TV News: Squid Game THE CHALLENGE creator addresses Netflix's reality show spin-off: 'I know there are some concerns' UPDATE: LAWSUITS!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Squid Game creator addresses Netflix's reality show spin-off: 'I know there are some concerns'

Director Hwang Dong-hyuk said after his Emmy win that he recently met with the creator of Squid Game: The Challenge to discuss the project.

By Sydney BucksbaumSeptember 13, 2022 at 07:45 PM EDT

When Netflix announced that a Squid Game reality competition spin-off was in development, fans of the hit Korean survival drama were rightfully taken aback. The original series explored how capitalism and greed can destroy lives, and yet here the streamer was giving the green light to a real-life version that will have 456 players compete for a massive cash prize, seeming to completely miss the point of the show.
On Monday night, Squid Game creator Hwang Dong-hyuk got a chance to weigh in on the spin-off after he won the Emmy for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series. Backstage in the press room, he was asked about Squid Game: The Challenge, and so far he's not sweating it.
"Yes, I am aware of the reality show being created," Hwang said. "I actually met with the creator yesterday, and they had many questions for me. What I hope is that they will be carrying on my vision and intention as much as possible for the show."

Series creator Hwang Dong-hyuk on the set of 'Squid Game'

| CREDIT: NOH JUHAN/NETFLIX
While Hwang is optimistic about the spin-off, he also understands why fans were worried. "I think that even though our show does carry quite a heavy message, and I know there are some concerns of taking that message and creating it into a reality show with a cash prize, however I feel like whenever you take things too seriously, that's really not the best way to go for the entertainment industry," he told the room of reporters. "Doesn't really set a great precedent. So I would say that reproductions of such efforts are going to bring new meaning to the industry, and I hope that this is going to be a great new direction for the industry overall."
Squid Game: The Challenge is a 10-episode series being filmed in the U.K. English-language speakers from around the world were invited to apply for their shot at winning $4.56 million. But rest assured, the stakes won't be quite as deadly as the real Squid Game… at least, we hope not.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Chicago Sun Times Mobile Logo
Menu

Show Search

STARTING OVER ENTERTAINMENT AND CULTURE COMMENTARY

Mai Whelan, ‘Squid Game: The Challenge’ winner, is a real hero​

Whelan overcame 455 competitors, most younger than her 55 years, to take home the multimillion-dollar prize.​

By Mary Mitchell

Dec 15, 2023, 1:32pm EST

Mai Whelan stands in front of a “Squid Game: The Challenge”-branded backdrop

Mai Whelan, the winner of Netflix’s first season of “Squid Game: The Challenge.”
CJ Rivera/AP Photo

I couldn’t get enough of watching Mai Whelan, the winner of Netflix's $4.56 million competition "Squid Game: The Challenge."
The 55-year-old beat 455 contestants salivating over the pot of gold and crushed ageism and other stereotypes that often stand in the way of achieving dreams.
Known as Player 287, Whelan surprised contestants with strategic moves they didn't see coming in the competition of a variety of games.

In the final challenge — a surprising game of "rock, paper, scissors" — her opponent described Whelan as "full of fire, fierce, competent, strong, smart and easy to underestimate."
Those are attributes Whelan wanted the world, especially women around her age, to see.
"They're so resistant to challenge, or they're so hesitant to live their life fully because of the — you know — the concept of you're a woman, you're an Asian, and you are old and all that," she said in an interview on Netflix's "Tudum,” the streaming service's fandom website, after she was revealed as the winner of the record-setting prize money for reality shows.
"I say you can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it,” Whelan said. “I want to show the women out there to take charge of your life and take risks. Life is about risks, and you never know what's on the other side if you don't.”

RELATED
In an interview aired during the competition, Whelan became emotional discussing how her family ostracized her when she became a single parent at 19. Whelan said she was told she was "not going to make it in life."
"It was hard,” she said, tearfully. “I was by myself. I didn't know anything about motherhood.”
But those harsh words helped her plow through adversity to reach her life-changing moment.
"I am so glad that I'm a woman, I'm a minority and able to overcome everything at my age, so I'm putting it out there: Don't be afraid. Be who you are, and plow through," she said in the Netflix interview.

“Squid Game: The Challenge” was Netflix's most-watched show, with an estimated 31.5 million viewers during nine episodes.
While the eye-popping amount of money was obviously a draw for contestants, the personal challenges some competitors shared hooked me.
Contestants represented a demographic that closely match the world's population. Just about everyone, including a player with a hearing disability, was represented.
The tight alliances brought together people of different races, genders, ages and sexual orientations. The bonds were so strong that players sobbed when their allies were eliminated.

People from different backgrounds ate together, slept together, showered together and shared the same dream of winning money that would change their lives without breaching the peace.
Whelan pointed to empathy's role in keeping her focused on listening to her inner voice throughout the competition.
That empathy was fully displayed when she stood beside her final opponent, Phill Cain, a 27-year-old she was sure she could beat, and quietly recited "The Lord's Prayer.”
Unlike lottery winners who become multimillionaires overnight because they picked the winning numbers, the "Squid Game" players had to have street smarts — and what some of us call blessings and others call luck — to avoid elimination.

Despite what others thought about her, Whelan believed in herself and showed millions what it takes to win in the game of life.

ProfilesEngineServlet

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Last edited: