2007 Draft Thread

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
i agree. i think detroit got a good pick in raymond stuckey. whether or not he gets good minutes remains to be seen.

i think nick young was also a good pick. fits in with the high scoring and little defense wizards.

with the nets PERPETUALLY in need of size, it was a no brainer they were going to take a gamble on sean williams.

re: kevin mchale. will he have a job? probably. does he deserve to keep that job? if he doesn't make some additional moves in the following week, probably not. they are over the cap, and have a ton of dead weight and a few unhappy players.

golden state took a euro. WOW, big surprise. LOL.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
why isn't anybody talking about THIS trade?

guess that explains why the warriors took the 6-5 euro.

presumably it fills the rebounding void created by al harrington, but i thought golden state wanted to leaner and quicker, not longer and taller.

Thursday, June 28, 2007
Source: Warriors send Richardson to Bobcats for rookie forward Wright

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

Brandan Wright had a very short stay as a Charlotte Bobcat. The Bobcats traded the draft rights to Brandan Wright to the Golden State Warriors on Thursday for Jason Richardson, a source told ESPN.com Insider Chad Ford.

Bobcats part-owner Michael Jordan has been saying for weeks that he didn't want a rookie but wanted an established player who could help put the Bobcats in the playoffs. Richardson is coming off a great playoff run for the Warriors and fits a big need for the Bobcats at shooting guard.

For the Warriors, the deal clears cap room, rids the team of a log jam at the two and gives them a young athletic power forward to pair in the frontcourt with Andris Biedrins.

Last edited:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
LMBAO @ the trade reaction by the NY fans

so FOR NOW, are we to assume that the portland trailblazers lineup will be:

jarrett jack
brandon roy
ime udoka
lamarcus aldridge/channing frye
greg oden

IMO, that doesn't exactly look like a powerhouse team destined to win the NW. don't get me wrong, i like it, but it doesn't look to be the "team of the future".

and what about the sonics? what a jumbled mess.

delonte west
???
kevin durant
chris wilcox
nick collison

who is going to take the starting SG spot? and by trading for jeff green, does that mean seattle does not intend to re-sign rashard lewis?

charlotte has the makings of a BEAST if they can re-sign gerald wallace:

raymond felton/brevin knight
jason richardson
gerald wallace
emeke okafor/sean may

the bobcats don't really have a C, and raymond felton is a little too wild for my taste, which will hurt in the long run, but that's not a bad foundation. but i'm wondering what they do with the log jam they now have with matt carroll and adam morrison.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
LMBAO @ the trade reaction by the NY fans

on the NY side, did they REALLY improve?

stephon marbury
jamal crawford
quentin richardson
zach randolph
eddy curry

i was thinking they would make a strong move (a trade) for a SF. there's still time.

the milwaukee bucks really puzzle me.

if they re-sign mo williams, they would put this line up on the floor?

mo williams
michael redd
bobby simmons
charlie villanueva/yi jianlan
andrew bogut

that team has a lot of scoring upside, but little defense and rebounding upside. i really thought they would draft corey brewer as a backup to bobby simmons.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
After watching the draft last night, I felt prett bad about some of the deals that took place and some of the picks.

The winners of the "what the fuck?!" awards definitely go to -

Atlanta (Too many forwards)
Golden State (I think they took a step back trading Richardson)
Houston (Aaron Brooks in the 1st round?)
Phildadelpia (Too many forwards)
LA Clippers (drafted a player they didnt need)
Every team that drafted a euro bum in the 1st or 2nd round

Rollie_Fingaz said:
Oden is first (as expected)

**The Sonics and Celtics have agreed to a trade which will see Ray Allen join Paul Pierce in Boston, while the fifth pick, Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak will be headed to Seattle. The Sonics will take Jeff Green with pick 5, if available.**

I'm shocked to see this trade. Obviously Sam Presti is trying to show the NBA that the Sonics are HIS team. Is Boston now ready to compete at a higher level with a SG/SF combo of Allen/Pierce? Rajon Randon is pretty erratic right now but he could be a 14-7 PG down the line.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Sixers take....Young??

Don't like it They need a post player. I thought they were big on Big Baby..

Yup, Philadelphia drafted some good players but they dont fit with anything that the 76ers need right now. The two Billy's (Knight and King) must be stockpiling for a trade or they are stupid.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
so FOR NOW, are we to assume that the portland trailblazers lineup will be:

jarrett jack
brandon roy
ime udoka
lamarcus aldridge/channing frye
greg oden

IMO, that doesn't exactly look like a powerhouse team destined to win the NW. don't get me wrong, i like it, but it doesn't look to be the "team of the future".

You're right. Ime is a free agent that might not get re-signed. Steve Francis coming in to play PG? Pritchard finally got a PG he coveted. Pritchard seems to have gone mad with the amount of trading and I'll miss Randolph.

As much as the team says they were ready to move forward, I'm not sure because I think the team is too young to compete now. There is no go to player, not enough leadership on the court, and Pritchard is going to continue to tinker with the roster before even letting things play out.

cranrab said:
and what about the sonics? what a jumbled mess.

delonte west
???
kevin durant
chris wilcox
nick collison

who is going to take the starting SG spot? and by trading for jeff green, does that mean seattle does not intend to re-sign rashard lewis?

It was reported last night the the starting lineup with probably be (assuming the re-sign Lewis)

Ridnour
Green
Lewis
Durant
Swift/Petro

I agree about Seattle being a mess. Same with Pritchard in Portland, it seems like these 1st year GMs were trying to go above and beyond to showcase their power.

cranrab said:
charlotte has the makings of a BEAST if they can re-sign gerald wallace:

raymond felton/brevin knight
jason richardson
gerald wallace
emeke okafor/sean may

the bobcats don't really have a C, and raymond felton is a little too wild for my taste, which will hurt in the long run, but that's not a bad foundation. but i'm wondering what they do with the log jam they now have with matt carroll and adam morrison.

I like Charlotte's team and thought they did well last year despite limited talent. I'm really excited about watching games in the EAST next year as I think a lot of teams really helped their position.

I wonder what Charlotte is going to do with all world foward Walter Hermmann... Being that he was putting up 22 and 6 towards the end of the year :rolleyes:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Great thread. Some much needed info for those of us (like myself)
with no cable. I have ZERO knowledge of any of these players.
I'm assuming that they have the sufficient skills needed being that
they're all 1st round picks

I like Portland's move. I do not think Zack is gonna fit into
NYC. Too many stripclubs. Although I am glad Francis is gone,
now Nate Robinson can get the burn he needs. Put him and
Crawford in the STARTING lineup and have Steph come in
with the second unit for instant offense....he will still get his
30 minutes a game and he will have free reign to take whatever
shot he wants to take. Then Morris, Balkman and Jeffries can
go get all his mistakes

Knicks:
Curry
Randolph
LEE
Crawford
Robinson

This starting lineup (and bench) WILL win 50 games

Eager to see the new Blazers without Randolph hogging
the ball and Roy with a years experience under his belt.
Don't think Franchise is starting here. But should have a
role similar to the one I suggested for Steph in NY. 25-30
minutes off the bench. Jarrett Jack doesn't have a lock on the
spot, but does have great chemistry with Roy and Aldridge

Portland:
Oden
Aldridge (sleeper)
Udoka (drafted by who??)
Roy (possible breakout)
Jack (25 minutes)

Seattle is going to be very interesting. If they don't resign
Lewis, (I think they will now) they will be wide open with a
couple of farm fresh rookies. Should be very exciting, although
I'm not sure Hill is the guy for the job.

If the Nets can get O'Neal for Jefferson, they should do it. I
would feel bad if Jefferson leaves though. I'd rather let Carter
go. You can replace his scoring, but you can't replace heart.
Carter doesn't have much

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
More power moves by the Blazer origanization:

Warriors Also Acquire $10 Million Exception
June 29, 2007 - 12:03 pm
San Francisco Chronicle -
Along with Brandan Wright, the Warriors also acquired a $10 million trade exception from the Bobcats, they now become a major player in this summer's trade market. The Warriors now have the ability to absorb contracts up to $10 million while offering a team instant financial relief.

This could of course lead to another deal.

Chris Mullin acknowledged speaking to the Timberwolves this week, presumably about Kevin Garnett.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
cranrab said:
on the NY side, did they REALLY improve?

stephon marbury
jamal crawford
quentin richardson
zach randolph
eddy curry

i was thinking they would make a strong move (a trade) for a SF. there's still time.

Isiah will try to bring in Lewis (that is his natural spot anyway.

On the Portland side, talks have already begun on buying out Steve Francis. He would be an asset to teams that need a PG (like the Clippers or Lakers. If he's back in shape, maybe even Cleveland looks at him)

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
A Debacle Royal By Ainge?
Authored by Christopher Lehane - 29th June, 2007 - 2:30 pm

Yesterday, I wrote a piece to opine on what I was hoping for from the C's out of the draft. Today is my time to whine.

Moving the fifth pick, Wally and Delonte ONLY makes sense if it is indeed part of a well thought-out larger plan *- and I don't mean a hope and a prayer but a real, concrete plan with specific back-ups and alternatives in place.

If the Allen trade allows the team to move Big Al, Theo and some additional consideration to make it work financially for KG (who may have nixed Boston initially solely because of Wally, though I am guessing his antipathy to Boston was more than just the fact he holds Wally in minimal high regard) - then it makes sense. I can certainly understand a team that includes a KG-Pierce-Allen trifecta (though based on what we know right now, this lineup seems to fall into the hope and a prayer category). Alternatively, if this trade allows the Celtics to keep Big Al but and do a sign-and-trade involving Green, Theo, etc., for AK47 (or a combination that works financially) then I can see a team that will at least be watch-able in the East.

However, if this move is what it feels, smells and tastes like - a panic move - then it is a debacle royal. Ray Allen is a class act; I liked him in Spike's hoops film; he has been a great shooter -* but he does not make the Celtics any better and I believe represents a step backward. The Celts trading for Allen is akin to the Knicks re-signing Allan Houston - he does not address the team's needs and, at best, is a lateral move and more likely a step backward.

Watching the Celts last year on the NBA League Pass, it was clear that the team just does not have a great chemistry (with the possible exception of when Pierce was out and the youth corps had to play, of course, that chemistry led to a lot of losses despite the evident hustle). I just do not see how bringing on a 32-year-old shooting guard whose game is somewhat duplicative of Pierce's game; who is a defensive liability; and who is coming off of double ankle surgery is going to make Boston a better team.

For Allen to be effective, he needs shots. For Pierce to be effective, he needs shots. For Big Al to be effective, he needs shots. And, off course, the need for a lot of shots to around is compounded by the fact that the point guard by definition now is Rondo - who can't shoot - which means that defenses can play five on four when Boston is in half-court offense. It was painful watching the Celtics last year - watching this line-up will be like sticking a fork in one's eye 82 times.

What the Celtics are in desperate need of is a either an All-Star caliber glue guy - in the mold of a Pippen or a Josh Howard (defined as someone who make the team a team by doing all of the intangibles at a very high level) - or a transformative player (defined as someone who really makes people around them better - something none of the current players on the Celtics - roster as it is presently constructed are able to do).

For these reasons, I would much, much, much rather have taken a flyer on Yi (who could end up being the Bosh of this draft) or on Brewer - as safe a pick as you had in the draft after the top two - and then use the team's tradable assets (youth and/or expiring contracts) to go after some additional players to build around.

All you need to know about this trade is that the 30-year-old GM of the Seatte/Oklahoma Supersonics/Oilers praised the Celtics and complimented them for the trade, which is the major league sports equivalent of the Mafia kiss. The C's either have a bigger plan in place that should start to become clear on Sunday, when the free-agency period starts, or by the All-Star break, when this team is battling Philly for last in the Atlantic, Boston fans will be looking to throw someone to the fishes in Boston Harbor.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Milwaukee may face obstacles to get top pick Yi on team

Associated Press

Updated: June 29, 2007, 1:49 AM ET

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Bucks said they've made a global impact by selecting Yi Jianlian.

But that's only if they can get Yi, selected with the sixth pick in the NBA draft, to a city his handlers had shunned in the weeks leading up to Thursday night.

Disregarding his desire to play in a city with a heavy Asian influence -- there are only about 27,500 Asian Americans in Milwaukee -- the Bucks picked the 6-foot-11 forward to become the fourth Chinese player to make the NBA.

The question is whether he'll ever wear a Bucks uniform.

"I think so," Yi said. "It's a surprise to me. ... I'm not really familiar with the city as well, but I'm happy to be playing with the team and happy to play in the NBA."

Bucks general manager Larry Harris said Yi was rated third on the Bucks' draft board, and will showcase Milwaukee to China.

"It's global now," Harris said. "Chinese basketball is huge and it's growing and to have one of their countrymen that is actually very, very good and can play and is young and can be here for a long time, I don't know how it's not a windfall for us."

Yi is not scheduled to appear in Milwaukee, but instead will join the Chinese national team and scrimmage on Sunday and Tuesday in Dallas before heading to Las Vegas to play in the NBA summer league.

Harris said he wasn't sure if he'd meet with Yi's representatives in Dallas or Las Vegas, but that playing for the national team is Yi's priority.

"Based on timing, there wasn't any way to get him in here," Harris said. "I don't want anybody to be misled that that's a bad thing. Certainly we would encourage him to come here as soon as he could."

Questions about his defense, strength and age also surround Yi Jianlian (pronounced EE TEE-an-LEE-an), who has been protected by handlers who wanted him in a city like Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia or the Bay area.

Agent Dan Fegan did not allow the Bucks to hold a private workout or see Yi, but did allow teams as low as the Sixers, with the 12th pick, to take a look at one of the draft's most unknown talents during a workout in Los Angeles. Harris said Philadelphia was among several teams that called and tried to trade for the pick.

Harris said Fegan was surprised at the Bucks' pick.

"He was shocked," Harris said. "I told him several weeks ago that we're going to take the best player. ... We think he's one of the best players and if he turns out to be the best one at six, we're going to take him."

Fegan did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Yi said the Bucks never watched him workout in China, either, but Harris said that wasn't accurate.

"We felt comfortable from our standpoint, we did not need to go out there to confirm or deny our own feelings about Yi as a player," Harris said of the Los Angeles workout. "We spent a week in Qatar to see him play. ... We saw him in Japan for the World Championships. We saw him in the Olympics two years ago. We've been to China. We've estimated we've seen him over 20 times in the last four years. Rest assured, we know him."

Fan reaction at the Bradley Center, where the Bucks play, was mixed -- with about half the crowd standing and cheering.

His English is basic, but better than Yao Ming's when he was picked five years ago. Yi has been in the United States for several weeks adjusting, and unlike the three Chinese who played before him -- Yao, Wang Zhizhi and Mengke Bateer, he was on hand to witness his selection.

"I played for a national team for a couple of years, I think I'm ready," Yi said.

Yi has a deft shooting touch from the wing, soft hands and an athletic body in the mold of Pau Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies. But some teams shied away from him because of the influence to put him in a large Asian market.

"I was really surprised they took Yi, mostly because I was getting the same faxes they were getting," said Kevin McHale, vice president of basketball operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Chinese Basketball Association lists Yi's birthday as Oct. 27, 1987 -- which would make him 19 at draft time. But he has long been rumored older.

Yi played on China's 2004 Olympic team and 2006 world championship team. In the Chinese league this season, he averaged 25 points and 12 rebounds with the Guangdong Tigers.

In 2004, Del Harris coached the National Team of China and watched Yi develop.

"When my father was coaching him on the Chinese national team, they thought he was going to be a small forward," Larry Harris said. "Now his body has grown. He's 238 pounds, he's a legitimate power forward that not only can score, but can really shoot the ball outside."

Yi appears to fit in well with the Bucks, who stumbled to the third-worst record in the league last season after injuries to four of five starters. If Milwaukee is able to keep free agent guard Mo Williams, Yi would join a rotation that includes Michael Redd, forwards Bobby Simmons and Charlie Villanueva and center Andrew Bogut, the No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft.

The Bucks also picked 6-foot-3 point guard Ronald Sessions in the second round with the 56th overall pick. Sessions was a pass-first point guard at Nevada that they hope to develop.

The team also could make a run at signing free agent Chauncey Billups, a veteran who expressed interest last year in signing with Milwaukee.

LongJohnJayDEE

Star
Registered
I'm not sure about the Hawks picks Al Horford and Acie Law, they already had Marvin Williams and Sheldon Williams. Acie Law reminds me of Salim Stoudemire a player that they already had before they picked him.

I think they should have tried to get Amare Stoudemire.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
A Debacle Royal By Ainge?

unless they plan to turn the celtics into an east coast version of the warriors or suns, i can't see the current lineup working either.

a now perimeter heavy team, the celtics need to have a post presence to even out the O. it doesn't bode well that their greatest needs are in the 2 most important positions (PG, C).

like the rest of the world, i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Milwaukee may face obstacles to get top pick Yi on team

Disregarding his desire to play in a city with a heavy Asian influence -- there are only about 27,500 Asian Americans in Milwaukee -- the Bucks picked the 6-foot-11 forward to become the fourth Chinese player to make the NBA.

Could you imagine if a brotha told an NBA GM he would only play
in a city where there's a heavy African influence?? They sure do
cater to these foreign cats

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
RunawaySlave said:
Could you imagine if a brotha told an NBA GM he would only play
in a city where there's a heavy African influence?? They sure do
cater to these foreign cats

More on this:

Agent: Yi seeking trade from Bucks

Posted: Tuesday July 3, 2007 8:37AM; Updated: Tuesday July 3, 2007 8:49AM

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- Yi Jianlian's Chinese agent says he's talking to other teams about a possible trade away from Milwaukee.

Yi, the Bucks' top pick, has refused to talk about the prospect of playing for Milwaukee after he was picked sixth overall in last week's NBA draft.

However, Yi's agent Zhao Gang was quoted as telling the official China Daily newspaper that he was already in contact with other franchises that have expressed an interest in the 19-year-old power forward.

"His representatives and I won't sit here and do nothing just because he was picked by Milwaukee," Zhao was quoted as saying.

"We are considering Yi's future at the Bucks and are looking at trade possibilities," Zhao said.

Agent Dan Fegan pushed for Yi to go to a city with a heavy Asian influence. According to census data, Milwaukee has a little more than 1,200 Chinese residents.

Yi is in Dallas with the China National Senior Team for two exhibition games. He said Monday that he was looking forward to playing against the Dallas Mavericks Summer Team on Tuesday. But he declined for the second straight day to talk about the NBA.

"I don't want to talk about that," he said and walked away from reporters.

Yi courted controversy before the draft when access to his workouts was tightly restricted to just a few teams. There have even been questions about his true age, with some reports putting his birth year as early as 1984, partly because sports authorities are known to report their players as younger than they actually are to keep them eligible for junior competitions.

Yi's apparent disappointment with being picked by Milwaukee contrasted strikingly with fellow China national team member Sun Yue's delight at his selection by the Los Angeles Lakers. Sun was the 40th player selected.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Winners Of Draft Day Trades
Authored by Jason M. Williams - 4th July, 2007 - 5:13 pm

Thirteen deals took place during the 2007 NBA Draft, but the majority of them will have minimal impact on the current state of the teams involved. Only six Draft Day Deals saw current NBA veterans or first round picks exchange cities. Due to the obscure names that normally accompany second round selections, this column will only focus on the deals that warranted first round attention. While this analysis will ignore the deals made for those taken in the second round, that does not necessarily mean they are unimportant to the future success of the respective franchises.

Each deal will first be identified, followed by an analysis from each team’s perspective, and concluded with the winner of the trade being crowned.

1) Seattle trades Ray Allen and the rights to the 35th pick (Glen Davis) to Boston for Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West, and the 5th pick (Jeff Green), and a future second rounder.

Stepping back from this blockbuster deal, it appears that it will forever go down as “The Ray Allen for Jeff Green Trade.†However, it may be the other cogs in the deal that could make or break the deal for one of these two teams looking to rebound from their poor season.

The Celtics were in a position where they were unsure what to do with their fifth overall selection. Already equipped with a team laced with youngsters, it made little sense to put another unproven rookie on the floor with Paul Pierce. After failing to secure the much-coveted first or second overall selection during the Draft Lottery, the Celtics realized they had no choice but to obtain a sidekick for The Truth. Initially targeting Kevin Garnett, the Celtic plans were foiled. Not only did The Big Ticket veto the deal that was supposedly agreed to in principle, but the Timberwolves felt they needed to add someone with more star power than an Al Jefferson or a Gerald Green.

In obtaining the soon-to-be 32-year-old outside shooting sniper, the Celts only had to relinquish the fifth overall pick – which they weren’t enamored with owning in the first place, Wally’s ridiculous contract (2 yrs/$25M), and one of their many quality young guards in Delonte West.

It is true that the list of quality shooting guards that have experienced continued success past the age of 32 begins and ends with future Hall of Famer Reggie Miller. And it is also true that Ray Allen is coming off ankle surgeries, but Boston must be excited about the potentially deadly triangle they are now equipped with by adding a capable scoring sidekick to enhance the opportunities for Paul Pierce and Big Al Jefferson to exploit defenses in the East.

In addition to the deal, the Celts were able to get their hands on another burly body for their frontcourt. Once thought of as a lock for a lottery selection, Glen “Big Baby†Davis dropped off the charts after deciding to stick around for another year at LSU and growing concerns over his weight problems had lowered the draft stock of the fleet-footed big man. At the 36th pick, he could prove to be a steal in this draft.

On the flip side, this move is a bit intriguing for the Sonics. They were able to secure two of the top five picks in one of the deeper drafts in recent history, while only giving up an expensive shooting guard who may have seen his best days as a pro. The thing that makes this move so interesting is that they used the fifth pick to select the multi-talented Jeff Green, rather than injecting life into their struggling franchise on the verge of relocation by selecting immediate fan favorite Yi Jianlian. Not only would Yi have offered a cultural spectacle for the fans of Seattle similar to the way hometown hero Ichiro Suzuki of the Seattle Mariners did at the turn of the century, but would also allow the franchise to benefit immensely from the international stardom and marketability that Yi would bring to the table. It also doesn’t hurt that Yi is a big man with incredible agility and fluidity to his game, something the Sonics are currently devoid of in the paint.

Looking at the glass half full, Jeff Green has the tools to emerge as a star in the league. When paired with Kevin Durant, the two could spearhead the ascent up the Northwest Division standings for years to come. Delonte West has proven to be a very tenacious defender with a streaky shot and is as much a gamer as anyone in the league. His effect on the team will show on the floor and he will team with Luke Ridnour to help the two top five picks settle into the league nicely.

The wild card of this deal is Wally Szczerbiak. If he can come back from his injury-plagued season and be the steady veteran scorer he was capable of two years ago, his contribution to the squad will be instrumental in keeping this franchise in contention out West. Their glaring hole at two-guard would be filled in perfectly if he is able to regain his form and game he possessed in Minnesota…but that is a big if, and unless this unlikely scenario unfolds, the verdict has just been read:

Winner: Boston Celtics

2) Portland trades Zach Randolph, Dan Dickau, and Fred Jones to New York for Steve Francis and Channing Frye. Portland also trades the rights to the 53rd pick (Demetris Nichols) to New York for a 2008 second round pick.

There were two parts to this deal between these two franchises trying to turn around their luck of late. Both teams looked past the talent level in order to remove enormous headaches in attempt to gain some control over the locker room while tinkering with the chemistry of each squad.

Judging by the explosion of cheers from the Knick fans in attendance at the WaMu Theater on Draft Night 2007, it is apparent what they think of Isiah’s latest move. It is obvious that the focus of this deal for the Knicks was to rid themselves of the selfish shell-of-his-former-self Steve Francis and his bloated contract (2 yrs/$34M). While 28 of the other 29 General Managers in the league saw this as an impossible task, lucky for Isiah, he called the right one. While it may seem like the Blazers and GM Kevin Pritchard are ‘unintelligent’ for taking the overpaid Francis, it was also their primary concern to unload the troubled Zach Randolph along with his laundry list of previous crime, hoodlum-esque actions, and his long term loaded contract (4 yrs/$61M).

The cap relief the Blazers will see from ridding themselves of Randolph will not show for the next two years, but in the summer of 2009, when Francis and Raef LaFrentz and their combined $30M come off the books, the Blazers will be in perfect position to start locking up the future stars of tomorrow – Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Greg Oden – to long-term deals that will keep them on top for years to come. The Blazers are expected to buy out the contract of Steve Francis in order to preserve the chemistry of their budding team and avoid constant bickering from the often difficult combo guard.

Along with The Franchise, Portland also received the former Knick power forward, Channing Frye, who brings with him a sweet mid-range jumper and a ton of upside. However, Frye was falling out of favor in New York as critics were concerned his defense was particularly shoddy and his toughness resembled that of a Fainting Goat. Frye will continue to work hard and provide the Blazers with yet another great character guy and a strong big man shooting option off the bench for years to come.

As for the Knicks end of the deal, they were able to obtain the player with the most talent in the deal. Coming off a career high 23.6 points and 10.1 rebounds per game in Portland, it is strongly believed that Zach Randolph could become a dominant force in the East. With Eddy Curry already manning the post, this acquisition guarantees that the Knicks have a formidable presence down low for all 48 minutes of every game.

When both Curry and Randolph are on the floor, Randolph will draw defenders to him and help reduce the abusive double- and triple-teams Curry faced last season. Randolph also has the ability to step out, face his man, and is equipped with both quick deceptive moves off the dribble as well as a sweet mid-range jump shot. While his off-court antics have demonstrated his immaturity and reason to believe he disrupts team chemistry, it cannot be denied that he is a strong force in the paint. Both he and Curry were amonst the leaders in drawing fouls last season. Also, Randolph’s 10.1 rebounds per game last year will help the Knicks down low since, outside of the scrappy David Lee, they did not have a big man average over 7.0 rebounds per game.

Along with Randolph came two expiring contracts in Fred Jones (1 yr/$3.3M) and Dan Dickau (1 yr/$2.8M), both of whom are expected to be dangled throughout the season for another big splash move that can put them in contention for the Eastern Conference crown.

The second round acquisition of Demetris Nichols could prove to be a steal at the 53rd overall selection for the Knicks since it only cost them a future second rounder. Nichols was deadly from downtown in his workouts and particularly in the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp, where he shot 9 of 13 from three-point land. The Orlando Camp is also the place where Isiah tabbed the unheralded, yet surprisingly effective, fan favorite and defensive menace Renaldo Balkman, a year ago.

Since the Knicks ultimately gained four major assets while completing a major addition by subtraction with the riddance of The Franchise, they are obviously the ones sitting pretty at this time…that is, until Isiah is awoken in the middle of the night by the NYPD with Randolph in the slammer for another dance with the demons of the night.

Winner: New York Knicks

3) Golden State trades Jason Richardson and the rights to the 36th pick (Jermareo Davidson) to Charlotte for the right to the 8th pick (Brandan Wright).

With the Charlotte Bobcats sitting on mountains of cap space, a well-stocked youthful frontcourt, and an overwhelming need at the shooting guard position, they decided to strike a deal with the Warriors for one of the game’s most dynamic scorers. From a birds-eye view, it appears that both teams got what they were looking for in this deal.

The Bobcats had money to spend and had a need for scoring and playmaking, especially at the off-guard position. They have gone to war previously with Matt Carroll being their most productive starter in that slot. Through the past four years, they have added plenty of depth to their frontcourt with the likes of Sean May, Emeka Okafor, Primoz Brezec, and even Walter Herrmann. However, initially unable to deal their multiple first round picks, they saw potential star power forward Brandon Wright slip to them at the eighth selection. They couldn’t possibly pass on him, especially with no sure-thing shooting guards available in this draft. Instead they dealt Brandon Wright to the Bay Area for the two-time slam dunk champion Jason Richardson, and offensive juggernaut that is capable of dropping 30 points on any given night. In one fell swoop, Michael Jordan was able to upgrade his weakest position with one of the leagues most dangerous guards.

For the Warriors, this was also a tremendous deal for them. Already equipped with a glut at the two and three positions, they were more than willing to dump the remaining 4 yrs/$51M on his contract, and hand the starting position over to either Monta Ellis or Mickael Pietrus. Somehow the once-considered-inept Chris Mullin of the Warrior front office was able to deal away the tremendously excessive and outlandish contracts of Mike Dunleavy Jr., Troy Murphy, and Jason Richardson in a mere handful of months. This is a truly amazing feat in itself.

However, the key to this deal is not only that the Warriors added perhaps the third best prospect in the entire draft, but they now hold a major trade chip in their futile attempts to deal with the Milwaukee Bucks for the highly coveted Yi Jianlian. Golden State was feverishly trying to move into the top ten in order to have the opportunity to pick the Chinese star, but was originally thwarted on Draft Day. With the Bucks lack of interior scoring and athleticism, Wright could be on his way to Milwaukee sometime this summer. One way or another, Mullin has again shed enormous contracts while adding an amazing youthful playmaker that can run the floor and provide a strong presence in the paint.

Winner: Golden State Warriors

4) Miami trades the 20th pick (Jason Smith) to Philadelphia for the 21st pick (Daequan Cook), a 2009 second round pick, and cash.

This is one of those deals where it seems both teams win because they each are able to address their respective biggest need in one fell swoop. The Sixers were equipped with only Samuel Dalembert, Steven Hunter, and Shavlik Randolph coming off a major injury in their frontcourt. The Heat are on the verge of losing Jason Kapono and are left with no one to back up Dwayne Wade at the two-guard position. Therefore, this swap gives Philadelphia a big man who can be an offensive force who can also score in transition that it’s lacking, while the Heat get one of the youngest two-guards with superior athleticism and a uncanny ability to light up the scoreboard similar to Daniel Gibson. Since both of these picks are very talented, unproven and labeled with the highest risk-to-reward ratio at their respective positions, it’s really a crap shoot to venture a conjecture as to which will ultimately fare better in the league.

Winner: Miami Heat

5) Phoenix trades the rights to the 24th pick (Rudy Fernandez) to Portland for cash.

This is the fourth straight year the frugal Phoenix Suns have sold off their first round pick. First Luol Deng, then Nate Robinson, then Sergio Rodriguez and Rajon Rondo. Now Rudy Fernandez. While it saves the team minimal dollars against the cap down the road, each one of those players taken with original Suns selections could have easily helped strengthen the depths of the Phoenix roster. The fans are the ones who must be getting fed up with this recent strategy, since even they can realize that the major deficiency of the squad was their overall depth. Quietly, the Blazers continue to build their future championship roster by adding one of the most sought after guards in the entire draft.

Winner: Portland Trail Blazers

6) Philadelphia trades the rights to the 30th pick (Petteri Koponen) to Portland for the rights to the 42nd pick (Derrick Byars) and cash.

This is an interesting deal. Word around the Garden on Draft Night was that Koponen was poised to become one of the better point guards in the draft, if not the best. He has a similar skill set to that of Chicago’s Kirk Hinrich, with the penchant to lead a team to victory while providing annoying defense and timely hoops. However, many believe he will remain overseas for another season.

Meanwhile, Derrick Byars could turn out to be one of the major steals in recent draft history. He was ranked as the 20th best player in the entire Draft and slipped all the way down to 42. He provides a game similar to that of Jared Dudley of BC, but with more athleticism and potential. But with the glut of talent that Philadelphia has at the wing position already, it is possible he may have to learn to play bigger than his frame at the four position, along with fellow draftee Thaddeus Young.

This deal appears to be a solid move on behalf of both teams, but the fact remains that the Blazers are already loaded with talented young point guards. They also nabbed another tremendous steal late in the second round in point guard Taurean Green, which all but guarantees they don’t mind Koponen grooming his game for another year overseas in Finland.

Winner: Philadelphia 76ers

Big Dirty

Potential Star
Registered
cranrab said:
love him or hate him, billy knight has done 1 HUGE thing for the hawks. they are WELL UNDER the salary cap, and next year will be looking even better in that area.

so there's money available to spend to get the FA they need.
They are not well under the cap at all. The Hawks will have 14 guaranteed contracts, if they give the 120% rookie scale to Horford and Law, which most teams do, they'll be at ~54 million in committed salaries. The cap will most likely between 55-58 million. And while they have several expiring contracts, they will have to extend Smoove's contract (and Childress' too if they want him and he wants to stay).

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
BD,

the hawks were well under the last season's cap of $53.135M.

EVEN IF the hawks give the #3 and #11 an INCREASE over last year's salaries for the same draft position, they will STILL be under $55M (as you already estimated).

EVEN IF the salary cap increase is as conservative as last year's ($3.6M, which is the lowest salary cap increase since 1999), the new cap would be $56.74M.

so the hawks would again be comfortably under the cap this season (2007-2008).

looking forward to the next season (2008-2009), the hawks will only have $30M (est.) on the books going into the season. do you foresee tyronn lue, lorenzen wright, anthony johnson and salim stoudemire returning? one might anticipate extensions for josh smith and josh childress, but zaza pachulia? solomon jones?

Big Dirty

Potential Star
Registered
Well I don't consider 2-5 million as very well under the cap, to be very well under the cap they'd have to be at least 8 million under the cap in my opinion. Trading for AJ was really not a good move.
Jones & Zaza still have contracts for the 08/09 but even if they didn't I would expect that they get an extension, cause they're high on Jones and he does have potential to become a good backup PF/C, and Zaza, well he sucks but he's their only center and centers don't come cheap so I think they'll keep him.
Smoove will get 10+ million if he continues to develop and he's the fan favourite. With Chillz it depends on if he wants to look for a starter spot on another team, if he stays he'll get at least 6 million, so the total cap hit is already 46+ million.
With Lue, AJ and Salim you have to remember this is Billy Knight, he extented the contracts of Royal Ivey and Esteban Batista. ;)
But I agree for the offseason after the 07/08 season they are in a good cap situation, but you have to remember the Hawks owners are kinda cheap (and not only because of the court ruling, they showed they were cheap before that) and the extensions for Marv & Zaza are on the horizon, they all love Marv so he'll get some $$$.

I hope they trade a combination of Chillz/Shellhead/Horford/Marv/Zaza for a real center and fire Mike Woodson, but both seems unlikely cause there are no centers available (maybe Bynum, but the Lakers can't make up their mind if they want to trade him or not) and Billy loves Woodson. When I became a Hawks fan they were really good and now they haven't made the playoffs for a long time, it sucks. :(

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Big Dirty said:
Well I don't consider 2-5 million as very well under the cap, to be very well under the cap they'd have to be at least 8 million under the cap in my opinion.

OK.

we use different measuring sticks. yes, the hawks may have "only" been $4-5M under the cap for 2006-07, but when you consider that their total salary for 2006-07 would still have placed the hawks under the 2005-06 salary cap, i think that's impressive.

my point again was that while it is FAIR to question billy knight's TRADES, his job of salary cap management has been pretty good. everybody is paid, the hawks are under the cap, and they still have "wiggle room" to tweak their roster if they so desire. they haven't painted themselves into a corner.

i look at it from other angles too.

the hawks are 1 of 10 teams who made it under the cap last season. that means 66% of the league couldn't do it.

not only that, i think it was 8 or 9 teams that went into the luxury tax. of course, the hawks weren't one of those.

and then add the kicker. teams like cleveland, denver, minnesota, phoenix and sacramento are not only over the cap for 2007-08, but have also poorly situated themselves for the 2008-09 season. so billy knight gets a nod for looking to the future.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Winners Of Draft Day Trades
Authored by Jason M. Williams - 4th July, 2007 - 5:13 pm

Is it a fair grade when Pritchard single handidly took over 50% of the top 5 spots? :rolleyes:

I disagree with the Bobcats/Warriors trade because people ALWAYS seem to go for potential vs. proven commodities like Richardson. Richardson can score whereas Wright may never pan out.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Monday, July 9, 2007
Nets sign first-round draft pick forward Williams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- First-round draft pick Sean Williams has signed with the New Jersey Nets.

As the 17th pick, Williams will earn $1,180,500 his rookie year and $1,269,100 his second year. The Nets have options for the third and fourth years.

The 6-foot-10, 235-pound forward played 69 games in three years at Boston College, leading the team in blocks each season. But he had repeated disciplinary problems and was dismissed from the team by coach Al Skinner after playing 15 games this past season.

In those 15 games he averaged 12.1 points and 6.9 rebounds while setting a school record with 75 blocked shots.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Grading The Draft: Eastern Conference
Authored by Jason M. Williams - 9th July, 2007 - 9:44 pm

Last week, we here at RealGM took at look at the winners of the trades that were made during the 2007 NBA Draft. This week, we will assign grades for each team based on the outcome of their draft selections. This will be a two-piece series, first looking at the teams in the Eastern Conference, and concluding with a report card for those out West. The criterion that will compose the overall grade will be based on three subjects – overall quality and talent of player(s) selected, team needs addressed, and an added plus for teams who landed a steal versus a minus for those who jumped on a guy who could be a potential first round bust.

This column will consist of a division-by-division analysis of the players selected or obtained on Draft Night by each team in the Eastern Conference. The ‘Talent Selected?’ category will rank from a low score of 1 to a high score of 5.

Atlantic Division

Boston Celtics

Round 1: None
Round 2: Gabe Pruitt (32nd), Glen Davis (35th)

The Celtics sent their 5th overall selection, along with Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak to the Seattle Supersonics in exchange for Ray Allen and the rights to Glen Davis with the 35th selection. The Celtics needed more veteran leadership along with help at the off-guard and low post positions. They added all three with their blockbuster trade and their effective early second round selections.

Talent Selected? 3
Addressed Team Needs? Yes
Steal or Bust? Glen Davis could be a potential steal.

Grade: B+

New Jersey Nets

Round 1: Sean Williams (17th)
Round 2: None

The Nets walked away with the player who brings the highest risk, highest reward ratio packed away in his laundry list of baggage. While it is true that Sean Williams was a problem child at BC, he still has the talent and tenacity to become a premier player in this draft. Scouts who watched him work out in Houston indicated that he reminded them of an Amare Stoudemire type of athlete, who could turn out to be the third best player in the draft, outside of The Big Two.

Talent Selected? 5
Steal or Bust? If not for Oden and Durant, we could be calling this The Sean Williams Draft.

Grade: A+

New York Knicks

Round 1: Wilson Chandler (23rd)
Round 2: Demetris Nichols (53rd)

The Knicks entered Draft Night needing a long distance shooter and a tougher power forward that can rebound and block shots. They added a shooter with the acquisition of Nichols, while grabbing a rebounding low post presence with the Zach Randolph acquisition. The Knicks, however, failed to tab a shot blocking presence and once again took a flyer on an unknown slasher in Wilson Chandler. With Jared Jeffries and Renaldo Balkman already battling Quentin Richardson for time at the small forward position, this selection makes little impact on the imminent success of the squad.

Talent Selected? 3
Addressed Team Needs? Mostly
Steal or Bust? Chandler could be a first round bust, while Nichols can emerge a steal at the end of the Draft. These two cancel each other out.

Grade: B

Philadelphia 76ers

Round 1: Thaddeus Young (12th), Jason Smith (20th)
Round 2: Derrick Byars (42nd), Herbert Hill (55th)

With the Sixers seeking athletic wing players and some help in the post, they added a glut of young talent that can come in and make an immediate impact. With veteran leader Andre Miller as the catalyst for the Sixer offense, look for Thaddeus Young and Derrick Byars to have significant impacts by midseason. Both Jason Smith and Herbert Hill provide big bodies and a ton of depth for the Sixer frontcourt. Their performance ranks as one of the best of this year’s draft.

Talent Selected? 5
Steal or Bust? Derrick Byars was on Jay Bilas’ list as the 20th best overall draftee; he could be proving about 21 teams wrong by being snatched by Philly with the 42nd pick.

Grade: A+

Toronto Raptors

Round 2: Giorgos Printezis (58th)

Armed with only the 58th overall selection, the Raptors didn’t do much for their immediate future with the draft. Printezis is expected to stay overseas in Greece while he continues to improve his game from the small forward position.

Talent Selected? 2
Addressed Team Needs? No
Steal or Bust? Neither.

Grade: C

Central Division

Chicago Bulls

Round 1: Joakim Noah (9th)
Round 2: Aaron Gray (49th), JamesOn Curry (51st)

Unless the Bulls turn Joakim Noah into Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, or someone else who can provide offense from the low block, it is a questionable pick with the other talent available in Spencer Hawes and Jason Smith. While Aaron Gray will be able to provide a decent offensive game off the bench, it is unclear what Noah will bring to the table that is not already served up by Ben Wallace, Tyrus Thomas, and P.J. Brown – if he remains with the team.

Talent Selected? 3
Addressed Team Needs? No
Steal or Bust? Aaron Gray falling to 49 was great for the Bulls.

Grade: C+

Cleveland Cavaliers

With no picks in the draft, it is difficult to justify giving them a grade.

Talent Selected? N/A
Addressed Team Needs? NA
Steal or Bust? N/A

Grade: N/A

Detroit Pistons

Round 1: Rodney Stuckey (15th), Arron Afflalo (27th)
Round 2: Sammy Mejia (57th)

With team leader Chauncey Billups on the verge of resigning in Detroit, the Pistons utilized their two first round draft picks on two guys who can come in and provide immediate impact off the bench for the very thin Piston backcourt. With little depth behind Billups, Richard Hamilton, and Tayshaun Prince, the versatile games of Rodney Stuckey and Arron Afflalo will allow Detroit fans to rest assured when their starters are catching their breath.

Talent Selected? 4
Steal or Bust? Neither.

Grade: A

Indiana Pacers

Round 2: Stanko Barac (39th)

The Pacers traded away their first round pick to Atlanta for Al Harrington, and ended up with little to show after this draft. While Stanko Barac has the potential to be a very skilled big man in the league, it is widely believed that he will remain overseas and offer little to the fan base of Pacer Nation.

Talent Selected? 3
Addressed Team Needs? No
Steal or Bust? If Barac comes over and delivers on the buzz he has created, Indy may have found a steal.

Milwaukee Bucks

Round 1: Yi Jianlian (6th)
Round 2: Ramon Sessions (56th)

The selection of Yi Jianlian is a questionable one by the Bucks for two reasons: 1) Yi doesn’t want to be in Milwaukee, which they knew beforehand, and 2) They passed on upgrading their greatest position of need. While they wanted to add depth and scoring to their frontcourt, they should have made a move to upgrade their small forward position. While it is understood that Charlie Villanueva can play the three, he is often injured and is too big to be playing the wing on defense. A selection of Corey Brewer would have spelled the biggest need in Milwaukee.

Talent Selected? 4
Steal or Bust? Sessions could become a reliable point guard who can battle for the starter’s position if the Bucks fail to retain Maurice Williams.

Southeast Division

Atlanta Hawks

Round 1: Al Horford (3rd), Acie Law IV (11th)

The Hawks walked into the draft needing a point guard, a scorer from the block, and experience. They almost addressed all three of these with their two lottery selections. Both Al Horford and Acie Law IV are experienced winners and will be able to provide immediate impact in Atlanta. However, while they didn’t add an experienced league veteran, they upgraded their two weakest positions immediately. I love the landing of Acie Law, who could prove to be a steal – even at the 11th pick – in this draft.

Talent Selected? 5
Steal or Bust? Neither.

Grade: A

Charlotte Bobcats

Round 1: Jared Dudley (22nd)
Round 2: Jermareo Davidson (36th)

The Bobcats also dealt the rights to the 8th pick, Brandon Wright, to the Golden State Warriors for shooting guard Jason Richardson. With glaring needs at the two and three positions, the Bobcats hit the nail on the head. Richardson is a great athletic scorer and Dudley is a hard nosed player who can provide a team the glue it needs in order to squeak out those victories won solely on heart.

Talent Selected? 4
Steal or Bust? Neither.

Miami Heat

Round 1: Daequan Cook (21st)

With aging talent at every position, the Heat snatched one of the players with the most talent and potential in the draft. Daequan Cook is a young athletic scorer that is capable of getting hot and scoring in streaks, much like Daniel Gibson. The Heat also added some insurance behind Dwayne Wade, now that Jason Kapono has bolted South Beach for much much colder winters.

Talent Selected? 4
Steal or Bust? Neither.

Orlando Magic

Round 2: Milovan Rakovic (60th)

The Magic landed this Serbian big man with the final pick in the draft. After dealing away their first round pick to Detroit for Darko Milicic, it is beginning to look like that deal may have been a disaster for the Magic. With Darko likely to sign elsewhere and the Pistons landing the exciting and dynamic Rodney Stuckey with their pick, the Magic have little to show following one of the most memorable Draft Nights in recent history.

Talent Selected? 2
Addressed Team Needs? No
Steal or Bust? Unlikely.

Grade: D

Washington Wizards

Round 1: Nick Young (16th)
Round 2: Dominic McGuire (47th)

Nick Young could have easily been a top ten selection in any of the past five NBA Drafts. With little depth at shooting guard, expect to see a deadly starting backcourt of Gilbert Arenas and Nick Young by the All Star break. Washington also gained another incredible athlete to back up Caron Butler at the wing position. The only reason the Wizards do not land an overall grade of an ‘A’ is because they failed to address their drama and deficiencies at the center position.

Talent Selected? 5
Steal or Bust? If McGuire can gain a strong jump shot, this tremendous athlete could be a steal.

Grade: B+

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Talks Between Bucks And Yi Move Slowly
July 10, 2007 - 10:56 am
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel -
Will Yi Jianlian's representatives allow him to visit Milwaukee later this month for a first-hand look at the city and the organization, and a chance to meet with Bucks owner Herb Kohl?

Or will they keep Yi away in the hopes of forcing Bucks general manager Larry Harris to make a trade? Harris has said he does not intend to make a trade.

"Certainly, we're going to continue to talk," Harris said after watching Team China's 85-84 victory over the Cavaliers. "I don't know the exact next time that will happen.

"But it's a process, and we'll continue through it and are excited (at the prospect) that we can get him in uniform at the start of the season."

While the Yi watch continues in Las Vegas, China and Milwaukee, NBA Commissioner David Stern has begun to take an interest in what happens.

Mark Broussard, an NBA spokesman, said, "The commissioner is monitoring the situation through conversations with the Bucks. It would not be constructive to comment further publicly at this time."

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
the hawks were well under the last season's cap of $53.135M.

EVEN IF the hawks give the #3 and #11 an INCREASE over last year's salaries for the same draft position, they will STILL be under $55M (as you already estimated).

EVEN IF the salary cap increase is as conservative as last year's ($3.6M, which is the lowest salary cap increase since 1999), the new cap would be $56.74M.

Salary cap set at $55.63 million
/ Associated Press
Posted: 5 hours ago

The NBA set next season's salary cap at $55.63 million Tuesday, paving the way for teams to begin signing free agents.

The new cap goes into effect Wednesday, when the league's moratorium period ends and trades can be made. Teams have been allowed to negotiate with free agents since July 1, but the deals couldn't be completed until the new cap was determined.

The salary cap will rise about $2.5 million from last season's $53.135 million figure.

Also, the mid-level exception is rising from $5.2 million to $5.36 million, and the tax level is $67.87 million, up from $65.42 million. Teams will have to pay a $1 tax for every $1 they exceed that figure by.

The minimum team salary is $41.72 million, 75 percent of the salary cap.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
first shammond williams, now the fakers 2nd round pick chooses spain over the playing in the NBA.

i wonder why they're not leaping at the opportunity to play with "the greatest player in the game"?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Gasol's brother to play one more season in Spain

Associated Press

MADRID, Spain -- Marc Gasol, the younger brother of Memphis Grizzlies forward Pau Gasol, is going to stay in Spain for now.

The 22-year-old center, drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 48th pick, said Wednesday he will spend another season with the Spanish club Akasvayu Girona.

"It's in my best interests to continue at Girona due to their ambitious sporting project and the great atmosphere in the team," Gasol said. "I want to work very hard and improve this coming year."

The 7-foot-1 Gasol, who helped Spain win the basketball world title last year, was also chosen to play for the national team at the European Championship in September.

Gasol averaged 10.6 points and 5.5 rebounds in 37 games this season.