The Bitcoin Bubble

malaki

Star
Registered
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2011/06/the-bitcoin-bubble.html

THE BITCOIN BUBBLE

If you haven't already heard about bitcoin, the first popular cypto-currency, you soon will. The idea for the currency is simple. It's a software system that makes it possible to manufacture and trade (P2P), in a public and decentralized way, a limited digital resource. That's it.

So why the interest in bitcoin?

Simple. It appears to be gaining critical mass as a transactional currency that operates outside of the traditional monetary conduits (banks, SWIFT, etc.). That fact alone has attracted lots of people to the system, despite the fact that it's not built to allow completely anonymous transactions (it can't be, given that it requires network broadcasts of every transaction to maintain the integrity of the system and prevent counterfeiting).

As a transactional currency that operates outside of traditional systems, it's actually a pretty good medium of exchange (particularly if those transactions are small and quick). The problems arise when people confuse bitcoin's role as a transactional medium and its role as a store of value (as in: holding it as an asset).

As a store of value or an asset it's shady. Here's why: since the supply of bitcoin is limited and knowledge/use of it is growing (potentially virally) it's the perfect breeding ground for a speculative bubble. In a world awash with scams and financial speculation (a defining characteristic of our time), it was only a matter of time before the pump and dump mobsters moved in. Spamming message boards everywhere. Generating buzz. Taking speculative positions. The rapid rise in bitcoin's value relative to the dollar can be seen below (on thin trading) demonstrates that this is already going on:

6a00d83451576d69e2014e88f00bcd970d-320wi

Bitcoin Trading History

So, for those of you with the stomach to take bets with eastern european mobsters and US financial boiler rooms or if your willing to bet on the fickleness of viral adoption, you might be interested in taking a look at bitcoin as an asset. Of course, a dollar's worth of bitcoins may be worth nothing or $100 in a month, who knows?

As far as I know this could become the first P2P bubble. If you know of others, let me know.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Yeah...was reading an article a couple of weeks discussing how the float is so low that it is easy to manipulate supply and demand and thus manipulate the short term pricing of the currency

redcee

Potential Star
Registered
Popular Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox hacked, prices drop to pennies

The most popular exchange of Bitcoin online currency, Mt. Gox, on Sunday admitted it had been hacked. It made the announcement after the price of Bitcoins dropped from $17 to nearly zero in a matter of minutes. The sell off happened after a Mt. Gox account with a large amount of Bitcoins was hacked, and the hacker sold all Bitcoins in that account.

Bitcoins, an unregulated peer-to-peer currency, has been in the news a lot lately, with two Senators suggesting it would lead to illegal online drug purchases. It also raised eyebrows when a hacker stole more than $500,000 in Bitcoins from an unsuspecting trader.

Following the most recent hack, Mt. Gox immediately took down its main site and said it will re-launch the exchange after it “rolls back” prices to the levels Bitcoin had before the incident, which was about $17.50 per Bitcoin. Mt. Gox said service would not resume before 10 p.m. EST Sunday and that the re-opening could be “delayed depending on what is found during the investigation.”

The Hong-Kong-based hacker who broke into the exchange likely used a database of Mt. Gox user names and associated information that has been making the rounds on the Internet today. The database includes user names, hashed passwords, and e-mail addresses.

To address concerns about leaked passwords, Mt. Gox will require all users with simple passwords to choose new ones. It also encouraged users who have e-mail addresses connected to their Mt. Gox accounts to change their e-mail passwords immediately.

Thankfully for Bitcoin owners, the crash appears to have just affected the price of Bitcoin on Mt. Gox, rather than the currency in general. Competing Bitcoin exchange TradeHill currently prices the currency at around $13 per Bitcoin. TradeHill has halted trading “for a few hours” because of the possibilty that members had used the same password for TradeHill and Mt. Gox.

The incident is bad news all around for the Bitcoin currency, which has seen a staggering value jump in the last few months. From April to June, the currency rose from $1 to more than $30, but during the last few weeks the price has fallen.

After the earlier mentioned theft of $500,000 of Bitcoins, Bitcoin traders were already concerned about the security of their transactions. But with this incident, prepare for Bitcoin holders to consider cashing out completely when the exchanges re-open.

A note of transparency: I invested in and sold Bitcoins using Mt. Gox before this incident, but a few weeks ago I sold all my Bitcoin holdings and do not own any currently.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/19/popular-bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox-hacked-prices-drop-to-pennies/

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bitcoin Crashing

lot of people talking up bitcoin over years but its not exempt from crashing either down from 50 to 34 TODAY and still going down

remember it crashed to $2 in 2011 personally I have no faith in it also hackers have too much say

article-2235199-161BA5A2000005DC-900_634x568.jpg

I can see some benefits but there has to be a better solution in future and personally wouldnt touch this

bitcoin_crash.png

Last edited:

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: Bitcoin Crashing

A big drop for one day does not signify a crash. I think bitcoins are a fad but I know you need more evidence than this to say it's crashing.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

No, correcting.

Hit over $270 on the ninth of this month. I knew about bitcoin when it was a little over $4. Oh well...

A big drop for one day does not signify a crash. I think bitcoins are a fad but I know you need more evidence than this to say it's crashing.
Fad? I am not so sure about that. Greece just installed a bitcoin atm in their country because the government is just going in citizens accounts and taking what is needed.

Mainstream business are slowly accepting bitcoin as payment online.

It is the fist cryptocurrency of which there will be more to follow. This thing is for real. If one is involved, they will be considered revolutionary a year, two, five from now.

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered

I take on alot of calculated risk but for me, the currency is too unstable and there's no (visable) rhyme or reason for the fluctuation which means at the end of the day somebody is gonna get fucked and somebody is gonna get filthy rich.

I'm not in the inside so I'd most likely be one of the ones to get fucked.

But there are ways to mine bitcoins...meaning doing little jobs to earn them instead of buying them if anyone is interested.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/08/how-to-mine-bitcoins/
http://startbitcoin.com/

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Yeah...was reading an article a couple of weeks discussing how the float is so low that it is easy to manipulate supply and demand and thus manipulate the short term pricing of the currency

If I would have purchased back when I made this comment (and held) :smh::smh::smh:

Lucky7s

Negritude...do you have it muthafucka?
Registered
FUCK! Last time I checked they were about $11, 4 months ago. Saw this shit on one of the cable business networks today...its about to go down. If they can curb the hacks and cracks...which they can't on the deep web. Risky but rewarding if you move fast...

Lucky7s

Negritude...do you have it muthafucka?
Registered

I take on alot of calculated risk but for me, the currency is too unstable and there's no (visable) rhyme or reason for the fluctuation which means at the end of the day somebody is gonna get fucked and somebody is gonna get filthy rich.

I'm not in the inside so I'd most likely be one of the ones to get fucked.

What he said. :lol:

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wow, I am just imagining what the price was when this thread was created in light of the last 30 days events.:smh:

Many of us on the board would be the new millionaires they are talking about all over financial news.:yes:

anyone else "mine" for coins?

is it worth it?

I don't, and yes it is!

That is why I started this thread so everyone can learn and collaborate inside of one thread: The Official BGOL Guide to Decrypting Digital Currency!

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
I would prefer to be a miner. a bitcoin is a bitcoin. why invest in it when I can mine?

dasmybikepunk

Wait for it.....
OG Investor
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2011/06/the-bitcoin-bubble.html

THE BITCOIN BUBBLE

If you haven't already heard about bitcoin, the first popular cypto-currency, you soon will. The idea for the currency is simple. It's a software system that makes it possible to manufacture and trade (P2P), in a public and decentralized way, a limited digital resource. That's it.

So why the interest in bitcoin?

Simple. It appears to be gaining critical mass as a transactional currency that operates outside of the traditional monetary conduits (banks, SWIFT, etc.). That fact alone has attracted lots of people to the system, despite the fact that it's not built to allow completely anonymous transactions (it can't be, given that it requires network broadcasts of every transaction to maintain the integrity of the system and prevent counterfeiting).

As a transactional currency that operates outside of traditional systems, it's actually a pretty good medium of exchange (particularly if those transactions are small and quick). The problems arise when people confuse bitcoin's role as a transactional medium and its role as a store of value (as in: holding it as an asset).

As a store of value or an asset it's shady. Here's why: since the supply of bitcoin is limited and knowledge/use of it is growing (potentially virally) it's the perfect breeding ground for a speculative bubble. In a world awash with scams and financial speculation (a defining characteristic of our time), it was only a matter of time before the pump and dump mobsters moved in. Spamming message boards everywhere. Generating buzz. Taking speculative positions. The rapid rise in bitcoin's value relative to the dollar can be seen below (on thin trading) demonstrates that this is already going on:

6a00d83451576d69e2014e88f00bcd970d-320wi

Bitcoin Trading History

So, for those of you with the stomach to take bets with eastern european mobsters and US financial boiler rooms or if your willing to bet on the fickleness of viral adoption, you might be interested in taking a look at bitcoin as an asset. Of course, a dollar's worth of bitcoins may be worth nothing or $100 in a month, who knows?

As far as I know this could become the first P2P bubble. If you know of others, let me know.

5 stars

:yes: I've learned more in this post than I have in 50 posts on the subject. Thank You

Last edited: