Time Inc shows off magazine tablet

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/ntyXvLnxyXk&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/FLASH]

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
people aren't gonna start buying magazines again just because they are digital, why pay for info you can find on blogs or forums for free

JD Walker

Star
Registered
people aren't gonna start buying magazines again just because they are digital, why pay for info you can find on blogs or forums for free

You notice that these print companies (newspapers, magazines) can't seem to get it right and continue to insist on being oblivious to the 21st Century.

Cheap "digital paper" would make more sense.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
You notice that these print companies (newspapers, magazines) can't seem to get it right and continue to insist on being oblivious to the 21st Century.

Cheap "digital paper" would make more sense.
i use to go to borders every week to read the magazines, but since i discovered blogs I didn't have to go anymore or wait another month for a magazine issue, because I was getting my info the minute it happened

Rembrandt

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
because a lot of blogs are not professionally written articles and there is a difference. Believe me you will pay for articles again in the future. and everyone cannot do it for free because bloggers who have other jobs cannot dedicate themselves to professional journalism.

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor
People will pay but it all depends on how easy it is for the end user to get the content.

I could see Apple or even Amazon coming out with a subscription based service for your favorite newspaper.

They would have to drop the price down to something that people will pay without regretting it right after purchase though.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
because a lot of blogs are not professionally written articles and there is a difference. Believe me you will pay for articles again in the future. and everyone cannot do it for free because bloggers who have other jobs cannot dedicate themselves to professional journalism.
hmm you forget that good high traffic blogs with professional writers make alot of money off ad income

Grimes

Star
Registered

you'd like to think so... and i would too. but we'll see. it may just happen that people get used to lower quality writing and less investigative journalism. we're lazy animals. we like easy and especially free.

JD Walker

Star
Registered

I agree, but this dedicated "tablet" is not the way to go, unless it comes free with a subscription, and right now they can't produce these tablet cheaply and reliable. What if they break?

electronic paper already exists: http://www.e-ink.com/technology/index.html

Give me one of those FREE with a yearly subscription of content and I'd be down.

Rembrandt

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yeah this tablet isn't the way to go but it's an attempt for them to leverage their creative properties. The popular blogs will be just like magazines then and the internet ad revenue still isn't as much as the cost for print and if you stamp a Time logo on your content you have instant credibility that the brand has built over years. The majority of blogs still don't have the quality of writing that your best papers used to have.

Gadgetman

Support BGOL
Registered
Hmmm you buy one tablet then pay for each subscription?

I think non computer people would love this, easy point and click, I also think that we really should stop wasting paper (we need as many trees as possibly) so all for paperless media methods.

Is this the way to go? Not really sure..... but is a step in the right direction. :yes: