Prince really couldn't sing

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
I was jamming Diamonds and pearls earlier and I started thinking to my self..."Shit Prince really couldn't fucking sing". I am a big Prince fan cause the boyb was a musically genius but to keep it real, fam just couldn't sing! This is not a troll thread I am dead serious!

Do y'all thing Prince had real singing chops?

Keep shit 100 too!

Peace BROTHER,

I vehemently disagree with your statement. I also believe this is catogrically incorrect.

But I do defend your right to speak your mind and be entitled to your opinion.

Who would you consider a great or good singer?

Before you ask me what singers are good in my opinion:
  • Felipe Wynn (Former lead singer of Spinners and Vocal lead on the 13:00 mark of "Knee Deep")
  • The BROTHER with the glasses

The same dude came back with some funk with the funk-master:

• Sam Cooke

• Natalie Cole

• Donnie Hathaway

• Gladys Night

• Minnie Ripperton

• Gwen Dickey (Lead singer for Rose Royce)

• LJ Reynolds (Lead singer of Dramatics)
  • Ron Banks (Founder of Dramatics)

Teddy Pendergrass

• Phillip Bailey (Lead Singer Earth Wind and Fire)

• Eddie Kendricks

• David Ruffin

• Arethea Franklin

• Whitney Houston

• Skip Mahoney (from Skip Mahoney and the Casuals)

• Terry Huff (Special Delivery)

• Sharon Paige (Co-Female lead on Harold Melvin and Blue Notes song "Hope

Last edited:

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Just dropped back by to leave you a little something

dsc04420.jpg

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Dude was a beast.

Prince: Why Tenors Rule in Pop Music

APR 21, 2016 05:30 PM ET // BY ERIC NIILER
prince-160421.jpg

Singer Prince performs in a surprise appearance on the "American Idol" television show finale at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood in this May 24, 2006

Prince brought joy to millions of fans with his infectious music, amazing guitar licks, cool dance moves, and of course, his voice. The falsetto he maintained on “Kiss,” for example, or the deep baritone of “Daddy Pop,” show how high and low Prince could reach.

In fact, a recent chart comparing the vocal range of contemporary pop singers put Prince at number one when it came to men reaching high notes, and number three for his overall vocal range. Like many of his contemporary male singers, Prince sang as a tenor, often in the higher vocal ranges that, well, sometimes sounded like a female.

Prince -- who died today in Minneapolis at the age of 57 -- isn’t alone when it came to vocal stylings.

It seems that nearly every one of today’s male singers, from Charlie Puth to Justin Beiber to Usher and Bruno Mars push the upper limits of the vocal cords. The deep baritone voices of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jim Morrison and Iggy Pop are rarely heard today online or the radio.

Vocal ranges are measured by the span of notes a person can sing from low to high in their chest voice, according to Stephanie Kellar, director of the music management program at the Berklee School of Music in Boston.

Falsetto comes into play when tenors sing above their chest range using what is called head voice, which can extend their range upward by approximately an octave although in most cases the falsetto does not have the same power and tone.

“Back in the day, the deep male voice was a sign and signal of manliness,” Keller said. “Gender roles have relaxed. That is one of the reasons that particular voice, that male voice that has an exceptional range has become more attractive over time.”

Prince appealed to both sexes, Kellar noted, much like his gender-bending forefather David Bowie, who died on Jan. 10 at age 69.

Kellar says the shift from deep baritone to higher-pitched tenor singers began with singers from the 1960s Motown, soul and R&B era. Singers like Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, James Brown and others led to 1980s high-pitched megastars like Michael Jackson and Queen’s Freddie Mercury.

Prince came of age in the mid-1980s with his hit album and movie “Purple Rain,” and remained a creative, inventive and evolving musician for the past three decades, according to Larry Miller, director of the music business program at New York University Steinhardt.

Miller noted that in the world of opera singers, heroes have higher tenor voices while villains sing in a lower baritone. A higher voice may also appeal to younger record or digital music consumers, Miller added.

“The higher register of voice sounds younger, whether it is or not,” Miller said.

Many contemporary rap artists often bring on female singers on stage to boost the vocal characteristics of individual songs, Kellar said. As they get older, pop, rock or rap singers all find that reaching the high notes does get tougher.

“Usually what happens over time, they will drop the key down so they can continue,” Kellar said, “but not as high.”

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/prince-160421.jpg

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
For those who claim he couldn't sing, this is pure voice no production effects or autotune bullshit...

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Here is more proof how difficult it is trying to sing like Prince, listen to Bruno Mars, a singer who is very good a mimicking other singers, try to cover a Prince song fall flat on his face...
Prince may be on of the hardest singers to cover due to his unique vocals witch is integrated to his music not just sung over it like most singers..
Forward to mark 4:00 for the Purple Rain rendition..

For those who think Bruno just stinks listen to him do Dirty Dianna with no problems...