Sports PASS/FAIL: Stephen A. Smith defends Clay Travis interview after alleged ESPN backlash

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Stephen A. Smith defends Clay Travis interview after alleged ESPN backlash​

By
Ryan Glasspiegel
April 20, 2023 7:32pm

Stephen A. Smith sent a message to everybody who was upset that he had Clay Travis on his podcast.

Smith hosted the OutKick founder on his Audacy “Know Mercy” podcast earlier this week, and the two opinionists had a wide-ranging conversation that included their thoughts on cancel culture and whether or not Donald Trump would be the likeliest Republican candidate to defeat Joe Biden in the 2024 presidential election.

There was some backlash on social media and sports blogs to the idea that Smith, an ESPN talent, “platformed” Travis, who has been persistently critical of ESPN as a company and personally mocked a number of on-air talents who work there for skewing too “woke.”

“I watched the reaction to my conversation with Clay Travis, obviously a successor to Rush Limbaugh on his radio show. You’ve got a lot of people writing stories and alluding to problems because I sat down and had a conversation.”

After Smith hosted Travis, The Big Lead editor-in-chief Kyle Koster tweeted, “Small sample size but Stephen A. Smith’s latest choice for a podcast guest has not been a huge hit internally.”

Ben Koo, the owner and editor-in-chief of the sports media website Awful Announcing, quote-tweeted Koster.

“Stephen A has largely been paid and been playing by his own rules,” Koo wrote. “ESPN folks have long understood and accepted this. His interview yesterday with ESPN’s biggest antagonist has had a major impact on how he’s seen internally. ‘Bad teammate’ is the kindest of what I’ve heard.”

Smith was up in arms over the idea that people had an issue with his amplifying a guest whose political commentary is polarizing.
Stephen A. Smith called out everyone who had a problem with him hosting Clay Travis on his podcast. Stephen A. Smith called out everyone who had a problem with him hosting Clay Travis on his podcast.GC Images Clay Travis founded OutKick and co-hosts the Clay and Buck radio program with Buck Sexton that replaced Rush Limbaugh.
Clay Travis founded OutKick and co-hosts the “Clay and Buck” radio program with Buck Sexton that replaced Rush Limbaugh.Getty Images

“These are the people who are a problem,” Smith continued. “I thoroughly enjoyed my conversation with Clay Travis. He has his opinions. I have mine. He expressed them cogently with clarity. You can agree or disagree. I have my opinions. That’s what makes the world goes round. That’s what ‘Know Mercy’ is about and that’s what the hell it’s gonna stay about.

“Let me be very, very clear: I talk to everybody. I don’t agree with a lot of people or a lot of things that people say. I don’t believe that’s a reason to hate them, any more than I want that to be a reason for them to hate me.

“Listen to what I have to say. If my points are valid, man up or woman up, and admit it. If it’s still wrong and you believe it in your heart, then say so! We move on! Because that’s what I’m gonna do.”

Travis directly mocked Koo for his tweet about the matter.

“Either name your ‘sources’ or quit whining,” Travis tweeted. “People loved the @stephenasmith and me podcast. That’s what has actually upset the woke, the conversation was so well received no one has even uttered a public word of negativity. So now we have to whisper about anonymous people whose feelings were hurt. So predictable.”

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Everything suck-ass-smith does is a fail. He is the court jester for whitey. The sad part is he doesn't even know it. Or, tragically he does and just doesn't care as long as he gets paid.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is about ratings...he knows that people will tune in to listen to him argue with someone.
That wasn't my point, America has a certain view of us that they need to keep going amoung non black people, Steph knows this and he does his job. The Don Lemon interview with that Asian GOP was a prime example of what needs to continue going on in America, Don knows this and that's why he was fired.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
SAS thinks he can be the bridge between parties
He thinks it’s makes him more money
Never forget what he did when ESPN fired during the first time there
A long time ago I tried to have a few conversations with Trump supporters, and that shit almost caused me to go to jail. Never again.
3 People I don’t need to have conversations with

Racist
Rapist
Child molesters

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
That wasn't my point, America has a certain view of us that they need to keep going amoung non black people, Steph knows this and he does his job. The Don Lemon interview with that Asian GOP was a prime example of what needs to continue going on in America, Don knows this and that's why he was fired.

I would like to watch this interview, when did he do this? I dont want to hear anything Clay Travis has to say. I've had debates online and in person with people and i can usually tell within the first 30 seconds what direction the discussion will go in.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would like to watch this interview, when did he do this? I dont want to hear anything Clay Travis has to say. I've had debates online and in person with people and i can usually tell within the first 30 seconds what direction the discussion will go in.

FLoss

“You better learn to work with the illegals nigga”
BGOL Investor
Fl37m-Ar-Xk-AAM2t5.jpg

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member

"Whatever you are??" He wanted to get fired at that point. Lemon shouldn't be "stunned" :smh:

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

"Whatever you are??" He wanted to get fired at that point. Lemon shouldn't be "stunned" :smh:
The asshole that fired Lemon, just got fired himself.

Dude did have it out for Lemon.

It's an interesting read, and showed how inept dude was as the head of CNN.