Your thoughts on the Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatments.

klep

Star
Registered
What are the pros and cons of it. Its for my youngin thats 6 her mother is clueless and has no clue what to do with it. I mean its real wild. But her Ma is Italian and Filipino and she just got the bad end of the stick its very thick and curly.

She was going to get a Perm in it and I was against it from the jump. Then she mentions this brazilian treatment, and for me to find out about it. I have no clue though but normally chemicals are a bad move any suggestions?

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not sure what this Keratin hair treatment is but if she don't know what to do with it that bad she might might want to pay someone to braid her daughters hair.

There are hair style braid mags she can get that show pics of kids hairstyles. Worse case she can take some hair grease and a comb, part her hair and make plaits.

I understand though cause my daughter's hair is thick and curly and if it wasn't for my mom who knows how to braid, I'd do the above. But she's not getting a perm before she turns 10 though.

jucurious

agent of change
BGOL Investor
what do you mean bad end of the stick with it being thick and curly?

don't but relaxers in children's hair and don't do the Keratin thing either...don't put such strong chemicals in her hair; she is too young.

She needs to talk to some of your relatives, or a professional to get some ideas on how to manage your child's hair.

you don't have any sisters, cousins, aunts, or nothin that she can talk to?

what is actually her issue with your daughters hair?

styling? combing/brushing? braiding? washing? conditioning? keeping it moisturized? keeping hair styles? detangling?

what kind of brush and comb is she using? how does she detangle the hair? what products does she use? how often does she was it? how does she keep it moisturized? what kind of styles does she put in her hair?

jucurious

agent of change
BGOL Investor
the keratin treatment is really formaldehyde

dont do it

yeah i looked it up a while ago and i remember it being an ingredient in it in which i didn't like

and your right...there is a lot of it in there

when you are told to have ventilation in the room when applying...u KNOW its a problem.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

dont do it

:eek:

Are you serious? Why do I want to- but it's formaldehyde that- wait-...

*speechless.

I'm going to play it safe and assume we all know what formaldehyde is used for...keep your daughter as far away as possible.

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
What are the pros and cons of it. Its for my youngin thats 6 her mother is clueless and has no clue what to do with it. I mean its real wild. But her Ma is Italian and Filipino and she just got the bad end of the stick its very thick and curly.She was going to get a Perm in it and I was against it from the jump. Then she mentions this brazilian treatment, and for me to find out about it. I have no clue though but normally chemicals are a bad move any suggestions?

:confused: How is that bad?

www.naturallycurly.com
www.nappturality.com
www.mixedchicks.net

Ju covered all the rest. A wide tooth comb, a detangling conditioner, and a few twists or braids should be more than enough. She is too young for chemicals that can damage her hair and her scalp. Also, chemicals need to be maintained.It isnt a burn your hair straight type of thing....if the mom has difficulty with your baby's natural hair because she doesnt know a lot about curly hair, how will she take care of relaxed curly hair? It's still curly hair- just curly with a chemical that can be drying and cause breakage if not maintained.

onyxfemme

Punk Ass Decepticons!
BGOL Investor
Why not flat iron it or deep condition it and let her rock her curly thick hair? She is 6 curly w/ a head band? She will look darling.
My daughter is 2 soon to be 3. I bump iron...Meaning I lightly flat iron it for manageability and use LIV and Marcs products. I braid, twist and "da brat" it...And it works for us.

klep

Star
Registered
Thanks for those links, you guys are on point and right on target with the direction she should go.

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor

dont do it

You can buy keratin formaldehyde free. .

Keratin = protein

I think a lot of people actually use it to try to make their hair thicker and grow. So this probably not the best thing to use for her.

An important part of taking caring of natural hair is detangling. It makes the process like a thousands times easier and you won't damage the hair trying to comb through it.

I can give more tips on what I do if you want. .?

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
You can buy keratin formaldehyde free. .

Keratin = protein

I think a lot of people actually use it to try to make their hair thicker and grow. So this probably not the best thing to use for her.

An important part of taking caring of natural hair is detangling. It makes the process like a thousands times easier and you won't damage the hair trying to comb through it.

I can give more tips on what I do if you want. .?

:) Hi