2006-2007 NBA Playoffs Predictions

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
I guarantee that the talk of the NBA will not be the Mavs, but iut will be T-Mac's inability to get out of the first round. Stern will now have a smokescreen to cover up his euro boys fuck up.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Has this happened before??
Both finalists from the previous season are eliminated in round 1?

For the 1st time in 30 years, I did not watch or listen to one single
playoff game. I hope Stern and his billionaire club cronies are happy
and content with their newfound Asian and European fans. And other
people gullible enough to believe any of this shit is real.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
RunawaySlave said:
Has this happened before??
Both finalists from the previous season are eliminated in round 1?

For the 1st time in 30 years, I did not watch or listen to one single
playoff game. I hope Stern and his billionaire club cronies are happy
and content with their newfound Asian and European fans. And other
people gullible enough to believe any of this shit is real.

Nah, he's pissed because that German jackoff Dirk and his Asian meal ticket Yao are out of the playoffs.

Where are those critics that said that the euros are catching up to the Americans? :lol:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Misfired on 3 out of 8 with the most suprising to me was Golden State's handling of Dallas. I figured McGrady would lose in the 1st round after their game 6 loss and Miami was too beat up to compete with Chicago.

2nd round predictions -

Golden State OVER Utah in 6
Phoenix OVER San Antonio in 7

Detroit OVER Chicago in 6
Cleveland OVER New Jersey in 6

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Nah, he's pissed because that German jackoff Dirk and his Asian meal ticket Yao are out of the playoffs.

Where are those critics that said that the euros are catching up to the Americans? :lol:

:smh: "The Dictator" went on record to say that the Golden State upset should not have happened and that was the reason for the 7 game series... The same format he changed to accomodate the Fakers in 2003-2004

RS,

ESPN said it happened about 30 years ago or so. I forgot the team though.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Can't believe the Nets luck in this draw. Another team with a shitty
frontline. Exactly the type of team the Nets will beat.......

NETS in 7
UTAH over Golden State (should be quick work too)

Chicago and Detroit (who cares??)

I can't call SA vs Phoenix. And I won't pretend to.
Everything depends on the Referees anyway

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Yoooo!! Who stole on Steve Nash yesterday?? Was it Bowen?
I bet that dirty mofo had somethig to do with it

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
RunawaySlave said:
Yoooo!! Who stole on Steve Nash yesterday?? Was it Bowen?
I bet that dirty mofo had somethig to do with it

steve nash and tony parker collided, banging heads.

the cut it opened up on steve nash's nose was UGLY. really, from the time the cut happened, steve nash shouldn't have been allowed back on the floor (by rule), because the bleeding never stopped.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
eewwll said:
It's going to be another rematch of San Antonio and the Detroit in the finals

That's what it looks like early. Chicago was gotten pounded twice in a row now and Detroit is looking like the Heat last year... A team clearly on a mission to prove their place in the Finals.

We all know Flip Saunders knows how to choke in the playoffs but I dont see anyone being a threat to them in the East, even the West outside of the Spurs.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
NEWSFLASH:

Jazz can beat the Spurs. But it will not be easy. But only on the
account of Deron Williams inexperience in the playoffs. Spurs will
turn very ugly when they start losing

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
RS,

I agree with that. I missed most of the Conference Semifinals because I was out of the country. I wanted Golden State to beat the Jazz but I should have known that unlike Dallas, Utah doesnt have a soft big man manning the paint. Phoenix came under unforntuate circumstances with the suspensions but they completely imploded in Game 6 from what I saw from the play by play.

Conference Finals picks are -

Utah Jazz in 6
Cleveland Cavaliers in 7

Boozer vs. his old team in the Finals :eek:

Just imagine if Boozer never gave Gordon Gund and company the shaft? LeBron and Boozer would've been a hall of fame tandem. :yes:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
^^^
Utah in 6 ?...
Cleveland in 7?

Brah, you gonna come up short on both of those.

but I gotta cosign on the Boozer thing..he is actually the piece the Cavs are missing..they would have been a SICK tandem...but one more sharp shooter back there..to fill that paxson role.. and they would have been tough for YEARS...

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
i only predicted my conference winners, and they were san antonio and miami. at the time, i questioned whether or not dwyane wade came back too soon. i think he did.

CONGRATULATIONS to tim duncan and his merry band of euros.

2007 NBA finals.

NEXT!

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
CONGRATULATIONS to tim duncan and his merry band of euros.

2007 NBA finals.

NEXT!

Great showing by Duncan and company. I've been doubting them since the 2nd round but they handidly beat the Jazz.

Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer did their part but the euro trash folded under pressure.

Anyone have any doubts that Cleveland does not advance to the Finals? Detroit hasnt played a good game all series and only has 2 victories because of Cleveland's lack of execution down the stretch.

I bet they wish they could trade Chris Webber for Ben Wallace about right now.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
^^^

I do.

1. One for the very reason you named: They haven't played well and the series is still even. They are bound to play better..especially Chauncey

2. A series does not start until the home team loses... Pistons in 7 with the home team winning every game...home court advantage for the Pistons will be key

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Breaking News: Kerr To Be Named Phoenix GM
31st May, 2007 - 8:19 pm
East Valley Tribune -
Steve Kerr will be announced as the new president of basketball operations and general manager of the Suns within the week, an NBA source with knowledge of the situation said. Current general manager Mike D’Antoni will still have a front office title in addition to his coaching duties

The source said current vice president of basketball operations David Griffin will decide tonight whether to stay with the Suns or take a similar position with the Grizzlies. The Suns want Griffin to stay and would probably give him a raise and another title. Griffin would also keep a lot of the duties for which he is currently responsible

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
which is exactly why i've always said having his ass doing commentary on TNT was a bullshit conflict of interest.

can't be having him hyping up the WORSTern conference (and its players) on national broadcasts and NOT be a conflict of interest.

good for him, but get his ass of yahoo and TNT.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
xfactor said:
Anyone have any doubts that Cleveland does not advance to the Finals? Detroit hasnt played a good game all series and only has 2 victories because of Cleveland's lack of execution down the stretch.

Cleveland puts Detroit out of their misery (2 games too late in my opinion) and now its time for them to head to San Antonio for the ultimate prize :yes:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
NBA Finals

(1) San Antonio Spurs vs. (2) Cleveland Cavaliers

Prediction: Cleveland in 7

Havent gone with the Spurs since they beat the Nuggets but I think that this is the Cavaliers' year. This will be a tough task but with Mike Brown being familiar with Poppovich's schemes and LeBron James playing at a level higher than anyone in the NBA, I think the Cavs can pull this off.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
End of 3rd

James 2-12
Hughes 1-5
Ilgauskus 1-8
Varejao 1-4

That's not going to get it done.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Hughes vows to keep putting best foot forward
6/9/2007, 7:06 p.m. EDT
By BRIAN MAHONEY
The Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Larry Hughes stood calmly behind a podium Saturday, showing no signs of pain. Deep down, though, he's hurting.

Standing still with a painful foot injury is one thing. Try covering Tony Parker.

Hughes didn't do that, or much of anything else, effectively in Game 1 of the NBA finals. And the Cavaliers don't know how much they're going to get from their starting point guard for the rest of the series.

But Hughes vows to keep trying, even as people wonder if the best place for him is the bench.

"I won't give up," he said. "You have to tell me I can't play, tell me I'm really hurting the team."

Hughes has been battling plantar fasciitis, which causes him pain along the bottom of his left foot, since the Eastern Conference finals. Though he hasn't missed any games, he's hardly supplied any offense on a team that's desperate to find some from players other than LeBron James.

Hughes hasn't reached double figures since he was hurt in Game 3 of the series against the Pistons, and was held to two points on 1-of-5 shooting in 23 minutes during the Cavs' 85-76 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday.

"I feel I've been giving the team all I can give as far as just trying to be out there on the court, not trying to do too much," Hughes said. "I think I need to be a little more aggressive, but the same time I really don't want to chance it and hurt the team. It's kind of a balance, trying to get my job done and also knowing there's a lot of things that I can't do."

His problems weren't restricted to the offensive end. He was unable to keep up with the speedy Parker, who led the Spurs with 27 points.

Hughes hasn't been able to practice much since he was hurt, but he said he was feeling much better than he was during the conference finals. He felt good enough to skip a cortisone shot before Game 1 and has been trying to get by on rest, ice and Tylenol.

And if he can play, his teammates want him to try.

"I know that Larry, if Larry's 70 percent, he's still a great basketball player and still capable of doing a lot of things," reserve guard Daniel Gibson said. "And I know that on this stage, he wants to be out here playing because it's a stage he's worked for his entire career to get to."

Gibson has replaced Hughes as the Cavs' best perimeter player since the injury, and there are people who believe he should take Hughes' spot in the starting lineup as well.

Cavs coach Mike Brown was asked twice about it after Game 1 but said he wasn't considering a lineup change. But Hughes was on the bench for the entire fourth quarter, the Cavs' best period of the game.

"We're just going to keep monitoring him," Brown said, "and if we feel like it's too much for him — like in the fourth quarter, I didn't go back to him at that time — then we'll sit him, whether it's our call, the doctor's call or his call."

Hughes was second to James during the regular season with 14.9 points per game and was in double figures in each of Cleveland's first eight playoff games. And he's an excellent defensive guard, leading the NBA in steals two years ago and getting voted to the first team All-Defensive squad.

When he finally arrived in the NBA finals, he's been prevented from demonstrating all his talents.

"It's hard to blame anything for it," Hughes said. "It just happens, so you have to come out and you have to adjust."

Hughes isn't a great outside shooter, so the Spurs can help off him to double-team James, knowing Hughes may not have the quickness to get to the basket. And playing Parker is tough for anyone, let alone someone trying to do it on one good foot.

But the Cavs are confident they'll figure out some way to utilize Hughes.

"He had that same injury against the Pistons and I think we handled that series pretty well as far as managing his time and putting him out there on the floor in situations where he could be successful," Gibson said.

Hughes said Brown hasn't discussed a lineup change with him, but a move to the bench might not be the best idea, anyway. Hughes said it's tough to get started again once he stops, so it's probably easier for him to go right from warmups to starting the game than it would be to play well once he's been sitting.

He won't consider sitting out, unless Brown or someone else on the Cavs' staff tells him that he's hurting the team.

"I plan on sticking it out," Hughes said. "I'm doing all I can to be out on the court and give this team anything I can."

blackras9

Rising Star
Registered
This series should be a punchline in a joke somwhere.

Detroit should have beaten this one trick pony squad.

Does anyone realize that Robert Horry is now going to have more rings than MJ????

2 w/ Houston

3 w/ LA Lakers

1 w/ San Antonio and number 7 is on the way vs. Clevland. :smh:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Breaking News: Kerr To Be Named Phoenix GM
31st May, 2007 - 8:19 pm
East Valley Tribune -
Steve Kerr will be announced as the new president of basketball operations and general manager of the Suns within the week, an NBA source with knowledge of the situation said. Current general manager Mike D’Antoni will still have a front office title in addition to his coaching duties

The source said current vice president of basketball operations David Griffin will decide tonight whether to stay with the Suns or take a similar position with the Grizzlies. The Suns want Griffin to stay and would probably give him a raise and another title. Griffin would also keep a lot of the duties for which he is currently responsible

I've been out of the loop lately due to summer school and travel but does anything think this is nothing more than a PR move. Kerr is going to be the figurehead of the Suns front office?

I know the Grizzlies are talking about hiring Mark Jackson if the Celtics GM Chris Wallace doesnt decide on taking the position but I dont know why these owners are looking for no talent hacks to head their transactions.

Sam Presti is going to bring his "moneyball" style to Seattle. I just hope they dont fire Lenny Wilkens in favor of the kid.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
eewwll said:
End of 3rd

James 2-12
Hughes 1-5
Ilgauskus 1-8
Varejao 1-4

That's not going to get it done.

Cleveland is STILL pulling the same stunt they did with the Pistons but Im not so sure they'll be able to climb out of this hole.

We'll see how they respond in Game 3 but Mike Brown is going to have to fix his lineup problems and what they are going to do on defense. I know keeping Parker out of the paint is easier said than done but this is the FINALS so he better get it done.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
xfactor said:
Cleveland is STILL pulling the same stunt they did with the Pistons but Im not so sure they'll be able to climb out of this hole.

We'll see how they respond in Game 3 but Mike Brown is going to have to fix his lineup problems and what they are going to do on defense. I know keeping Parker out of the paint is easier said than done but this is the FINALS so he better get it done.

If they can only build off that last 4 quarter. I don't know if it's the game being so far out of reach that San Antonio lets up or is that that the Cavs have had strong finishes.

Parker was a problem during the regular season matchups. The Cavs sweeping the series disguised it, but Parker was the leading scorer in both games. He is doing it again in the Finals. With Hughes being hurt..and Snow being too slow they are hurting there..and Gibson is not a defensive threat so they almost depend on Parker just having a bad shooting night..

Another problem is Lebron and the turnovers.. He has to decrease the turnovers.. 6 TOs in each game.

But we will see how game 3 turns out. I'm positive the cavs will play better at home.. first Finals game in Cleveland..they will be amped. I'm not counting them out yet..but they clearly need to player better ball..

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
TOUGH loss for Cleveland tonight. They should have won but its frustrating when you cant make shots on your own floor.

They played much better defense on Parker and Ginobili was a non factor but they gave Bruce Bowen the open looks early in the game that he was able to knock down... I think he hit 4 threes in the 1st half.

Didnt like the lineup adjustment that Mike Brown made putting Gibson in the starting 5 because he's not ready. He needed to come off the bench, get his confidence going against the 2nd unit players, then let it translate over to late game action. Eric Snow should have been starting from the jump.

Illguakus was a beast on the boards tonight and so was Gooden but his over aggressive play keeps took him out of the game down the stretch and his foul trouble has hurt the team all series long.

LeBron is still turning it over way too much, mainly when he's trying to create for others. I liked who he went down on the box much more and scored easily. They must get him more 1 on 1 looks down low as he doesnt have any post moves but he's probably their best low post scorer because of his ability to finish.

I dont see any Red Sox-Yankees action going on here but I dont think the Cavaliers will get swept. The series will probably play out like the Bulls-Sonics in 1996 with Chicago winning the first 3, then Seattle winning the final 2 at home and home and the Bulls winning in 6.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
xfactor said:
Didnt like the lineup adjustment that Mike Brown made putting Gibson in the starting 5 because he's not ready. He needed to come off the bench, get his confidence going against the 2nd unit players, then let it translate over to late game action. Eric Snow should have been starting from the jump.

all i've been doing is shaking my head over the comments i've seen on BGOL about how daniel gibson should be starting. people get so hyped up over good offensive showings that they lose their damn minds. i hope coach brown didn't cave into local pressure to have daniel gibson start.

i mean, damn, THERE'S A REASON he wasn't a full time starter.

xfactor said:
Illguakus was a beast on the boards tonight and so was Gooden but his over aggressive play keeps took him out of the game down the stretch and his foul trouble has hurt the team all series long.

EVERYONE knows by now that i hate euros. but zydrunas ilgauskas is 1 of the few euros i would begrudgingly accept in a pinch. the combination of drew gooden and zydrunas ilgauskas definitely isn't david robinson and tim duncan (or hakeem olajuwon and ralph sampson), but that's a pretty strong rebounding tandem and both have some touch.

xfactor said:
LeBron is still turning it over way too much, mainly when he's trying to create for others.

lebron james has TIME. just getting the cavaliers into the NBA finals is enough for now. there are a lot of things lebron james CAN do on the floor, but he needs to be able to concentrate and focus on the things he MUST do.

i'd get flogged for suggesting this, but i feel lebron james needs to be more like tim duncan. let the game come to him, instead of always looking to make something happen.

xfactor said:
I dont think the Cavaliers will get swept. The series will probably play out like the Bulls-Sonics in 1996 with Chicago winning the first 3, then Seattle winning the final 2 at home and home and the Bulls winning in 6.

my prediction was speuros in 5, but if i had to change, i'd lean towards the sweep. the cavaliers just took a shot in the gut, and i'm not sure they have the fortitude to rebound from this loss. kind of like the heat.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well... As much as I was rooting for the Cavaliers to make a series of this, they couldnt get it done. It must be tough for them to come all this way to get SWEPT but their season was not a total failure, some might even say it was a success. They have a lot of changes they need to make from top to bottom but they do have the key piece in LeBron James.

Glad to see Michael Finley win a ring as he's been one of my favorite players for a while. I think he got shafted in Dallas twice (getting cut and not getting the credit for being their best player for years) so it was good to see him get a championship.

ABC showed the graphic of Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal for being the best players since Michael Jordan. To me, as much as I like Duncan, I'd still go with O'Neal although Duncan is clearly the better player now.

cranrab said:
EVERYONE knows by now that i hate euros. but zydrunas ilgauskas is 1 of the few euros i would begrudgingly accept in a pinch. the combination of drew gooden and zydrunas ilgauskas definitely isn't david robinson and tim duncan (or hakeem olajuwon and ralph sampson), but that's a pretty strong rebounding tandem and both have some touch.

BIG Z still has a couple of years left and he, along with Gooden, controlled the boards again tonight. But my question is, WTF is Mike Brown playing Vareahoe down the stretch in favor of Gooden? :confused: I think Mike Brown made some questionable substitutions and lineup changes throughout the series that bit the team in the ass.

cranrab said:
i'd get flogged for suggesting this, but i feel lebron james needs to be more like tim duncan. let the game come to him, instead of always looking to make something happen.

The funny thing is that is how he normally plays but for some reason I think the pressure of the Finals got to him, especially tonight. I havent seen James force the action as much in this series than he has against anyone all season. He also seemed MENTALLY fatigued down the stretch and made careless mistakes that cost the team.

LeBron is still more of a distributor than a gunner. He's an efficient scorer though but I'd like to see them bring in someone, Chauncey Billups maybe?, that can make shots from the perimeter and can take over the scoring load when LeBron cant get it done.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
xfactor said:
ABC showed the graphic of Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal for being the best players since Michael Jordan. To me, as much as I like Duncan, I'd still go with O'Neal although Duncan is clearly the better player now.

it's not even close.

while tim duncan DOES carry a lot of dead weight, shaquille o'neal carried the burden of tobe. tim duncan gets to play 5 on 5. shaquille o'neal had to play 4 on 6.

if nothing else, these 2007 nba playoffs exposed all the BGOL tobe stans. funny how those so-called "basketball" fans stopped posting here on the SPORTS board after tobe got bounced. they knew their superficial idol worship couldn't mask their lack of basketball knowledge.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Even though I only watched bits and pieces, this was actually a
fun series to watch at times. That is, until the idiot announcers
start yapping

It was fun watching the psuedo euros (the South Americans)
get their asses handed to them. Right down to Ginobli committing
that DUMB assed foul on Damon Jones 3 pointer and Varejo (sp)
getting HOUSED on the boards

Anyway, congrats to Finley and the Spurs. I think I actually saw
Pop crack a smile

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
RunawaySlave said:
It was fun watching the psuedo euros (the South Americans) get their asses handed to them. Right down to Ginobli committing
that DUMB assed foul on Damon Jones 3 pointer and Varejo (sp)
getting HOUSED on the boards

yes.

i can understand how some people might admire the energy manu ginobili brings to the floor, but his reckless style is a double edged sword and it really makes me nauseous sometimes.

his ball handling is atrocious and his shot selection is even worse.

i was going to say that anderson varejao is just like mark madsen, but i think mark madsen is actually better.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
if nothing else, these 2007 nba playoffs exposed all the BGOL tobe stans. funny how those so-called "basketball" fans stopped posting here on the SPORTS board after tobe got bounced. they knew their superficial idol worship couldn't mask their lack of basketball knowledge.

Man, I dont know how many of the threads in the main forum you've seen regarding basketball, but the "fans" still cant get Wobe's name of of their mouth. The bum hasnt played in 2 months and they're still talking about him as if HIS team played in the Finals.

Even going as far to say "LeBron will NEVER be as good as Wobe" :eek: (When I think he already is)

RunawaySlave said:
Even though I only watched bits and pieces, this was actually a
fun series to watch at times.

Glad to hear that as I thought I was starting to go crazy :rolleyes:

Like I said in the other thread, I enjoyed tonight's game as well as all the others and although it was a sweep, I think it wasnt a boring series at all.

As far as Varehoe, Im still trying to figure out why he was in the game down the stretch when Drew Gooden wasnt in foul trouble. Mike Brown seemed like he was the one up awaiting a new child because his brain farted more than a kid with diarrhrea.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
xfactor said:
Mike Brown seemed like he was the one up awaiting a new child because his brain farted more than a kid with diarrhrea.

yeah. you know, when i was typing in the other thread, i was really searching for a more forgiving way to say that coach brown was outcoached. but i couldn't. it was just the truth.

it almost appeared that he had surrended and stopped coaching down the stretch.