Zab Judah vs. Marquez in the works

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=6279779

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer met with lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez this week in Mexico in an effort to work out a new promotional agreement.

Marquez's contract recently expired, although Golden Boy says it has the right to match any offer for a year. Marquez wants a third fight with Manny Pacquiao, against whom he has two disputed fights, a loss and draw. But if Marquez stays with Golden Boy, it is unlikely he would get a fall fight with Pacquiao should he beat Shane Mosley on May 7, because Pacquiao is promoted by Golden Boy rival Top Rank.

Schaefer told ESPN.com that the meeting went well and that he offered Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KOs) a multifight contract.

Schaefer said that one of the bouts they discussed, which would kick off a new deal if it is agreed to, was a possible July pay-per-view fight against junior welterweight titlist Zab Judah (41-6, 28 KOs), who has openly campaigned for a fight with Marquez. The Mexico native would move up in weight for the bout if it happened.

"Marquez was interested," Schaefer said. "We're talking about it. We've made him a really good offer. That's all I really want to say. I'm not going to discuss what we talked about related to Pacquiao. That's nonproductive to discuss it in the media."

Schaefer did say that as it relates to a possible Judah fight, he had spoken to his promoter, Kathy Duva of Main Events. Schaefer said Duva reiterated their interest in the fight.

merce77

Star
Registered
It'd be a good fight until the middle rounds. I don't see Judah beating Marquez. I think people are reading a lil too much into him beating a fighter like Mabuza who is essentially a B fighter even though he had a belt - and even he was able to get to Judah a bit.

merce77

Star
Registered
Wow........ why?

Not many options. Bradley wants Khan, Khan wants no part of Marquez. Devon has to fight his way back after that weak ass showing against Bradley and Morales and Maidana fight next week. Marquez is getting too old to keep fighting number one contenders for non-PPV money. And Judah, well he'll take any name fight he can get right now.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Not many options. Bradley wants Khan, Khan wants no part of Marquez. Devon has to fight his way back after that weak ass showing against Bradley and Morales and Maidana fight next week. Marquez is getting too old to keep fighting number one contenders for non-PPV money. And Judah, well he'll take any name fight he can get right now.

And, Judah has a name and a belt so why not. I think Judah will win. For the first time in quite a long time, he'll be the bigger fighter in there. Also, Judah is a great attacking southpaw especially in the early rounds. I pick Marquez by decision or Judah by stoppage before the 7th round.

HisFlyness

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I pick Marquez by decision or Judah by stoppage before the 7th round.

... and that's why it's an interesting fight to me, their styles and the way their fights usually play out make it a toss up as far as who'll win, and how . I think Zab could overwhelm him early but JMM will hold on and make it an entertaining fight, considering that JMM has never been stopped before despite getting dropped early by the likes of Floyd and Manny, and Zab is prone to fading in the mid to late rounds.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Marquez who is one my fav Boxers at the moment will run through Zab...easy...

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
... and that's why it's an interesting fight to me, their styles and the way their fights usually play out make it a toss up as far as who'll win, and how . I think Zab could overwhelm him early but JMM will hold on and make it an entertaining fight, considering that JMM has never been stopped before despite getting dropped early by the likes of Floyd and Manny, and Zab is prone to fading in the mid to late rounds.

which is why JMM will either finish him or win by UD....

Zab has been finish for a while now....:smh:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

:yes:
This should be a good fight. I got JMM but Zab might find one last great effort and surprise some people. The winner will be in a good position to demand a big money fight.

Zab should let it go.

Nah, Zab might not be considered elite anymore but he's still good enough to keep guys honest at 140,147. Zab Judah could be the new "gatekeeper" (I like that term) for both divisions.

merce77

Star
Registered
:yes:
This should be a good fight. I got JMM but Zab might find one last great effort and surprise some people. The winner will be in a good position to demand a big money fight.

Nah, Zab might not be considered elite anymore but he's still good enough to keep guys honest at 140,147. Zab Judah could be the new "gatekeeper" (I like that term) for both divisions.

Idk, Zab hasn't had a GREAT performance since he ko'd Spinks for the unified title at welter, if that Zab Judah shows up, this could be a GREAT fight. But the Zab I saw the last time would get walked down, cut off and stopped late, but with his handspeed I'm sure he'd drop JMM at least once in the fight - and then he'd be in trouble. Dropping Marquez is like dropping Trinidad back in the day - he has you right where he wants you then.:lol: Zabs best shot would be in the first 7 rounds, if it goes later than that Marquez will chop him up in those late rounds.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Idk, Zab hasn't had a GREAT performance since he ko'd Spinks for the unified title at welter, if that Zab Judah shows up, this could be a GREAT fight. But the Zab I saw the last time would get walked down, cut off and stopped late, but with his handspeed I'm sure he'd drop JMM at least once in the fight - and then he'd be in trouble. Dropping Marquez is like dropping Trinidad back in the day - he has you right where he wants you then.:lol: Zabs best shot would be in the first 7 rounds, if it goes later than that Marquez will chop him up in those late rounds.

Yeah, that's how I see it too. But it should be entertaining and that's the most important thing.

merce77

Star
Registered
Yeah, that's how I see it too. But it should be entertaining and that's the most important thing.

It most likely will be, Zab doesn't lack heart and neither does JMM. Plus Marquez straight right against Zab's southpaw style and mean right hook will most likely produce fireworks.:yes: Imo it's one of the more exciting style match ups that can be made at 140 right now.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
It most likely will be, Zab doesn't lack heart and neither does JMM. Plus Marquez straight right against Zab's southpaw style and mean right hook will most likely produce fireworks.:yes: Imo it's one of the more exciting style match ups that can be made at 140 right now.

Yep. I already thought there were a lot of potential good fights at 140 and I never considered this one.

I'm :smh: more at Morales-Maidana than I was at Pacquiao-Mosley. Maidana might seriously hurt Erik. I'm more interested in whether Devon Alexander will correct his path or become Jermain Taylor 2.0.

merce77

Star
Registered
Yep. I already thought there were a lot of potential good fights at 140 and I never considered this one.

I'm :smh: more at Morales-Maidana than I was at Pacquiao-Mosley. Maidana might seriously hurt Erik. I'm more interested in whether Devon Alexander will correct his path or become Jermain Taylor 2.0.

I got Maidana by brutal ko. I hope it doesn't happen but, it doesn't look good for Erik:smh: and his whole rationale is "well I've fought better fighters before"...yeah, in your prime Erik. He can outbox Maidana for a few rounds and maybe even floor him...but the pace is what has me worried. What will happen when Maidana just keeps coming and throwing bombs from awkward angles? Erik's plan better be to go exclusively to the body early and slow dude down dramatically so he can control the pace later in the fight. It might work because usually guys who have iron chins and are relentless attackers tend to be very susceptible to body shots. Khan had him badly hurt early and then stopped hitting his ribs and found himself in trouble. But I see Erik gassing out and being a sitting duck on the ropes by round 6 - if it goes that far.

Devon Alexander? Dude is going to have to find himself a professional style quickly. That jab, jab, straight left bullshit all night might work in the amateurs but this is the big time. Dude has some speed and some pop, but he's very predictable and what's worse - he folded in that fight vs Bradley which brings up questions about his heart/will to win. To me he's not even Taylor right now, Jermain had stamina issues but had all the tools to succeed and at least beat a legend in Hopkins. Just a lil too much heart and not enough boxing IQ and training. Devon needs a new trainer imo too I think Kevin Cunningham has taken him as far as he can.

Last edited:

tp2001

Star
Registered
Devon Alexander? Dude is going to have to find himself a professional style quickly. That jab, jab, straight left bullshit all night might work in the amateurs but this is the big time. Dude has some speed and some pop, but he's very predictable and what's worse - he folded in that fight vs Bradley which brings up questions about his heart/will to win. To me he's not even Taylor right now, Jermain had stamina issues but had all the tools to succeed and at least beat a legend in Hopkins. Just a lil too much heart and not enough boxing IQ and training. Devon needs a new trainer imo too I think Kevin Cunningham has taken him as far as he can.

I will never give Jermain "bad decisions" Taylor those fights against Hopkins...NEVER. :D :D

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I got Maidana by brutal ko. I hope it doesn't happen but, it doesn't look good for Erik:smh: and his whole rationale is "well I've fought better fighters before"...yeah, in your prime Erik. He can outbox Maidana for a few rounds and maybe even floor him...but the pace is what has me worried. What will happen when Maidana just keeps coming and throwing bombs from awkward angles? Erik's plan better be to go exclusively to the body early and slow dude down dramatically so he can control the pace later in the fight. It might work because usually guys who have iron chins and are relentless attackers tend to be very susceptible to body shots. Khan had him badly hurt early and then stopped hitting his ribs and found himself in trouble. But I see Erik gassing out and being a sitting duck on the ropes by round 6 - if it goes that far.

Yeah, it should be fun for a few rounds but I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be sitting at home wanting them to stop the fight at least one round before they do.

Agreed, even with the Taylor stuff. I thought Taylor was going to be a big star but he lacked the mental aspect to go with the physical.
I like Cunningham but Devon needs a fresh set of eyes to help him along at this point.

I will never give Jermain "bad decisions" Taylor those fights against Hopkins...NEVER. :D :D

Then we will respectfully disagree.:D Bernard can't be math. He lost the first 7 rds in a twelve round fight and didn't score a knockdown or knockout.
Hopkins is the main reason they need to go back to 15 rounds.... separates the fighters from the champions.

At least make it an option for championship fights. Let it be something the fighters can negotiate like they do glove and ring size.