QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Ex-Bush Spokesman’s
Tantalizing Snippet on C.I.A. Leak​

The New York Times
By Mike Nizza
November 21, 2007

The hints of intrigue and betrayal at the trial of I. Lewis Libby Jr. over the leaking of a C.I.A. agent’s identity grew even more intriguing today as a snippet made the rounds from the forthcoming memoir by Scott McClellan, who was President Bush’s chief spokesperson in 2006.

In the 121 words released by the book’s publisher, PublicAffairs, Mr. McClellan appears to hold President Bush partially responsible for statements to the White House press corps in 2003 that later proved to be inaccurate — that Karl Rove, senior counselor to the president, and Mr. Libby, vice president’s chief of staff, never leaked the identity of the agent, Valerie Plame (emphasis added):

The most powerful leader in the world had called upon me to speak on his behalf and help restore credibility he lost amid the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. So I stood at the White house briefing room podium in front of the glare of the klieg lights for the better part of two weeks and publicly exonerated two of the senior-most aides in the White House: Karl Rove and Scooter Libby.

There was one problem. It was not true.

I had unknowingly passed along false information. And five of the highest ranking officials in the administration were involved in my doing so: Rove, Libby, the Vice President, the President’s chief of staff, and the President himself.

How exactly was the president involved? Did he take part in a cover-up? Will the next few sentences in the book explain the role of each official? Well, until more of the 400-page book is released, we are left with only a tantalizing bit of fodder for close watchers of the C.I.A.-leak story line to chew on.

If Mr. McClellan is the first senior administration official to implicate President Bush in the scandal, we’ll definitely know by April 2008, when the memoir is due to hit store shelves. But something tells The Lede that this won’t be the last little taste of the book that the publisher will, um, leak to the press.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/ex-bush-spokesmans-tantalizing-snippet-on-cia-leak/?hp

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

So, Scott McClellan is saying (1) he didn't tell the media the truth about who outted
Valerie Plame; and (2) that BUSH, ROVE, CHENEY and LIBBY somehow caused or allowed him (McClellan) to mislead the press/public.

The book is not due to be released until April 2008. But I have to wonder (1) whether Scott McClellan is about to roll over on his boys; or, (2) whether these little leaks are just misleading snippets to hype McClellan's book ???

nyyyyce

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you can bet this is pre-sale hype. IF he sticks to this story then its a good read. IF he begins to backpedal or say "the quote is taken out of context" you know its sales related. FN cowards and incompotents the lot of them.

Besides, everyone who is not retarded or strict a Republican KNOWS Bush knew. Intelligent people don't need this johnny-come-lately revelation.

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
its fake- its not in the book and they did it to drum up sales from what I hear

--------

Publisher Of McClellan Book: Scottie Won't Implicate Bush For Lying About Plamegate, After All
November 21, 2007 -- 1:35 PM EST // //
Oh, this is just lovely. The publisher of the forthcoming book by former White House flack Scott McClellan is now walking back the idea that the book will finger President Bush for knowingly misleading McClellan about Plamegate, saying that if Bush did mislead him, he didn't do so deliberately.

As you may have heard, yesterday the news broke that McClellen was set to publish new details about Plamegate, in which he suggested that he would reveal that he was misled by Bush himself about Karl Rove and Scooter Libby's role in outing Valerie Plame.

The book's publisher, Public Affairs, yesterday posted this tantalizing excerpt from the book on its site:

The most powerful leader in the world had called upon me to speak on his behalf and help restore credibility he lost amid the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. So I stood at the White house briefing room podium in front of the glare of the klieg lights for the better part of two weeks and publicly exonerated two of the senior-most aides in the White House: Karl Rove and Scooter Libby.

I had unknowingly passed along false information. And five of the highest ranking officials in the administration were involved in my doing so: Rove, Libby, the vice President, the President's chief of staff, and the President himself.

The suggestion here is very strong that McClellan was preparing to implicate Bush for knowingly misleading him about Plamegate in some way. Understandably, this was greeted as huge news, and generated a massive media firestorm.

But a day later, the publisher has now clarified in a new interview what the book is actually going to tell us about the President's role in this. Check out this little nugget buried in Bloomberg News' new piece on this whole affair:

McClellan doesn't suggest that Bush deliberately lied to him about Libby's and Rove's involvement in the leak, said Peter Osnos, founder and editor-in-chief of Public Affairs Books, which is publishing McClellan's memoir next year.

"He told him something that wasn't true, but the president didn't know it wasn't true," Osnos said in a telephone interview. "The president told him what he thought to be the case."

Sorry, suckers. It looks like McClellan will actually exonerate Bush for his role in Plamegate. But yesterday McClellan and his publisher posted a carefully selected excerpt designed to persuade everyone that he was going to implicate the President in it. Note the weaselly way the original statement says that Bush was "involved" in McClellan's misleading of the public.

It's very hard not to conclude that McClellan and his publisher deliberately played the media for chumps with the too-cute-by-half excerpt they posted yesterday. And it worked.

Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/horsesmouth/2007/11/publisher_of_mc.php

nyyyyce

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
its fake- its not in the book and they did it to drum up sales from what I hear

--------

Publisher Of McClellan Book: Scottie Won't Implicate Bush For Lying About Plamegate, After All
November 21, 2007 -- 1:35 PM EST // //
Oh, this is just lovely. The publisher of the forthcoming book by former White House flack Scott McClellan is now walking back the idea that the book will finger President Bush for knowingly misleading McClellan about Plamegate, saying that if Bush did mislead him, he didn't do so deliberately.

As you may have heard, yesterday the news broke that McClellen was set to publish new details about Plamegate, in which he suggested that he would reveal that he was misled by Bush himself about Karl Rove and Scooter Libby's role in outing Valerie Plame.

The book's publisher, Public Affairs, yesterday posted this tantalizing excerpt from the book on its site:

I had unknowingly passed along false information. And five of the highest ranking officials in the administration were involved in my doing so: Rove, Libby, the vice President, the President's chief of staff, and the President himself.

The suggestion here is very strong that McClellan was preparing to implicate Bush for knowingly misleading him about Plamegate in some way. Understandably, this was greeted as huge news, and generated a massive media firestorm.

But a day later, the publisher has now clarified in a new interview what the book is actually going to tell us about the President's role in this. Check out this little nugget buried in Bloomberg News' new piece on this whole affair:

McClellan doesn't suggest that Bush deliberately lied to him about Libby's and Rove's involvement in the leak, said Peter Osnos, founder and editor-in-chief of Public Affairs Books, which is publishing McClellan's memoir next year.

"He told him something that wasn't true, but the president didn't know it wasn't true," Osnos said in a telephone interview. "The president told him what he thought to be the case."

Sorry, suckers. It looks like McClellan will actually exonerate Bush for his role in Plamegate. But yesterday McClellan and his publisher posted a carefully selected excerpt designed to persuade everyone that he was going to implicate the President in it. Note the weaselly way the original statement says that Bush was "involved" in McClellan's misleading of the public.

It's very hard not to conclude that McClellan and his publisher deliberately played the media for chumps with the too-cute-by-half excerpt they posted yesterday. And it worked.

Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/horsesmouth/2007/11/publisher_of_mc.php
exactly. they all do it to get attention for the book - not to accuratly report historical truth. B*****s!!!!