Sports Media: ESPN Discussion - Get Up First Take PTI Update: MASSIVE LAYOFFS 2003!! NEW ESPN brand sports betting app!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Side note......

Even though he clearly got his job from his dad....

I’ve got to say that I really enjoy Golic Jr.. he seems to be one of the few white hosts that does actually speak his mind and dude is fucking hilarious.

that young man has been a breath of fresh air...

I know it was nepotism

but damn it he earned it and he speaks TRUTH to power all the damn time.

Soo much so I'm seriously questioning who raised him...

and if ALL these white ESPN hosts DECIDE to take on these personas of right wing bullsh*t for the ratings.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
co-sign its nice to hear a young white voice on the radio that is 'woke' and has a sense of humor

but they did Lunberg dirty

with that said Get Up has grown on me
i enjoy the laid back vibe of it and Greeny works well as a host surrounded by strong personalities/opinions

i watch Golic/Wingo til 7 switch to Get Up at 7 & switch back to Golic/Wingo in the car

FACTS

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
co-sign its nice to hear a young white voice on the radio that is 'woke' and has a sense of humor

i enjoy the laid back vibe of it and Greeny works well as a host surrounded by strong personalities/opinions

i watch Golic/Wingo til 7 switch to Get Up at 7 & switch back to Golic/Wingo in the car

not bad, Get Up is STILL NOT appointment viewing, but it has improved

I cannot watch First Take at all anymore

But I try to always get a little Molly

I REALLY enjoy High Noon.

HNIC

Commander
Staff member

I watch Golic/Wingo til 7 switch to Get Up at 7 & switch back to Golic/Wingo in the car
I'm starting to watch get up also. I record First things First and watch it later in the day. My question is where is Jalen the last few days, I'm in and out of the show so maybe I'm missing him :dunno:

HNIC

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm starting to watch get up also. I record First things First and watch it later in the day. My question is where is Jalen the last few days, I'm in and out of the show so maybe I'm missing him :dunno:

HNIC

He is on vacation (most of the major top talent is)...

he calls into the show

BUT

here a MAJOR changes coming apparently by the beginning of football season apparently

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

Greeny and Jaleen aren’t the problem with Get Up..

The problem with Get up is that it’s an afternoon show mascarading as a morning show. It’s never going to do the same numbers as a regular morning sportscenter and it cost to much money....

But if it came on in the afternoon... like the 3-5 drive home ... it would be perfect.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
that young man has been a breath of fresh air...

I know it was nepotism

but damn it he earned it and he speaks TRUTH to power all the damn time.

Soo much so I'm seriously questioning who raised him...

and if ALL these white ESPN hosts DECIDE to take on these personas of right wing bullsh*t for the ratings.

I think his mom is pretty liberal but yeah...

Dude has surprised the shit out of me... to the point where ESPN really needs to consider giving him a better slot on his morning show. Personally I think the man (like his pops) is built for radio. I don’t want him on NFL prime time or other shows.. cause I think they will try to get him to conform to shit. But I would love to see him take Will Cain’s spot and Give him a partner. Like I could see him and Jason Fitz doing a show. They have great chemistry. It still boggles my mind that Jason Fitz is a fucking Classically trained violinist...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Dude has surprised the shit out of me... to the point where ESPN really needs to consider giving him a better slot on his morning show. Personally I think the man (like his pops) is built for radio. I don’t want him on NFL prime time or other shows.. cause I think they will try to get him to conform to shit. But I would love to see him take Will Cain’s spot and Give him a partner. Like I could see him and Jason Fitz doing a show. They have great chemistry. It still boggles my mind that Jason Fitz is a fucking Classically trained violinist...

PREACH

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

talking about RADIO...

specifically Stephen A Smith...

numbers are NOT good in NY.

Mike Francesa’s successful revenge comes with Kay hope

When WFAN and Mike Francesa reunited, it was purely a business decision. After a long retirement tour, Francesa could not find a job like the one he decided to leave, so he asked if he could come back. David Field, the president of Entercom — WFAN’s parent company — took Francesa in at a discounted price with the hope ratings would follow.

They have.

The business calculus of Francesa’s return is an initial success, judging by the spring book, released on Tuesday.

WFAN and Francesa finished third overall in the New York radio market behind 106.7 FM and WCBS. Its 6.0 share beat 98.7 ESPN New York’s “Michael Kay Show’s” 5.4, which was good enough for fourth.

In May and June, the months Francesa was back on from 3 to 6:30 p.m., he beat Kay’s show and was No. 1 overall in the market. In June, Francesa had a 6.4 to Kay’s 5.8.

FAN’s full spring book numbers were hurt by the team Francesa replaced, Chris Carlin, Maggie Gray and Bart Scott. In April, CMB tied Kay at 4.9 apiece.

While Kay’s program has never beaten Francesa’s over any three-month period, he and his partners, Don La Greca and Peter Rosenberg, will go into the fall feeling as if they have some momentum. Their spring ratings were very strong, despite again not being able to defeat their nemesis. If you take out the 50-and-over crowd, the “Kay Show” actually beat WFAN for the three-month period (5.7-5.0) among 25- to 49-year-old men.

Meanwhile, CMB, bumped down from afternoon drive to 1-3 p.m., found more of a rhythm and better ratings in its new spot. After barely losing to Kay in the winter book in afternoons, CMB took their demotion professionally and were rewarded with a 5.9 share, good for fourth in New York.

CMB was no doubt helped by going up against Stephen A. Smith’s national show instead of Kay’s local program. Smith had a 3.2 rating (11th in market) for his two hours leading into Kay. ESPN’s national programming is consistently an issue of its own choosing in New York. Due to national advertising, ESPN wants some Bristol-based programming in the New York market.

In the mornings, FAN’s “Boomer and Gio” rebounded after a slow start to finish with a 5.2 share, which was good for fifth in the market. On ESPN, “Golic and Wingo” had a 3.6, which was 12th.

Meanwhile, in mid-mornings — which are local vs. local — WFAN’s Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts picked up a 4.5 share (sixth) from 10 to 1, compared to ESPN’s Rick DiPietro, Chris Canty and Dave Rothenberg’s 3.3 (10th).

Clicker Classifieds: Sources say that former NFL quarterback Dan Orlovsky has agreed to be a football analyst with ESPN. The job, according to one source, would be more college football studio, but with some NFL as well. Orlovsky played his college ball near Bristol, at UConn. He was on four NFL teams during his 10-year career, spending the most time with the Lions. CBS, among others, also talked with Orlovsky about a job. …. The NFL Network’s “Good Morning Football” has won some acclaim, but it may lose one of its hosts. Sources say Kay Adams is in talks with ESPN about moving to its network. Adams hosts “Good Morning Football” with Nate Burleson, Peter Schrager and Kyle Brandt. One source said Adams would be brought to ESPN to work on fantasy football broadcasts. However, she could be an interesting addition in Bristol with ESPN’s new morning show “Get Up!” potentially undergoing changes at some point down the road.

Fox Sports deservedly took some heat for not having more of its top broadcasting teams in Russia to call World Cup games. For the whole tournament, only its top two teams have been calling the games from the venue. However, starting in the Round of 16, it flew Derek Rae and Aly Wagner over to Russia to call its games, according to a spokesperson. When commentating on the England-Sweden game, Rae said “here” once and commented on the beauty of the stadium in Samara, which seemed odd considering he was thought to be still calling games from Fox’s Los Angeles studios. It turns out Rae and Wagner were in Russia for the game.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Well Holy Shit... Now we know where Jason has been.

MY Man... Locked it down.

LUCKY SON OF A BITCH!!!!

ESPN co-stars Jalen Rose and Molly Qerim get married in New York City

Retired basketball star Jalen Rose finally has a ring.

Rose, 45, married fellow ESPN personality Molly Qerim, 34, in a recent private New York City ceremony before the couple honeymooned in Turks and Caicos, according to the New York Post’s Page Six. An “insider” confirmed the nuptials after Rose and Qerim were seen sporting rings in an Instagram photo.

Both Rose and Qerim have worked at ESPN for a decade. Qerim currently hosts “First Take,” a show on which Rose has often appeared. Rose is now a co-host of “Get Up.” The two shows often run opposite each other on ESPN and ESPN2. The couple first went public with their relationship in July 2016, when Rose called Qerim “Wifey” on Twitter, and it appears they survived this on-air exchange a year later.

Rose is best known as a member of Michigan’s “Fab Five,” the 1991 recruiting class that modernized basketball culture. He led the Wolverines to consecutive NCAA national championship games before NBA career that spanned 13 seasons and six teams, including a 2000 NBA Finals appearance with the Indiana Pacers. A ring always escaped the trendsetting basketball personality — until now.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Well Holy Shit... Now we know where Jason has been.

MY Man... Locked it down.

LUCKY SON OF A BITCH!!!!

ESPN co-stars Jalen Rose and Molly Qerim get married in New York City

Retired basketball star Jalen Rose finally has a ring.

Rose, 45, married fellow ESPN personality Molly Qerim, 34, in a recent private New York City ceremony before the couple honeymooned in Turks and Caicos, according to the New York Post’s Page Six. An “insider” confirmed the nuptials after Rose and Qerim were seen sporting rings in an Instagram photo.

Both Rose and Qerim have worked at ESPN for a decade. Qerim currently hosts “First Take,” a show on which Rose has often appeared. Rose is now a co-host of “Get Up.” The two shows often run opposite each other on ESPN and ESPN2. The couple first went public with their relationship in July 2016, when Rose called Qerim “Wifey” on Twitter, and it appears they survived this on-air exchange a year later.

Rose is best known as a member of Michigan’s “Fab Five,” the 1991 recruiting class that modernized basketball culture. He led the Wolverines to consecutive NCAA national championship games before NBA career that spanned 13 seasons and six teams, including a 2000 NBA Finals appearance with the Indiana Pacers. A ring always escaped the trendsetting basketball personality — until now.

wait WHAT!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

I think this is the BIG MONDAY NEWS about First Take they been talking about??!?!?!?!

:cheers:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/07/ma...ith-are-moving-to-a-new-spot-in-the-big-apple

:idea:

@fonzerrillii @HNIC @gdatruth

Max Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith are moving to a new spot in the Big Apple

ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith is getting two new homes.

The commentator’s radio show will be simulcast on ESPNNews beginning on August 13th, and his television show, First Take, is moving from Bristol, Conn. to New York in early September.

“With each passing month, the radio show continues to progress, to move on up, adding elements and components that will only contribute to our success,” Smith said in a statement.

“Simulcasting this show is yet another step in that direction, for myself, my team and, most importantly, for ESPN. As usual, now it’s time to get to work……and make it work……which we know I intend to do. Buckle Up!”

His First Take partner Max Kellerman, a New York native, told For The Win that he couldn’t be more excited about the move. The location, he hopes, is perfect to bring in more New York-based guests. And, the show’s new studio is in a good location.

“It looks so good,” he said. “You’re sitting there overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge, it’s amazing.”

Which means for fans, it’s more likely they’ll have the chance to do what fans of the show love to do when they see Kellerman: Shout sports opinions at him and Smith.

“(It happens) all the time walking down the street, wherever you go. And the other thing is, you can be with your family — people don’t care,” he said, laughing. “So my daughters are used to me and people shouting sports opinions at me. And usually I come up with something back. You don’t want to disappoint them.”

The news of the move and Smith’s simulcast isn’t the only big news for the First Take cast. Moderator Molly Qerim married former NBA-star Jalen Rose last week — a happy surprise, Kellerman said, to him.

“Molly and Jalen are two of the best people,” he said. “Molly is such a good person — such a good person — just to deal with, just to know, the way she treats people is just a pleasure.

“And Jalen’s the same way — you can see why he was such a good point guard in college and the pros. He walks into the room — Magic Johnson had the same thing — he walks into a room and he makes everyone believe they can be the best version of themselves.”

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
great news for all parties involed.
no one wants to live in bristol.
seems like ny will become the glamour spot

max and Steve are very rarely in the same studio.
Greenberg in ny
Jacoby in ny
Jalen and molly can be in ny

I like the unification of first Take and Get Up essentially...

(good for Molly and Jalen!)

but the Stephen A Smith simulcast seems like a mistake...

his ratings locally in NY are trash and his national ratings ain't that great either.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I like the get up combination this morning but with the start of training camp .... it’s crystal clear that the show needs a football guy or girl....

Also.... I really really like the Golic & Jason fitz combination. They need a show.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Jesus it’s like two cups of hot chocolate on get up right now.... what the heck just happened. greeny is off set.. who is baby girl in the red.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Damn
Chiney Ogwumike was freaking good... that combination with her and Maria Taylor and Jalen was perfect. I need more of that.

BY the way... Maria Taylor is fucking killing it as a cohost.

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
ESPN Should Pivot Get Up Into SportsCenter With Mike Greenberg

Chemistry is a very difficult thing to predict, but Greeny and Michelle Beadle just do not have it together. Neither appears comfortable when the other is driving the conversation. Just as occurred when Beadle was out of the studio during the NBA Finals, Maria Taylor has filled in for her this week with a much fresher energy, yielding a conversation that flows much better for viewers. It is impossible to ignore. (Once Charissa Thompson turned down the role, I’ll admit that I thought, given they were going forward with this idea, Beadle was the best internal fit. That opinion was incorrect.)

Get Up Needs a Gut Rehab
Obviously, this is an inconvenient truth for ESPN, which gave Beadle a raise to a reported $5 million in exchange for convincing her to switch coasts, leaving a life behind in Los Angeles where she had become very comfortable hosting Countdown and driving SportsNation. She had rebuilt her career after returning to ESPN, following a disastrous stint at NBC that even she referred to as a “hot mess.”

But Beadle herself triggered a similar uprootingof a colleague just 1.5 years ago. At the outset of the 2016-17 NBA season, Beadle began splitting the Countdown hosting role with Sage Steele. Because ESPN decisionmakers felt that Beadle brought much crisper chemistry to the show, Steele was abruptly uprooted from her seat before that same season’s playoffs, and had little choice but to uproot her family to the East Coast where she eventually became the anchor of morning SportsCenter.

Discussing Get Up, High Noon, and WWE on Fox With Richard Deitsch
After Steele’s morning SportsCenter got bumped to ESPN2 for the launch of Get Up, she then became the co-host of 6PM SportsCenter with Kevin Negandhi, consummating a renaissance that ironically should be the template for why it is profoundly obvious ESPN should move away from Beadle on Get Up.

After about a decade of a tide of debate replacing news and highlights, the latter became a comparative scarcity, especially for people about to head to or just returning from work. ESPN underrated the extent to which a tension-free SportsCenter, that wrapped up yesterday’s occurrences or set the table for tonight’s, was a habitual part of its viewers’ day.

Beyond that, there aren’t enough talented debaters to fill the hours in the day on ESPN and FS1. You can definitely count them on less than two hands, and based on personal preferences we could conceivably split hairs all the way down to one.

Beyond the chemistry, a core problem with Get Up is its identity: Some segments are debate, some are news and highlights. That was one of the reasons why SC6 with Michael Smith and Jemele Hill didn’t work: trying to meld those two disparate formats — His & Hers meets SportsCenter — into one show made it feel disjointed. Even though it was not what they signed up for, the show was better when it shifted to traditional SportsCenter.

If you’re not going to have a captivating must-see opinionist or years-earned chemistry, the best option in sports television is to keep things moving quickly and minimize tension. A Greeny-centric SportsCenter could do just that.

With that platform, you could try out different things. Highly Questionable, after Bomani Jonesleft the show to launch High Noon, has succeeded with a revolving door of co-hosts. You could try that out with Greeny, and there are almost literally endless names that fit the bill: Maria Taylor, Elle Duncan, Adam Schefter, Stugotz, A-Rod, Chris Berman. Just play ESPN Mad Libs. Do Mike & Mike reunion week for the start of the NFL Playoffs. Get wild and simulcast it on ESPN Radio. Have an ensemble of experts and analysts contribute their two cents a segment at a time, which is working fantastically at 6pm now.

As far as what happens with Beadle and Jalen Rose, it’s tough to say. There’s a natural spot open on SportsNation with Marcellus Wiley leaving for FS1, but would Beadle and Cari Champion have chemistry? It’s tough to see her playing a Jemele Hill utility role because she doesn’t write and wouldn’t fit great in places like Around the Horn. A retreat into only hosting Countdown wouldn’t be the end of the world, all things considered, but there’s the psychological barrier of ESPN constantly hearing the question, “Why are you paying her $5 million a year?” Nevertheless, that’s a sunk cost, made by a previous regime, and answering that question over and over beats the alternative.

Jalen is more versatile. He’s already also appearing on Jalen & Jacoby. Bill Simmons has hinted at a reunion on ESPN+. He could remain a daily presence on Greeny SportsCenter — after all, the NBA talk never stops — even if he’s not a pillar host.

Get Up does not feel like it can be salvaged with its current hosting format. The sooner it reverts to SportsCenter, the better off everyone involved with this will be in the long run.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/26/espn-get-up-mike-greenberg-sportscenter/amp/#amp_tf=From %1$s

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
ESPN Should Pivot Get Up Into SportsCenter With Mike Greenberg

Chemistry is a very difficult thing to predict, but Greeny and Michelle Beadle just do not have it together. Neither appears comfortable when the other is driving the conversation. Just as occurred when Beadle was out of the studio during the NBA Finals, Maria Taylor has filled in for her this week with a much fresher energy, yielding a conversation that flows much better for viewers. It is impossible to ignore. (Once Charissa Thompson turned down the role, I’ll admit that I thought, given they were going forward with this idea, Beadle was the best internal fit. That opinion was incorrect.)

Get Up Needs a Gut Rehab
Obviously, this is an inconvenient truth for ESPN, which gave Beadle a raise to a reported $5 million in exchange for convincing her to switch coasts, leaving a life behind in Los Angeles where she had become very comfortable hosting Countdown and driving SportsNation. She had rebuilt her career after returning to ESPN, following a disastrous stint at NBC that even she referred to as a “hot mess.”

But Beadle herself triggered a similar uprootingof a colleague just 1.5 years ago. At the outset of the 2016-17 NBA season, Beadle began splitting the Countdown hosting role with Sage Steele. Because ESPN decisionmakers felt that Beadle brought much crisper chemistry to the show, Steele was abruptly uprooted from her seat before that same season’s playoffs, and had little choice but to uproot her family to the East Coast where she eventually became the anchor of morning SportsCenter.

Discussing Get Up, High Noon, and WWE on Fox With Richard Deitsch
After Steele’s morning SportsCenter got bumped to ESPN2 for the launch of Get Up, she then became the co-host of 6PM SportsCenter with Kevin Negandhi, consummating a renaissance that ironically should be the template for why it is profoundly obvious ESPN should move away from Beadle on Get Up.

After about a decade of a tide of debate replacing news and highlights, the latter became a comparative scarcity, especially for people about to head to or just returning from work. ESPN underrated the extent to which a tension-free SportsCenter, that wrapped up yesterday’s occurrences or set the table for tonight’s, was a habitual part of its viewers’ day.

Beyond that, there aren’t enough talented debaters to fill the hours in the day on ESPN and FS1. You can definitely count them on less than two hands, and based on personal preferences we could conceivably split hairs all the way down to one.

Beyond the chemistry, a core problem with Get Up is its identity: Some segments are debate, some are news and highlights. That was one of the reasons why SC6 with Michael Smith and Jemele Hill didn’t work: trying to meld those two disparate formats — His & Hers meets SportsCenter — into one show made it feel disjointed. Even though it was not what they signed up for, the show was better when it shifted to traditional SportsCenter.

If you’re not going to have a captivating must-see opinionist or years-earned chemistry, the best option in sports television is to keep things moving quickly and minimize tension. A Greeny-centric SportsCenter could do just that.

With that platform, you could try out different things. Highly Questionable, after Bomani Jonesleft the show to launch High Noon, has succeeded with a revolving door of co-hosts. You could try that out with Greeny, and there are almost literally endless names that fit the bill: Maria Taylor, Elle Duncan, Adam Schefter, Stugotz, A-Rod, Chris Berman. Just play ESPN Mad Libs. Do Mike & Mike reunion week for the start of the NFL Playoffs. Get wild and simulcast it on ESPN Radio. Have an ensemble of experts and analysts contribute their two cents a segment at a time, which is working fantastically at 6pm now.

As far as what happens with Beadle and Jalen Rose, it’s tough to say. There’s a natural spot open on SportsNation with Marcellus Wiley leaving for FS1, but would Beadle and Cari Champion have chemistry? It’s tough to see her playing a Jemele Hill utility role because she doesn’t write and wouldn’t fit great in places like Around the Horn. A retreat into only hosting Countdown wouldn’t be the end of the world, all things considered, but there’s the psychological barrier of ESPN constantly hearing the question, “Why are you paying her $5 million a year?” Nevertheless, that’s a sunk cost, made by a previous regime, and answering that question over and over beats the alternative.

Jalen is more versatile. He’s already also appearing on Jalen & Jacoby. Bill Simmons has hinted at a reunion on ESPN+. He could remain a daily presence on Greeny SportsCenter — after all, the NBA talk never stops — even if he’s not a pillar host.

Get Up does not feel like it can be salvaged with its current hosting format. The sooner it reverts to SportsCenter, the better off everyone involved with this will be in the long run.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/26/espn-get-up-mike-greenberg-sportscenter/amp/#amp_tf=From %1$s

Everything stated in here is fact

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Damn
Chiney Ogwumike was freaking good... that combination with her and Maria Taylor and Jalen was perfect. I need more of that.

BY the way... Maria Taylor is fucking killing it as a cohost.

Two fucking cups of chocolate

I mean she’s fucking KILLED her segment. On the real... I would love to see her recurring on Insecure.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Everything stated in here is fact

So it wasn't just BGOL that thought Beadle was an odd fit...

the thing is if they redo Sportscenter AGAIN?

What they gonna air in that slot?

I think you gotta BRING BACK HIS & HERS and have the PTI/HQ/ High Noon producers do it proper.

Honestly as much as I LOVE Molly First Take can go too.

and NOTICE the writer of that article co signed what I told ya'll FOREVER

Greeny aint no lead but damn it..he knows how to EXPERTLY DRIVE a panel...

and that is a RARE and valuable skill.

they need to also cancel Intentional Talk too.

I would appreciate a daily ONE on ONE interview sit down show.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Get Up Needs a Gut Rehab

There is no sugarcoating it: Get Up has been a profound disappointment from both an audience and content perspective, and it’s really starting to feel like the time to consider wholesale changes in an attempt to salvage the show.

The biggest reason is the chemistry. There is no sense, to me, that Mike Greenberg, Michelle Beadle, and Jalen Rose are inspired by each other emotionally or intellectually. At times when the three are laughing, it can almost feel contrived, like they know there should be mutual levity there but have to strain a little to muster it.

The strategy of launching the show on April 2nd was to take advantage of the NBA playoffs, which for the first three rounds were about as hot as promised. While there were some promising days in there for viewership, many of those presumably more casual viewers who had a chance to sample are not returning in these dog days.

The topic selection on the show is not the issue. They discuss most of the same news and debates as the rest of the generalist shows (i.e. not The Jump or NFL Live, which delve more deeply into their respective sports) in ESPN’s weekday lineup. It comes back to the hosts just frankly not gelling well together and producing what is a supremely skippable conversation.

We have heard assurances that this show has at least through the football season to prove it merits a continued existence, but if it were me I’d do a dramatic overhaul. If I were booking the show, I would replace Michelle Beadle with Maria Taylor, who guest-hosted during the NBA Finals and for whatever reason immediately clicked better with Greeny than Beadle has in 2+ months.

It’s hard to explain exactly why chemistry works sometimes and others it doesn’t, but it was just noticeable that Taylor brought a fresher energy to the show. I brought this up on a podcast with Richard Deitsch, and the next day Michael McCarthy of Sporting News made a similar observation:

Beadle and Jalen are basketball-first personalities, and I’m in agreement with McCarthy that they should beef up the football presence a bit. In addition to Taylor, who works sidelines on ESPN’s top college football team, Dianna Russini and Ryan Clark, who have both been on the show, would be strong regular fixtures.

The NBA is a 12-month conversation now, and Jalen should remain a daily presence for those discussions, but I’d put him on football a little more sparingly.

I will admit a few things: I didn’t expect the show to be successful, though it has surprised me the extent to which it has disappointingly performed. I also thought Beadle would be as good an option as anybody in the company after Charissa Thompson was informally offered the role but opted to stay at Fox. But, I just don’t get the sense that this is ever going to work as the hosts are presently constructed.

The best idea here would probably be to keep the set, but call it SportsCenter. It puts Get Up in the rear-view, and the SportsCenter brand is in my opinion stronger than it’s been in years. An ESPN press release said that Scott Van Pelt’s midnight SportsCenter was up 62% in May; on May 27th, following Cavs-Celtics Game 7, it averaged 4.2 million viewers (virtually the whole month benefitted from a great first three rounds of the NBA playoffs). 6PM SportsCenter with Sage Steele and Kevin Negandhi is also really pleasant to watch as the pregame show for the evening in sports.

There are a lot of outside reasons you can give for why Get Up is struggling with ratings. Andrew Marchand brought up NFL Network and MLB Network, where people can watch about the sports they care about. Neither of these two, and throw in First Things First on FS1, are in the realm of ESPN’s audience (though Undisputed is getting there for its first half-hour versus Get Up’s last, before ESPN gains a big lead in viewership with First Take), but collectively they’ve definitely chipped away at it. They were a non-factor 5+ years ago. Clay Travis brought up that less young men are unemployed right now, and that could eat into ESPN’s daytime audience.

The last three days have been particularly bad for Get Up viewers — under 200,000 on Thursday and Friday, slightly over on Monday — in large part because a lot of people would prefer to watch live sports in the World Cup than people talking about NBA free agency and trying to psychoanalyze Tom Brady’s Oprah interview.

It’s weird: many of us consider the halcyon days of SportsCenter to be the 1990’s. At that time, they didn’t have original programming all morning. We’d watch re-runs of the episodes in the mornings and eventually memorize the jokes. There’s no way that would fly today, though. Not when we all saw the highlights we care about the night before and opinions are freaking everywhere.

Even with all the constraints, I reject the notion that there is nothing ESPN could do to succeed in the morning. First Take, which immediately spikes in viewership, proves that. There isn’t some magical potion that makes someone want sports content at 10 a.m. that he/she didn’t want at 9. But I also can’t stand here and pitch an idea that I’m certain would double the audience and be so great it drew people away from the other sports networks, the light news morning programs, or the Trump reality show that is somehow still inexorably churning three years later.

But if they don’t try something different than the status quo for Get Up soon, ESPN risks a sustained loss of audience that would not be easy to win back.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/06/19/get-up-mike-greenberg-michelle-beadle-maria-taylor/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
ESPN Exploring New Fixtures on Get Up, Including Adam Schefter and Paul Finebaum

With ESPN’s new morning show Get Up set to enter its first football season, ESPN is in active conversations in regards to adding a rotating cast of personalities with football backgrounds to the show, The Big Lead has learned from two people with knowledge of the news. Unauthorized to speak publicly on the matter, they requested anonymity.

There are at least five names being discussed, highlighted by Adam Schefter and Paul Finebaum.

The idea would be to have each personality assigned to a specific day of the week to join the regular cast of Mike Greenberg, Michelle Beadle, and Jalen Rose. ESPN could elect to use them as the fourth co-host or feature them in and out throughout the program. Making these recurring spots happening on the same day each week would give ESPN a mechanism to promote habits.

While nothing is final, and several things could still be tweaked, considered, or changed this idea is at the forefront of options being discussed.

An ESPN spokesperson declined to comment.

Get Up‘s struggles have been well documented as the current staff and format has never seemed to click with the viewing public. Michael McCarthy of Sporting News previously reported in May that Get Upcould be in for changes by football season. A football presence on the show is needed, as two-thirds of the cast are unequivocally more associated with the NBA. It is crucial for the show to make gains by football season, as it lays the foundation for the rest of ESPN programming.

Both Schefter and Finebaum have a history with the show’s most important piece, Greenberg, dating back to being frequent guests on Mike & Mike.

The Big Lead has not been able to confirm other targets, but it would make sense that Booger McFarland, Damien Woody, and Ryan Clarkare in the mix, as all have spent time in the fourth chair on Get Up in its early months and come from NFL backgrounds.

Adam Schefter would give the show tremendous value by having the top news-breaker in the sport on hand. This could also be a way for him to branch into analysis, discussing not just the what but the whyand how in the NFL landscape.

The more controversial Paul Finebaum has a following and can move the needle when discussing college football. It is worth pointing out that traditionally shows of this format do not spend a ton of time discussing college football. Finebaum recently signed a multiyear contract extension with ESPN after rumors of a potential departure from the network emerged in early July.

Changes are going to be made, not even six months into the show’s existence. Those changes–which will likely include big names in Schefter and Finebaum–will provide additional time to see what works during football season.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/19/espn-get-up-adam-schefter-paul-finebaum-mike-greenberg/

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
So it wasn't just BGOL that thought Beadle was an odd fit...

the thing is if they redo Sportscenter AGAIN?

What they gonna air in that slot?

I think you gotta BRING BACK HIS & HERS and have the PTI/HQ/ High Noon producers do it proper.

Honestly as much as I LOVE Molly First Take can go too.

and NOTICE the writer of that article co signed what I told ya'll FOREVER

Greeny aint no lead but damn it..he knows how to EXPERTLY DRIVE a panel...

and that is a RARE and valuable skill.

they need to also cancel Intentional Talk too.

I would appreciate a daily ONE on ONE interview sit down show.

They have got to something cause it’s not working. I mean it works better with Maria Taylor but it’s just a problem...

I agree... you put Greeny hosting his own Sportscenter and make it like a morning version of the midnight version of Sportscenter...

Every show doesn’t need to have a debate especially at that time. I’ll continue to say it until my dying breathe.. the show is built for the afternoon. You put that bad boy on from 2-4 and it will pull numbers.

But nothing about the show stands out from it’s competition and once football kicks in.. it’s got major problems. I don’t want to hear Jalen and Michelle talk about Football.. and you really can’t operate a panel show like that with just one football guy. Greeny gets the semi pass cause he was a football beat writer but his perspective is clearly as a fan..

As for His & Hers... ESPN is going to fuck to and let Jamele and Michael go to ESPN or HBO and dominate their new show.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OK I noticed I am liking this show more...

without Beadle

COULD just be a coincidence
Beadle blows, bottom line. I have never cared for her at all. Plus she has thrown numerous black athletes under the bus over the years and always plays the white girl victim when shit gets real. Fuck her.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Two fucking cups of chocolate

I mean she’s fucking KILLED her segment. On the real... I would love to see her recurring on Insecure.

If they could bring in Taylor Rooks, I would watch the show every damn day. :inlove:

53mSjGd.jpg