TV: HBO executive takes the blame for True Detective 2nd season failure UPDATE! 4rd Season w/ Jodie Foster!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
HBO executive takes the blame for True Detective's second season failure

To say that True Detective's second season didn't live up to the phenomenon set by its first would be an understatement.

Critics and audiences alike called out the show for its lack of focus, bland characters and directionless build. Unfortunately for creator Nic Pizzolatto, the blame inevitably fell on him.

In a recent interview with The Frame, however, HBO president of programming Michael Lombardo said he took full responsibility for True Detective's shortcomings. He said that while he didn't know if he'd consider the second season to be a direct failure, he regretted pushing Pizzolatto to write something of that caliber too quickly instead of letting the writer figure out the story on his own time.

"When we tell someone to hit an air date as opposed to allowing the writing to find its own natural resting place, when it's ready, when it's baked — we've failed," Lombardo said. "And I think in this particular case, the first season of True Detective was something that Nic Pizzolatto had been thinking about, gestating, for a long period of time."

Lombardo added that he had become too much of a network executive at that point and had allowed the fact that the show was a hit to cloud his judgment.

Still, Lombardo said he took the entire ordeal as a learning experience and won't start green lighting shows until he's seen the script, despite the massive success and following the series may have. Although, it seems highly unlikely he wouldn't approve of a seventh season for a show like Game of Thrones without seeing the script.

There is currently no word on whether True Detective will return for a third season, but Pizzolatto has signed an exclusive contract with HBO to produce and create other content. From the sound of it, True Detective may continue at the network, especially with Lombardo's support behind it, but it won't be until Pizzolatto finishes writing the script on his own time.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Man,

I don't get it. I thought season 2 was good! What's all the fuss about?
Didnt watch but its one of the only shows where everyone across the board generally hated it. You're the only guy ive heard who said it was actually good.

Every said it flat out stunk and was frustrating to watch.

No surprise greed is the culprit.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Didnt watch but its one of the only shows where everyone across the board generally hated it. You're the only guy ive heard who said it was actually good.

Interestingly, You should comb through the discussion thread for season #2 on the board. Based on the excitement and craziness and anticipation for the next episode that we all talked about. You'd be hard press to reached a conclusion that the majority of the board spared one poster hated it.

There were elements about it that I enjoyed more than season one. But, ultimately I don't think it was that big of a drop off. Honestly, I'm excited just like everyone else that "hates" it for season 3 and I do hope they cast Idris Elba!

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Interestingly, You should comb through the discussion thread for season #2 on the board. Based on the excitement and craziness and anticipation for the next episode that we all talked about. You'd be hard press to reached a conclusion that the majority of the board spared one poster hated it.

There were elements about it that I enjoyed more than season one. But, ultimately I don't think it was that big of a drop off. Honestly, I'm excited just like everyone else that "hates" it for season 3 and I do hope they cast Idris Elba!
Ok. I never visited the thread. I may check it out, but all the feedback ive seen/heard/read has been pretty negative. I found it surprising considering how everyone seemed to really like the first season.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
yeah sure, its all his fault, but they promise the next season will be better so we all need to tune in. Michael Bay says this about all the transformers movies.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok. I never visited the thread. I may check it out, but all the feedback ive seen/heard/read has been pretty negative. I found it surprising considering how everyone seemed to really like the first season.

And I quote

No lie this shit is good, the last season that is.

its going to take a minute for this to grow on me. But I like where this is headed. The Colin Farell character is nuts! "Someone actually named their kid Aspen?!?"

Excellent start to the season... did not disappoint one bit.

colin is going to kill this season

very good episode

i'm wondering whats up with vaughs character

I'm in for season 2 so far.

And I quote half-way through season 2

How can anybody not like this show? Shit is so dope to me.
This is how you develop.characters...show not tell. They don't need philosophical bS to be interesting. Clearly established motivations tonight. If they don't botch it this could end up being more satisfying last 3 episodes than season 1.

And I quote last part of season 2

This shit was so fucking hard!

shit was grim from the start to the end...good season

Now the above isn't to suggest people weren't bitch'in and complaining throughout. But find me one show on this board that everyone likes universally.

Kubrick

Rising Star
OG Investor
Pretty bad? I don't agree with that. It was different and from what i know that's the point of the show. It's a different kind of style every season and I like that theme.

I said compared to the first season it was pretty bad. The characters in Season 1 were better and the mystery was more intriguing. There were somethings I liked about the second season, however.

mexico

Rising Star
Registered
Man,

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I loved the second season. Stellar cast. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed Vince Vaughn in anything. Then i get online and the show was trashed like it was the worst thing on TV.

Maybe because I didn't compare it to the first season I was able to enjoy it so.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
I watched 1 or 2 episodes but forgot about the show after that. That's how much of an impact the second season had on me.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought it was decent; although after a pretty strong start, it kind of meander a bit in the middle. Not sure Vince Vaughn was right for his part... he didn't do horrible, but he's too much of a comedic actor for me to take completely serious as a gangster, kickin the shit out of people (season 1 casting was fucking perfect). ....but if the show would have aired without having to come right after season 1 and without fanfare, I don't think it would be seen as a failure. Would like to see season 3.

Man,

untouchable212

International
International Member
Watch Season two of Fargo to know how you actually make an improvement on a tv show, season two definitely went backwards in terms of quality in every aspect.

ShortyCumStain

Rising Star
OG Investor
It sucked. I only watched it because I felt obligated to. Season 1 is/was some of da best TV I've ever seen. I want them to revisit it.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That was a good shootout. ....you should watch the episode from season 1 where the Mcconaughey's character and the biker guy went into the projects and had to escape when everything went to shit. 6 or 7 minutes... one camera; one shot.... damn that was the shit.

shit... wanted to post the youtube link here, but they only allow it to be watched on youtube... not hot linked. ....so click the "watch on youtube" link that pops up when the video clip below fails:

Didn't watch the 1st season so I had nothing to compare it to. I enjoyed the fuck out of the 2nd season. The shootout in the parking lot with cops dying left and right was a thing of beauty. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

ShortyCumStain

Rising Star
OG Investor
That was a good shootout. ....you should watch the episode from season 1 where the Mcconaughey's character and the biker guy went into the projects and had to escape when everything went to shit. 6 or 7 minutes... one camera; one shot.... damn that was the shit.

shit... wanted to post the youtube link here, but they only allow it to be watched on youtube... not hot linked. ....so click the "watch on youtube" link that pops up when the video clip below fails:

My favorite episode or scene from season 1. That shit went concrete hard.

Last edited:

EGO-TRIP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i thought season 2 was fantastic ! gritty, raw ,unfocused, messy.......sorta like real life situations .no matter the mess of your personal life an opportunity comes along that makes you take an account of the type of person you really are, if you will really allow some vile bastards to get away with something you know will bother you the rest of your life, or cause you to die.......thats a question you really cant answer until you have been thrust into that position.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Didn't watch the 1st season so I had nothing to compare it to. I enjoyed the fuck out of the 2nd season. The shootout in the parking lot with cops dying left and right was a thing of beauty. That alone was worth the price of admission.

You have a dark soul brother! It's was crazy and I wouldn't post that here considering it's a big spoiler for those not up to speed.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The first season had that cult theme and Matt McConaughey destroyed as a beaten down dedicated detective. He looked like shit as the show progressed and that kept me interested.

ShortyCumStain

Rising Star
OG Investor
I agree to a degree, but plenty of shows like Fargo, Breaking Bad and Sopranos...continued to ascend

It's almost like they thought it was going to be one and done and didn't even think about a season two until the last minute.

I can agree with this.

coolie569

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

DAMN!! :eek2::eek2: You got me on the hunt for the 1st season now. Wow!!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
We Probably Won’t Have True Detective to Kick Around Anymore (But We’ll Still Have Nic Pizzolatto)

Were you wondering what sort of manly men would get into dark and twisted trouble in the third season of True Detective? If so, we've got bad news for you: According to aTHR profile of new HBO programming head Casey Bloys, a third season of the crime anthology series is probably not on the menu. More likely, sources say, is a different series from creator Nic Pizzolatto, who signed an exclusive deal with HBO last fall. The news is not incredibly surprising — even at the height of True D mania, Pizzolatto said he couldn't imagine making more than three seasons of the show. There's no word on what Pizzolatto's other ideas could be, but knowing what happened in season two, a Hollywood satire is probably out of the question.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Welp, somebody had to take one for that crap. Season two was dreadful. Especially compared to season one. The only reason I watched it was because I kept thinking it has got to get better, but it never did. It never did.