timberwolves fire sale!

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
DAMN! did the celtics just get raped?

Updated: Jan. 26, 2006, 10:31 PM ET

Szczerbiak, Davis change teams in seven-player trade

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics acquired Wally Szczerbiak and Michael Olowokandi from the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday night in a multiplayer deal that sent Ricky Davis and three other players to Minnesota.

Davis, Mark Blount, Marcus Banks, Justin Reed and two conditional second-round draft picks are going to the slumping Timberwolves. The Celtics also get Dwayne Jones and a future first-round draft pick, Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said.

"We are ecstatic to acquire a player of Wally Szczerbiak's quality to complement Paul Pierce and our young talent base," Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a statement.

"In Wally, we are receiving an All-Star player who is playoff tested and who has been a winner at all levels. We wish Ricky, Mark, Marcus, and Justin continued success in Minnesota."

The Boston Herald and TNT first reported the trade Thursday night.

Davis was the Celtics' second leading scorer at 19.7 behind Paul Pierce, while Szczerbiak is averaging 20.1 points for the Timberwolves.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
cleaning house...

Updated: Jan. 26, 2006, 7:17 PM ET
Minnesota gets second-round pick for Tskitishvili

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns gave up a second-round draft pick to acquire 7-footer Nikoloz Tskitishvili on Thursday.

Minnesota had the rights to Tskitishvili and received the Suns' second pick in next year's draft.

The move reunites Tskitishvili with Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, who coached him with Benetton Treviso of the Italian league in 2001-02.

"If there is an ideal coach and ideal system for Skita to do well, it's here in Phoenix," Suns president Bryan Colangelo said.

Tskitishvili has averaged 3.0 points, 1.8 rebounds and 11.6 minutes in 160 NBA games with Denver, Golden State and Minnesota, where he got into just five games last season.

He appeared in 35 games with the Nuggets and Warriors, who acquired him and Rodney White in a trade with Denver on Feb. 24, giving up Eduardo Najera, Luis Flores and a 2007 draft pick.

Tskitishvili, 22, had two professional seasons with KK Slovan of Slovenia under his belt when he played 11 games for Benetton as an 18-year-old Italian league rookie.

He averaged only 6.6 points but made 73 percent of his 2-point field goal attempts, prompting the Nuggets to draft him No. 5 in the June 2002 draft which also produced Amare Stoudemire, the Suns' first pick at No. 9.

Tskitishvili signed as a free agent with the Timberwolves on Aug. 9.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
The success of this trade for Minnesota will depend on the coach
Will he continue to try to play the plodding, grind it our style with
Davis (and KG) in his lineup?? I don't think Ricky is gonna be
utilized properly in that style. Blount is a terrible rebounder, but
can score, while KG is not much of a low post player, but is one
of the best in the paint, so their assets may compliment each other.

Ex-Celtic Danny Ainge makes a trade with Ex-Celtic Kevin McHale
Ex-Celtic Larry Bird made his trade yesterday

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
charles barkley and kenny smith ridiculed this trade last night... charley rosen seems to favor the timberwolves on this deal...

All things considered, T-Wolves win this one
Charley Rosen / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

Interesting, isn't it, how both teams involved in a major trade will insist that they've gotten the longer end of the stick? What we have in the Boston-Minnesota deal, however, is more an instance of two disappointing teams being forced to do something — anything — to demonstrate that their policy-makers (Danny Ainge for the Celts, and Kevin McHale for the Timberwolves) are earning their paychecks.

Let's take a close look, then, at what this "busyness business" has indeed produced for each team.

Minnesota

The main problem with Mark Blount has been his failure to approach the outer limits of his potential. He's long, lean, athletic, and can run the floor extremely well for a 7-footer. At his best, he's an aggressive-hustle type of player, especially on defense where he can block shots and is always in an appropriate help position. He's a better offensive than defensive rebounder, primarily because at only 250 pounds he gets pushed around at one end while his slender physique and quick feet enable him to slip into open lanes on the other end. His main weapons on offense are an elbow jumper, a right-handed jump hook, and a turn-around-jumper over his right shoulder. With the Celtics, however, he rarely got enough touches to develop a comfort zone on offense.

Finesse is his game. Period. He's certainly an upgrade over Michael Olowokandi, but leaves the T-Wolves bereft of any power in the middle.

Ricky Davis has all the talent he needs to be an outstanding player in every aspect of the game. He can drive, pull, and finish. He can also rebound, and play both pressure and passing-lane defense. His only weaknesses are his erratic outside shooting, his self-serving determination to get his numbers, his occasional disinterest in the proceedings, and a decided penchant for driving right. If Davis was uncomfortable playing second-fiddle to Paul Pierce, his discomfort is bound to get worse playing in the shadow of Kevin Garnett.

Will Dwayne Casey (and KG) be able to motivate Davis to play hard, smart, and unselfishly beyond the inevitable honeymoon period? If they can, Davis may still bloom into an all-around transcendent player.

Marcus Banks is super-quick, often too quick for his own good. He wants to push the ball on nearly every possession, and is even determined to force penetration in half-court sets. Overall, Banks' up-tempo mindset results in his being out of control more often than not.

While his jumper is streaky, Banks does have legit 3-point range if he can set his feet. On defense, Banks pressures the ball adroitly, but quickly loses his concentration when playing off-the-ball.

Justin Reed is another high-potential athlete who's still learning how to play.

For sure, the T-Wolves made a quantum jump in team athleticism. Whereas they needed to run multiple screens and well-choreographed plays to generate makeable shots for Wally Szczerbiak, they can now open up their offense and run more. This translates into an increase in fastbreak opportunities, and a quick-hitting early offense. Without having to constantly bend their defense to protect Szczerbiak, the Wolves have also gained at least the possibility of playing defense that is much more alert and quicker to rotate. With Eddie Griffin and Blount, Minnesota now has a pair of bona fide shot-blocking bigs.

Boston
Szczerbiak is big and strong — and Stephon Marbury can attest that his ability to set powerhouse screens approaches the effectiveness of the league's bigs. On the court, Szczerbiak lacks quickness, an effective handle, and the capacity to play acceptable defense. He also requires his team to run a highly disciplined offense to create his scoring opportunities. But, man, can he shoot!

Off the court, wonderful Wally is arrogant, and routinely castigates the basketball know-how of his teammates. But, man, can he shoot!

Throughout his career in Minnesota, Szczerbiak has privately blamed his teammates for being selfish, and for occasionally freezing him out of the offense. But, man, can he shoot!

Szczerbiak's presence in the lineup will force Boston to play a more deliberate style. Since Szczerbiak is strictly a finisher, Paul Pierce and Delonte West will be able to monopolize the ball.

Olowokandi is a stiff. His arrival in Beantown means that the Celts will make a full-time commitment to Kendrick Jenkins and Al Jefferson. But with the defenseless Szczerbiak on board, these two young bigs will be put in compromising positions on defense as they try to cover up for Wally's wishful but wobbly defense.

Dwayne Jones may someday become a good rebounder in the NBA. Or not.

With the trade, the Celtics lose speed, quickness, and a certain degree of defensive adhesiveness. But they also shed Davis' me-first and Blount's ultra-finesse game plans. Boston gains a dead-eye shooter and a Caucasian cutie, whom the locals will absolutely adore.

Davis' attitude, Blount's touches, and the T-Wolves' lack of interior power not withstanding, it seems that Minnesota got the best of the transaction.

Deuce_Wyld

Support BGOL
Registered
Re: cleaning house...

Makkonnen said:
subtraction by subtraction

ricky davis + KG = :smh:

I dissagree, Ricky Davis scored 26 for The T-Wolves
last night. As you know I reside in Minneapolis and the local media
was ready to run McHale outta town, especially after the season
the T-Wolves are having, unless something went down quick.

The Wolves are garbage this season, KG being the ONLY standout
Wally was having a good year, but Wally is a white boy, meaning
he dont play defense and he's not that athlethic. Sure he can shoot
but most white guys can shoot. The Wolves needed a slasher that can
create his own shot, play some defense and get to the hoop.

They also need a quality PG because that Marko Jaric mofo is a joke
so was wack ass Olowokandi but Blount aint no better, they both
were basically dead weight "throw ins" to complete the trade.

The coach was also quoted as saying he wont limit Ricky Davis game
being that he KG, and the rookie McCants can run the floor, so look
for The T-Wolves to run a more faster pace now since they got rid of a
couple stiffs.​

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor

Deuce_Wyld said:
The coach was also quoted as saying he wont limit Ricky Davis game being that he KG, and the rookie McCants can run the floor, so look for The T-Wolves to run a more faster pace now since they got rid of a couple stiffs.

If they do this, they will become a favorite team for me instantly

I don't understand why they got so many PGs though. Then

included Marcus Banks in the trade

But they got too many PGs:

Jaric

Hudson

Anthony Carter

Rashad McCants

Banks

all you really need is three and one will not play at all

Only in blowouts or in case of injury. The second string

will play about 15 minutes tops

Deuce_Wyld

Support BGOL
Registered

RunawaySlave said:
If they do this, they will become a favorite team for me instantly

I don't understand why they got so many PGs though. Then

included Marcus Banks in the trade

But they got too many PGs:

Jaric

Hudson

Anthony Carter

Rashad McCants

Banks

all you really need is three and one will not play at all

Only in blowouts or in case of injury. The second string

will play about 15 minutes tops

In McCants defense he's actually a two guard in a point guards body
sorta like an Iverson or Francis not saying he's on there level
but you know...............as far as

Marko Jaric :puke: (Suspect inconsistant stiff)

Troy Hudson :D (Streaky shooter when hes on you getting blown)

Anthony Carter :smh: (why is this nigga in the NBA.......seriously)

Rashad McCants :rolleyes: (The jury still out, but has shown flashes)

Marcus Banks :hmm: (Who?)​

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
marko jaric

most people know that i detest euros and the trash game they bring to the league, but that aside, i made a post before the season wondering why they lured him away from the clippers...

:confused:

what exactly did they see in him? or were the wolves just THAT dissatisfied with troy hudson (understandably)?

man, i'd rather run my O w/o a PG than try to have a euro lead it... :smh:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I realized that McCants is more of a "2", but he's not
gonna get much play there either. With Ricky at the 2/3 and
Trenton Hassell getting a much bigger role under Casey's
regime, Rashead might not get many minutes. He damn sure
wasn't getting at the 2 BEFORE Ricky got there, so I can't
imagine he'll get more after they just traded for him

That's why I didn't pick him up in our league....

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
trade yields results

cranrab said:
DAMN! did the celtics just get raped?

T-Wolves welcome Wally back with loss
/ Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Few people mentioned Marcus Banks in last week's seven-player deal between Minnesota and Boston.

On Monday night, it was Banks who made it look like the Timberwolves got the better of a trade headlined by Ricky Davis and Wally Szczerbiak.
Banks had a season-high 20 points and six assists to lead a strong showing by all four ex-Celtics in Minnesota's 110-85 victory.

Mark Blount added 16 points and 10 rebounds to support Kevin Garnett's 15 points and nine boards.

On Thursday, the Timberwolves sent Szczerbiak, centers Michael Olowokandi and Dwayne Jones and a conditional first-round pick to the Celtics for swingman Ricky Davis, Blount, Banks, forward Justin Reed and two second-round picks.

Banks was considered by some to be a throw-in player, but he delivered a game-changing performance.

"I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing when they got me," Banks said.

Szczerbiak had 22 points, but that wasn't enough to overcome a spirited effort from the ex-Celtics.

Banks, a disappointment in two years with Boston, said he was eager for a fresh start in Minnesota. He dazzled on Monday night, spearheading a 9-0 run to end the third quarter that included a spectacular jump pass to Davis, who had nine points, five rebounds and five assists, for a fastbreak dunk.

The Timberwolves have been aching for a true point guard since trading Sam Cassell in the offseason, and when Garnett was asked if he liked what he saw from Banks, he said, "I didn't like it. I loved it."

The crowd loved it too, cheering heartily throughout - for the new-look Wolves and their old favorite Szczerbiak.

Szczerbiak, who spent his first seven seasons in Minnesota, received a standing ovation upon being introduced before the game.

Signs reading, "WS: Gone but not forgotten," "We Want Wally Back!" and "Give me Back My Wally World!" were spotted and the Timberwolves scoreboard operator got a little confused, too. After Szczerbiak made two free throws in the first quarter, he played a sound effect that is normally reserved for the home team.

Looking a little tired from the whirlwind weekend that included the birth of his second child, Amberlee, on Monday afternoon, Szczerbiak made six of 15 shots, but went 9-for-9 from the free-throw line.

He embraced Garnett at center court before tip-off, drawing another cheer from the crowd that has read reports for years of the shaky relationship between the team's two stars.

"It was strange," said Szczerbiak, who twice went to shake hands with former teammates after a good shot. "But I've been really out of it these last three days."

Olowokandi, however, was not as warmly received. Vilified in Minnesota for his hefty salary and light production, he was booed every time he touched the ball.

After that, the former Celtics put on a show for ex-coach Doc Rivers.

Blount was active in the paint, Banks was electrifying on several drives to the basket and even Reed jump-started a few fastbreaks by catching long outlet passes from Garnett.

"They really came in to show us, prove a point, whatever you want to say," Rivers said. "They came in and played great, so just give them credit. ... But their performance didn't sway me at all with the trade. The trade was a tremendous trade for us and, hopefully, a good trade for them. One thing about Mark and all of them, I hope they do well. I just didn't want them to do well against us."

The Wolves shot 57 percent from the field and held Paul Pierce to 7-for-23 shooting. Pierce finished with 21 points and the Celtics lost their fifth straight road game.

Minnesota has had difficulty closing out teams for most of the season, including losing a 19-point lead to Philadelphia in a loss last week.

But Banks scored on a drive to the basket, then knocked down a jumper for a 90-65 lead to start the fourth quarter, handily outplaying Boston point guards Delonte West and Orien Greene.

"I wanted to really show them what I can do," Banks said. "Me and D-West and Green are pretty good friends, but my game is totally different from theirs. ... Basically I got the best of them tonight."

Notes
Olowokandi had two points in four minutes. ... Even Szczerbiak's return wasn't enough to boost the Timberwolves sagging attendance. There were plenty of seats available in the announced crowd of 17,003. The Wolves rank 26th in the NBA in attendance. ... Reed had nine points.