Why is jumping over a broom not considered an official marriage?

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
Why do we let white people determine whether we are married or not?

Why does the white man get to decide that a chick in a white dress, a dude in a tux and a preacher = marriage? (Plus the marriage certificate)

Why do we let them decide that for us? Why when we decide to get married on our own terms is it not official?

I know we are American "citizens", but why do we let the slavemasters tell us what's official and what's not instead of determining that for ourselves??

Why do we not allow ourselves to determine our own officiality?

When I got married, we went to some fat ass cracka ass cracka judge from Roswell, GA married us, AND we had to pay this cac.

Never again.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
Why do we let white people determine whether we are married or not?

Why does the white man get to decide that a chick in a white dress, a dude in a tux and a preacher = marriage? (Plus the marriage certificate)

Why do we let them decide that for us? Why when we decide to get married on our own terms is it not official?

I know we are American "citizens", but why do we let the slavemasters tell us what's official and what's not instead of determining that for ourselves??

Why do we not allow ourselves to determine our own officiality?

When I got married, we went to some fat ass cracka ass cracka judge from Roswell, GA married us, AND we had to pay this cac.

Never again.
you can say you're married all you want in any type of event to do to make it happen.

but if you want to register with the state and get tax breaks and be formally recognized, you have to go to the courthouse and make it official

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
you can say you're married all you want in any type of event to do to make it happen.

but if you want to register with the state and get tax breaks and be formally recognized, you have to go to the courthouse and make it official

I get the tax benefits, but I also know that a marriage can go south and you lose way more than what you might have gained from tax benefits.

How is mixing love and business not a recipe for possible disaster?

I have a theory that certificate has a negative psychological effect on people that contributes to marriages failing anyway, in this current culture and climate.

And what does "formally recognized" mean?

Just because you love a person and they love you doesn't mean you will financially flourish together. So why set yourself up and find yourself in court arguing over money with someone that was supposed to be the love of your life? Why set yourself up to have to run to the cac system to resolve money issues between two African descendants of slaves?

It just feels like a setup. And many have been ruined in the end by having the government involved in your love life.

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
See, this is some ol monkey see, monkey do shit, rather than using your own brain to determine your own course, in my opinion. And this shit don't work for everybody the same way.

Like @woodchuck might be doing fine in marriage financially. More power to him. But we know damn well that getting married under this system can and has created a bigger mess than needed. But it was real because whitey signed the doc?

I'm saying, husband and wife can officiate each other and exercise real freedom rather than running to the slavemaster for approval, permission and supervision.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
I get the tax benefits, but I also know that a marriage can go south and you lose way more than what you might have gained from tax benefits.

How is mixing love and business not a recipe for possible disaster?

I have a theory that certificate has a negative psychological effect on people that contributes to marriages failing anyway, in this current culture and climate.

And what does "formally recognized" mean?

Just because you love a person and they love you doesn't mean you will financially flourish together. So why set yourself up and find yourself in court arguing over money with someone that was supposed to be the love of your life? Why set yourself up to have to run to the cac system to resolve money issues between two African descendants of slaves?

It just feels like a setup. And many have been ruined in the end by having the government involved in your love life.
well, don't file the paperwork. you can have any agreement amongst partners and make a contract. its your choice to file with the state.

TRUFICTION

SINCE 1998
BGOL Investor
Why can't you do the same with a will? And how does the Trust help?

Educate me, I'm your student right now.
Without going into specific details... A will states what a person wishesd to have happen upon death.
However depending on wh else is around a will is easily contestable.
Lets say you have a parent die and you have two other brothers, but in the will the parent leaves you all the assets
In some states the two other brothers can take you to court and make claims to 1/3 of the total assent.
If for some reason they can prove some sort of valid claim to that 3rd you will have to split it.
Thats just a very broad scenario... but its to make this point. ...

By the way, trust me ! ....
I have seen some crazy shit when people die and family starts to act a fool.
With a trust... a person can put assets into a trust or a blind trust, which basically places the property
or assets in their name prior to death so that when a person dies it automatically goes into their name no questions asked.
That can also be done without marriage.

I have a cousin who lost everything ... Twice in 3 years due to these kinds of problems and death.
First, her man who she had invested into a house with, living happily ever after for several years
Then he up and passed away.
His family put her out almost immeadiatly. She lost it all .....LEGALLY !
Her and her father bought a house together ... The father my uncle, then passed due to covid.
Her sister who she has been estranged from for years forced her to sell the house which had no equity
at all to try and get a cut of whatever the sale would bring....which was nothing. People are evil.

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
Without going into specific details... A will states what a person wishesd to have happen upon death.
However depending on wh else is around a will is easily contestable.
Lets say you have a parent die and you have two other brothers, but in the will the parent leaves you all the assets
In some states the two other brothers can take you to court and make claims to 1/3 of the total assent.
If for some reason they can prove some sort of valid claim to that 3rd you will have to split it.
Thats just a very broad scenario... but its to make this point. ...

By the way, trust me ! ....
I have seen some crazy shit when people die and family starts to act a fool.
With a trust... a person can put assets into a trust or a blind trust, which basically places the property
or assets in their name prior to death so that when a person dies it automatically goes into their name no questions asked.
That can also be done without marriage.

I have a cousin who lost everything ... Twice in 3 years due to these kinds of problems and death.
First, her man who she had invested into a house with, living happily ever after for several years
Then he up and passed away.
His family put her out almost immeadiatly. She lost it all .....LEGALLY !
Her and her father bought a house together ... The father my uncle, then passed due to covid.
Her sister who she has been estranged from for years forced her to sell the house which had no equity
at all to try and get a cut of whatever the sale would bring....which was nothing. People are evil.

Thanks bro, that's a good breakdown

And goddamn on your cousin, man that's fucked all the way up!!

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
I was married in Jamaica and have a marriage certificate from there. It is legal and recognized in the US.