You Can’t Be Woke and Disrespect Black Women

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
http://www.ebony.com/news-views/woke-black-man

This writer shares how a seemingly innocent joke led him to some uncomfortable truths about what it means to be ‘woke.’

If the road to hell was paved with good intentions, I had apparently packed my bags and was preparing for my departure first thing Monday morning. Even more surprising: who knew the BET Awards would teach me a much-needed lesson about how seemingly innocent jokes can harm Black women?

On a night when Beyoncé and Kendrick “broke the chains,” and Prince finally got a tribute worthy of his stature, Jesse Williams delivered one hell of a speech on racism, equity, and equality. As an activist, I felt a sense of euphoria as the plight of the voiceless was being masterfully conveyed in a poignant, unapologetic way. However, just minutes later this moment of pride would be quickly destroyed by ridicule of the women Williams had just promised we Black men would do better to protect.

As a certain singer walked to the mic and began reading from the teleprompter, my first thought (and subsequent typo-ridden post) was as follows:

“Sooo yall gonna pretend yall won't surprised at [the singer] reading the teleprompter? Ok den #‎BETAWARDS‬”

How rich was it that I wrote a post joking about her reading abilities using broken English and my “what you won’t do” voice? Despite my abuse of the language, comments and jokes came rolling in, most in agreement with my unnecessary dig. A quick survey of social media found many others held that very same opinion, complete with memes and tweets to boot. The intent of my joke was to make people laugh, not disrespect the singer, but as I reflected on it the following day I realized my dig at her perceived intelligence wasn’t a laughing matter.

Thankfully, a friend called me on my B.S., questioning the purpose of such a mean post in the first place. It didn’t take me long to figure out that something that I didn’t intend on being hurtful was an example of the ways in which even the most “woke” folks can be elitist, sexist, and just as bad as those who keep us oppressed.

The intersectional nature of Blackness comes with certain responsibilities and privileges. One must be careful not to separate them self based on things like education level, class, gender, sexuality, or region. We have to make an effort not to find comfort in being “this type of Black,” while putting down others who are “that type of Black”—the type we feel is somehow subpar. After all, respectability politics have no place in the push for equity and equality, and being divisive in this fight based on sex, education, or socio-economic status compromises the freedom of us all.

As a Black man with advanced education, I had become the very thing that I have chosen to fight against in other parts of my life--willfully exclusive, not willingly inclusive. Moreover, the ability to read, comprehend, and write well is more often than not something afforded to those with a much higher socioeconomic status and access to high-quality education. My wrongheaded decision to condemn a Black woman for her reading skills, when reading was once a right only afforded to white people, fed directly into using the tools of oppression against our own. I was effectively saying I wasn’t the same type of Black person as this sister because I’ve been privileged enough to finish college—and that was wrong.

To make matters worse, the singer has been very open about her reading struggles—something many other grown folks deal with as well. While she has since gone back to, and completed, school, according to the Literacy Project, "44 million adults are now unable to read a simple story to their children." So it's clear my snarky joke could have hit far more people than its intended target.

Far too often, we have these conversations about celebrities who’ve been in the business for years and continue to box them into old behaviors and traits that they may have outgrown. Even worse, we help to perpetuate stereotypes forced on our community as a way to separate ourselves from each other to show we are different or elite. The intent of something small, like my bad joke, can inadvertently destroy the freedom we are trying to obtain. As a member of the Black LGBTQ community, I know how it feels to be thought of as “less than” based on stereotypes. In turn, I boxed the sister into a stereotype was not fair to her, and in doing so, I became the exact type of Black man that Jesse Williams cautioned against.

It would have been just as easy for me to lob the same joke at the male rappers, comedians, and actors who crossed the stage that night. Instead, I chose to throw shade. And for that I apologize.

I must also apologize to every Black woman who was offended by my joke, which very well could have made them feel like an unprotected target, because far too often they are the butt of stigmatizing jokes. As humans we definitely make mistakes, but it takes accountability to prevent the missteps from becoming a habit. And continuing to joke about someone’s education, lifestyle, socioeconomic level, or relationship status does little more than add to the onslaught of criticism Black folks, and particularly Black women, already face. Thankfully, a friend called me out and challenged me to reflect on my actions. And thankfully, it helped me become a much better version of myself. It is truly our duty as Black men to love, support, affirm, and protect Black women—being “woke,” while continuing to take jabs at sisters, is not hardly enough. I learned this much-needed lesson, and I hope many other Black men will too.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
A sincere apology is a powerful thing, especially a commitment to NOT replicate the mistake.

but its interesting that i cannot find the original article, why would they take it down?

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Oh happy 4th!!!

and what did you cook for the 4th of July weekend?

Thanks! Backatcha. I didn't cook anything actually. I haven't BBQ'd once this year. I plan on having a cookout next month though because I have family coming to town. I plan on making spaghetti in a lil bit tho. There's a salad in the fridge, my brother will be ok.

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
http://www.ebony.com/news-views/woke-black-man

This writer shares how a seemingly innocent joke led him to some uncomfortable truths about what it means to be ‘woke.’

If the road to hell was paved with good intentions, I had apparently packed my bags and was preparing for my departure first thing Monday morning. Even more surprising: who knew the BET Awards would teach me a much-needed lesson about how seemingly innocent jokes can harm Black women?

On a night when Beyoncé and Kendrick “broke the chains,” and Prince finally got a tribute worthy of his stature, Jesse Williams delivered one hell of a speech on racism, equity, and equality. As an activist, I felt a sense of euphoria as the plight of the voiceless was being masterfully conveyed in a poignant, unapologetic way. However, just minutes later this moment of pride would be quickly destroyed by ridicule of the women Williams had just promised we Black men would do better to protect.

As a certain singer walked to the mic and began reading from the teleprompter, my first thought (and subsequent typo-ridden post) was as follows:

“Sooo yall gonna pretend yall won't surprised at [the singer] reading the teleprompter? Ok den #‎BETAWARDS‬”

How rich was it that I wrote a post joking about her reading abilities using broken English and my “what you won’t do” voice? Despite my abuse of the language, comments and jokes came rolling in, most in agreement with my unnecessary dig. A quick survey of social media found many others held that very same opinion, complete with memes and tweets to boot. The intent of my joke was to make people laugh, not disrespect the singer, but as I reflected on it the following day I realized my dig at her perceived intelligence wasn’t a laughing matter.

Thankfully, a friend called me on my B.S., questioning the purpose of such a mean post in the first place. It didn’t take me long to figure out that something that I didn’t intend on being hurtful was an example of the ways in which even the most “woke” folks can be elitist, sexist, and just as bad as those who keep us oppressed.

The intersectional nature of Blackness comes with certain responsibilities and privileges. One must be careful not to separate them self based on things like education level, class, gender, sexuality, or region. We have to make an effort not to find comfort in being “this type of Black,” while putting down others who are “that type of Black”—the type we feel is somehow subpar. After all, respectability politics have no place in the push for equity and equality, and being divisive in this fight based on sex, education, or socio-economic status compromises the freedom of us all.

As a Black man with advanced education, I had become the very thing that I have chosen to fight against in other parts of my life--willfully exclusive, not willingly inclusive. Moreover, the ability to read, comprehend, and write well is more often than not something afforded to those with a much higher socioeconomic status and access to high-quality education. My wrongheaded decision to condemn a Black woman for her reading skills, when reading was once a right only afforded to white people, fed directly into using the tools of oppression against our own. I was effectively saying I wasn’t the same type of Black person as this sister because I’ve been privileged enough to finish college—and that was wrong.

To make matters worse, the singer has been very open about her reading struggles—something many other grown folks deal with as well. While she has since gone back to, and completed, school, according to the Literacy Project, "44 million adults are now unable to read a simple story to their children." So it's clear my snarky joke could have hit far more people than its intended target.

Far too often, we have these conversations about celebrities who’ve been in the business for years and continue to box them into old behaviors and traits that they may have outgrown. Even worse, we help to perpetuate stereotypes forced on our community as a way to separate ourselves from each other to show we are different or elite. The intent of something small, like my bad joke, can inadvertently destroy the freedom we are trying to obtain. As a member of the Black LGBTQ community, I know how it feels to be thought of as “less than” based on stereotypes. In turn, I boxed the sister into a stereotype was not fair to her, and in doing so, I became the exact type of Black man that Jesse Williams cautioned against.

It would have been just as easy for me to lob the same joke at the male rappers, comedians, and actors who crossed the stage that night. Instead, I chose to throw shade. And for that I apologize.

I must also apologize to every Black woman who was offended by my joke, which very well could have made them feel like an unprotected target, because far too often they are the butt of stigmatizing jokes. As humans we definitely make mistakes, but it takes accountability to prevent the missteps from becoming a habit. And continuing to joke about someone’s education, lifestyle, socioeconomic level, or relationship status does little more than add to the onslaught of criticism Black folks, and particularly Black women, already face. Thankfully, a friend called me out and challenged me to reflect on my actions. And thankfully, it helped me become a much better version of myself. It is truly our duty as Black men to love, support, affirm, and protect Black women—being “woke,” while continuing to take jabs at sisters, is not hardly enough. I learned this much-needed lesson, and I hope many other Black men will too.

So where's the line that seperates 'being disrespectful' and 'calling out fuckery'?

Just curious, because it seems like in the social media age women in general, black women in particular want attention minus criticism; and ANY criticism is automatically seen as disrespect.

I'm willing to concede their is a lot of disrespect of black women...there is also alot of fuckery by black women. Or maybe, LIKE BLACK MEN, black woman are too the victims of a narrative they don't have control over that always shows the worst of them in the worst light.

'What it looks like' tends to trump 'What it is' to the uninformed and uninitiated....trust me I know. I'm a black man in America. All my life I've been told how I'm not doing enough, I need to get it together, I need to figure it out, I am no good, "where the good black men at", by black women...in mass...ON TELEVISION. Yet out of every black man I've ever known I only know of TWO who were complete fuck ups and pieces of shit; most were making it, some were figuring it out, and others were truly dealt fucked up hands and playing their cards the best they could.

But hey, fuck that noise right? 'Niggas Ain't Shit' 'Bitches Ain't Shit.'. Swings both ways....

Maybe....JUST MAYBE....we both owe each other some apologies.

And maybe....JUST MAYBE....black woman need to fess up to their fuckery- acknowledgement goes a looooooooong way. It isn't like black men aren't made to fuss up and acknowledge ours....on a daily bases.

*two cents *

Last edited:

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
So where's the line that seperates 'being disrespectful' and 'calling out fuckery'?

Just curious, because it seems like in the social media age women in general, black women in particular want attention minus criticism; and any criticism is automatically seen as disrespect.

I'm willing to concede their is a lot of disrespect of black women...there is also alot of fuckery. Or maybe, LIKE BLACK MEN, black woman are too the victims of a narrative they don't have control over that always shows the worst of them.

'What it looks like' tends to trump 'What it is' to the uninformed and uninitiated....trust me I know. I'm a black man in America. All my life I've been told how I'm not doing enough, need to get it together, need to figure it out, am no good, where the good one's at, by black women...in mass...ON TELEVISION. Yet out if every black man I know I only know of TWO who were complete fuck ups and pieces of shit; most were making it, some were figuring it out, and others were truly dealt fucked up hands and playing theit cards the best they could.

But hey, fuck that noise right? 'Niggas Ain't Shit' 'Bitches Ain't Shit.'. Swings both ways....

Or maybe....JUST MAYBE....black woman need to fess up to their fuckery. It isn't like black man aren't made to fuss up and acknowledge ours....on a daily bases.

*two cents *

We often have to speak in generalities for the sake of brevity, but I don't advocate painting any group with a broad brush. There is absolutely fuckery on both "sides", and I don't have a problem with calling out people's poor behavior. The problem is that you don't often actually see constructive criticism, and what people try to pass off as criticism is usually an attempt to belittle or ridicule someone.

I don't think there is any way you can live in today's society and not embrace some stereotypes, positive or negative. I try to be aware of my thoughts and push back on any that don't serve don't serve me. I'm sleepy so I don't really have the ability to give a more thoughtful answer right now, but I'll come back to this later. I agree with you though and have expressed similar thoughts before:
https://chantspeaks.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/word-matter-speak-life-to-your-children

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
We often have to speak in generalities for the sake of brevity, but I don't advocate painting any group with a broad brush. There is absolutely fuckery on both "sides", and I don't have a problem with calling out people's poor behavior. The problem is that you don't often actually see constructive criticism, and what people try to pass off as criticism is usually an attempt to belittle or ridicule someone.

I don't think there is any way you can live in today's society and not embrace some stereotypes, positive or negative. I try to be aware of my thoughts and push back on any that don't serve don't serve me. I'm sleepy so I don't really have the ability to give a more thoughtful answer right now, but I'll come back to this later. I agree with you though and have expressed similar thoughts before:
https://chantspeaks.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/word-matter-speak-life-to-your-children
Please do.
*two cents *

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

Just curious, because it seems like in the social media age women in general, black women in particular want attention minus criticism; and ANY criticism is automatically seen as disrespect.

I'm willing to concede their is a lot of disrespect of black women...there is also alot of fuckery by black women. Or maybe, LIKE BLACK MEN, black woman are too the victims of a narrative they don't have control over that always shows the worst of them in the worst light.

'What it looks like' tends to trump 'What it is' to the uninformed and uninitiated....trust me I know. I'm a black man in America. All my life I've been told how I'm not doing enough, I need to get it together, I need to figure it out, I am no good, "where the good black men at", by black women...in mass...ON TELEVISION. Yet out of every black man I've ever known I only know of TWO who were complete fuck ups and pieces of shit; most were making it, some were figuring it out, and others were truly dealt fucked up hands and playing their cards the best they could.

And maybe....JUST MAYBE....black woman need to fess up to their fuckery- acknowledgement goes a looooooooong way. It isn't like black men aren't made to fuss up and acknowledge ours....on a daily bases.

*two cents *

I think the issues that you are addressing are broader than the issues that were being addressed by the author in the OP, even though they intersect. Fantasia has a known history of illiteracy, and she came out and, according to the tweets I saw, did a good job and was still made the butt of jokes. There was no fuckery to call out. She had grown and evolved, fixed a problem she had had with herself, and her past was thrown up in her face as though to shame her.

There is a whole lot of behavior that I see in the black community that I take issue with. However, I have enough experience to know that the behavior of a few does not represent us as a group. That is white thinking that we have adopted: having to represent the race to prove to white folks we deserve to be here or at the very least given a pass to stay for the time being. We are all affected by it to some degree. That's why when there is a mass shooting or something we are all praying it was done by a white guy because we know the backlash we will receive from white folks. White folks can have dumb and dumber, trailer trash stereotypes that don't get generalized or applied to their whole group. They have enough diversity in the images that represent them, and the other white people that they interact with that few negative stereotypes stick. In order for us to diversify our image, we actually have to diversify our image. While I sometimes cringe at what I see on tv, the solution isn't to silence or hide those people shamefully, it's to put out a counter image that encompasses black excellence so that we have more than one representation.

The problem with calling out black men or black women en mass, is that it is going to be perceived as an attack, regardless of intentions. You put people on the defensive where instead of looking inward, they are going to attack outward. You become the focus, not them. If you have someone that you have PERSONAL relationship and can speak into their lives, that is one thing. Also it needs to start privately, not in front of people. Shaming tactics rarely work, and can make people stubborn even if they want to change. Also if you have always been critical and condescending your words still may not be well received. This gets harder when you have groups of people who do not have personal mentors or examples in their lives. That is why symbols such as Michelle Obama and her daughters are important, they give another image to aspire to. The black community by holding them up with praise and respect has made many want that same adoration for themselves, giving them an alternative to video vixens.

As far as blame, there is plenty to go around. I remember when things started to change, when black comedians started to use black women as fodder for their jokes. I remember when the nice, quite black girl started to get passed up for white women. Even though stats show that most relationships are still intra-racial, the public discourse was different. You've witnessed the dialogue around here. And the things that were used against us were often things we had no control over: She has long hair down her back. You're too dark. And the things men used to their advantage to gain benefit for themselves: white girls give head, why don't you give head? White girls do anal, why don't you do anal. You want me to choose you over a white girl? Do what they do. Now we have ghetto gaggers and shit. We have black girls half naked on Instagram, because unless they were showing tits and ass they were not getting any attention. (There is a whole different conversation to be had about girls not knowing the difference between sexy and slutty. And yet another one to be had about so called "attention whores". Women like to know they are desired, it's our basic makeup, the means to that end has become corrupted though.) These same men, many who will date and fuck any and every race with abandon, will now call black women "negro bed wenches" for choosing to be with a white guy. This is insulting, not only to black women in this day and age, but to our slave ancestors who were frightened, terrorized, brutalized and raped and had no choice in the matter. The only thing that ever bothered me tho was this one: White girls/other races are so friendly and feminine and welcoming. Black women are mean and manly.

Now black women do not often have the same protections that white women have in our society. Sometimes the people who should be protecting us are preying on us. White women are taught to smile to disarm folks and buy themselves time. They are taught to smile when they are uncomfortable. I'm not white, but I realized I do something similar when a friend called me out on it. Some guy was trying to holler at me, I smiled in acknowledgement and kept walking quickly away. Black girls growing up are mainly taught to "be hard" to protect themselves. It is a learned defense mechanism that we get blamed for, with no attempts to change the environments that cause and contribute to the need for it. Street harassment comes up, women say they are scared, and we are told we are over reacting. We have videos on here all the time of a woman getting attacked and the men recording it instead of intervening. What I used to do, few can get away with now. Just like the police, you all have a a subgroup that is really dangerous to women, but instead of addressing them, you (menfolk in general) want to tell women they are over reacting:

I have a few more thoughts, but I need to know what fuckery are you referring to that men confess to on a daily basis?

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
I think the issues that you are addressing are broader than the issues that were being addressed by the author in the OP, even though they intersect. Fantasia has a known history of illiteracy, and she came out and, according to the tweets I saw, did a good job and was still made the butt of jokes. There was no fuckery to call out. She had grown and evolved, fixed a problem she had had with herself, and her past was thrown up in her face as though to shame her.

There is a whole lot of behavior that I see in the black community that I take issue with. However, I have enough experience to know that the behavior of a few does not represent us as a group. That is white thinking that we have adopted: having to represent the race to prove to white folks we deserve to be here or at the very least given a pass to stay for the time being. We are all affected by it to some degree. That's why when there is a mass shooting or something we are all praying it was done by a white guy because we know the backlash we will receive from white folks. White folks can have dumb and dumber, trailer trash stereotypes that don't get generalized or applied to their whole group. They have enough diversity in the images that represent them, and the other white people that they interact with that few negative stereotypes stick. In order for us to diversify our image, we actually have to diversify our image. While I sometimes cringe at what I see on tv, the solution isn't to silence or hide those people shamefully, it's to put out a counter image that encompasses black excellence so that we have more than one representation.

The problem with calling out black men or black women en mass, is that it is going to be perceived as an attack, regardless of intentions. You put people on the defensive where instead of looking inward, they are going to attack outward. You become the focus, not them. If you have someone that you have PERSONAL relationship and can speak into their lives, that is one thing. Also it needs to start privately, not in front of people. Shaming tactics rarely work, and can make people stubborn even if they want to change. Also if you have always been critical and condescending your words still may not be well received. This gets harder when you have groups of people who do not have personal mentors or examples in their lives. That is why symbols such as Michelle Obama and her daughters are important, they give another image to aspire to. The black community by holding them up with praise and respect has made many want that same adoration for themselves, giving them an alternative to video vixens.

As far as blame, there is plenty to go around. I remember when things started to change, when black comedians started to use black women as fodder for their jokes. I remember when the nice, quite black girl started to get passed up for white women. Even though stats show that most relationships are still intra-racial, the public discourse was different. You've witnessed the dialogue around here. And the things that were used against us were often things we had no control over: She has long hair down her back. You're too dark. And the things men used to their advantage to gain benefit for themselves: white girls give head, why don't you give head? White girls do anal, why don't you do anal. You want me to choose you over a white girl? Do what they do. Now we have ghetto gaggers and shit. We have black girls have naked on Instagram, because unless they were showing tits and ass they were not getting any attention. (There is a whole different conversation to be had about girls not knowing the difference between sexy and slutty. And yet another one to be had about so called "attention whores". Women like to know they are desired, it's our basic makeup, the means to that end has become corrupted though.) These same men, many who will date and fuck any and every race with abandon, will now call black women "negro bed wenches" for choosing to be with a white guy. This is insulting, not only to black women in this day and age, but to our slave ancestors who were frightened, terrorized, brutalized and raped and had no choice in the matter. The only thing that ever bothered me tho was this one: White girls/other races are so friendly and feminine and welcoming. Black women are mean and manly.

Now black women do not often have the same protections that white women have in our society. Sometimes the people who should be protecting us are preying on us. White women are taught to smile to disarm folks and buy themselves time. They are taught to smile when they are uncomfortable. I'm not white, but I realized I do something similar when a friend called me out on it. Some guy was trying to holler at me, I smiled in acknowledgement and kept walking quickly away. Black girls growing up are mainly taught to "be hard" to protect themselves. It is a learned defense mechanism that we get blamed for, with no attempts to change the environments that cause and contribute to the need for it. Street harassment comes up, women say they are scared, and we are told we are over reacting. We have videos on here all the time of a woman getting attacked and the men recording it instead of intervening. What I used to do few can get away with now. Just like the police, you all have a a subgroup that is really dangerous to women, but instead of addressing them, you (menfolk in general) want to tell women they are over reacting:

I have a few more thoughts, but I need to know what fuckery are you referring to that men confess to on a daily basis?

Out of respect for your LOOOOOOOOONG ;) and thought out response I'll take the time to address each of your points then give a general rebuttal.

It's going to take a minute.

*two cents *

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Out of respect for your LOOOOOOOOONG ;) and thought out response I'll take the time to address each of your points then give a general rebuttal.

It's going to take a minute.

*two cents *

Take your time I'm about to go to bed in a bit so I can be up for work in a few hours.