Summer Olympic Sports That We Can Do Without

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Table Tennis
Portalghora%2B-%2B11%2BOlahraga%2Bpaling%2Bpopuler%2Bdi%2Bmuka%2Bbumi%2B7.jpg

This has got to be the dumbest event in the Olympics. What are they going to put in next: foosball? air hockey? bumper pool? Not only that, they have the audacity to show it on TV, instead judo, wrestling or real tennis! Ping pong might be proper for the rec center olympics, but the summer olympics with real athletes? :cmonson:

Tae Kwon Do
taekwondo.jpg

Its bad enough that Olympic boxing has turned into 'point fighting', but to add another combat sport that over emphasizes point fighting while wearing a lot of cumbersome padding. What's the 'point'?

Badminton
badminton.jpg

Badminton. Nuff said.:hmm:

Honorable Mention: Tennis, Soccer and Golf(to be added in 2016). These sports already have bigger world stages than the Olympics (Wimbledon, World Cup, Masters, etc.) I don't mind these sports being in the Olympics, but if they weren't they wouldn't be missed.

P.S.
BRING BACK BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL!:angry:

Last edited:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Eight disqualified over Olympic badminton fixing

:smh:The eight women's doubles players -- four from South Korea, two from Indonesia and two from China -- were disqualified following a disciplinary hearing of the Badminton World Federation (BWF), the source told AFP.

"They have been disqualified," said the source.

All eight were charged with "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

Angry spectators jeered and booed the players on Tuesday after they appeared to deliberately serve into the net, or hit the shuttlecock long or wide.

They were allegedly attempting to manipulate the final standings in the first-round group stage, with pairs who had already qualified apparently wanting to lose to secure a favourable draw in the next round.

He added: "I prefer for them to be disqualified because it affects the reputation of badminton.:rolleyes:

This kind of thing frequently happens and the BWF have to take it really seriously. I hope this will be a lesson everyone can learn from."

Lin, the men's world number one, said the fault lay with organisers who set up a playing schedule that opened the door to match manipulation.

"It's not their (the players') fault," Lin said. "Whenever they set the rules they should take that situation into consideration. I don't understand why there is a group situation (rather than a straight knockout)."

Sources at the BWF told AFP the scandal will bring radical changes to the Olympic format and a tightening of the disciplinary regulations, with the sport's rulers under pressure to act swiftly.

This is not thew first time a major badminton tournament has been blighted by thrown matches.

A similar incident took place at the 2003 world championships in Birmingham, central England, when China's Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen were reprimanded after being found guilty of deliberately losing a quarter-final.

But the disciplinary meeting looking into that episode was held quietly at a later date, and a small fine imposed on the two Chinese players for allegedly not trying.

At stake now is badminton's Olympic status, which has been at risk in recent years after highly divisive internal politics, which reportedly brought a private warning from the IOC.

The BWF are also expected to drop the round-robin format used in London.

"It was clear what was going to happen, because so many people pointed out how the rules could be bent," said Britain's former Olympic silver medallist Gail Emms.

"I don't actually blame the players at all for what happened. They were only playing the system that was put in place.

"It was the new system that was wrong.

"The BWF was warned about it, but they decided to introduce it for the Olympics, of all occasions."

ShotzSho

Star
BGOL Investor
badmitton is a very fun sport, matter of fact when the shuttlecock comes off the racquet, it is the fastest moviing object in all of sports at 200 mph.... so if you hating the sport, you prolly need to work on your hand eye cooridnation. tyhe sport i can do without is beach volleyball, its very boring and no one can be a steller athelete in sand.

coldcrust

International
International Member
You have to take into consideration the Olympics are an event meant to bring out sports on a world wide scale..taken that into account badminton and tabletennis have a huge following in specially south east Asia.
As for Taekwondo I fully agree...the WTF was never suited for an event like this,its just plain boring with all the padding and no hands. The ITF Taekwondo system (the original Taekwondo system,mainly promoted by North Korea and the former communist countries) looks a lot better..without padding and allowing punches to the head.

I feel sports involving animals are no sports so all off the horsejumping and shit should go,also agree sports like football,tennis and cycling already have a mainstage and take away too much attention from other sports you practically only see at such a high level once every four years.

I would also look at swimming,change the format in which a swimmer can win a medal at every event he enters and that at every distance and make it into an allround competition.
I mean..if freestyle is the fastest way to swim,..why do they still swim any other way?

Having said all that..I have thouroughly enjoyed this years Olympics !

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
badmitton is a very fun sport, matter of fact when the shuttlecock comes off the racquet, it is the fastest moviing object in all of sports at 200 mph.... so if you hating the sport, you prolly need to work on your hand eye cooridnation.
:rolleyes: