Trump, and that F*cking Wall

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Trump Said This Wall Can’t Be Climbed. Professional Climbers Say He’s Full of Sh*t

190920-bixby-climbing-wall-tease_qg3nwp

The Daily Beast
Scott Bixby
National Reporter
September 21, 2019

Years after it was first promised and at a cost of more than $10 million per linear mile, President Donald Trump is confident that his newest stretch of a strengthened barrier along the U.S. southern border is “virtually impenetrable.”

How confident? Enough to have its scalability tested by the world’s greatest rock climbers, he told reporters on Wednesday.

“We have, I guess you could say, world-class mountain climbers. We got climbers,” Trump said beside a newly finished section of the barrier in Otay Mesa, California, which tops heights of 30 feet. “We had 20 mountain climbers. That’s all they do—they love to climb mountains. They can have it. Me, I don’t want to climb mountains. But they’re very good, and some of them were champions. And we gave them different prototypes of walls, and this was the one that was hardest to climb.”

The climber test, Trump boasted, is proof that “this wall can’t be climbed.”

The problem? The country’s top climbers have no idea what the hell Trump is talking about.

“I have never heard of any climbers ever being recruited to try and climb a border wall,” said Jesse Grupper, who won the gold medal in the men’s sport lead category of this year’s USA Climbing Sport & Speed Open National Championships.

“I absolutely have not heard of anyone testing sections of border wall,” said Kyra Condie, who currently ranks second among the nation’s women boulderers and is considered a serious contender for the U.S. team when the sport makes its Olympic debut in Tokyo next year. “It would even be hard to find any of us willing to do anything to help Trump and his efforts in any way.”

“Definitely no well-recognized U.S. climbers have taken part in something like that,” said Ross Fulkerson, a seven-time member of the U.S. national team who is currently ranked third in the country. “I haven’t heard of any climbers ever helping out with testing.”

Speaking to the nation’s top-ranked climbing athletes, past climbing and bouldering champions, and sports associations, The Daily Beast sought clues to the identity of any climber who might have participated in such a test. Not a single person in the tight-knit community of world-class climbers had heard a single word about any border wall experiment.

“We live in strange times,” said Marc Norman, CEO of USA Climbing, the sport’s national governing body. “I am not aware of any of our athletes being contracted to do such work. Ironically, I have heard rumors of climbers being contracted by zoos to test animal enclosures, but that is about all.”

Spokespeople and executives at the country’s oldest and largest climbing and mountaineering groups, including the American Alpine Club, Mazamas, the Appalachian Mountain Club, and the Alpine Institute, were similarly at a loss.

“Walls continue to activate the basic human sense for adventure and freedom to explore,” said Phil Powers, CEO of the American Alpine Club, who was in the nation’s capital this week with 60 of the sport’s top athletes to advocate for action on climate change. “I am not aware of any climbers who have been hired to test walls. I would think if any of our very best had done so, we would know.”

Many in the climbing community expressed skepticism that athletes who practice a sport defined by conquering seemingly insurmountable obstacles would participate in the construction of a barrier intended to keep people out of the country—particularly the sport’s most promising athletes, almost all of whom are in their teens or early twenties.

“I have absolutely never heard of such a test as Trump seems to be talking about,” said Arlin Weinberger with the Alpine Club. “I also think it might be difficult to find mountain-climbing types willing to test the detestable border wall.”

Grupper, the nation’s reigning male sport-climbing champion, told The Daily Beast that the ethos of the sport is “too focused on inclusion for a climber to agree to such a request,” even from a sitting president.

Still, some admitted a willingness to try climbing the wall, if only out of curiosity.

“I would like to see how it looks and try myself—why not?” offered Alexey Rubtsov, a former world champion boulderer who won the bronze medal at U.S. nationals in 2017.

“I suspect that this would be an interesting experiment,” said Kai Lightner, who was considered a top contender for the U.S. Olympic team before he took a hiatus from competitive climbing to focus on his college work.

But others said that such a test would be tedious for climbers who enjoy tackling the most challenging routes.

“If it’s the slat wall behind him when he made the comment, it looks like it would be easy for a professional rock climber to get up and over,” said Mitsu Iwasaki, executive director of mountaineering organization Mazamas.

“Mountain climbers climb 2,000-foot cliffs, not 20-foot artificial barriers,” said Grupper. “Also, most climbers try and only use their hands, so they wouldn’t be the best people to ask to climb an artificial border that one could use tools to ascend—maybe a construction worker would be better.”

Fulkerson posited that Trump might have confused rock climbers and boulderers, who largely rely on their hands and feet, with mountain climbers, who use technical equipment to navigate mountainous terrain. A rock climber’s skills, honed by scaling training walls via plastic holds bolted onto them, “would transfer extremely well to trying to get over a border wall,” he said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump...mbers-say-hes-full-of-sht?ref=scroll?ref=home

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
New York Times:

Trump suggested shooting migrants in the legs

October 1, 2019

President Donald Trump suggested shooting migrants in the legs in order to slow them down after they crossed the southern border during a March meeting in which he called for a shut down of the entire US-Mexico border, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Citing interviews with more than a dozen White House and administration officials directly involved, the Times -- in an excerpt from the book "Border Wars: Inside Trump's Assault on Immigration" -- reported that Trump had moved on from the idea by the end of what theTimes described as a "frenzied week of presidential rages."But he had also pivoted to removing staff who had opposed him, an idea largely advocated by White House aide Stephen Miller in his push for greater influence on immigration policy. CNN has reached out to the White House for comment on the report.

The meeting included Miller, then-Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, then-Customs and Border Protection chief Kevin McAleenan, acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, presidential adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner and other senior staff, according to the paper.

"You are making me look like an idiot!" Trump shouted during the meeting, adding in a profanity, multiple officials in the room told the Times. "I ran on this. It's my issue.''

Nielsen tried to reason with Trump, explaining that closing the border would not bar migrants from applying for asylum, but he remained steadfast, according to the Times.

Kushner also tried to reason with the President.

"All you care about is your friends in Mexico," the President responded, people in the room told the Times. "I've had it. I want it done at noon tomorrow."

White House advisers persuaded Trump to extend the deadline to the following Friday, pushing Mexican officials to apprehend more migrants and urging Republican lawmakers and Chamber of Commerce officials to convey to Trump the negative repercussions of closing the border, the Times reported. Kushner and other West Wing officials emailed Trump about Mexico's increased apprehensions of migrants before they could reach the US, according to the paper.

Miller told Trump that advisers continually citing legal constraints, such as Nielsen, were part of the problem and that the administration should instead focus on rejecting migrants at the border, The Times reported.

By the middle of the week, Trump appeared to have abandoned the idea and floated to Nielsen the option of imposing tariffs, the paper reported. The Times reported that it was later that week that Trump offered McAleenan a pardon if he were sent to jail for having border agents block asylum seekers from entering the US in defiance of US law.

"The President was frustrated and I think he took that moment to hit the reset button," then-acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement Thomas Homan told the Times of that week in March. "The President wanted it to be fixed quickly.''

©

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
TRUMP'S WALL

Trump's wall-building now involves blowing up mountains in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

4:55 a.m.
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
John Moore/Getty Images

The section of President Trump's border wall being built through Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in Arizona's Sonoran Desert has been controversial from the start. The national monument, established in 1937 and named a UNESCO International Biosphere Reserve in 1976, is not only a fragile ecological gem but also an area with deep spiritual and cultural importance to several Native American groups and dozens of unexplored ancient archeological sites. Homeland Security Department (DHS) contractors recently started blowing apart a mountain in the national monument to facilitate border wall construction, The Intercept reports.

"The construction contractor has begun controlled blasting, in preparation for new border wall system construction, within the Roosevelt Reservation at Monument Mountain in the U.S. Border Patrol's Tucson Sector," Customs and Border Protection told The Intercept in a statement. The blasting "will continue intermittently for the rest of the month," CBP added, and there will be "an environmental monitor present during these activities as well as on-going clearing activities."

Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.), who visited the area last month, said he has zero faith the government's "environmental monitor will do anything to avoid, mitigate, or even point out some of the sacrilegious things that are occurring and will continue to occur, given the way they're proceeding." Contractors are already draining water from a rare desert spring to mix concrete, and they have sliced up and bulldozed iconic saguaro cacti and inadvertently uncovered possible burial sites, The Intercept reports.

To rush through his border wall, Trump has leaned heavily on a post-9/11 law that gives DHS broad powers to waive all sorts of laws, including the Environmental Protection Act to the Endangered Species Act, The Interceptsays.

"A historically significant area is going to be changed irreparably," Grijalva lamented. "You're never going to be able to put it back together." Peter Weber

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
What will become of Trump's border wall?

The Week Staff
December 13, 2020

President Trump.

SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images
December 13, 2020

In its final weeks, the administration is rushing to complete more of its signature border barriers. How much got built? Here's everything you need to know:

How long is the wall today?
President Trump inherited 654 miles of border structure along America's 1,900-mile border with Mexico. Over four years, he's constructed 415 miles, although of that total, only about 25 miles cover areas that had no previous barriers. The rest replaced or reinforced existing structures. In the most heavily fortified places, the barrier consists of two walls of concrete and steel bollards up to 30 feet high separated by a paved road. In recent months, the pace of work has surged. Right now, 11 private contractors under the auspices of the Army Corps of Engineers are working around the clock to add at least 50 miles of wall in California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona before Trump leaves office. To maintain the pace, the administration has waived dozens of regulations regarding endangered species and Native American burial sites. Portions of once protected saguaro cactus forests have been cleared, and communities' access to the Rio Grande and canals has been cut off. In Arizona's Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, crews were blasting in a mountainous area known as the final resting place of Apache warriors who died in battle. "The heartbreaking thing is we're watching them detonate these areas that will never be finished," says Laiken Jordahl of the nonprofit Center for Biological Diversity in Arizona. He calls it "a true desecration of indigenous land."

Trump started his 2015 campaign with a promise to build "a big, beautiful wall" on the 2,000-mile-long border with Mexico and make Mexico foot the bill. The idea ascended to mythical status among his supporters, becoming a totem for nearly everything that he stood for: "America First," reduced immigration, closed borders. When Trump leaves office, he believes, the wall he did succeed in building will stand as a monument to his presidency — a kind of anti–Statue of Liberty.

What will Biden do?
President-elect Joe Biden has said "there will not be another foot of wall constructed in my administration," although he's indicated that he has no plans to tear down what's been built already.

Biden has said he prefers "smart" border security achieved by installing surveillance systems, sensors, and lighting, rather than barriers. Nonetheless, the Trump administration continues to clear land for wall that may never be built. Some of the most invasive construction is now being conducted in New Mexico's remote Guadalupe Canyon, 30 miles from the nearest town of Douglas, as blasting crews carve a path through the rock. The area, according to a World Wildlife Fund report, includes some of the "most endangered and critical habitats in North America." Diana Hadley, whose family farm encompasses much of the canyon, called the construction "heartbreaking," and also "totally pointless" because so few migrants cross in the area.

Does the wall work?
Trump says the wall is "virtually impenetrable." But
The Washington Post has documented that drug smugglers and migrants have been sawing through the bollards in minutes with a $100 household reciprocating saw. Some migrants have used ladders or simply shimmy up over the top of the wall. Massive drug trafficking continues, with much of it coming across the border hidden in trucks carrying commercial cargo. Mark Morgan, the acting commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, said, however, that the wall has succeeded in squeezing illegal immigration into more easily patrolled bottlenecks. Halting construction, he said, would have a "dramatic negative impact." Border arrests have recently spiked to nearly 100,000 a month — far higher than at any point during the Obama administration. Local officials in Douglas say the wall has made the town safer. "We'd reached the saturation point of finding illegal aliens in our back alleys," said Donald Huish, Douglas' Republican mayor. "Now that situation has changed."

How much did the new wall cost?
The administration has spent more than $8 billion of the $15 billion allocated so far, making the wall one of the largest infrastructure projects in American history. Only $4.5 billion was actually authorized by Congress, with the rest seized from Pentagon construction and counternarcotics funding and the Treasury Forfeiture Fund. This has sparked lawsuits arguing that Trump trampled upon Congress' power of the purse; the Supreme Court has allowed construction to continue until it hears arguments in the case. The administration has also filed 144 lawsuits against landowners whose property is crucial to building the wall. So far, the government has seized 285 acres using eminent domain, paying between $1,440 and $870,261 per acre. Richard Drawe ceded part of his Progreso, Texas, homestead to the government rather than face the Justice Department in court. Now the steel bollards stretch along his property in an area that once offered stunning views of sunsets and a lake that's home to cranes and roseate spoonbills. "I'm used to living out in the open," he said, "no fences, doing what I want to do. I don't want to see a damn wall when I step out the door."

President Trump continued to insist right up to the election that Mexico was indeed paying for the wall. "Mexico is paying," he recently said at a campaign rally in Sanford, Fla. "They hate to hear that," he reiterated in Johnstown, Pa. "But they're paying." He has also falsely claimed that a tax on money that immigrants send to their native countries is financing the wall, as well as a tax on cars and trucks crossing the border. These new taxes do not exist. On other occasions, he has claimed that the U.S-Mexico-Canada trade agreement, or USMCA, clawed back money from Mexico to pay for the wall. The White House has even published a position paper on all the ways that Mexico would be made to pay. None of that is true, said Tony Payan, director of the Center for the United States and Mexico at Rice University. "It is, so far, all American taxpayers' money," Payan said.

This article was first published in the latest issue of The Week magazine. If you want to read more like it, you can try six risk-free issues of the magazine here.