mixed up)

2013 draft
Tank Carradine
(Another ACL guy. On top of that Baalke asked Tank to gain like 30 pounds & play D-line, instead of his natural position of OLB
So far 3 years of zero production. This is Tanks last year coming up)
Marcus Lattimore
(No further explanation needed here)

2012 draft
No one from this draft is even on the roster anymore !!!

2011 draft
I can't remember if we took anyone with ACL injuries this year
I know Kendall Hunter & Chris Culliver had injury problems, but I think that was after we drafted them not before
Doing the same dumb shit expecting different results never stopped Wile E Coyote.....

Bumpee

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just took a look at who we drafted
Baalke took yet ANOTHER dude with a popped ACL !!!
Baalke "claims" he will be ready by training camp but I seriously doubt that
He said the same bullshit about Jimmie Wards foot, when we drafted him !!!

He will probably be PHYSICALLY ready by the start of the preseason, but what about the mental side
Redmond will miss a large chunk of OTA's, rookie camp, training camp, etc (just like Jimmie Ward did)
Also dude still needs quite a bit of work
I took a look at some of his highlights
He covers good & has the speed to stick to WR's, but dude is terrible at tackling
Trying to get the highlight reel knockout, instead of just wrapping up & tackling properly (just like Dashon Goldson)

Here is what is going on.....
Baalke just said he thinks Redmond can be a nickel CB, sooooo read between the lines.....
He drafted this dude NOT because he was the best player available, he drafted him for a specific purpose
This is all because Baalke wants Jimmie Ward to finally slide over to safety, and wants to get rid of Antoine Bethea
Bethea is getting paid a lot this year & is getting up in age

Baalke overthinks things too much
Why did we not just take Bradley Roby instead of Jimmie Ward ???
Roby was right there man !!!
1. Drafted Ward (with a bad foot & still drafted him), instead of Roby
2. Was behind in learning b/c of the foot surgery
3. Made Ward play nickel CB, when he really is a FS
4. Had more complications with his foot & had to go on IR
5. The first year & a half consisted of bad play (trying to fit a square peg in a round hole), and injury problems
6. So far we've only got a half year of good play out of Ward (he stepped up the last half of last season)
7. Now we are switching him to his natural position (finally)
8. By the time he finally settles in & we get production out of him... his contract will damn near be over !!!

We should have just drafted Bradley Roby, got a full 4-5 years of production out of him b/c he's playing at his natural position
Then draft a safety next year (or even this draft) to replace Bethea, & get 4 years of production
Almost the same bullshit when Baalke reached for AJ Jenkins, when Alshon Jeffery was still sitting right there !!!

You broke it down way better than i could.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
We still need a ilb, cb, wr, tight end, and running back.. If we can get that, then we can asses how our players play, and next year we can improve on our weak links..

nah we don't. we def don't need running back or tight end for sure. we're more than good at wr with smelter coming back 100% and some good young talent we'll actually get to see because chip knows offense
we improved our weak lines this year which is the point. we drafted 2 starters. that's what you want.
now we need ilb and im good. we took too many db's this draft. all we needed was 1. dontae on one side. let whoever fight for the other. ward is a stud have reid and tartt. bathea probably gonna get traded.

just get 2 good ilb to accompany bow let lynch on one side and harold who's up to 270lbs on the other side and lets roll

not a fan of the acl picks anymore. they were forward thinking 3 years ago but they have to actually pan out to make sense.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
nah we don't. we def don't need running back or tight end for sure. we're more than good at wr with smelter coming back 100% and some good young talent we'll actually get to see because chip knows offense
we improved our weak lines this year which is the point. we drafted 2 starters. that's what you want.
now we need ilb and im good. we took too many db's this draft. all we needed was 1. dontae on one side. let whoever fight for the other. ward is a stud have reid and tartt. bathea probably gonna get traded.

just get 2 good ilb to accompany bow let lynch on one side and harold who's up to 270lbs on the other side and lets roll

not a fan of the acl picks anymore. they were forward thinking 3 years ago but they have to actually pan out to make sense.
We are thin at rb and I don't think our current crop of tight ends are going to be around when we turn this ship around.. So from now till next year both positions must be addressed...

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
We are thin at rb and I don't think our current crop of tight ends are going to be around when we turn this ship around.. So from now till next year both positions must be addressed...
disagree hyde davis are good money.
tight end wise we only lost vernon who was sleep walking the past 2 years anyway
we can't judge the offense because we haven't had a coach that actually knew how to use offensive piece to their maximum potential in 15 years.
look at how chip kelly will make a bruce ellington look finally lol

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
We have a lot of bodies at RB, but not quality guys behind Carlos Hyde
I did not like Davis
He does not have good vision, alot of times he missed the whole, and/or did not see the cutback lane
I think Davis would be better in a power run scheme like Gore, rather than the zone blocking scheme we run now
And Shawn Droughn is not very good (he's decent catching passes out the backfield though)

At tight end, same situation
We have a lot of bodies but not really quality depth
Vance looks like a bust...dude can't catch a cold & as big is he is, always seems to be injured (dinged up) every year
I like Garrett Celek more, but he isn't a top TE prospect...just decent, but nothing special
We still have to see what we have with Blake Bell & Busta Anderson

But we definitely need Inside LB help
Can't let Micheal Wilhoite start again this year
I like Scooby Wright with our last 5th round pick
He reminds me a little of Chris Borland (the way he plays)

Bumpee

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
disagree hyde davis are good money.
tight end wise we only lost vernon who was sleep walking the past 2 years anyway
we can't judge the offense because we haven't had a coach that actually knew how to use offensive piece to their maximum potential in 15 years.
look at how chip kelly will make a bruce ellington look finally lol

How are you so confident in Mike Davis? He looked like shit last year. Smelter didn't play last year, and he came from an offense where he was under-utilized. McDonald is someone you can upgrade at TE, and Blake Bell is still kind of a project there. And then all these fuckin projects he keeps drafting. Get some motherfuckers who are ready to contribute. These arent the Harbaugh years anymore.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
How are you so confident in Mike Davis? He looked like shit last year. Smelter didn't play last year, and he came from an offense where he was under-utilized. McDonald is someone you can upgrade at TE, and Blake Bell is still kind of a project there. And then all these fuckin projects he keeps drafting. Get some motherfuckers who are ready to contribute. These arent the Harbaugh years anymore.

the entire team looked like shit and bad coaching will do that for you. smelter was ready last year but they held him out. im not saying all of our problems are solved. i am saying i am interested in seeing what someone who maximizes offensive potential can do with these skilled players.
someone who won't sit bruce ellington all year and not have him in the slot. someone who will actually play multiple people. that's all.
offensively i feel we have enough tools to work with something and put up points. even with the shitty coaching last year when they actually called a good game kap put up numbers right?
so im saying we need an ilb desperately. if we get us a good ilb then we can set the defense. wihoite is just not good enough to be a starter man. not even close and trotting him out there next to bow is a disservice to the entire defense.

line is set. im elated with the line. armstead, tank, williams, dial, dorsey and now buckner? yea
db's im happy with the secondary as is. really happy. we got some ballers back there and pressure up front.

but the middle? man we can't have that shit teams would literally find where wihoite or his equivalent was and then just line up a wr right there, throw it to them and march down the field every time all year lol.

we need that more than anything. it was both lines
and then ilb for me.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
I will say this, with out our liines intact, especially the offensive line, there is no way of knowing how good or bad our players are, this is why I was crying out for us to build the offensive line last year, so we could at least access our qb and wr position and get a good feel on our running backs...
Now its a year later and we still don't know how good or bad Kaep is and their are nothing but question marks surroning the rest of the team..
This year we going to have to do a full team audit, position by position just to find out how much talent we have and by next year we should be able to build upon that knowledge..

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
We continue to rebuild the OL (3 picks so far ) and DL (2 picks so far)

The 2 cb selected are a bit puzzling. Thought we were set there.

Baalke must be going BPA obviously. These ILB must not be shit this year.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor

My thinking

This leads me to believe that next year, depending on how our qb perform, may be qb first, ILB 2nd, and perhaps we sign a big name free agent w.r. and after that we fill in our spots that is lacking..
But to be real, there are teams that do exactly what we do year after year for decades and still lose... Hopefully things will work out for us and some of that shit we throw to the wall will stick...

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
nfldraft-deforest-buckner-042816-getty-ftrjpg_1t6gx2dkxu3fy13lzy0tzpx25u.jpg