"WW C"- COVID-19, GLOBAL CASES SURPASS 676 MILLION...CASES 676,609,955 DEATHS 6,881,955 US CASES 103,804,263 US DEATHS 1,123,836 8:30pm 1/28/24

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
What the fuck am I missing, do they know something they aren't disclosing to the publics that makes everyone comfortable enough to remove these restrictions while this virus is still rapidly spreading and under 50% of the population is fully vaccinated :confused:
I keep saying it is like DeSantis is creating the national Covid plan for this country. Everything that was stated in this thread back in 2020 about them normalizing this has come to pass. :smh:

Built4Life

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What the fuck am I missing, do they know something they aren't disclosing to the publics that makes everyone comfortable enough to remove these restrictions while this virus is still rapidly spreading and under 50% of the population is fully vaccinated :confused:

No you aren't. it is a willful decision to bring things back to "normal." So... ignore it as if it is going to go away and whomever is caught in the crosshairs be damned..

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I don’t want it for me or my family. We are not trying to fuck with long Covid. Minus whale change my screen name to Darth Vader because that’s how me and mine will be masked up. Just got 100 N95s last week.

Im shocked at the amount of people just out here with a yolo attitude. Especially Black people. We always get the short end of the stick in healthcare and we still don’t know shit about the long term effects.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
I don’t want it for me or my family. We are not trying to fuck with long Covid. Minus whale change my screen name to Darth Vader because that’s how me and mine will be masked up. Just got 100 N95s last week.

Im shocked at the amount of people just out here with a yolo attitude. Especially Black people. We always get the short end of the stick in healthcare and we still don’t know shit about the long term effects.

You're smart to do what you think is best. I understand folks wanting to get back to normal, but at the same time a lot of those folks think that means wylen all the way the fuck out and throwing all caution to the wind. Hell, I want to travel again and plan to... but def plan on being more cautious than most (I'm already a huge germaphobe, mask up when nec./needed for sure).

The World is gonna World. But don't let it keep us from doing what's best to protect ourselves and our families.

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Basically with vaccines and treatment meds in play, the government's official position is, "We gave you the means to mitigate this without it being deadly. The rest is on you."

The problem is that that isn't what they are saying. And the lack of clarity there leads to a lot of people misunderstanding and thinking that things are simply "over" or "back to normal".

I've hung out with family and close friends. I've even gone to events and places. But while I'm out, I'm still as safe as humanly possible, and I stay the hell away from people unless we're all masked. For the rest of my life, if I don't feel well, I'll probably stay fully masked if I'm out in public, because I learned that that was something that made sense to do to protect other people. There is a risk attached to everything, but it's not as huge a risk as simply doing whatever you feel like with no regards for safety or consequences.

Then again, it's not like disregarding other people's (and your own) well being is anything new, so it shouldn't be shocking. More disappointing, given the number of people we lost to both this disease and some people' stubbornness and ignorance.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
U.S. Drops COVID Testing for Incoming International Air Travelers

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The United States late Friday rescinded a 17-month-old requirement that people arriving in the country by air test negative for COVID-19, a move that follows intense lobbying by airlines and the travel industry.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Rochelle Walensky issued a four-page order https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/rescission-global-testing-order-p.pdf.pdf lifting the mandate, effective at 12:01 a.m. ET (0400 GMT) Sunday, saying it is "not currently necessary."
The requirement had been one of the last major U.S. COVID-19 travel requirements. Its end comes as the summer travel season kicks off, and airlines were already preparing for record demand. Airlines have said that many Americans have not been not traveling internationally because of concerns they will test positive and be stranded abroad.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra said the CDC decision https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022...vid-19-testing-prior-to-flight-to-the-us.html is based on science and available data, and said the agency "will not hesitate to reinstate a pre-departure testing requirement, if needed later."
The CDC will reassess the decision in 90 days, an administration official said.
The United States has required incoming international air travelers to provide pre-departure negative tests since January 2021. In December the CDC tightened the rule to require travelers to test negative within one day before flights to the United States rather than three days.
The CDC has not required testing for land border crossings.

CONTINUED:
U.S. Drops COVID Testing for Incoming International Air Travelers | Top News | US News

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Listened to this episode just now. It's only 30 minutes. The 1st guest is only on briefly and doesn't say too much - basic stuff we're mostly familiar with. The 2nd guest is quite good & details her experience with long COVID (she initially got sick in March 2020). Listen for when she discusses brain fog and what it's like dealing with memory / cognitive issues ...

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Listened to this episode just now. It's only 30 minutes. The 1st guest is only on briefly and doesn't say too much - basic stuff we're mostly familiar with. The 2nd guest is quite good & details her experience with long COVID (she initially got sick in March 2020). Listen for when she discusses brain fog and what it's like dealing with memory / cognitive issues ...

Real shit. The NYT podcast The Daily had a similar episode on May 20… one woman has to make lists for everything and had an index card with the steps written out on how to brush her teeth every morning.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor

Don't be fooled: COVID is still with us, as dangerous as ever

longcovidneuroinflammationtracer.jpg

Just a few days ago, I came across a comment here in a diary about COVID. The Kossack pushed the sentiment that COVID is due to become endemic, will join other seasonal coronaviruses that cause the common cold, and that we should all just hunker down. I consider this type of comment to be, “Well, it’s all over; stop trying to save yourselves. Get used to it. There’s nothing you can do.” To me, this is a call to drop defenses.

We have a lot on our plates right now (Ukraine still at war, Roe slated to die, white supremacy and mass shootings coming to a head, January 6 committee front and center), but COVID is still one of them. It’s just that, as a nation, we’re simply not talking about it.

Here is a smattering of COVID news from the past few weeks. (Emphases below are mine.) We can’t afford to pretend the danger has passed. We’re still in the thick of it.

‘We’re playing with fire’: US Covid cases may be 30 times higher than reported
(The Guardian, June 2, 2022)

Covid cases could be undercounted by a factor of 30, an early survey of the surge in New York City indicates. “It would appear official case counts are under-estimating the true burden of infection by about 30-fold, which is a huge surprise,” said Denis Nash, an author of the study and a distinguished professor of epidemiology at the City University of New York School of Public Health.

About one in five – 22% – of adult New Yorkers likely had Covid between 23 April and 8 May, according to the preprint study, which has not been peer-reviewed or published. That would mean 1.5 million adults in the city had Covid in a single two-week period – far higher than official counts during that time. …

There is also a “huge disincentive” for many people to get tested for Covid, said Lara Jirmanus, a family physician and clinical instructor at Harvard Medical School. Americans have been told the virus is mild and won’t affect their lives, she said, but if they test positive, they need to stay home from work and school.

It’s almost as though we’ve created a national ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ Covid policy – and that is a perfect way to promise that Covid will spread rapidly,” she said – especially concerning given as much as 60% of Covid transmission happens from people who never have any symptoms.

… “To just decide that it’s perfectly fine for everyone to be infected three to four times a year in the future with a new virus whose effects we don’t fully understand is a huge, huge gamble,” she continued. “We just don’t know what Covid could lead to in the future… We’re playing with fire.”

Association between long-term exposure to ambient air pollution and COVID-19 severity
(Canadian Medical Association Journal, May 24, 2022)

We observed that people with SARS-CoV-2 infection who lived in areas of Ontario with higher levels of common air pollutants (PM2.5, NO2 and O3) were at elevated risk of being admitted to the ICU after we adjusted for individual and contextual confounding factors, even when the air pollution level was relatively low. In addition, we found that chronic exposure to PM2.5 and O3 was associated with elevated risk of COVID-19–related hospital admission, and exposure to O3 was also associated with elevated risk of death due to COVID-19. These results suggest that chronic exposure to air pollution before SARS-CoV-2 infection may contribute to COVID-19 severity, particularly chronic exposure to O3.

(PM2.5 refers to particulate matter larger than 2.5 nanometers; NO2 is nitrous oxide, O3 is ozone.)

Covid infection may induce severe bone loss, suggests animal study
(The Tribune India, May 27, 2022)

To study the effects of SARS-CoV-2 infection on bone metabolism, the researchers from the University of Hong Kong infected Syrian hamsters with SARS-CoV-2.

They then collected their bone tissues after the infection and analysed them using three-dimensional micro-computerised tomography scans.

The study found that SARS-CoV-2 infection induced severe bone loss from 20 per cent to 50 per cent progressively in particular to the trabecular bone in the long bones and lumbar vertebrae.

The cytokine dysregulation or inability to control inflammation, induced by SARS-CoV-2, triggered an amplified pro-inflammatory cascade in the skeletal tissues to augment their breakdown.

The researchers said their team is the first in the world to report the effects of SARS-CoV-2 on bone metabolism using a well-established Syrian hamster model that closely mimics covid-19 in humans.

(Original study published in Nature Communications, May 9, 2022.)

Risk of blood clots in lungs doubles for Covid survivors, study says
(The National, May 27, 2022)

One in five people who catch Covid-19 are likely to go on to develop another health condition, research says.

The study from the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention found survivors were twice as likely to develop a pulmonary embolism or respiratory illness compared to people who were never infected.

A pulmonary embolism is a clot that develops in a blood vessel that travels to an artery that goes from the heart to the lungs, which can block the normal flow of blood.

Researchers studied the electronic health records of almost two million people, around 353,000 of whom had the virus, from March 2020 to November last year.

One in five of those who had the virus in the 18–64 age group and one in four survivors aged 65 years or older experienced at least one 'incident,' such as a blood clot or pulmonary embolism, that might be attributable to a previous infection.

(Original findings at CDC.)

In Long COVID, Blood Markers Are Linked to Neuropsychiatric Symptoms
(Neuroscience News, May 28, 2022)

The researchers first isolated protein-filled sacs, called exosomes, released into the blood by all kinds of cells, then selected for only those exosomes derived from neurons and supporting cells known as astrocytes. Goetzl sees this approach as a proxy measure reflecting the disruption that occurs to cells in the brain in the aftermath of SARS-CoV-2 infection.

The analysis detected much higher average levels of two SARS-CoV-2 viral proteins they measured—the nucleocapsid protein and the spike protein—in blood plasma samples collected between six and 12 weeks after diagnosis from patients infected with COVID who had neuropsychiatric symptoms in comparison to samples from those who had long COVID, but who did not have neuropsychiatric symptoms.

Levels of these proteins from neuronal exosomes in long COVID patients without neuropsychiatric illness were still higher than levels from patients without long COVID.

(Original study published by Annals of Neurology, March 13, 2022.)

Babies Exposed to COVID in the Womb Show Neurodevelopmental Changes
(Neuroscience News, June 6, 2022)

Researchers found that babies born to mothers who had been infected show greater difficulties in relaxing and adapting their bodies when they are being held, when compared to infants from non-infected mothers, especially when infection took place in late pregnancy.

Moreover, infants born from infected mothers tend to show greater difficulty in controlling head and shoulder movement. These alterations suggest a possible COVID-19 effect on motor function (movement control). …

The researchers are presenting the data on pregnancy and post-natal assessment at 6 weeks after birth, but the project will continue to see if there are longer-term effects. The group will monitor infant language and motor development between 18 and 42 months old.

(This research was presented at the 30th European Congress of Psychiatry.)

“Long COVID” May Be Caused by High Levels of Virus-Specific T Cells
(Contagion Live, June 9, 2022)

A recent study, published in PLOS Pathogens, compared the frequencies of COVID-19-specific T cells and inflammatory markers with lung function in patients who had either pulmonary PASC or resolved COVID-19.
“The persistence of high numbers of virus-specific T cells in individuals with long COVID suggests that there may be hidden viral reservoirs that are maintaining and leading to long-term symptoms,” said Brent Palmer, PhD, the study’s senior author and an associate professor of allergy and clinical immunology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. ...
Palmer and fellow investigators found that patients who suffered from long COVID had virus-specific T cell levels that were more than 100 times higher than in patients who made a full recovery. The patients with PASC had frequencies of IFN-γ- and TNF-α-producing SARS-CoV-2-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cells in peripheral blood that were 6-105 times higher.
Covid can cause ongoing damage to heart, lungs and kidneys, study finds
(The Guardian, May 23, 2022)
The authors write that, compared with controls, those who had been hospitalised with Covid showed several abnormalities, including in results from imaging of the heart, lungs and kidneys.
The team found about 13%, or one in eight, of those hospitalised for Covid were deemed by experts to be very likely to have myocarditis, or heart inflammation, compared with just one control participant. …
The likelihood of myocarditis was higher among healthcare workers and those with acute kidney injury, as well as those with more severe disease requiring invasive ventilation.
(Original study published at Nature Medicine, May 23, 2022.)
Over 75 Percent of Long Covid Patients Were Not Hospitalized for Initial Illness, Study Finds
(New York Times, May 18, 2022)
The study, conducted by FAIR Health, a nonprofit organization that focuses on health care costs and insurance issues, found that 76 percent of the long Covid patients did not require hospitalization for their initial coronavirus infection. …
More than three-quarters of the patients in the study were infected in 2021, most of those in the last half of the year. On average, patients were still experiencing long Covid symptoms that qualified for the diagnosis four and a half months after their infection. …
Because the study captured only a privately insured population, Dr. Ssentongo said, it almost certainly understates the scope and burden of long Covid, especially since low-income communities have been disproportionately affected by the virus and often have less access to health care. “I think it may even be worse if we added in the Medicaid population and all these other people that would have been missed” in the study’s data, he said.
(Original white paper by FAIR Health, May 18, 2022.)

CONTINUED:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Real shit. The NYT podcast The Daily had a similar episode on May 20… one woman has to make lists for everything and had an index card with the steps written out on how to brush her teeth every morning.

Damn. The unknown. The potential long-term health complications.

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Not gonna lie... the one thing that I'm still wary of is the potential for some sort of long term issue(s) from getting infected.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Not gonna lie... the one thing that I'm still wary of is the potential for some sort of long term issue(s) from getting infected.

Agreed man - still being cautious when it comes to my interactions with older family members, and avoiding the large group settings. No need for that. Not worth the risk.

Do not want long-term health complications for myself, OR be the one to get my family members sick.

As I keep saying to my friends, family and coworkers ... I'm always a bit caught off-guard when visiting a grocery store. A good amount of people are still masked, and others aren't. Often the middle-aged people ARE, and the older seniors aren't (huh?) ... and keep in mind shoppers are visiting a store for say 20 - 60 minutes. What's with all the staffing who are there all day and NOT masked? They're around countless strangers. I know for damn sure if I worked frontline like that around the general public I'd be masked. And when you're moving around the store, be respectful of others ... give people plenty of space and don't crowd or rush people. Patience is key.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Agreed man - still being cautious when it comes to my interactions with older family members, and avoiding the large group settings. No need for that. Not worth the risk.

Do not want long-term health complications for myself, OR be the one to get my family members sick.

As I keep saying to my friends, family and coworkers ... I'm always a bit caught off-guard when visiting a grocery store. A good amount of people are still masked, and others aren't. Often the middle-aged people ARE, and the older seniors aren't (huh?) ... and keep in mind shoppers are visiting a store for say 20 - 60 minutes. What's with all the staffing who are there all day and NOT masked? They're around countless strangers. I know for damn sure if I worked frontline like that around the general public I'd be masked. And when you're moving around the store, be respectful of others ... give people plenty of space and don't crowd or rush people. Patience is key.

It's def a strange and confusing time. I feel like the cautiousness or lack thereof by some folks changes from day to day based on whether they give a damn, peer pressure, or the news cycle.

I'm hybrid now at work, so the days that I AM in I see the same handful of ppl. Two young attys in particular were mask-less and lovin life for a WHILE then I run into them both at the same time last week on the elevator and dudes are DOUBLE masked up..

The days that I commute into the office it's at least 50/50 mask vs no mask on the train now. Even though MTA constantly hollering that masks are still mandatory on Public transport and you would figure that is one place for sure you'd want to use caution.

I can't call it.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
It's def a strange and confusing time. I feel like the cautiousness or lack thereof by some folks changes from day to day based on whether they give a damn, peer pressure, or the news cycle.

I'm hybrid now at work, so the days that I AM in I see the same handful of ppl. Two young attys in particular were mask-less and lovin life for a WHILE then I run into them both at the same time last week on the elevator and dudes are DOUBLE masked up..

The days that I commute into the office it's at least 50/50 mask vs no mask on the train now. Even though MTA constantly hollering that masks are still mandatory on Public transport and you would figure that is one place for sure you'd want to use caution.

I can't call it.

I was talking to an oncall coworker who was taking public transit in 2020. Buses and skytrain. She said her biggest pet peeve was the other passengers constantly touching and readjusting their masks. She said to me - “just put the mask on and leave it there, people!”

Talked to my mom earlier this month. A friend of hers in her late 60s got covid. Now their 2 sons (1 autistic and 1 with severe anxiety) and her husband (currently battling cancer) all got sick. Cautious family too. Husband has a home care nurse that comes by daily to check on him as is, so that’s a bit of peace of mind, but still.

Just glad our workplace is small. Don’t have to be in a busy setting.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
I was talking to an oncall coworker who was taking public transit in 2020. Buses and skytrain. She said her biggest pet peeve was the other passengers constantly touching and readjusting their masks. She said to me - “just put the mask on and leave it there, people!”

Talked to my mom earlier this month. A friend of hers in her late 60s got covid. Now their 2 sons (1 autistic and 1 with severe anxiety) and her husband (currently battling cancer) all got sick. Cautious family too. Husband has a home care nurse that comes by daily to check on him as is, so that’s a bit of peace of mind, but still.

Just glad our workplace is small. Don’t have to be in a busy setting.

It's hard not to fiddle with the mask if you wearing it all day, but I know what you mean some folks can't leave it alone for 5 mins. I had to walk out of a fast food joint recently cuz the ppl making the food kept touching their masks in the back there :smh:

It's crazy how the shit is still running through whole families. That would be a nightmare. Everyone I know has been fortunate so far, but I guess you never know when it can catch yo ass slippin. Or just bad luck of the draw..

My office itself is pretty big, but EVERYONE is taking FULL advantage of hybrid. So its only a skeleton crew each day and we're pretty spread out amongst the entire building. I work closely with a few ppl but we're all pretty respectful of each others space. There is one Manager though, old school, gregarious type Italian dude, who is a HABITUAL line stepper. Real out of pocket, close talker. I guess he means well but it can get real annoying and a bit anxious when dude is around. DEF seems like one of those cats that just wants "COVID to be over" so he can come back to the office everyday and talk everyone to death.

As it stands now he already was one of the first people to return to the office as soon as it was allowed, and he comes in like 4 days a week commuting to the city from fucking CT for the smell of it. Meanwhile my boss (his peer) comes to the office like once a week, if that. Folks are nuts.

ALSO: this same dude mentioned something about everyone having had COVID at this point, and got me thinking that those folks probably hoping everyone has or will, because they thing "natural immunity" is the best way to get back to their normalcy. I haven't had that shit and do not want it... they better GTFOHWTBS, quick fast.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
It's hard not to fiddle with the mask if you wearing it all day, but I know what you mean some folks can't leave it alone for 5 mins. I had to walk out of a fast food joint recently cuz the ppl making the food kept touching their masks in the back there :smh:

It's crazy how the shit is still running through whole families. That would be a nightmare. Everyone I know has been fortunate so far, but I guess you never know when it can catch yo ass slippin. Or just bad luck of the draw..

My office itself is pretty big, but EVERYONE is taking FULL advantage of hybrid. So its only a skeleton crew each day and we're pretty spread out amongst the entire building. I work closely with a few ppl but we're all pretty respectful of each others space. There is one Manager though, old school, gregarious type Italian dude, who is a HABITUAL line stepper. Real out of pocket, close talker. I guess he means well but it can get real annoying and a bit anxious when dude is around. DEF seems like one of those cats that just wants "COVID to be over" so he can come back to the office everyday and talk everyone to death.

As it stands now he already was one of the first people to return to the office as soon as it was allowed, and he comes in like 4 days a week commuting to the city from fucking CT for the smell of it. Meanwhile my boss (his peer) comes to the office like once a week, if that. Folks are nuts.

ALSO: this same dude mentioned something about everyone having had COVID at this point, and got me thinking that those folks probably hoping everyone has or will, because they thing "natural immunity" is the best way to get back to their normalcy. I haven't had that shit and do not want it... they better GTFOHWTBS, quick fast.

Folks are definitely nuts. Trying to get back to “normal” ASAP helped prolong the heavy effects of the pandemic.

Glad to hear your crew is small and respectful of others’ personal space, minus the habitual line stepper.

Yes - the whole families stuff is scary. The husband was already going to the hospital to get fluid cleared from his lungs. Covid definitely ain’t helping that any for him. Good dude - he’s a lifetime friend of my dad’s. Soft-spoken guy that likes sports and music. Hope he pulls through!

Regarding mask adjusters ... yes the all day at work people are understandable. The people on transit on their phones constantly touching their faces over 30 mins is what aggravated her. There was a storm at the start of 2022. Took skytrain rapid transit for awhile to avoid icy roads. Made sure I was hyper aware around other passengers and not sitting anywhere I would get boxed in. Thankfully it was not during peak hours of the day. It was early & quite a bit later.

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is one of those things where, if people had done the right thing up front, it might have mattered.

Because if the wide majority of people had vaccinated, then the small minority of people who either hadn't or couldn't probably would have gotten infected and gotten sick. And yes, some vaccinated folks would have gotten infected as well, but the point is that after that initial wave or two, most people would have been protected from major symptoms or nursing some natural immunity. And the disease, with fewer options to travel and to mutate, might have been reduced and mitigated by that.

But because people had to be asshats about it, here we are years later on remix number umpteen of this thing cycling through the same people.

We have people at my job who have picked this thing up twice. One maybe three times even. So having it doesn't make you immune forever. I'd think that after being sick once, you'd make different decisions about your life, but I also know that there are people in my space that don't do that. That's literally why I got vaccinated. I couldn't rely on the dozen or so folks I interact with daily to make good decisions. Hell, some were announcing their poor decisions in advance.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Thanx anti-vaxers.... for a job well done

Deadly Victorian diseases on the rise post-lockdown
"If we stop immunising our children, then we go back to the Victorian era."

Poverty-has-been-blamed-on-the-rise-of-diseases-common-in-Victorian-times.jpg

Victorian diseases such as gout and tuberculosis have soared since England came out of lockdown

The number of people hospitalised with potentially deadly Victorian diseases has soared to a five-year high. Experts are warning that anti-vaccine sentiment could see some of these Dickensian illnesses “bounce back” - while parents have been urged to be on the lookout for signs in children as cases continue to rise.

Exclusive figures from the NHS reveal that patients in England were diagnosed with one of 13 Victorian diseases when admitted to hospital on 421,370 occasions in the year to March. They include all people admitted with these illnesses - which include gout, tuberculosis, malnutrition, whooping cough, measles, scurvy, typhoid, scarlet fever, diphtheria, mumps, rickets, cholera, and vitamin D deficiency - even if it wasn’t the primary reason for their admission.

The number was up by 25% from 338,216 hospital admissions in 2020/21, having dipped during the pandemic where previously it had been rising year-on-year. It puts the number of in-patients diagnosed with these diseases at the highest level seen since at least 2017/18, when these figures begin.

In particular, there were 229,888 cases of gout diagnosed in the year to March 2022 - up 23% from 186,570 the year before - as well as 174,933 cases of vitamin D deficiency (up 28% from 136,314). There were also 10,282 cases of malnutrition diagnosed, 4,663 cases of tuberculosis, 423 cases of rickets, 520 cases of scarlet fever, 188 cases of scurvy and 162 cases of typhoid fever.

A further 159 cases of mumps, 56 cases of whooping cough, 34 cases of measles, 49 cases of diphtheria and 13 cases of cholera were also diagnosed. Diseases such as these were the greatest cause of Victorian mortality - and while their impact and spread has since been contained thanks to developments such as clean water, wholesome food, education, antibiotics and vaccinations, the truth is they have never really gone away.

0_GettyImages-1240146087.jpg

Victorian diseases are "vaccine preventable"

Difficulty accessing routine NHS vaccinations or choosing to stay away from the health service throughout the pandemic may have also impacted these admissions - but Mr Baker warned that if a large proportion of children remain unvaccinated “post-covid”, there will likely be a peak in cases.

He added: “If we stop immunising our children, then we go back to the Victorian era. We look upon these things as a bit of a thing in the past because they are a thing in the past, not because we've got rid of them. It’s because we've controlled them through immunisation. If we take away vaccines they will bounce back.”

The UK Health Security Agency has also highlighted a post-lockdown rise in Victorian diseases such as scarlet fever, as children continue to mix freely. A total of 3,488 cases of scarlet fever were identified between September and March - lower than pre-pandemic levels, but compared to just 1,791 cases reported in the entire year to March 2021.

Rates have been highest in the North West of England, with officials in Warrington warning that cases are currently above pre-pandemic levels.

Speaking to the Warrington Guardian, cabinet member for public health and wellbeing, Cllr Maureen McLaughlin said: “This is since the removal of Covid-19 restrictions and the move closer to pre-pandemic levels of social mixing.

"While there could be a variety of factors driving this, our reduced exposure to bacteria and viruses during the pandemic may mean that we are experiencing an immunity deficit to some illnesses, leading to a higher susceptibility of infection.

Deadly Victorian diseases on the rise post-lockdown - Wales Online

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Ivermectin Has Little Effect on Recovery Time From Covid, Study Finds
A new clinical trial is the largest to date testing the antiparasitic drug on people with Covid.

June 12.2022

12virus-ivermectin1-superJumbo.jpg

Ivermectin is an inexpensive drug that has been safely used in people for decades against parasitic worm infections.Credit...

The antiparasite drug ivermectin does not meaningfully reduce the time needed to recover from Covid, according to a large study posted online Sunday. It is the largest of several clinical trials to show that the drug, popular since the early pandemic as an alternative treatment, is not effective against the virus.

The new trial, conducted by researchers at Duke University and Vanderbilt University, tested more than 1,500 people with Covid, about half getting the drug and the others a placebo. The study has not yet been published in a scientific journal.

“Given these results, there does not appear to be a role for ivermectin outside of a clinical trial setting, especially considering other available options with proven reduction in hospitalizations and death,” Dr. Adrian Hernandez, the executive director of the Duke Clinical Research Institute who led the trial, said in a statement on Sunday night.

In 2020, laboratory experiments on cells suggested that ivermectin might block the coronavirus. The results triggered widespread excitement because ivermectin is an inexpensive drug that has been safely used in people for decades against parasitic worm infections.

The drug grew wildly popular, despite a lack of results from large randomized clinical trials. When those studies finally finished, they proved disappointing. In March, researchers published a study in which 679 people diagnosed with Covid received ivermectin. The drug did not significantly reduce their risk of going to a hospital for Covid compared with people who took a placebo.
The new study of ivermectin was part of a larger effort, organized by the National Institutes of Health, to identify existing drugs that might help treat Covid. Known as Accelerating COVID-19 Therapeutic Interventions and Vaccines-6, or ACTIV-6 for short, the program has also been testing an antidepressant and an antiasthma drug.
Dr. Hernandez and his colleagues gave ivermectin to 877 volunteers who were diagnosed with Covid, while 774 others received a placebo. The researchers then observed how their cases progressed.
People on ivermectin felt unwell for an average of 10.96 days, while people on the placebo took 11.45 days — a difference of about 12 hours. There was no statistically significant difference in the risk each group faced of going to the hospital. One death was observed during the trial — of a volunteer who received ivermectin.

Almost half of the volunteers had been vaccinated, the researchers said. Their shots may have reduced the overall number of severe Covid cases, making it harder to detect a benefit.

Despite the negative results, the researchers did not entirely rule out the possibility that ivermectin might have a place in treating Covid. Among 90 people who were already suffering from severe Covid when they entered the trial, those who tried ivermectin appeared to fare better than did those on the placebo. But the small numbers made it impossible to draw any firm statistical conclusions about ivermectin’s benefit. The effect might have been the result of chance.
To investigate that result further, the researchers will keep testing ivermectin at higher doses. A new set of volunteers will receive 50 percent more of the drug in each dose and for six days instead of three.
“Given the favorable safety profile and continued public interest in ivermectin, the ACTIV-6 team will continue to study this higher dose to determine whether it will make enough of a difference to be considered for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19,” Dr. Susanna Naggie, an infectious disease expert at Duke University, said in the statement.
Correction:
June 12, 2022
A previous version of this article misstated ivermectin’s effect on Covid. It has no clinically meaningful effect on recovery time, not no effect.

Ivermectin Has Little Effect on Recovery Time From Covid, Study Finds - The New York Times (nytimes.com)