The Gentrification of East New York

smutsmut

Support BGOL
Registered
Here's the thing:

There are folks that had every opportunity to buy but choose not to do. My family grew up in Williamsburg, my father was able to buy the brownstone that my parents for $50,000 back and many of my former neighborhood had that choice but chose to waste their money frivolous stuff. ENY, Brownsville and Canarise are still places places that haven't been gentrify yet but still people don't take advantage of the situation.

Answer this question: How the hell White people are moving into buildings that are HDFC Co-Op where there are income restrictions and the building's boards has to approve them for them to move in? Think about it...

Canarsie is just as hard to transition but for a different reason. Canarsie has serious lack of public transportation. There is only 1 train station which is on Rockaway and Glenwood. I lived in Canarsie until I was 10 in 1990 so I literally did not ride a NYC subway until I was 11. So when I look at subway pictures from the 80's with all the graffiti it looks foreign to me I never saw any of that. No subway = No Gentrification

KRAYZIE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That fuck L train is a mission. The cab station next to the L train is make a killing off people down there.

dabushwackers

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I also grew up in canarise in the 90's and remember it was mostly white racist ppl that lived their. Black folks started moving in and buying cribs from Farragut rd and moved up to glenwood rd and the trend continued. I remember racist white ppl try to burn down Fillmore real estate because they were selling homes to black folks and Al Sharpton marching down flatlands av because of it. Now when you look at canarise you would never think it was once filled with white ppl cause you don't see anymore of them. I also remember the infamous L train I used to come home from clubbing at 4am and had to hike like 15 blocks home I hated that shit

Black Radical

Rising Star
Registered
Not wit them grimy ass niggas over there.. I will be shocked if it happens

I can see it happening at broadway junction but not in the belly of Brownsville
The junction has allot of underdeveloped land surrounding it so I can see that becoming something. BUt like u said, the rest of it. Nah.

The problem with gentrifying Brownsville is there are SOOOO many projects. Lots of em and their all over.

The neighborhood contains the highest concentration of NYCHA developments in New York City; NYCHA controls more than one-third of all of the neighborhood’s housing units.[5]
Low-income public housing projects[edit]

There are 18 NYCHA developments located in Brownsville.
[6]

This is whats gonna fuck Brownsville. You can do alot with low income housing, u can make it mixed income and shit like that. It is much more difficult to do that with the projects.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
lol sutter pitken lol yall niggas are too funny new lots ? yall got me in tears,,, what difference it makes if the train is around the corner when you have to walk between semi war zones? crown height yea- major streets plus bpl botanic garden proscpect park jews been had kingston, bedstuy , bushwick , wiillburg fort green yea,,, brownsville, east new york,,, not in the next 10 yrs,,, stores will open and close-- newbies will get got ----- niggas just ran up in a salon across the street from police tower,, and bang out on the police car that was parked there,,you wont even hear that shit on the news
Don't fool yourself - Bedstuy and Bushick were as thorough as anywhere else in Brooklyn in the 80s and early 90s - so yeah the war zones in ENY are going to be moved... My guess Atlantic and Liberty first -5 to 7 yrs.
I can't see Brownsville... not much subway, if it happens it will be long after ENY.
The city is now expert at moving people out -since 2004, I saw what they did at Atlantic Yards to owners and tenants, they emptied out an entire section of the Ft Greene projects and got every owner to kickout 4 to 6 blocks of existing businesses on Myrtle, Tillary, and Flatbush to make way for developers. Same with a lot more land in LIC, on smaller scales in Williamsburg Greenpoint and Bushwick... They've helped developers to option a lot of property in S Jamaica as part of paving the way for a new "airport village".

Black Radical

Rising Star
Registered
Don't fool yourself - Bedstuy and Bushick were as thorough as anywhere else in Brooklyn in the 80s and early 90s - so yeah the war zones in ENY are going to be moved... My guess Atlantic and Liberty first -5 to 7 yrs.
I can't see Brownsville... not much subway, if it happens it will be long after ENY.
The city is now expert at moving people out -since 2004, I saw what they did at Atlantic Yards to owners and tenants, they emptied out an entire section of the Ft Greene projects and got every owner to kickout 4 to 6 blocks of existing businesses on Myrtle, Tillary, and Flatbush to make way for developers. Same with a lot more land in LIC, on smaller scales in Williamsburg Greenpoint and Bushwick... They've helped developers to option a lot of property in S Jamaica as part of paving the way for a new "airport village".
Big parts of ENY are 2 fare zones thats gonna be an issue. They have a few projects too. ENY is like the edge of the earth.

bigdicdaddy

Rising Star
Registered

Bed stuy is prime real estate as far as close to trains and downtown / city and alot of brownstones - after the crack and Rockefeller laws settled in bed stuy was the main target - bushwick really ? Thorough late 80 and 90- where in NYC wasn't ? --- I'm not even gonna address the Atlantic yards -- don't fool yourself east New York and brownsville will take decades if ever to gentrify - but hey you all know brooklyn better than brooklynites than was born raised and still frequent said areas.